USMNT 2022

Napoleon

Maybe don't play in St. Paul in February again, but I have absolutely no problem making teams play in cold climates during winter qualifiers. The game is the game. Honduras has made the US play summer qualifiers during the day time when it's above 90 degrees and sweltering. Tough shit. Just because we have more options and resources than these other countries doesn't mean they deserve any mercy from us when it comes to where we schedule the games. You want to CONCACAF shit up against us? We'll do the same to you.

I also think the environment 100 percent mattered last night. The US came out aggressive and as soon as they scored, Honduras quit. They didn't want to be there. If that game is in Florida somewhere and it's nice out, I think Honduras' effort would've been a little bit better. Maybe we would've just flat out kicked their asses anywhere, but we hadn't kicked anyone's asses definitively in qualifying to this point so that's not an assumption I want to make. Columbus is fine. Chicago is fine. New England states are fine. It's cold, but it's fine to play in.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I personally don't have a problem with us making Honduras play in frigid conditions.  We did something ruthless that guaranteed a win. Good. Stop being bitches about it. 

That's the thing - it didn't guarantee a win at all. I think it did the opposite. Horrid conditions level the playing field, not tilt them towards the more talented team. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, ATLLonghorn said:

Maybe don't play in St. Paul in February again, but I have absolutely no problem making teams play in cold climates during winter qualifiers. The game is the game. Honduras has made the US play summer qualifiers during the day time when it's above 90 degrees and sweltering. Tough shit. Just because we have more options and resources than these other countries doesn't mean they deserve any mercy from us when it comes to where we schedule the games. You want to CONCACAF shit up against us? We'll do the same to you.

It's not showing mercy to the other team - it's putting your OWN team in the best position to win the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

That's the thing - it didn't guarantee a win at all. I think it did the opposite. Horrid conditions level the playing field, not tilt them towards the more talented team. 

baloney. the only reason people think this is because our coach is a dolt and that things like this might affect our team more than they think.

If we'd gotten a point against Canada on the road nobody would give a shit. it's the fact we HAD to get a win last night that had people worrying that this might have limited our chances for a win. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

We're going to bitch about it because:
A. it should be beneath the US to do stuff like this. Small soccer countries do this to get an advantage because they don't have the talent to compete at the same level as bigger countries and

B. We don't want to see the federation doing this again.

I would ask about the smog protocols you speak of and any proof of that happening. And La Paz - altitude means nothing, their stadium is there, so?

And make no mistake, FIFA has stepped in for playing in healthy conditions.

Altitude means nothing?   You ever back country skiid at 12,000 feet?   

• Hook 'Em 1

I've got no problem scheduling games in cold weather to have a home field advantage.  There was zero reason whatsoever to schedule that game, in that location.  There are dozens of other cities w/ the appropriate stadium and fanbase and cold af temps.  Props to the MN fans though - that's a memory they'll have forever.

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

baloney. the only reason people think this is because our coach is a dolt and that things like this might affect our team more than they think.

If we'd gotten a point against Canada on the road nobody would give a shit. it's the fact we HAD to get a win last night that had people worrying that this might have limited our chances for a win. 

I don't think for a second that playing in abysmal conditions in any sport is advantageous for the more talented team. The more mother nature has a role, the less control you have and when you're the more talented team, you want all the control. It has nothing to do with GGG, or soccer, or this team - that's just sports.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ATLLonghorn said:

I also think the environment 100 percent mattered last night. The US came out aggressive and as soon as they scored, Honduras quit. They didn't want to be there. If that game is in Florida somewhere and it's nice out, I think Honduras' effort would've been a little bit better. Maybe we would've just flat out kicked their asses anywhere, but we hadn't kicked anyone's asses definitively in qualifying to this point so that's not an assumption I want to make. Columbus is fine. Chicago is fine. New England states are fine. It's cold, but it's fine to play in.

The US should always come out aggressive. If we need the cold to do that, our coach is an idiot (oh wait....).

