USMNT 2022

Napoleon

17 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

His poor goal kick essentially led to Canada's first goal. Of course, Miles Robinson's defending didn't help the situation.

I had a goal kick like that late in a coed 7v7 league about 16-17 years ago and I’m still not over it. 

What people don’t take into account is that there were major gusts in that Hamilton stadium going from screen right to screen left. Turner’s kick was almost certainly going to get hung up in the wind, and it did. 

Fortunately, in World Cup Qualifying, a girl goal doesn’t count as two… like in the league in played in, but yesterday it didn’t matter. Canada got to 2 a 0 the hard way. 

In the disappointment of the loss I forgot about how Canada's keeper literally looked like your average rec league soccer dude. Sweatpants, sloppy bald head and a beer gut. 

I kept waiting for someone to come get him and be like rec league starts AFTER the WCQ buddy, back to the parking lot for a few more hours. 

And the US couldn't score on that dude. 

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

In the disappointment of the loss I forgot about how Canada's keeper literally looked like your average rec league soccer dude. Sweatpants, sloppy bald head and a beer gut. 

I kept waiting for someone to come get him and be like rec league starts AFTER the WCQ buddy, back to the parking lot for a few more hours. 

And the US couldn't score on that dude. 

and now that dude is talking shit.

And yet you still have numbnuts like this displaying the "blame Pulisic" mentality that I alluded to (sorry - not alluded to - specifically called out. Thanks for solidifying my point D Wall you nutless twat):

But yes - the first dude gets it. Historically the US has done the most damage off the counter and by playing physical D and not getting outworked over the course of 90. Meanwhile Gerg sets us up to not get many countering opportunities and to be especially susceptible when they come from the other team. 

This is a great comment too.

Edited by ztejas

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Some guys get it

Tuchel has really done a number on him and while I'm inseparable from my Chelsea fandom at this point I think the best thing for Pulisic and the NT would be for him to leave and go somewhere he can operate off ball and not worry about playing time or what position he's being thrust into on any given weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

US Soccer has done a number on the entire squad. 

1st: Naming Berhalter as the manager.

2nd: Scheduling home games in cities that limit the performance of skilled players and benefits physical shit ball.

The team couldn’t help where Canada scheduled their match, but we used to schedule games against Mexico in Columbus because it was uncomfortable for México (the technically superior team) and it limited the number of Mexican fans. 

Now, the USMNT is the technically superior team vs every team in CONCACAF other than Mexico (and even that is debatable) and yet US Soccer is scheduling matches in locations that hinder our players’ skill and possibly leads to hamstring pulls. 

We are such a Mickey Mouse soccer nation that it drives me crazy!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

In other news, this is why Leeds was pushing so hard for Aaronson:

This was also why I thought they weren't going to move him. They know he has more value come this summer. Combined with needing him for a UCL game, I really didn't think Salzberg was going to let him go.

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

In other news, this is why Leeds was pushing so hard for Aaronson:

If given the option of going to Leeds, Milan, or Leipzig, I would ask myself…

Do I prefer wine & olive oil? Or do I prefer bier & brats?

Do I prefer culture? Or cars?

Tomatoes 🍅? . . . vs . . .

Potatoes 🥔?

Sorry Bielsa, but I wish you the best of luck. 

54 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

If given the option of going to Leeds, Milan, or Leipzig, I would ask myself…

Do I prefer wine & olive oil? Or do I prefer bier & brats?

Do I prefer culture? Or cars?

Tomatoes 🍅? . . . vs . . .

Potatoes 🥔?

Sorry Bielsa, but I wish you the best of luck. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2022 at 5:47 PM, Napoleon said:

The media doesn’t care about a USMNT qualifier in Hamilton, Canada. 

The #1 sports media story is going to be the 2 teams that are going to the Super Bowl. 

The #2 & #3 sports media stories are going to be the NBA scores & Rafael Nadal winning the Australian Open and his 21st Grand Slam title. 

The #4 sports story is going to be continuing coverage of Tom Brady retiring from football.

The #5 & #6 sports stories are going to be NCAA Men’s basketball & NHL scores.

The #7 sports story is going to be NCAA Women’s basketball.

The #8 & #9 sports stories will be the Winter Olympics & PGA Golf.

The #10 sports media story will be National Signing Day. 

The USMNT will likely not make SportsCenter, but if it does, it will not get more than 45 seconds. The game with get a small section in tomorrow’s print newspapers in only some of the major markets in the USA, but absolutely no prominent sports columnists will cover the match. None. 

No one will pin Gregg down on anything, because no one with the power of the podium actually gives a shit. They don’t like or hate Gregg, most just don’t even know that he exists. 

Not so fast my friend...

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Not so fast my friend...

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

I love it when I’m wrong like this. 

