The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Found this on Gunbroker a couple of weeks ago and finally picked it up from the FFL yesterday. It's a stop gap until the one I factory ordered in August is finally ready, which I recently heard from the dealer is going to be delayed further due to covid restrictions in Italy. So, I decided to just find a used one for now to tide me over. Still need to get this one tubed and get the stock adjusted to my measurements before I can start shooting it for real, but at least I have it in my hands now. 

82551837_IMG_52392.jpg.36ae1dbf55b2f734209ae3cea5ba05b9.jpg

IMG_5235.jpg.33901bf8ef87aa0f21ec5805060ed1fd.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5

22 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

It comes with the bayonet.  If he ends up using that on a pig, I'll be impressed

I do understanding that hunting with a rifle that has a bayonet attached is illegal in some areas.  Just make sure you check first.  Pigs probably ok.  Deer, maybe not - as often those two intermix as you might hunt both at the same time.  

10 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I do understanding that hunting with a rifle that has a bayonet attached is illegal in some areas.  Just make sure you check first.  Pigs probably ok.  Deer, maybe not - as often those two intermix as you might hunt both at the same time.  

Thanks for the heads up.  I truly doubt the bayonet will ever be fixed or deployed.  Unless, you know, zombies and shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I truly doubt the bayonet will ever be fixed or deployed.  Unless, you know, zombies and shit.

Old rules, like carrying a "blackjack" or a "club" being illegal that harkens back to a bygone age.  Learned from a Warden that stopped me when I had one on an old SKS with the folding bayonet.  

Edited by BabaYaga

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Old rules, like carrying a "blackjack" or a "club" being illegal that harkens back to a bygone age.  Learned from a Warden that stopped me when I had one on an old SKS with the folding bayonet.  

Thank goodness we usually leave our dueling sabers at home when out hunting.

20 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I wanna call bullshit on that and tell the fish cop to show me where it says so in that TPWD outdoor annual.    No such rule under  Chap. 46: Weapons regarding blades except for location restricted knives.

Edited by davidg

4 minutes ago, davidg said:

I wanna call bullshit on that and tell the fish cop to show me where it says so in that TPWD outdoor annual.    No such rule under  Chap. 46: Weapons regarding blades except for location restricted knives.

Maybe so, never bothered to check

36 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Old rules, like carrying a "blackjack"

Do not underestimate the effectiveness of a blackjack. Easily concealable and rapidly deployed. My Dad used to carry one along with a snubnosed Ruger .38 Special.

Edited by RPM

26 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Im wanna finally bite the bullet and get a suppressor. 

Who all local to Round Rock/Gtown sells them/handles paperwork?

Had a buddy recommend Guns Plus in Georgetown.

Just checking here if any surly folks had a good rec. close by.

Looking at Texas Silencer Company cans.

I've bought a couple from Capitol Armory.  

Edited by cabowabo

30 minutes ago, RPM said:

Do not underestimate the effectiveness of a blackjack. Easily concealable and rapidly deployed. My Dad used to carry one along with a snubnosed Ruger .38 Special.

Yep - learned about those when I wanted to get a collapsible baton for hiking, the ranch, etc.  

Silencer shop sells them, you can go on their site and see which stores around you specifically have one and a kiosk

11 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Found this on Gunbroker a couple of weeks ago and finally picked it up from the FFL yesterday. It's a stop gap until the one I factory ordered in August is finally ready, which I recently heard from the dealer is going to be delayed further due to covid restrictions in Italy. So, I decided to just find a used one for now to tide me over. Still need to get this one tubed and get the stock adjusted to my measurements before I can start shooting it for real, but at least I have it in my hands now. 

82551837_IMG_52392.jpg.36ae1dbf55b2f734209ae3cea5ba05b9.jpg

IMG_5235.jpg.33901bf8ef87aa0f21ec5805060ed1fd.jpg

Sweet, Are you in Austin?  If so I'll send you the name of a guy who can fit it for you.

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

Damn @fattyflattie, that’s one hell of a story.  Not that it’s ever a real issue for me, but I won’t hunt with people I don’t know. Especially organized quail hunting. And who uses 7 shot for quail? Maybe for blues. 

