2022 Beijing Winter Olympics

shadow_operative2.0

What's everyone thoughts on the American Born free skier Eileen Gu that has decided to compete for the Chinese Olympic team?  Apparently her dad is American and her mother is Chinese.  She was born in San Francisco and has always lived in America.  She is apparently the gold medal favorite in her event.

3 minutes ago, Nonbryan said:

What's everyone thoughts on the American Born free skier Eileen Gu that has decided to compete for the Chinese Olympic team?  Apparently her dad is American and her mother is Chinese.  She was born in San Francisco and has always lived in America.  She is apparently the gold medal favorite in her event.

I saw that mixed feelings.  You do you boo. But I’ll cheer against her. Fuck her lol 

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I wish I could ski like these Olympians but I think you have to be a little crazy—or at least huge adrenaline junkie—to be doing this shit. 

Need balls the size of coconuts.  What sucks like this girl that wiped out.  All that training and biff in a second 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Fuck fuck Fuck The IOC for putting the Olympics in a place with no snow. People are going to get seriously hurt out there. Fake asss snow. And yes I realize a lot of places use fake stuff. I get it. But no snow at al.

To be fair the last 4 Olympics have been fake snow for 80% or better, I just don’t think it was this cold.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

To be fair the last 4 Olympics have been fake snow for 80% or better, I just don’t think it was this cold.  

Yeah. The cold is brutal. But the falls and injuries are piling up and while I admit I watch the Olympics for the danger aspect of it I don’t want anyone to get hurt at all. 

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

every time i switch on the olympics,  its fucking figure skating. If I didnt know better I'd think figure skating was 95% of the Olympics. fuck figure skating

I like it when the skaters choose music that the judges don’t typically enjoy/like! Like Metallic or some shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, Nonbryan said:

That stuff happens all the time in international sports. Our men’s soccer team, for example, has a bunch of European- and Mexican-born dudes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Nonbryan said:

Chick went for the money. If she doesn't win gold we will never hear from her again. I'll be surprised if the figure skater that did the same thing ever makes it out of country. 

China doesn't allow dual citizenship so it seems they both had to renounce their US citizenship.   They are fucked if Winnie the pooh orders a code red. Fuck around and find out! 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, tokamak said:

That stuff happens all the time in international sports. Our men’s soccer team, for example, has a bunch of European- and Mexican-born dudes. 

Yea I think you only have to have a grandparent with citizenship to compete for another country.  Many of ours compete for other countries because we pay a very low amount vs most countries for medals, ect.  Only US people making any money are the ones who become the darlings of the games…. We still 37.5k for a gold medal, 15k for bronze, where a lot pay over 100k for gold, it’s kinda absurd how low we pay.   Had a friend who was a alternate for decathlon before, they make nothing like 0 other then small sponsorships and other countries will pay for training even.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Blotto said:

every time i switch on the olympics,  its fucking figure skating. If I didnt know better I'd think figure skating was 95% of the Olympics. fuck figure skating

besides hockey and downhill, the winter olympics is for chicks.    they had to add team skating to the beginning to get more chick time for the networks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 best events today, in reverse order of best:

3) Women's moguls... Australian gal, the favorite, nailed her run right after the American was in the lead, got the gold.  Epic, very epic difficult jumps.  Lots of fun.
2) Men's Normal Hill Ski Jumping - current World Cup leader Kobyashi nailed two jumps (only one to nail both) to get his gold.  But 2 favorite Norweigans were out with covid.  Oh well, sucks.
1) Men's 5K speed skating - one of the most exciting events I've seen in years.  Dutch guy, one of the favs, got OR time - just killed it.  But this year's rage, a Swede, who was so-so 4-5 years ago as a teen, joined the Swedish Army for 2 years and dropped out, then left army and began to ultra run (75-100 m.), changed his training, and so far this year he's been completely killing, obliterating the competition.  He was almost 1.3 seconds behind the time w/2 laps (out of 10) to go... almost impossible to make up.  But his last lap was like superhero, and he got the gold.  Very much reminded me of Klammer's legendary downhill to make up what seemed to be impossible time in '76, probably the greatest individual moment in WInter Olympic history.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 other observations:

1) Love the winter olympics - I'm a lifelong skier and used to race.  Less events and most of them watchable.
2) Americans are kind of f-ing up more than expected right now, but they have so many freakin' athletes here they'll start pulling medals.  Remember Americans traditionally sucked at winter olympics up until maybe the 80's, and only gradually began to be competitive in medal totals (Germany and whatever name Russia has gone by usually dominate medals, along with Norway up there).
3) I can't stand figure skating either - turn it off, absolutely throw up at it - but apparently this Russian kid everyone's calling the best figure skater who's ever lived.  At 15?  Holy shit.  So I watched her program yesterday - my god she's amazing... just built long and lithe and apparently does stuff that's upossible.  Apparently biggest Olympic upset if she doesn't get gold.  I could tell the difference in her and the others, and I hate figure skating.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Yeah but that is usually b/c they are the 12th best player in their country.  It's not like Messi is going to play for America.  This chick is a gold medal contender.  This is like the female Sean White in her sport going to play for China.  It just has my spidey senses buzzing a little bit.  Seems off.