Someone in the comment section posted this lineup and I would be happy to see it be so. (I have my doubts that it will happen, but at leas US Soccer has put Weah’s & Pulisic’s ginger hamstrings in historically low temps. FUCKING BRILLIANT!! 🙄)

2E89C23E-133E-4979-AE8A-D71767DB1293.jpeg

Yup, that's a winning lineup. But we'll probably have Acosta in there instead of LDLT. I don't hate that either - gives McKennie a bit more freedom to roam.

Regardless, I think we're all coming around to the realization that the lineup isn't the issue anymore. It's the culture, it's the tactics, it's everything that GGG does outside of picking 11 names.

Relying on set pieces when you have literally no one in your starting 11 that does that regularly should be a giant red flag that your tactics need work. Yet, here we are. Wasting away our golden generation.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I love it when I’m wrong like this. 

Someone in the comment section posted this lineup and I would be happy to see it be so. (I have my doubts that it will happen, but at leas US Soccer has put Weah’s & Pulisic’s ginger hamstrings in historically low temps. FUCKING BRILLIANT!! 🙄)

2E89C23E-133E-4979-AE8A-D71767DB1293.jpeg

I would consider flipping Pulisic and Weah, but no real criticisms of this lineup.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Why?

Also - Zimmerman is confirmed good to go?

Christian cuts to his right foot whether there are people inside or not. 

Several of the YouTubers & Podcasters have been suggesting that putting Christian on the right and directing him to play as a true winger who heads to the end line and sends crosses in would be a good adjustment. 

Also, there is not a lot of magic when Antonee & Christian both play on the left. There is zero understanding of how to work together. (Highlighted by their being so close together that an opposing defender could easily barely push Pulisic into Antonee’s way in (maybe) the El Salvador match and have the two of them smash into each other. 

Right now, Weah’s hamstrings are the only ones on the USMNT that can propel their human to beat a defender 1-v-1.

As many others have pointed out, his comment about this being "dominant" is hypocritical. Over the Summer everyone criticized his coaching because they were looking ugly, despite winning games (usually 1-0). His response was "Look at the results. Only the results matter."

So now when they get beat 2-0, he calls the performance dominant? "Only the results matter Greggggggg."

BTW the whole segment on Stephen A's show is right on.

Just a follow up on this. If we fail to make Qatar (not likely). Hell, even if we fall to the intercontinental playoff, I think the media is going to be out for Berhalter. It was noticed we missed 2018. Hell, it was noticed we lost to Canada!!! I have a feeling if we lose tonight, there is going to be hell to pay.

51 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I give zero shits what Stephen A has to say about anything much less soccer. 

My question is if tonight is anything but a win, does US Soccer have the balls to pull the plug on Greg? 

On the Stephen A thing, I agree, I really don't care what he says. What I do care about its the fact that he IS talking about it, same with Pardon the Gasbags on Parade. It makes a point that people are noticing what is going on, and that soccer is starting to get into American's conscience outside of World Cups.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Christian cuts to his right foot whether there are people inside or not. 

Several of the YouTubers & Podcasters have been suggesting that putting Christian on the right and directing him to play as a true winger who heads to the end line and sends crosses in would be a good adjustment. 

Also, there is not a lot of magic when Antonee & Christian both play on the left. There is zero understanding of how to work together. (Highlighted by their being so close together that an opposing defender could easily barely push Pulisic into Antonee’s way in (maybe) the El Salvador match and have the two of them smash into each other. 

Right now, Weah’s hamstrings are the only ones on the USMNT that can propel their human to beat a defender 1-v-1.

I feel like Weah is more dangerous down the right though (than he is down the left). I agree it wouldn't hurt to try a different look. 

11 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

On the Stephen A thing, I agree, I really don't care what he says. What I do care about its the fact that he IS talking about it, same with Pardon the Gasbags on Parade. It makes a point that people are noticing what is going on, and that soccer is starting to get into American's conscience outside of World Cups.

Couldn't agree more.  Stephen A is an absolute shithead, but unfortunately, there are a lot of braindead Americans of voting age that watch his shitty ass show.  The fact that he is talking about the USMNT is proof that the sport is growing in popularity enough that it really is starting to matter.  

So tonight we've got:

• Acosta in for Adams
  • Chris Richards out, Zimmerman reportedly less than 100% with a hamstring. Do we see Miles Robinson + Mark Mckenzie? I'd still think a 80% Zimmerman plays.
  • Do we get the Zardes Trifecta? I think Pepi will start with Pulisic and Weah up top. 
  • It will be below zero in temp and with wind chill somewhere around -26. Absolutely scandalous that USSF chose to put the game here.

Honduras sucks. In normal conditions this should be an easy win. Let's see what magic Greg can conjure up.