Jump to content
skipperj

Time to visit Waco

Recommended Posts

On 5/31/2018 at 9:55 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

so because of this thread, my SO and i met up with trey# this evening...

You brought someone you care about into the Surly world?

cowboy-shaking-head.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Deal me in

Aren't Vito Andolini and Simon Bolivar Waco homies too?

Edited by El Diablo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone I know went to the Titanic exhibit at the Mayborn Museum and said that it is outstanding. I think it's like $30 for admission but they said it was worth it. When you enter the exhibit you're given a replica boarding pass that has the name of one of the actual passengers on it. They have quite a few items that were recovered from the wreck, some staterooms recreated, passageways etc... to give the impression of life aboard the luxury liner. At the end of the tour there is a display listing all of the 2,000+ passengers and crew and their individual fate, you find out if the person named on your boarding pass lived or perished. The exhibit will be there thru December.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2018 at 3:49 PM, DoobieWah said:

 

th?id=OIP.Ri1i-ZdoqCsylVKAZRIZJwAAAA&pid

A Baylor divided against itself...CANNOT STAND! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

they do a similar thing with the tickets at the ww2 museum in nola.  pretty cool.

My luck I get Adolph Hitler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Someone I know went to the Titanic exhibit at the Mayborn Museum and said that it is outstanding. I think it's like $30 for admission but they said it was worth it. When you enter the exhibit you're given a replica boarding pass that has the name of one of the actual passengers on it. They have quite a few items that were recovered from the wreck, some staterooms recreated, passageways etc... to give the impression of life aboard the luxury liner. At the end of the tour there is a display listing all of the 2,000+ passengers and crew and their individual fate, you find out if the person named on your boarding pass lived or perished. The exhibit will be there thru December.

Very cool.  I had heard that the exhibit was really good as well.  

Wanted to go but with toddlers its hard to find the time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2018 at 5:36 PM, Samson's Wig said:

lol.  It will be fun when someone from a travel site actually visits Waco prior to writing about it. 

Theyll realize 2 is way way too 

 

 

 

 

Low 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Very cool.  I had heard that the exhibit was really good as well.  

Wanted to go but with toddlers its hard to find the time

Very subtle but no, I will not babysit. Bad for my image.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Can't believe the story of the guy sexing up the dog in Bellmead hasn't made it to this thread yet.

No shit.  Lulz.   BellMeth never fails to impress 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

No shit.  Lulz.   BellMeth never fails to impress 

Lacy Lakeview's city motto is "At Least We're Not Bellmead!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we were driving home from dallas and stopped and did the titanic with the kids.  pretty cool exhibit and there was plenty of other stuff in that museum to keep my 10 and 6 yo's happy and entertained for a couple hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

we were driving home from dallas and stopped and did the titanic with the kids.  pretty cool exhibit and there was plenty of other stuff in that museum to keep my 10 and 6 yo's happy and entertained for a couple hours.

Yeah, I took the grandson there last summer when he was visiting. He was 7 at the time and he dug the hell out of it. The "featured" exhibit in the kiddo area was Indy cars. Lots of interactive things to do that were related to racing cars; reaction times, friction, mechanical etc...

I remember as a kid going to Strecker (think it was in the basement of Armstrong/Browning?) and the highlight was getting to push the button that made the taxidermy rattlesnakes tail shake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't been to the titanic exhibit yet, but plan on going.  A few years back they had the Leonardo da Vinci exhibit, and it was absolutely fantastic.  All working, lifesize models of his sketch work machines.  Really neat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2018 at 12:07 PM, Trey3216 said:

No shit.  Lulz.   BellMeth never fails to impress 

Bellmead is the Florida of Waco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2018 at 11:53 AM, El Diablo said:

Can't believe the story of the guy sexing up the dog in Bellmead hasn't made it to this thread yet.

jerry-and-george.jpg?w=300&h=220

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2018 at 12:29 PM, udaydanceparty said:

There is never a good reason to visit Waco

 

There is, because 15 minutes away you get this:

bake-case-1.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any of my fellow Waco bros try Taste yet? It was fantastic and certainly a feeling that wasnt Waco. $150 for the two of us but that included a wine flight and a bottle of another wine so not too bad overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Any of my fellow Waco bros try Taste yet? It was fantastic and certainly a feeling that wasnt Waco. $150 for the two of us but that included a wine flight and a bottle of another wine so not too bad overall.

Haven’t been yet but definitely excited to go try it.  Have heard nothing but good things 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Haven’t been yet but definitely excited to go try it.  Have heard nothing but good things 

The wine tasting is fine. I mean its Texas wine so nothing special, but they had some excellent service with their tasting service. The banana pudding was out of this world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Any of my fellow Waco bros try Taste yet? It was fantastic and certainly a feeling that wasnt Waco. $150 for the two of us but that included a wine flight and a bottle of another wine so not too bad overall.
Haven’t been yet but definitely excited to go try it.  Have heard nothing but good things 
The wine tasting is fine. I mean its Texas wine so nothing special, but they had some excellent service with their tasting service. The banana pudding was out of this world.
Goddamn at that price they ought to have some nekkid oiled midgets lave your assholes with their tounges after dinner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2018 at 8:35 PM, SimonBolivar said:

The banana pudding was out of this world.

