Tell me about ou

Texas007

(Super K) Red River Write-Up

Spoiler

Over on the OU side, we asked our readers how interested they would be in receiving some occasional updates on Texas. Probably around 90% or more of those who commented said they would be interested in that. So, we did a Red River Write-Up for them highlighting some Texas topics that are relevant to them as fans of the rivals program.

***While Spencer Rattler had some struggles in the first half of last season, it was after he got pulled from the Red River game that he seemed to turn a corner.

However, Rattler’s receivers couldn’t seem to pay him off on some of his more spectacular plays. And with Bridges suspended most of last year and Haselwood out with injury, the Sooners worst group was their wide receiver group.

So, this off-season, that has been a big emphasis for Riley and company.

***We are told that Marvin Mims has taken the next step (I still can’t believe Herman’s staff didn’t offer him). But perhaps most importantly for the Sooners is they finally have a guy who can separate. Something they haven’t had since Hollywood Brown left. It just so happens that it’s another Florida prospect in Mario Williams who we’ve been told is giving OU DBs fits in practice.

He’ll be a guy who plays a lot this season.

***Another guy that Texas fans will likely see a lot of is Arkansas WR graduate transfer Mike Woods. I’ve been told that Woods will do some virtual visits this week. He’s already done one with the Sooners but did not give them a commitment. However, he has indicated strongly that that is the direction he is leaning. I would not be surprised if he schedules or has already scheduled a call with Texas.

But again we think this one is trending OU.

Texas was going to see Woods either way, this upcoming season.

***Obviously the big news this past week for Oklahoma was the suspension of two of their players pending investigation. The names were originally withheld by the university but were later released.

Although early on we were given details about the allegations, we have avoided speaking on the topic much. It just feels like a toxic one.

But given how much the Oklahoma media outlets have reported on it, I do wonder what it will mean for the two young men, neither of whom have been charged with anything, and what it will mean in terms of their ability to return to OU and finally what impact it could have on recruiting.

In terms of the impact on the field, I think Woods gives them a guy with a lot more experience than the currently suspended wide receiver. And, they added Tennessee running back, Eric Gray who we’ve been told has been stellar in camp. So, assuming they land Woods, I don’t foresee it being a big issue for them on the field. Although the wide receiver that was suspended was having a big camp.

2 hours ago, Scholz said:

OK I'll bite.  Based on...?  Because such a statement is certainly not precedented in Norman.

Trust me on this one, they will be off the team pretty quick. From what I’ve read Seth McGowan has been a pain in the ass since he got to campus and has gotten in trouble quite a bit. Just not enough to get kicked out, that has changed. Mixon fucked a girls face up and I love OU a lot, but he should have never stepped foot on the campus. But he never pulled a gun, one different decision from the guy they robbed and we are talking about murder. No way they play again. 

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

So easy to hate this fucker...

Excellent.  If you guys don’t hate the head coach in Norman I want him fired on the spot.  I’ll be honest I haven’t hated a Texas coach in my adult life.  Hope it stays that way.  But I’ll admit Sark seems to have ‘it’.  Dbag TH was a laughingstock the second he had that sledgehammer fail.  Knew he wouldn’t be that guy, thankfully.  

edit: and the embarrassing part...’Sears’ is on that trophy behind LR the last time OU won it all.  Gross

Edited by ChiTownDoc

• 2 weeks later...

No Gus Johnson at Red River this year...

1475625378-soonerkidcrying.jpg?w=1200&h=

ESPN/ABC unveiled it will return to airing the annual AT&T Red River Showdown between Texas and Oklahoma. The Texas-OU game has been broadcast by FOX for the last several years, but will return to the ESPN/ABC family of networks for the 2021 matchup between the two rival programs.

On 5/18/2021 at 6:51 PM, LTtxfan said:

No Gus Johnson at Red River this year...