But Honduras didn't quit because of the weather. They quit because they are out of the running for a spot in the World Cup a game ago.  They got eliminated with 4 games to play! 12 points available wasn't enough to even get them in the playoff. That's pathetic. They've lost 7 straight and have been out scored 17-3. They didn't want to be out there because they are an embarrassment of a team.

We don't need these tactics. In normal conditions we likely blow them out 6-0 (just like we did for the 2018 WC in California).

1 minute ago, dieucla98 said:

I don't think for a second that playing in abysmal conditions in any sport is advantageous for the more talented team. The more mother nature has a role, the less control you have and when you're the more talented team, you want all the control. It has nothing to do with GGG, or soccer, or this team - that's just sports.

You're overthinking this. It was just cold. Your point is more valid if they were playing in ankle deep snow (like in Denver). That's more of an issue than just air temp IMHO.

6 minutes ago, The Dog said:

We could have been coached by Pep Guardiola and I would have thought this was a bad idea. I thought this was a bad idea when we scheduled the game and never changed my mind (and this was after running my mouth that we should play on Hoth of we needed to).

7 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Altitude means nothing?   You ever back country skiid at 12,000 feet?   

Sorry, I mean in this debate, not that it doesn't have an effect. That is where there stadium is, you can't change that fact.

5 minutes ago, The Dog said:

You're overthinking this. It was just cold. Your point is more valid if they were playing in ankle deep snow (like in Denver). That's more of an issue than just air temp IMHO.

Nah, we beat this team 1-4 on the road. We should have won here by more than 3 goals, it should have been 6 or more.

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

We could have been coached by Pep Guardiola and I would have thought this was a bad idea. I thought this was a bad idea when we scheduled the game and never changed my mind (and this was after running my mouth that we should play on Hoth of we needed to).

I'm mostly going after the moral outrage over the choice just to be clear. 

It’s not a moral outrage, it’s anger at the stupidity of it all.  If we need the weather to help beat the worst team in the hex, we don’t deserve to play in the WC. It exposed our players to injuries. It also shows mental weakness.  It tells our players that the fed doesn’t believe in them to win without help.

We should be doing everything possible to prepare our players for the World Cup in Qatar. Conditions, rosters, tactics, should all be focused on that.  I doubt we play any sub zero games there, so this wasn’t helpful towards that goal. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

It’s not a moral outrage, it’s anger at the stupidity of it all.  If we need the weather to help beat the worst team in the hex, we don’t deserve to play in the WC. It exposed our players to injuries. It also shows mental weakness.  It tells our players that the fed doesn’t believe in them to win without help.

image.thumb.png.95513b3f5fb4ed72e4bf0060f2665b06.png

image.thumb.png.968053eebc9d83293f221e0d6a8b038b.png

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

13 minutes ago, The Dog said:

image.thumb.png.95513b3f5fb4ed72e4bf0060f2665b06.png

image.thumb.png.968053eebc9d83293f221e0d6a8b038b.png

Not sure how that helps your argument. The goal shouldn’t be to qualify for the WC and call it good with the talent we have on hand. It should be to get as deep as possible in the tournament. If we keep playing with the small team mentality we are going to get to Qatar and get hammered.  We need to be making our players believe they can play with anyone and stunts like last night don’t help.  Gerg’s concession rosters on big road games don’t help.  This team should be dominating concacaf, not limping in to the WC still full of questions. The mental side of soccer is way bigger than people think. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Gotta admit.  I'm getting a tad nervous about the last round. The magic number appears to be 26 points.

Canada is in.  I think they just need a point in the last 3 to qualify. (It'd take an absurd point differential flip for them to be in danger at 26.)

Mexico is in.  They just need 5 pts to get to 26.  They've got us at home, El Salvador at home, Honduras on the road.  

So it's us (21), Panama (17), and Costa Rica (16).

1st round of games, let's assume we tie Mexico.  We're at 22, Panama at 20 (because they play Honduras at home), and Costa Rica (no idea as they play Canada at home).

