Neonmoon

Fire Tom Herman

10 hours ago, petscii said:

Can anyone ever think of a time where the Head Coach fired errbody under him and then turned it around

Mack Brown.  Went 5-7 and fired errbody.  Reeled off 8-5, 9-4, 8-5.  Retired to do TV.

Gary Patterson.  Went 4-8 in 2013.  Fired half of errbody.  Went 12-1, 11-2.  Retired to focus on runnnig his chain of saunas.

Saban replaced both coordinators after year 1.
2007: OC: Applewhite / DC :Steele
2008: OC - McElwain / DC - Smart

Saban was an already national championship winning commodity.

17 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

In the latest US news rankings ND was ranked at 15, Texas was at 48. I'd say that's way above. Way way above. 

Wisconsin was the closest at 46, everyone else I listed was 34(Florida) or above that. 

There's no question that Stanford and USC are better than Texas as universities by a mile. Let's face it, Texas is a public school that has enrollment of close to 50K students. That alone precludes Texas from being as selective as the ones listed above. 

USNWR national rankings are for clowns. Their program specific rankings are decent enough and their global rankings are fine, but their national ones are a joke. Also, being a public school with a large enrollment may preclude selectivity, but it sure as hell doesn't preclude excellence. We train great graduates and more importantly pump out elite research. Edsger Djikstra (a former Texas CS professor before he passed away) generated more important research  than USC and ND combined over their respective lifetimes (only a slight exaggeration). ND and USC are decent undergrad institutions who have their relative greatness artificially inflated by USNWR's private school bias. Like do you seriously expect me to believe that the school that has accounted for the 3rd most Nobel Prizes in the world and 2nd in the US, only behind Harvard, is somehow a lesser institution than Notre Dame or Vanderbilt?

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

2 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

USNWR national rankings are for clowns. Their program specific rankings are decent enough and their global rankings are fine but their national ones are a joke. And being a public school with a large enrollment may preclude selectivity but doesn't preclude excellence. We train great graduates and more importantly pump out elite research. Edsger Djikstra (a former Texas CS professor before he passed away) generated more important research  than USC and ND combined over their respective lifetimes (only a slight exaggeration). ND and USC are decent undergrad institutions who have their relative greatness artificially inflated by USNWR's private school bias. Like do you seriously expect me to believe that the school that has accounted for the 3rd most Nobel Prizes in the world and 2nd in the US, only behind Harvard, is somehow a lesser institution than Notre Dame or Vanderbilt?

or university of bath salts

Michigan is elite.  the other publics.....

Saban replaced both coordinators after year 1.
2007: OC: Applewhite / DC :Steele
2008: OC - McElwain / DC - Smart

That at least looks like a guy that can admit he made a mistake and is looking to upgrade his situation. Herman looks exactly the opposite of that.

4 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

USNWR national rankings are for clowns. Their program specific rankings are decent enough and their global rankings are fine but their national ones are a joke. And being a public school with a large enrollment may preclude selectivity but doesn't preclude excellence. We train great graduates and more importantly pump out elite research. Edsger Djikstra (a former Texas CS professor before he passed away) generated more important research  than USC and ND combined over their respective lifetimes (only a slight exaggeration). ND and USC are decent undergrad institutions who have their relative greatness artificially inflated by USNWR's private school bias. Like do you seriously expect me to believe that the school that has accounted for the 3rd most Nobel Prizes in the world and 2nd in the US, only behind Harvard, is somehow a lesser institution than Notre Dame or Vanderbilt?

Where do you get this information? Here's the list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_laureates_by_university_affiliation

And Texas doesn't crack the Top 20. University of Illinois, UC San Diego, etc do however amongst other obvious ones like Harvard and MIT. 

Just now, 52-80 said:

or university of bath salts

Michigan is elite.  the other publics.....

Yeah. Michigan is undeniably a better school than us. Florida is not. ND is not. USC is not. Wisconsin is probably about the same tier as us (seriously underrated school imo). Stanford is probably the second best school in the world, so yes they blow us out of the water.

I know nothing about UW, but Madison is absolutely gorgeous. It has a 'wow' factor to it. Visited about 10 years ago and was taken aback. I didn't even realize it was top 10 best cities to live in at the time, but I can see why. I can see their university being a good one. It's very attractive on the outside. We walked around and it's beautiful.

8 minutes ago, jet black said:

That at least looks like a guy that can admit he made a mistake and is looking to upgrade his situation. Herman looks exactly the opposite of that.

Let’s let herm make the hires before judging 

12 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

Where do you get this information? Here's the list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_laureates_by_university_affiliation

And Texas doesn't crack the Top 20. University of Illinois, UC San Diego, etc do however amongst other obvious ones like Harvard and MIT. 