1475625378-soonerkidcrying.jpg?w=1200&h=

ESPN/ABC unveiled it will return to airing the annual AT&T Red River Showdown between Texas and Oklahoma. The Texas-OU game has been broadcast by FOX for the last several years, but will return to the ESPN/ABC family of networks for the 2021 matchup between the two rival programs.

original.gif

Hopefully Sean McDonough will be the play-by-play guy 

I know being 11am sucks but all Fox Sports is trying to do is give us all more football content.  Nationally televised games when hardly any other good games are on. And we're mad when they pick us because everyone prefers night games. 

Yeah, OU has had a bit more than its fair share of 11am kicks, but the reaction from fans is ridiculous. OU had one 11am home kick last year, but every time a home game gets 11am, there is a group that says that OU "always" gets 11am home games.

I honestly thought the Joe C quote was a photoshop at first from his original message when Nebby was trying to back out. That also feels like a big overreaction. I know OU had a lot of recruiting activity and celebration of the 50 year anniversary of the Game of the Century stuff planned, but Jesus.

OU-Nebraska in 2000 was #1 vs #3 and was an 11am kick. 

Also, it feels like people have to be told every single time that on Fox, the 11a game is the featured game. There is always the relentless "OMG we aren't getting respect blah blah" when they are in the featured position. tOSU-Oregon and tOSU-Michigan are already both announced for 11a kicks. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Yeah, OU has had a bit more than its fair share of 11am kicks, but the reaction from fans is ridiculous. OU had one 11am home kick last year, but every time a home game gets 11am, there is a group that says that OU "always" gets 11am home games.

I honestly thought the Joe C quote was a photoshop at first from his original message when Nebby was trying to back out. That also feels like a big overreaction. I know OU had a lot of recruiting activity and celebration of the 50 year anniversary of the Game of the Century stuff planned, but Jesus.

OU-Nebraska in 2000 was #1 vs #3 and was an 11am kick. 

Also, it feels like people have to be told every single time that on Fox, the 11a game is the featured game. There is always the relentless "OMG we aren't getting respect blah blah" when they are in the featured position. tOSU-Oregon and tOSU-Michigan are already both announced for 11a kicks. 

That early timeslot sucks for local businesses and for hosting a recruiting weekend.  Joe C has to hear from his donors, local businesses, Riley, etc.  At some point after this goes on for years, Joe has to make it look like he's at least trying to do something about it.  It's not like OU hasn't been a team player in taking those early kickoffs for years for years.  

I get why FOX does what they do from a branding standpoint but that doesn't make the strategy comfortable for their rights partners west of the eastern time zone.  If you don't want your partners looking around (either from your or from their conference that partners with you), you have to be a little flexible.  

10 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

OU fans on Twitter are saying shit like "we should go to the Big 10".

Meanwhile, Ohio State has 5 kick times announced.  3 of them are 11AM.

But go ahead.  Become Nebraska.

There's an OU-to-B1G group that takes every bit of negative press, whenever it happens and for whatever the reason, and argues uses that press to argue for leaving for the Big Ten.  This story though was kind of a backfire.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, camel at sea said:

There's an OU-to-B1G group that takes every bit of negative press, whenever it happens and for whatever the reason, and argues uses that press to argue for leaving for the Big Ten.  This story though was kind of a backfire.  

ADs don't normally call out their media 'partners' publicly.  This smells. 

1 hour ago, notre dame joe said:

ADs don't normally call out their media 'partners' publicly.  This smells. 

Yeah.  OU has been playing a lot of 11 a.m. games over the last few years.  Ohio State plays them too, but it's a little fan friendlier for them with the time zone difference.  So the situation with the early kickoff complaints at OU is a little bit unique.  That said, it's not like PAC ADs haven't been complaining publicly about late kick off times for a decade. 

In any case, Castiglione has undoubtedly been fielding the complaints and passing them along to FOX.  For whatever reason, FOX has either chosen not to take OU's complaints seriously or they're unable to do anything about it.  If the issue was the former, then FOX probably understands the animosity right now better than they did before the press release.  If it's the latter, then the complainers know the situation better.