US 22

Panama 20

Costa Rica 17 (I'm going with a tie v Canada)

Sets up the Panama game as absolutely huge.  We fuck it up (Berhalter), and lose, it'll be:

Panama 23

US 22

Costa Rica possibly at 20 

Last round would then need us to then win @ Costa Rica to auto-qualify.  If we lose to Panama at home, we can sure as hell lose to Costa Rica on the road. 5th place.

Yes, I'm being a pessimist after T&T.

If we beat Panama at home like we should, then we are guaranteed fourth place at worst. 

If we beat Panama and Costa Rica doesn't win all of their games, then we automatically qualify.

7 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yes, I'm being a pessimist after T&T.

Everyone should be nervous after we fucked up 2018. 

Keep in mind we were in fourth place at this stage four years ago. We're in much better shape this time around.

• Like 1

Home versus Panama is obviously a must win. Anything less than the full three points would/could be devastating.

Though the USMNT has more talent across the board, don't believe it has ever beaten Costa Rica in San Jose, so a point is all we can realistically expect there.

A tie at Azteca would be nice, and a win would be unprecedented, so even a point would be too much to expect there, imo.

Those four points would get us in, but it won't be easy. Panama has already proven it has teeth, Mexico is Mexico and Azteca is Azteca, and Costa Rica is proud and still has a few players from its Golden Generation.

Should be a riveting finish. Wish we had a better manager and organization.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think The Dog makes the best point - we were chasing the whole cycle in 2018. When we had chances to take destiny truly in our hands, we squandered it. Namely losing to Costa Rica at home. We were needing to catch teams, and never did.

We're now being chased. And while the chasers can catch us, they have little margin for error.

I will note, we can't just play that Panama is the only game to win. We should chase all 3 points in Mexico, because if we pull that all, we could be golden before things get started.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

We should have played every game that way, but what’s done is done. Based on what’s happened so far I expect Gerg to field another concession roster for Mexico and put all our eggs in the Panama basket. 

Nothing pisses me off more than not playing to win. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

We tied at Azteca in 2018 and 2013 in WC Qualifiers (1-1 and 0-0). We lost 2-1 in 2009 after taking a 1-0 lead, and we lost in 2005 2-1 after falling down 2-0. Mexico is more vulnerable now than they have been as of late, and if we can score first you know things will get very chippy after winning 3 in a row. Feel like this is a game Gio has had marked down for a while now.

A couple things.

Canada and the world cup.   How far they go is going to rely heavily on their draw.    The draw is always huge, but they are going to be in Pot 4.   They could easily end up in a group with Brazil /Germany or England/Uruguay or Argentina/Germany or Brazil/Swiss   

Speaking WC Pots.   Looks like we are solidly Pot2, at one point there was hope of Pot1 but I think that ship has sailed.   

As for playing in St Paul.   It was stupid and reckless.  That being said, it likely wont be possible for it to happen again.   The only reason we even had matches this month was COVID fucking up qualifying.   Next year cycle we don't even participate in qualifiers (which blows).   I do agree with GGG and others who pointed out the hypocrisy of Honduras b!tching, when they made us play in the afternoon in ridiculous conditions.  But our answer to it was way to extreme.  

• Like 1

I said in this thread a few days back that qualification is definitely not a foregone conclusion. Mexico is capable of beating us and then we would be stuck chasing the final two games. I want no part of having to get a result in Costa Rica. That will not end well. 

Biggest things I want to see in the final 3 games:

1) Most in-form players at the time. If CP is not getting any minutes, I don't want him starting at Azteca in the altitude. 

2) Pepi over Zardes (I feel like this shouldn't even have to be on the list).

3) Someone who can get the ball into good spots for free kicks. CP was absolutely dreadful vs Canada in this regard. Acosta really has a nice ball and that makes a ton of difference in a game. I wish he was more playable against the better teams. 

