2022 Beijing Winter Olympics

shadow_operative2.0

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

So this is the first time where after 3 days of competition the US has not won gold 

No it isn't. We didn't win a gold until the 2nd week in Calgary (and only 6 medals total). Didn't win any gold until the fourth day in Nagano back when we dominated freestyle skiing. It's more a function of schedule. Even Mikaela wasn't the favorite in the giant slalom even though she was the defending champ. 

Edited by The Dog
got the dang event wrong
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Jambon said:

There's a quite a few people of Asian descent that are on SurlyHorns.  Using racial slurs like chinks is not OK.  It's pretty disappointing to read on a forum like this.

Because of how high up in google searches this website frequently hits…you’d be very surprised how many parents read this site to learn more about UT and Austin before sending their kids here.  Particularly those families who are first generation Longhorns and/or are families of color/foreign country nationality.  

I have personally been asked by a Latina parent at our pre-UT academy about something she read on here a few years back that disturbed her (they are from the RGV).   Thankfully she had no idea my username.  Mods and owners do a great job here, but like it or not—-this site is one public face of the university for right or wrong.  Just because it was okay to be racist assholes in public/online the last few years doesn’t mean we can’t try and course correct.  

then again, maybe everybody is just being overly-sensitive retarded cunts. 

4 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

The Asian territories are dominating several x games sports now. Pretty sure the Japanese are favored to win the mens halfpipe, which obviously was once dominated by American Shaun White 

agreed.  they are the kings of dominating activities the US thinks up.  I can get with the races and timed activities somewhat.  the scored ones are kinda stupid though.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Speaking of horseshit.  Since when do ski jumpers descend on a dang track?  Granted, I've never really paid much attention, but I don't recall a track being part of the deal in the past.

I’ve never seen them do a trick but you may have just invented a new sport that would be awesome!  

24 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Speaking of horseshit.  Since when do ski jumpers descend on a dang track?  Granted, I've never really paid much attention, but I don't recall a track being part of the deal in the past.

The fuck are you talking about?  You think they jump out of helicopters?

Edited by WBT
  • Haha 1

the grooves have been there for a while.  looking at some videos from the last 2 olympics the track grooves look to be deeper and more defined with no snow.

basically almost impossible to have this happen. to be honest, its cheating.  I'd rather have these guys doin it old school.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

that video is cool for a few reasons

the guy has to pull himself up and over to get started, he's wearing a toque, there is a dude at the very end of the ramp who ducks at the last second.  would have been decapitated by one of the jumpers ski's if he didn't duck.

I vote for a throwback winter olympics in the off years using all the old equipment, event facilities, and clothing.  luge is on rosebud style sleds, bobsled weighs 2 tons and has a steering wheel. no synthetic fiber clothing. gates for skiing are made of bamboo.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

that video is cool for a few reasons

the guy has to pull himself up and over to get started, he's wearing a toque, there is a dude at the very end of the ramp who ducks at the last second.  would have been decapitated by one of the jumpers ski's if he didn't duck.

I vote for a throwback winter olympics in the off years using all the old equipment, event facilities, and clothing.  luge is on rosebud style sleds, bobsled weighs 2 tons and has a steering wheel. no synthetic fiber clothing. gates for skiing are made of bamboo.

You go back to bamboo gates and the Uyghurs have an unfair advantage. 

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

these super G bastards are crazy. Seem to be having trouble in one area or the course. 2 straight fuck ups, from the what I’ve seen

Yes they are. But all of them have said you have to be a little bit of that and a little bit scared. Which damn…I love watching this but even if I had the ability to do that I still wouldn’t.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mchookem said:

so this last guy didn't do as difficult jumps...but tbh his musicality and choreography was the best of the night. at one point he was doing a superfast spin with his arms in a position and to the exact beat and it looked awesome. good for him. 

Yup.  That was my favorite program to watch.  And best music choice of the night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PW119 said:

She ain't gonna be around any of those clowns - born and raised in California for chrissakes. Embarrassing that she'd represent China.

I think you underestimate what the Chinese expect for their money. She is going to be Yao minged all over that mother fucking country. 

To be fair,  I don't think a 15 year old kid had any idea of the ramifications of representing the Chinese. I just hope for her sake she gets the fuck out of there alive.

Edited by pops
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Deal with the Devil aspect aside, she's making an order of magnitude more $$$ than she would have ever made competing for Team USA. She's overnight A-list on the continent with 60% of the planet's population and will continue to rake in mega dollars for years to come. Over 20 endorsement deals with Chinese companies alone. That gold medal double 1620 she stomped sent her net worth into the fucking stratosphere. 

• Drool 1

22 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Deal with the Devil aspect aside, she's making an order of magnitude more $$$ than she would have ever made competing for Team USA. She's overnight A-list on the continent with 60% of the planet's population and will continue to rake in mega dollars for years to come. Over 20 endorsement deals with Chinese companies alone. That gold medal double 1620 she stomped sent her net worth into the fucking stratosphere. 

She scored a 1580 on her SAT and is set to attend Stanford.  She's a smart cookie as well as doing death defying stunts on the side.  Although we don't like her decision to represent China, she has set herself up for life.  I don't begrudge her for that.

• Like 1