Buck's Barbeque Co.

ChampKind

Just want to take a few minutes to say that I visited Galveston this weekend with my wife and son, and the operation Champ has running is impressive. On Friday we showed up for lunch, and ordered the meatloaf and the shrimp and grits. For starters, the meatloaf was fucking delicious (my first time eating Champ's smoked meatloaf, I'm ashamed to say) and the collared greens, which I'm generally not a huge fan off, were fucking outstanding. I contemplating drinking what was left of liquid like a shooter, but decided to keep some of my dignity. The wife's grits were quite possibly the best I'd ever eaten, and when I told Champ that he attempted to downplay it because it was not his recipe. It doesn't change the fact that he and his staff are executing it every day. And to top it off, he brought out his crunchberry pulled pork, complete with a dusting of crunch berries as part of the plating. Meat and sauce were spot on, and I struggled to eat all the food. His staff was present, polite and efficient, and to top it all off the guy even picked some solid cafe music to go along with the great atmosphere of the old building. 

Sunday we showed up for brunch at 10 with a line out the door, which was a bit concerning as it was already hot as balls, and a temperamental 20 month old rarely makes things go smoothly. But it probably took us less than 10 minutes to get indoors and to the counter to order. The counter worker said the special brisket hash wasn't ready to be served till 1030, but after placing our breakfast order Champ came out, asked if I got the hash, and when I said No, he went and fixed the order saying it was ready to go now. Dude obviously takes immense pride in his service. Then dude later brought the last beef rib he had. Just an exceptional experience both days. 

I think he's really got something special going on at this place, between the quality of food and service, the location in town, and a really bright, breezy ambiance. Anyone who doesn't eat here for at least one meal while they're in Galveston is a fool. 

• Like 8

Thanks for the comments,@sydneycarton. It meant a lot that you guys chose to come see us twice during your time on the island. And very glad that you enjoyed the food.

You’re not wrong. There’s a lot of pride involved. This place is a reflection of me (and my bride), and we very much want people to enjoy their experience. Its what we focus on...the customer experience. If folks are happy with the experience then they will come back. And that’s how you build a solid business.

• Like 7

Each April, we take a family trip to Galveston for a long weekend.  April 2020 can't get here fast enough.  It sounds like by then I'll have to be in line each day at 6AM to have a shot at lunch.  Hopefully Champ will allow my early morning drinking while in line and the rest of my fam to cut in line later. 

Champ, sincere congrats.  I also own a business that reflects me and my wife (no pics, but you'll meet her and our two hellions wonderful little boys), so I get it.  Looking forward to the visit.  In the mean time, I'll be living vicariously through the others from the internet.

17 hours ago, ChampKind said:

If folks are happy with the experience then they will come back. And that’s how you build a solid business.

What the fuck is this common sense shit? 

Think I will skip some of my plans in September and hit the island for a night. 

9 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

I know...its completely out of character for me. Must have something to do with the salt in the air.

Crazy-assed bastard, I swear. Next thing you know you’ll be trying to do some kind of table service barbecue. 

ha ha ha ha ha

So I totally forgot to do the whole Food Network/millennial thing and take pics before we ate, and 5 min later it was mostly gone.

I suck at those food description things, but the brisket was really great - nearly all the good moist part near the crust - you almost didn’t need to chew.  Ribs were even better.   Wife and MIL raved about the turkey but it was gone before I had time to try.

Champ came by the table and asked how we were doing and if we were happy, which I think is a really cool thing to do.  I told him I slummed around here from time to time.  Even when he knew that he stayed pleasant, which was impressive- although he did mutter something about “internet rules.”  

BTW, that was some of the best bread pudding I have eaten in many years.  Melt-in-your-mouth stuff.  Perfect end to a pretty damn fantastic lunch.  Thanks for that, man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChampKind said:

Yes. Brisket with a guajillo chili sauce, and chicken with a verde sauce

Champ, is there a secret to keeping chicken tamales moist?  thigh meat?  I've tried using breast meat and it's DAF. 

Was this open to the public or more of an invitation only type deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invite only. But some of the food writer types we invited made an event out of it and brought other people. Not mad about it, just more folks to share the good news for us
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 3:59 PM, bigcigar said:

Just told the wife I want to go to Galveston next summer. Or spring break. She’s confused, but we’re going.

My wife questioned why I had us going through Houston proper on our trip home from NASA last year.  This is when Buck's was operating at Lucky's.  I told her it was for BBQ.  She loves BBQ so was cool with that.