Here is what the WC Pots look like with todays FIFA world rankings, ordered by World Ranking

Pot 1:  Qatar (auto pot 1), Belgium, Brazil, France, Argentina, England, Spain and the winner of Italy Portugal UEAFA playoff, the other is eliminated

Pot 2: Denmark, Netherlands, Germany, Mexico, USA, Switzerland, Croatia, Uruguay

USA, Mexico, and Uruguay haven't qualified yet, but are likely too.

Pot 3: Sweden, Colombia, Senegal, Wales, Iran, Peru, Japan, Serbia.  Just outside of Morocco, Chile, Ukraine, Poland, South Korea (qualified), Austria, Czech Republic 

Pot 3 is really up in the air, probably 12-14 teams have a shot since so many have a chance of not qualifying, currently only Iran and Serbia are qualified, Japan is basically a lock too.  Only 1 of Colombia, Peru Chile is going to make it.   The UEFA teams listed are all in a playoff and only 2 will make it.  Senegal and Morocco are both in the final stages and face home and away matches Senegal vs Egypt and Morocco vs DR Congo 

My guess at Pot 3 is, Senegal, Peru, Japan, Serbia, Morocco, Ukraine, South Korea, Czech Republic.

• Like 1

I presume Tyler Adams will be able to play in Mexico, but if not, I don't mind Acosta back there because he can match Mexico's gamesmanship and has proven solid.  I really like him and Walker Zimmerman as MLS players that are earning a spot on the 22 for Qatar.   Probably no one else now that Turner is on Aresnal.  I also think I like Cannon over Dest for Azteca but I'm probably in the minority there.  Bring Dest on if we need to go all in for goals.  I've really liked Reggie Cannon when he's been on field for USMNT.

Is there a lineup that works that has Pulisic (presuming in form), Weah, McKennie and Reyna all on field at same time?  I guess Pepi up front with Pulisic and Weah behind and McKennie and Reyna in midfield, with Adams and.... Yunus?  I'm over my skis here, at this point.

4 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Is there a lineup that works that has Pulisic (presuming in form), Weah, McKennie and Reyna all on field at same time?  I guess Pepi up front with Pulisic and Weah behind and McKennie and Reyna in midfield, with Adams and.... Yunus?  I'm over my skis here, at this point.

If it has to be a 4-3-3 b/c GGG, it's a very aggressive 4-3-3 and Reyna is a bit out of position. He's better centrally.

Pulisic - Pepi - Weah

McKennie - Adams - Reyna

<back 4>

4-2-3-1 makes more sense with your proposed players, though still aggressive. Adams would basically have to sit back and be a shield for the back 4 all game long (which he pretty much does anyways but he would have 0 freedom)

Pepi

Pulisic - Reyna - Weah

McKennie - Adams

<back 4>

I don't know that either of those are capable of existing inside GGG's thick skull, though.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I presume Tyler Adams will be able to play in Mexico, but if not, I don't mind Acosta back there because he can match Mexico's gamesmanship and has proven solid.  I really like him and Walker Zimmerman as MLS players that are earning a spot on the 22 for Qatar.   Probably no one else now that Turner is on Aresnal.  I also think I like Cannon over Dest for Azteca but I'm probably in the minority there.  Bring Dest on if we need to go all in for goals.  I've really liked Reggie Cannon when he's been on field for USMNT.

Knowing gregg, this is probably where Scally will get his start/debut. 

The more I think about it, you go for it in Mexico CIty, because you would rather lose guys to yellow car accumulation for Panama and get them back for Costa Rica. Saving anyone in Mexico doesn't make sense because if they pick up a yellow against Panama, you lose them for a potential must win against Costa Rica. Too risky, IMHO.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Order of importance next window

1. Panama

2 Costa Rice

3 Mexico  

If we win at Panama we are in (playoff at worst), regardless with what happens in MC

While I might agree that the stakes are probably the highest in the games in that order, IMHO thinking that some games are more important that others is what gets us in trouble in these situations.

