Griddle me this Batman

Both Tacos

6 hours ago, Skipper said:

We frequently do sous vide steak then sear.  Typically on our old stand alone gas grill I plan to get rid of soon unless I have my Kamodo going for something else.    Any downside to utilizing a griddle to sear (other than no grill marks I guess which I could probably live with).

Nope.  Did steaks and came out well.

Yes, go with a large gas griddle and the Big Joe. You'll have all your bases covered.

You’ll use the griddle for most everything so go big.

I honestly have no use for a grill. Once I build my cook shack I’ll probably go BGE for the rare times I might want to cook something I can’t do on the griddle, but that’s about it.

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

About to buy one for the house.  Should I get the Blackstone 36"?  Any models better than others?

What about a cover?  The area I keep it is partially covered, but still in weather?  And maintenance?  I assume a little oil and a grill brick once done cooking?

TIA

With all due respect, I don't think Ginny needs you cooking any better than you already do.

In all seriousness though, I don't know why the Camp Chef doesn't get more love around here.  People outside of Surly group think seem to love them.  That's probably what I'll get if I decide to pull the trigger...

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Flat-Top-Grill/dp/B00L9XAMTQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Camp+Chef+Flat+Top+Grill&qid=1603128603&sr=8-3

With this cover...

https://www.amazon.com/Backyard-Life-Gear-Griddle-Stainless/dp/B07C8D1XQX/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Backyard+Life+Gear+Griddle+Cover+for+Camp+Chef+Flat+Top+Griddle+FTG600&qid=1603128650&sr=8-1

Edited by Landomatic
  • Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

About to buy one for the house.  Should I get the Blackstone 36"?  Any models better than others?

What about a cover?  The area I keep it is partially covered, but still in weather?  And maintenance?  I assume a little oil and a grill brick once done cooking?

TIA

Blackstone 36" with hard cover and soft cover, too.  Hard cover for keeping the griddle surface  covered overnight during frequent use and soft cover for extended periods of time.  I had only the soft cover for my home model and when it rained the soft cover would catch rainwater and keep the rainwater pooled up on the griddle.  With the hard cover under it the rainwater tends to drain off.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have to take the cooktop off and bring it in the house or it will rust due to the Houston humidity. It's heavy and a pain in the ass. I would put the Camp Chef in the garage, but I don't have direct access to my backyard from the garage.

I made some perfect Benihana fried rice Friday night.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

TIA

The 36" is what you need, even if you don't think you need something that big. You will eventually use all 4 burners for some cooks. Blackstone and Camp Chef seem to be comparable but it's just your preference. 

The lid that deadshank posted is what I went to after the cloth/plastic covering I originally bought. I would seriously look at the pro series on the Blackstone if I was buying right now. 

• Like 1

I have to take the cooktop off and bring it in the house or it will rust due to the Houston humidity. It's heavy and a pain in the ass. I would put the Camp Chef in the garage, but I don't have direct access to my backyard from the garage.
I made some perfect Benihana fried rice Friday night.
If you oil it up good after every cook and put a top on it like deadshank's link, you should be good.

6 hours ago, mycox said:

I did and it wasn't graceful. Too much rum and it was an onion volcano explosion.

Local teppanyaki place had that happen in front of guests; kid leaning over table to watch got burnt, lawsuits, etc etc for years. They ixnayed the onion volcano.

Seems like its fried rice season.  I just made my second batch and it's pretty darn good.  Key is lots of ginger and sesame oil.

Also tried my first onion volcano.  I'd call it UT football 2020, maybe 2011.  My 4 year old was so excited and so underwhelmed.  My goal is to maybe get to 2008 levels next time as I address my far too light touch on the rum.

I have 36 inch and the cover and recommend both.  in central Tx and no issues (so far).  Spend extra $100 for 36 inch, won't regret it.

Edited by Hornbeliever
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The advantage of the pro series is the hood, right?  So you can have an oven effect if needed?

My only complaint with the blackstone is the build quality of the cabinet.  I'd take a look to see if the build quality of the pro is heavier steel, or just the same very cheap thin walled shit.  The cover is a definite upgrade.  I am really not worried about the hood for oven effect, more for storage imo.  I use one of these bowls when I need to have something covered for melting or cooking through.

The camp chef looks fine as well, but the rear drain on the blackstone seems like a better solution to me. 

1818_36SSProSeries_QuarterView_Food_V1_1

61+Nz13I-TL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hornbeliever said:

Seems like its fried rice season.  I just made my second batch and it's pretty darn good.  Key is lots of ginger and sesame oil.

I have the Benihana fried rice recipe. Also refrigerate the rice a few hours or overnight to reduce moisture.

Garlic Butter For Rice (2 cups rice):
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- half lemon juice
- soy sauce to your taste
- mix

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mycox said:

I have the Benihana fried rice recipe. Also refrigerate the rice a few hours or overnight to reduce moisture.

Garlic Butter For Rice (2 cups rice):
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- half lemon juice
- soy sauce to your taste
- mix

Agree on making rice night before.  To your recipe, i added

- chopped onions and Poblano peppers

- more garlic

- ginger

- sesame oil

- frozen peas and carrots

- chopped ginger

-pork

I've done pork both times and super pleased.  Going to do pork again one more time to just perfect and move on to shrimp. 

I don't think the hood gives you an oven effect or if it does it's minor imo.  I have the 27' with the hood and I don't think enough heat is radiating off the cooktop surface to do anything other than melt cheese.  The hood imo is just keeping stuff off it.  Mine doesn't have the cabinets though.  I don't like cabinets and stuff on grills because they easily get full of dirt and dust.

• Hook 'Em 1

My only complaint with the blackstone is the build quality of the cabinet.  I'd take a look to see if the build quality of the pro is heavier steel, or just the same very cheap thin walled shit.  The cover is a definite upgrade.  I am really not worried about the hood for oven effect, more for storage imo.  I use one of these bowls when I need to have something covered for melting or cooking through.
The camp chef looks fine as well, but the rear drain on the blackstone seems like a better solution to me. 

1818_36SSProSeries_QuarterView_Food_V1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1597944646
61+Nz13I-TL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have the pro, the cabinet is sturdier than any grill I’ve ever owned.

The lid seems to retain heat well, haven’t had to dome anything to melt cheese, just close the lid for about the same amount of time as I would put the dome on food.

I don't think the hood gives you an oven effect or if it does it's minor imo.  I have the 27' with the hood and I don't think enough heat is radiating off the cooktop surface to do anything other than melt cheese.  The hood imo is just keeping stuff off it.  Mine doesn't have the cabinets though.  I don't like cabinets and stuff on grills because they easily get full of dirt and dust.
That's fucking massive! Is it like this, only a flat top?43439e9e181520e40a70ea0f6d83b1d1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 9:09 AM, Skipper said:

We frequently do sous vide steak then sear.  Typically on our old stand alone gas grill I plan to get rid of soon unless I have my Kamodo going for something else.    Any downside to utilizing a griddle to sear (other than no grill marks I guess which I could probably live with).

I usually use a cast iron skillet ripping hot to sear after sous vide.  No reason a griddle couldn't work as long as it gets hot enough.