Used 7 & 7 1/2 before, but that was in country with chukars and grouse.  Try to use 8 when I can obviously.

Semi related story.  My quail dog is getting old and losing muscle mass    About once a month I find a #8 pellet on the floor of the house.  About a dozen so far.   Apparently they are slowly working their way out of his skin.  Thousands of quail, chukar, etc... have been shot over him.   Over the years he has picked up some stray pellets from 60+ yards.  Lots of people hunting over him.  Vet friends tell me that people are amazed when they bring their bird dogs in for X-rays.  

944BC19E-6A16-4481-B3E0-1BA927C7A689.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

Nope on that place. I wondered in a while back and their pricing was insane and service was suspect.

Go to guns warehouse or silencer shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Damn @fattyflattie, that’s one hell of a story.  Not that it’s ever a real issue for me, but I won’t hunt with people I don’t know. Especially organized quail hunting. And who uses 7 shot for quail? Maybe for blues. 

Yeah, I don't anymore.  But ALOT of my hunting over the last several years is on vendor hunts with big groups and whatnot.  I was still in my 20's then too, invincible and all that.  But I'm the one leading the safety talks with whoever I am near, now.   

I saved a few of the pellets I dug out of my ears.  It was 7 or 7.5 iirc.  Either way, tiny little lead fuckers.  Small enough to have some decent deformation on a few of them.  The only ones that bother me anymore is the one in the top of my hand, and the one in my forehead sinus.  I have one in my chin that used to give me shit but hasn't in a few years.  I'll drop something between the car seats and reach for it about once a year, smashing the one in the top of my hand, and it is a whole other type of pain.  Like someone shoving an ice pick through the top of my hand.  But day to day unnoticeable.  

Why why why. I just want a 300 blackout on an ar platform with a can and my thermal scope on top. It is so hard finding a gun and then on top of that the ammo.

PSA has their 300blk kits in stock.

Zincpoint, gorilla and freedom ammunition all have 300blk ammo.

Just bought another 100rds of the Hornady vmax 110gr from freedom. They also have hpbt in stock

Was gonna order a bucket of the gorilla 115gr pig punisher but I forgot to complete the transaction when I got called to dinner... came back a few hours later and they were sold out. Damnit. They still have buckets of their gameking 300blk though

zimcpoint has fmj, hpbt and hornady a-max in stock
  • Like 1

Why why why. I just want a 300 blackout on an ar platform with a can and my thermal scope on top. It is so hard finding a gun and then on top of that the ammo.

Atwood’s in Mt Pleasant supposedly has a fair amount of 300blk ammo. I haven’t gone to see yet. You know all you need is a barrel to swap it over from a 5.56 though? I mean, I’d get an upper if it was me. Unless you don’t already have an ar.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Atwood’s in Mt Pleasant supposedly has a fair amount of 300blk ammo. I haven’t gone to see yet. You know all you need is a barrel to swap it over from a 5.56 though? I mean, I’d get an upper if it was me. Unless you don’t already have an ar.

Yes.  But I have LaRue mounts and optics (Aimpoint magnifier and Eotech 512 red dot) on the 556, and want to have both available without swapping.   And thanks for the tip on MTP, I have to run to Mt Vernon this weekend at some point. 

LAX Ammunition re-man. has never let me down.  

I wouldn't shoot someone else's hand loads that I don't know well and trust;   As I know plenty of people well......some that I wouldn't trust loading a slingshot for me.

A large scale producer of re-manufactured ammo like Gorilla, LAX or any of the others - No worries.

• Hook 'Em 1

So Gorilla has their pig punisher 115gr Lehigh controlled chaos 300blk bucket(175 rounds) is back in stock. After shipping $1.5428 ppr

Just ordered 1

That’ll put me up back around 500rds of hog ammo for the 300blk, maybe 50rds of fmj plinking, 20rds of subsonic ammo.

Guess I can start replenishing my .308 ammo next. Would help if federal would hurry up and fulfill my fusion order.

Nope on that place. I wondered in a while back and their pricing was insane and service was suspect.