Frankly, our most important game should be the next one on the schedule. We play Mexico March 24. That is the game that they should focus on. Winning that game can catapult us in the World Cup and give us a huge boost coming home to face Panama March 27th (BTW the game is in Orlando).

What worries me (only a little though*) is that we don't play to win in Azteca and blow that game. That could amp up the pressure on us to win in Florida, and if we play that game tight, we just might blow it and see us needing a result against Costa Rica.

* One reason this is only a little is because I think Berhalter wants that game bad. He's played in that game, that stadium. He knows what the fans are like. He knows that if he wins that game, he will always be the coach that won THAT game. And regardless of what happens after that, he will have that feather in his cap. It makes me think when March 24th rolls around, eh will have the boys ready.

9 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

While I might agree that the stakes are probably the highest in the games in that order, IMHO thinking that some games are more important that others is what gets us in trouble in these situations.

Frankly, our most important game should be the next one on the schedule. We play Mexico March 24. That is the game that they should focus on. Winning that game can catapult us in the World Cup and give us a huge boost coming home to face Panama March 27th (BTW the game is in Orlando).

What worries me (only a little though*) is that we don't play to win in Azteca and blow that game. That could amp up the pressure on us to win in Florida, and if we play that game tight, we just might blow it and see us needing a result against Costa Rica.

* One reason this is only a little is because I think Berhalter wants that game bad. He's played in that game, that stadium. He knows what the fans are like. He knows that if he wins that game, he will always be the coach that won THAT game. And regardless of what happens after that, he will have that feather in his cap. It makes me think when March 24th rolls around, eh will have the boys ready.

Gergg gonna coach ‘em up!?!?  Have ‘em ready!?!?    Lulz.   I have zero faith in that.   I’ll bet we see at least one of Roldan, Llegett, or Morris in the 11 that night.   

5 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I firmly believe that we can grab 3 points at Azteca. I mean it won't be easy, but its not 80 minutes of defending after Charlie Davies scores early either, there will be chances in this game for both teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The more I think about it, the more I believe the following:

Don't get cute.  Don't rest this guy or that guy.  Don't bunker in Mexico and play for a tie.  Play your absolute best lineup and go for the win in all three games.  Berhalter aside, this team should pull at least 4 points.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

The more I think about it, the more I believe the following:

Don't get cute.  Don't rest this guy or that guy.  Don't bunker in Mexico and play for a tie.  Play your absolute best lineup and go for the win in all three games.  Berhalter aside, this team should pull at least 4 points.

THIS.

The last 5+ years have seen us grow leaps and bounds as a soccer nation (and to be fair, the roots of this started a decade+ to grow this talent). We have a depth of talent that while not rivaling European top teams, provides us with a player pool for the national team of around 30-35 top players. Gone are the days when we have maybe 11 top talent players and you have to mix/match spare parts around them to assemble a complete team/roster.

And more importantly, I said this at the start of the cycle, gone should be the days of 3 at home, 1 on the road. We are too good for that now. We should be able to go into Honduras, El Salvador, Panama, Jamaica and win. If nothing else, play for the win. The fact that we are 1-2-1 in those games is awful.

Along with that, because our talent pool is deep enough, we shouldn't need to play for this game and not that game. Rest guys or save them from yellows for the second game of the cycle. Our drop offs are no longer from a guy in the Premier league to an MLS lifer. We should be able to go into Azteca and play a top line team, because we know no matter what we can put a top line team out against Panama too.

And honestly, we have no excuse not to. Mexico is 3-2-0 at home this year. They were tied by Canada and Costa Rica. They can be had. I know they are going to have fans there, so what? Let's finally put that to rest.

And I don't worry about Panama. We're 5-1 at home this year, we WILL beat them too.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'm 100% on board for going for the win at Mexico. I think to do that, you have be a bit more conservative than the lineups I mentioned above that have Adams as the one defensive midfielder. Mexico scores goals these days with quick counters (and soft penalties...), they aren't going to break us down. Having an extra safety valve like Acosta or Musah is probably required to keep them off the scoresheet which means one of Weah, Pulisic, or Reyna sits. 