I'd imagine that this issue will be a point of contention between OU, the Big 12, and the media partner whenever we get around to negotiating the next rights deal.  It sounds as though the Big 12 supported OU in this at least.  I for one like the idea of the Big 12 parking Tier 1 in that now vacated mid-afternoon spot on CBS.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, camel at sea said:

That early timeslot sucks for local businesses and for hosting a recruiting weekend.  Joe C has to hear from his donors, local businesses, Riley, etc.  At some point after this goes on for years, Joe has to make it look like he's at least trying to do something about it.  It's not like OU hasn't been a team player in taking those early kickoffs for years for years.  

I get why FOX does what they do from a branding standpoint but that doesn't make the strategy comfortable for their rights partners west of the eastern time zone.  If you don't want your partners looking around (either from your or from their conference that partners with you), you have to be a little flexible.  

As we inch closer to the expiration of the Big 12 GOR, the posturing from inside as well as outside the conference will steadily ratchet up. Every organization is going to try to position themselves as best they can. OU is certainly going to be one of the loudest voices in the fray.

Personally, I have never heard of a fan refusing to watch their team play because they objected to the assigned start time. It doesn't happen in the NFL. It doesn't happen in European soccer leagues. It doesn't happen. Anywhere.

Personally, I'd rather see ADs focusing on implementing NIL legislation than bitching about kickoff times, but each AD has to play to their constituency.

On 5/28/2021 at 9:09 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

OU fans on Twitter are saying shit like "we should go to the Big 10".

Meanwhile, Ohio State has 5 kick times announced.  3 of them are 11AM.

But go ahead.  Become Nebraska.

Don’t worry, nobody with a brain would let that happen.  Just do us all a favor and kick Iowa’s ass.  And we’ll try not to choke on the national stage - again. 

Don’t worry, nobody with a brain would let that happen.  Just do us all a favor and kick Iowa’s ass.  And we’ll try not to choke on the national stage - again. 

You only choke in the playoffs. Usually OU handles non conference business otherwise.

If we slaughtered Iowa this year, I’d have wood for a week. There’s no reason we can’t do that.
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Personally, I have never heard of a fan refusing to watch their team play because they objected to the assigned start time. It doesn't happen in the NFL. It doesn't happen in European soccer leagues. It doesn't happen. Anywhere.

I've reached the point where I will not set the alarm clock for a groggy PAC time kickoff.  This was unthinkable just a decade ago when my phone chirped at 5:45AM because the Irish opened in Dublin.

Related: I will not attend an AM Fiesta Bowl in a domed Cardinals Stadium way out in the suburbs. 

Edited by notre dame joe

10 hours ago, camel at sea said:

I'd imagine that this issue will be a point of contention between OU, the Big 12, and the media partner whenever we get around to negotiating the next rights deal.  It sounds as though the Big 12 supported OU in this at least.  I for one like the idea of the Big 12 parking Tier 1 in that now vacated mid-afternoon spot on CBS.  

The conference would have to sacrifice dollars but hopefully it brings more ratings at that spot and maybe they could follow the SEC blueprint and get a huge deal on the next negotiations.

1 hour ago, notre dame joe said:

I've reached the point where I will not set the alarm clock for a groggy PAC time kickoff.  This was unthinkable just a decade ago when my phone chirped at 5:45AM because the Irish opened in Dublin.

Related: I will not attend an AM Fiesta Bowl in a domed Cardinals Stadium way out in the suburbs. 

It's funny how game watching experiences change over time. There were generations who would never have attended a game with a 2:30pm start because stadium lights were unheard of and any game starting after 2:00pm risked not finishing before dark on November nights in the north. They only knew "prime time" as a 12 noon (EST) start.