Go to guns warehouse or silencer shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ran by guns plus, ammo price gouging mfers. Wasnt gonna give em any business and they mentioned they were outta texas silincer co outrider cans.
Called guns warehouse and they referred me to the silencer shop.
Made my way there and got 2 outriders and kiosk was quick and easy. Great service and great price. One of the reps was an old hs buddy that used to work for STI.
Would recommend them to anyone.
Thanks for the recs handc.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

So Gorilla has their pig punisher 115gr Lehigh controlled chaos 300blk bucket(175 rounds) is back in stock. After shipping $1.5428 ppr

Just ordered 1

That’ll put me up back around 500rds of hog ammo for the 300blk, maybe 50rds of fmj plinking, 20rds of subsonic ammo.

Guess I can start replenishing my .308 ammo next. Would help if federal would hurry up and fulfill my fusion order.

I’ve been a big user of Lehigh’s bullets for some time, including the Controlled Chaos.

If you’re looking to actually recover hogs then I’d advise CNS shots.  Controlled Chaos are very lethal but hogs  usually have a lot of run in them if shot behind the shoulder.  We don’t choose to recover a lot of our hogs so it’s perfect for us.  Very lethal but they usually get a good 100+ yards out before expiring.  Gets them out of proximity of feeders and food plots but they don’t suffer / linger like an FMJ or a gut shot.

If your hunting them to butcher, the Controlled Chaos is a bit pricy for what needs to be a head / neck shot if you want them DRT and eliminate tracking.  If you’re shooting in the ear anyway, save the $ and use an fmj.

IMO the Controlled Chaos is more of a self defense round that won’t over-penetrate than  a fast recovery game round.

They’re in a PCC in my bedroom for home defense, but I only shoot hogs with them if I’m feeding coyotes. 

Just my real world observations- YMMV

Also- love Lehigh Extreme Penetrator and Extreme Cavitator for large bore handgun hunting AND game recovery!!! 

Yes.  But I have LaRue mounts and optics (Aimpoint magnifier and Eotech 512 red dot) on the 556, and want to have both available without swapping.   And thanks for the tip on MTP, I have to run to Mt Vernon this weekend at some point. 

Let me know if they have any. I haven’t been but I need to run up there.
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 2:30 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Revolver has been purchased. The versatility of the S&W Governor won me over. shoots .410, .45LC and .45ACP (using moonclips), and unlike the Taurus Judge it has a six round cylinder.

despite the size, it was comfortable to handle and surprisingly light at 34oz. 

Now I need to go shoot some clays. 

In retrospect, versatility made this Gun an excellent choice during an ammo shortage. It’s hard to find any of the above but I can usually find one of them. With there were more .45 Colt options, but acp works, and .410’s are fun as shit.

I’ve been a big user of Lehigh’s bullets for some time, including the Controlled Chaos.
If you’re looking to actually recover hogs then I’d advise CNS shots.  Controlled Chaos are very lethal but hogs  usually have a lot of run in them if shot behind the shoulder.  We don’t choose to recover a lot of our hogs so it’s perfect for us.  Very lethal but they usually get a good 100+ yards out before expiring.  Gets them out of proximity of feeders and food plots but they don’t suffer / linger like an FMJ or a gut shot.
If your hunting them to butcher, the Controlled Chaos is a bit pricy for what needs to be a head / neck shot if you want them DRT and eliminate tracking.  If you’re shooting in the ear anyway, save the $ and use an fmj.
IMO the Controlled Chaos is more of a self defense round that won’t over-penetrate than  a fast recovery game round.
They’re in a PCC in my bedroom for home defense, but I only shoot hogs with them if I’m feeding coyotes. 
Just my real world observations- YMMV
Also- love Lehigh Extreme Penetrator and Extreme Cavitator for large bore handgun hunting AND game recovery!!! 

Good write up, there is very little recovery outside of dragging them off our land. That’s basically it.

Don’t care where they run to outside of the pond...

15 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I pulled the back straps out of a hog I shot the other day. I’m always blown away how thick those “plates” are over their shoulders. I can’t imagine a subsonic 300 blackout getting through those unless you’re up close. 

Why .223 green tips are so effective on them.  Zip through like a knife in hot butter.  

• Hook 'Em 1