17 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

3 other observations:

1) Love the winter olympics - I'm a lifelong skier and used to race.  Less events and most of them watchable.
2) Americans are kind of f-ing up more than expected right now, but they have so many freakin' athletes here they'll start pulling medals.  Remember Americans traditionally sucked at winter olympics up until maybe the 80's, and only gradually began to be competitive in medal totals (Germany and whatever name Russia has gone by usually dominate medals, along with Norway up there).
3) I can't stand figure skating either - turn it off, absolutely throw up at it - but apparently this Russian kid everyone's calling the best figure skater who's ever lived.  At 15?  Holy shit.  So I watched her program yesterday - my god she's amazing... just built long and lithe and apparently does stuff that's upossible.  Apparently biggest Olympic upset if she doesn't get gold.  I could tell the difference in her and the others, and I hate figure skating.

Figure skating is over exposed but everyone needs to watch the Russian chick. She looked like a fucking machine. 

Here's Klammer's downhill run, called by Bob Beattie and Frank Gifford - the live Olympics call.  My god this was the most exciting thing I ever saw.  There were estimates of 100,000 Austrians on the slopes at Kitzbuhel and almost no athlete was under such enormous pressure.  Switzerland's Bernard Russi laid down a tremendous run, I think he was first or near first, and the remaining 14 skiers of the "elite 15" (in downhill generally if you're not in this group, you won't win), couldn't top Russi - it was a great time.  Klammer was the last to go, do or die.  I mean, his entire run was so recklessly fast, and he was on the edge so much of crashing, it was incredible.  He basically was on a bucking bronco for 2 minutes and almost fell - at least 4 times - he was going so fast.  But he had to.  And he was behind Russi the entire run - until the last few hundred yards.  I remember watching this and thinking no way he's gonna win it - and when the clock stopped, there almost seemed like a pause - it seemed way too long - but nope!  He did it!

If you've never seen it, you might not get all that excited, but trust me, this was the most electrifying moment in Winter Olympics history.  I don't think there's ever been anything like it.

The second video is a years-after commentary on it, Klammer's remarks included.  Interesting how he says he actually looked at the crowd about halfway down.  Enjoy... this put the Winter Olympics on the map for good IMHO (USA hockey wasn't until 4 years later obviously).

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Eileen Gu is a traitor and I will not cheer her on. 

Meh she’s a model (pun intended) American. Using her abilities to make as much money as humanly possibly when she can. She has enormous endorsement deals in China that she’d never get here. Any red-blooded capitalist should be inspired - or something. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Here's Klammer's downhill run, called by Bob Beattie and Frank Gifford - the live Olympics call.  My god this was the most exciting thing I ever saw.  There were estimates of 100,000 Austrians on the slopes at Kitzbuhel and almost no athlete was under such enormous pressure.  Switzerland's Bernard Russi laid down a tremendous run, I think he was first or near first, and the remaining 14 skiers of the "elite 15" (in downhill generally if you're not in this group, you won't win), couldn't top Russi - it was a great time.  Klammer was the last to go, do or die.  I mean, his entire run was so recklessly fast, and he was on the edge so much of crashing, it was incredible.  He basically was on a bucking bronco for 2 minutes and almost fell - at least 4 times - he was going so fast.  But he had to.  And he was behind Russi the entire run - until the last few hundred yards.  I remember watching this and thinking no way he's gonna win it - and when the clock stopped, there almost seemed like a pause - it seemed way too long - but nope!  He did it!

If you've never seen it, you might not get all that excited, but trust me, this was the most electrifying moment in Winter Olympics history.  I don't think there's ever been anything like it.

The second video is a years-after commentary on it, Klammer's remarks included.  Interesting how he says he actually looked at the crowd about halfway down.  Enjoy... this put the Winter Olympics on the map for good IMHO (USA hockey wasn't until 4 years later obviously).

I still remember watching that run live(tape delay).  It was crazy.  the dude almost wrecked 3 times.  It was a huge deal since it was in Austria.

He made up over .6 of a sec on the last third of the run, which is a ton of time in that short of a distance.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Meh she’s a model (pun intended) American. Using her abilities to make as much money as humanly possibly when she can. She has enormous endorsement deals in China that she’d never get here. Any red-blooded capitalist should be inspired - or something. 

After what happened to Peng Shuai, how could any woman voluntarily compete for China? Best of luck to her though, and hopefully she's able to decline party invitations with the CCP

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

After what happened to Peng Shuai, how could any woman voluntarily compete for China? Best of luck to her though, and hopefully she's able to decline party invitations with the CCP

She made the decision 7 years ago. I don’t think she could switch back without giving up the entire Olympics. 

I mean she sure she should be on the US team but financially….