I don't care what time the game starts. Every game day experience should be unique. Sadly, in Texas we have an entire trade school dedicated to keeping things simple for the simple. They avoid having to understand the concept of tradition by simply fabricating their own version of history. Truth be told, on their first game they ever played their team quit at halftime and didn't even come out to play the second half.

They haven't improved much since.

The earliest I have gotten up for a college football game (so far) is 3:30am. I honestly don't care what time the game starts. Each media game slot has its own traditions and culture. Having a variety of them each season is a positive as far as I am concerned.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

11 seems a bit late, how bout an 8 am kickoff.

Bring it. I don't give a fuck.

If you have ever been to the FCS championship game down in Frisco, TX, you know the ND St crew travels as well as any FBS fanbase in the nation and they start partying at 6:00am. Hard.

11 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

It's funny how game watching experiences change over time. There were generations who would never have attended a game with a 2:30pm start because stadium lights were unheard of and any game starting after 2:00pm risked not finishing before dark on November nights in the north. They only knew "prime time" as a 12 noon (EST) start.

I don't care what time the game starts. Every game day experience should be unique. Sadly, in Texas we have an entire trade school dedicated to keeping things simple for the simple. They avoid having to understand the concept of tradition by simply fabricating their own version of history. Truth be told, on their first game they ever played their team quit at halftime and didn't even come out to play the second half.

They haven't improved much since.

The earliest I have gotten up for a college football game (so far) is 3:30am. I honestly don't care what time the game starts. Each media game slot has its own traditions and culture. Having a variety of them each season is a positive as far as I am concerned.

True.  I didn't know I was that old.  It was only 1 generation ago when college football, and a Cubs home game, was always played in the day time. Now some fans feel they are being treated unfairly because of 11am instead of noon.  But no one when the PAC is playing football past midnight.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

SIAP...  Week 6

Red River Game:  At least one betting line has blOU  -11.5 

That's easy money. Mack FUPM "I'm Scared to Death" Brown won't be on the Texas sideline.

Even Strong and Herman never lost by double digits to OU in October.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Machinator said:

Of course Tre chooses blOU... 😂😂😂

Bradford, who goes by “Tre,” does come with some recent controversial baggage, however. He was arrested in December for an alleged shoplifting incident at a Baton Rouge Walmart store. He was processed and booked at a Baton Rouge Detention Center and released on a misdemeanor summons, according to the Baton Rouge Advocate.

https://stormininnorman.com/2021/06/18/oklahoma-football-sooner-pick-up-rb-transfer-from-lsu/

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Of course Tre chooses blOU... 😂😂😂

Bradford, who goes by “Tre,” does come with some recent controversial baggage, however. He was arrested in December for an alleged shoplifting incident at a Baton Rouge Walmart store. He was processed and booked at a Baton Rouge Detention Center and released on a misdemeanor summons, according to the Baton Rouge Advocate.

https://stormininnorman.com/2021/06/18/oklahoma-football-sooner-pick-up-rb-transfer-from-lsu/

So a choir boy by ou standards.

On 5/29/2021 at 10:59 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

You only choke in the playoffs. Usually OU handles non conference business otherwise.

If we slaughtered Iowa this year, I’d have wood for a week. There’s no reason we can’t do that.

I've known you long enough that you can't really believe this, right? We've been ranked even or close to OU several times this last decade, I think we may have even been favored a few times, and managed to beat them twice, the most recent being a fluke in 2015 with one of our worst teams during that span. Granted, Iowa isn't the same blueblood pedigree as ou, but it seems record, talent, etc., has little to do with our rivalries that have a hundred plus years of baggage. 

13 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I've known you long enough that you can't really believe this, right? We've been ranked even or close to OU several times this last decade, I think we may have even been favored a few times, and managed to beat them twice, the most recent being a fluke in 2015 with one of our worst teams during that span. Granted, Iowa isn't the same blueblood pedigree as ou, but it seems record, talent, etc., has little to do with our rivalries that have a hundred plus years of baggage. 