This observation perfectly encapsulates an understanding of the cultural mecca known to some as Waco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

This observation perfectly encapsulates an understanding of the cultural mecca known to some as Waco.

That nanner puddin' has the Butch Henry seal of approval - "Winner, winner, chicken dinner". Butch says check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2018 at 3:07 PM, Post Oak said:

Tourism is at its highest in the months of March, July and October. March is the number one month for tourism in Waco — mostly because of spring break –– Pendergraft said. In March 2017 alone, Waco had over 300,000 visitors.

Who on God's Earth would go to Waco for spring break?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Tourism is at its highest in the months of March, July and October. March is the number one month for tourism in Waco — mostly because of spring break –– Pendergraft said. In March 2017 alone, Waco had over 300,000 visitors.

Who on God's Earth would go to Waco for spring break?

"Wives And The Stupid Shit They Say/Do" thread is over there ------------>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 11:21 PM, MrPhlegm said:

Goddamn at that price they ought to have some nekkid oiled midgets lave your assholes with their tounges after dinner.

That French?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Who on God's Earth would go to Waco for spring break?

They’re called Magnolians. They worship Chip and Jo and rustic stuff with clever sayings painted on it. White women age 30-55 who have left their husbands to travel in groups of 4-10 and stay in Air BnBs in sketchy neighborhoods and buy stuff at one of a bijillion boutiques that have popped up in previously abandoned buildings.

They will let it all hang out and order edgey food from a permanently anchored food truck, wait two hours in line to buy a cupcake and then drink their way to a 1.2 BAC at a wine bar for six hours after their day of buying stuff they don’t need.

Apparently they come from everywhere and occasionally decide to uproot their entire life and move to Waco to experience the “Fixer Upper” lifestyle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

 

Apparently they come from everywhere and occasionally decide to uproot their entire life and move to Waco to experience the “Fixer Upper” lifestyle.

Which means joining Antioch and preaching to young parents at the zoo while they're just trying to look at some damn rhinos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

They’re called Magnolians. They worship Chip and Jo and rustic stuff with clever sayings painted on it. White women age 30-55 who have left their husbands to travel in groups of 4-10 and stay in Air BnBs in sketchy neighborhoods and buy stuff at one of a bijillion boutiques that have popped up in previously abandoned buildings.

They will let it all hang out and order edgey food from a permanently anchored food truck, wait two hours in line to buy a cupcake and then drink their way to a 1.2 BAC at a wine bar for six hours after their day of buying stuff they don’t need.

Apparently they come from everywhere and occasionally decide to uproot their entire life and move to Waco to experience the “Fixer Upper” lifestyle.

Word on discreet is Chip and Jo have plans to start their own NETWORK. Supposedly partnering with Discovery Channel. Project is still in the works but I don't put anything past these people.

First hovel I bought here I tore all of the shiplap out. If only I had known.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2018 at 9:39 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Any of my fellow Waco bros try Taste yet? It was fantastic and certainly a feeling that wasnt Waco. $150 for the two of us but that included a wine flight and a bottle of another wine so not too bad overall.

the bone marrow and fois gras were damn good...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

Word on discreet is Chip and Jo have plans to start their own NETWORK. Supposedly partnering with Discovery Channel. Project is still in the works but I don't put anything past these people.

First hovel I bought here I tore all of the shiplap out. If only I had known.

Used shiplap and unicorn piss are a modern-alchemist's gold  

Edited by Trey3216

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Tourism is at its highest in the months of March, July and October. March is the number one month for tourism in Waco — mostly because of spring break –– Pendergraft said. In March 2017 alone, Waco had over 300,000 visitors.

Who on God's Earth would go to Waco for spring break?

Waco has the highest hotel occupancy rate in the state...think about that for a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Tourism is at its highest in the months of March, July and October. March is the number one month for tourism in Waco — mostly because of spring break –– Pendergraft said. In March 2017 alone, Waco had over 300,000 visitors.

Who on God's Earth would go to Waco for spring break?

I guess it's where kids who attend party schools go for a change of pace, just to relax for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 11:21 PM, MrPhlegm said:

Goddamn at that price they ought to have some nekkid oiled midgets lave your assholes with their tounges after dinner.

sunday nights at chip and joanna's place has it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balcones Distillery is releasing their newest offering with a tasting on Saturday, June 22nd. Not my thinig but I thought some might be interested. Tickets are $12 day of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Helberg BBQ location on Hwy 6/185 is open  (old Valley Mills Vineyards tasting room).  Only doing sandwiches and bar-ish food at the truck from now on.  Had it last wednesday.  Good stuff.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only good thing about Waco is knowing that you're halfway to Austin/Dallas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...