Then you go all out vs Panama and send the fighting Blas Perez's packing. 

It's not difficult to envision a very stressful finish if you plot out some negative yet very possible results.

Canada 25 (@ Costa Rica; Jamaica; @ Panama)

USMNT 21 (@ Mexico; Panama; @ Costa Rica)

Mexico 21 (USA; @ Honduras; El Salvador)

Panama 17 (Honduras; @ USA; Canada)

Costa Rica 16 (Canada; @ El Sal; USMNT)

Matchday 12

Costa Rica 1 Canada 1 (This is arguably the most important non-USA game in the next cycle.  CR really needs at least a point here.)

Mexico 2 USA 1 (Most likely result IMO.  Draw is a great result for USA)

Panama 3 Honduras 0 (Most likely result IMO.  Honduras is done)

Standings after Matchday 12

Canada 26

Mexico 24

USA 21

Panama 20

Costa Rica 17

Matchday 13

Canada 3 Jamaica 1 (Most likely result IMO.  Jamaica is done.)

USA 1 Panama 1 (This is the most important game of the next cycle.  A USA win clinches at least 4th.)

Mexico 2 Honduras 1 (Most likely result IMO)

Costa Rica 2 El Sal 1 (Most likely result IMO but it is at El Sal.  Obviously a must win for CR)

Standings after Matchday 13

Canada 29 (CLINCHED TOP 3)

Mexico 27 (CLINCHED TOP 3)

USA 22

Panama 21

Costa Rica 20

Matchday 14

Panama 1 Canada 0 (Canada will already be through while Panama while be at home potentially playing for WC qualification)

Costa Rica 2 USA 1 (USA has never won here but we may need at least a draw)

Mexico 4 El Sal 1 (Very likely entirely irrelevant)

FINAL STANDINGS

Mexico 30

Canada 29

Panama 24

Costa Rica 23

USA 22

1 minute ago, alincoln said:

It's not difficult to envision a very stressful finish if you plot out some negative yet very possible results.

Canada 25 (@ Costa Rica; Jamaica; @ Panama)

USMNT 21 (@ Mexico; Panama; @ Costa Rica)

Mexico 21 (USA; @ Honduras; El Salvador)

Panama 17 (Honduras; @ USA; Canada)

Costa Rica 16 (Canada; @ El Sal; USMNT)

Matchday 12

Costa Rica 1 Canada 1 (This is arguably the most important non-USA game in the next cycle.  CR really needs at least a point here.)

Mexico 2 USA 1 (Most likely result IMO.  Draw is a great result for USA)

Panama 3 Honduras 0 (Most likely result IMO.  Honduras is done)

Standings after Matchday 12

Canada 26

Mexico 24

USA 21

Panama 20

Costa Rica 17

Matchday 13

Canada 3 Jamaica 1 (Most likely result IMO.  Jamaica is done.)

USA 1 Panama 1 (This is the most important game of the next cycle.  A USA win clinches at least 4th.)

Mexico 2 Honduras 1 (Most likely result IMO)

Costa Rica 2 El Sal 1 (Most likely result IMO but it is at El Sal.  Obviously a must win for CR)

Standings after Matchday 13

Canada 29 (CLINCHED TOP 3)

Mexico 27 (CLINCHED TOP 3)

USA 22

Panama 21

Costa Rica 20

Matchday 14

Panama 1 Canada 0 (Canada will already be through while Panama while be at home potentially playing for WC qualification)

Costa Rica 2 USA 1 (USA has never won here but we may need at least a draw)

Mexico 4 El Sal 1 (Very likely entirely irrelevant)

FINAL STANDINGS

Mexico 30

Canada 29

Panama 24

Costa Rica 23

USA 22

Fuck that shit. Let's go get a 9 point window.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1