We're better than Iowa at every position except OL.  Their QB is average at best, and he's making his first start in front of a real crowd at Jack Trice against a John Heacock defense.

We really are capable of piss pounding them, but we won't.  Because Campbell can't beat Iowa.

It's weird how the rivalry has changed over the course of my fanhood.  When I started following, we were nearing the end of Iowa having a 15 year winning streak over ISU.  I was 13 the first time Iowa State beat Iowa in my lifetime, and ISU then went on to win 5 straight over the Hawks, including their only loss in 2002.  For the next 12 years, it was a super even back and forth rivalry.  The rub was always that no matter how shitty ISU was, we were going to give Iowa a game and frequently upset them.  Campbell got absolutely obliterated by Iowa in his first season, and that's kind of viewed as a moment where his tenure at ISU really shifted.  They improved almost immediately, scaring most Big 12 teams in 2016 before breaking out the next year.  In the meanwhile, we haven't been able to beat Iowa.  Even when we have a similar, or possibly better ('17 and '19 for sure) squads.  Now the conventional wisdom is that ISU is the better team, but Iowa just has some kind of jinx.

Ou fans accuse of of bedlam being "our superbowl" as some sort of pejorative. Of course it's our biggest game of the year, we want to beat them to goddamned bad. As for the players, I'm sure they feel the same way. But it's pretty clear that they're players treat it as a "superbowl" too. Their motivations are different, we want to win badly, they can't stomach the thought of losing to us. Either way, they play just as elevated as we do, which is why we keep losing. Otherwise, the record the last 15 years would be a lot less lopsided. If we could just get them once on a mediocre day while we're solid, we can win. It never works out that way though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Ou fans accuse of of bedlam being "our superbowl" as some sort of pejorative. Of course it's our biggest game of the year, we want to beat them to goddamned bad. As for the players, I'm sure they feel the same way. But it's pretty clear that they're players treat it as a "superbowl" too. Their motivations are different, we want to win badly, they can't stomach the thought of losing to us. Either way, they play just as elevated as we do, which is why we keep losing. Otherwise, the record the last 15 years would be a lot less lopsided. If we could just get them once on a mediocre day while we're solid, we can win. It never works out that way though. 

Bedlam is definitely a more lopsided affair than the CyHawk game.

Iowa fans do the same shit about it being our "superbowl".  Really, 75% of the time ISU has won the game, they were pretty clearly the better team on the balance of the season.  Only 3 times (2002, 2007, and 2014) did ISU win and go on to have a worse record than Iowa.

The funny part is that after years of Iowa fans losing to ISU and then saying shit like "the Indiana game is more important anyways because we're trying to win a conference championship" while we roll our eyes, the reverse is starting to come true for us.  I honestly do care less about the Iowa game now that I've resigned it as a loss, because I know we have a 50/50 shot of beating OU.  Don't get me wrong, I still badly want to win that game, and I will flip shit if we lose, but some of the most enjoyable ISU football seasons of my life didn't have a win over Iowa in them.

There's a lot of overlap in the OU/OSU dynamic and the Iowa/ISU dynamic.  The difference is your tormentor is a blue blood.  Our's just thinks they are.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Other difference is that you and Iowa are in different conferences so they can't ever keep you from winning a championship. OU has spoiled our chance at another conference title over and over and over again. You also get yours out of the way early, we have usually play them at the end of the year, so we can build up a hell of a season, and they'll always prevent us from winning a title. It sucks, but it is what it is. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 2:05 PM, 'stache said:

Other difference is that you and Iowa are in different conferences so they can't ever keep you from winning a championship. OU has spoiled our chance at another conference title over and over and over again. You also get yours out of the way early, we have usually play them at the end of the year, so we can build up a hell of a season, and they'll always prevent us from winning a title. It sucks, but it is what it is. 

That is a very fair point.

Although this year they could prevent us from getting to the playoff.