I was talking about Berkeley there, thought I mentioned them by name, but I suppose not. I'll fix that. I think we're probably around 30-40 In the world and USNWR Global Rankings seems to agree (and correctly puts Wisconsin at 37 just behind us at 34 and Berkeley at 4). As does CWUR, which puts us at 31 (Wisconsin at 25! and Cal at 8). ARWU, which is a little more generous to foreign universities, has us at 40, which is good for 27 in the country.

EDIT: Too late to fix apparently. For clarification, let me be clear when I was talking about a school being 3rd in Nobel Prizes I was talking about Berkeley as an example to show the private school bias in the USNWR national rankings (which isn't present in its global or program specific rankings)

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

2 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

I was talking about Berkeley there, thought I mentioned them by name, but I suppose not. I'll fix that. I think we're probably around 30-40 In the world and USNWR Global Rankings seems to agree (and correctly puts Wisconsin at 37 just behind us at 34 and Berkeley at 4). As does CWUR, which puts us at 31 (Wisconsin at 25! and Cal at 8). ARWU, which is a little more generous to foreign universities, has us at 40, which is good for 27 in the country.

Oh so you were referring to UC Berkeley being behind Harvard and not Texas? Because it sure as hell wouldn't be right. 

Look Texas is a fine institution but it cannot compare academically to UC public schools or USC or even Michigan. Let's all stop pretending that.

9 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I know nothing about UW, but Madison is absolutely gorgeous. It has a 'wow' factor to it. Visited about 10 years ago and was taken aback. I didn't even realize it was top 10 best cities to live in at the time, but I can see why. I can see their university being a good one. It's very attractive on the outside. We walked around and it's beautiful.

And then January and February happen.  It is really nice outside of winter though.

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Times Higher Education

Still lists Michigan way above Texas and also U Dub. So football and academics are possible.

Just now, hornhorn said:

Still lists Michigan way above Texas and also U Dub. So football and academics are possible.

I thought we were talking about Notre Dame?

4 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

Oh so you were referring to UC Berkeley being behind Harvard and not Texas? Because it sure as hell wouldn't be right. 

Look Texas is a fine institution but it cannot compare academically to UC public schools or USC or even Michigan. Let's all stop pretending that.

Yes, I agree with everything besides USC. USC isn't some glorious school. They game USNWR hard, whoop-de-doo. Ask yourself who are the great alumni or professors there that compare to ours? Berkeley, LA, and SD are all better than Texas with the first being tiers above, the second being a tier above, and the last being better but about on the same tier. Michigan is undeniably a tier above us as well, I agree. I do agree that you can win and be a good school though.

3 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I thought we were talking about Notre Dame?

Fair enough, it lists them way below that. But my point isn't that this school is better or that school is better its for those posters who claim that Texas cannot have top notch football and a top 50 academics. Its possible.

16 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I know nothing about UW, but Madison is absolutely gorgeous.

And then they tell you the lake freezes in the winter and you're all like "well fuck that". 

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

Lol. I was absolutely confident Herman wasn't going to fired after the 2019 season. Many people disagreed with me, but I was not only confident, I was correct.

way to go way, way, way the fuck out there on that limb. 

2 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

And then they tell you the lake freezes in the winter and you're all like "well fuck that". 

Yeah, that's something I couldn't deal with. I saw part of the UW/Minnesota game, and thought to myself "thank God I live in Texas. I couldn't deal with that snow shit."

1 minute ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Yes, I agree with everything besides USC. USC isn't some glorious school. They game USNWR hard, whoop-de-doo. Ask yourself who are the great alumni or professors there that compare to ours? Berkeley, LA, and SD are all better than Texas with the first being tiers above, the second being a tier above, and the last being better but about on the same tier. Michigan is undeniably a tier above us as well, I agree. I do agree that you can win and be a good school though.

Uh Will Ferrell? Alright, enough highjacking of this thread. Let's fire Tom already!

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

Yeah, that's something I couldn't deal with. I saw part of the UW/Minnesota game, and thought to myself "thank God I live in Texas. I couldn't deal with that snow shit."

And its fucking muggy 4 months out of the year and it gets dark at 3pm same 4 months. Fuck that BS.

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

And then January and February happen.  It is really nice outside of winter though.

Yeah, exactly. I couldn't deal with their winters, but outside of that it's beautiful. We went in August, if I can remember correctly. 

Just now, hornhorn said:

And its fucking muggy 4 months out of the year and it gets dark at 3pm same 4 months. Fuck that BS.

Damn, really? And I thought it getting dark at 6 here sucked ass. 

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Damn, really? And I thought it getting dark at 6 here sucked ass. 

I worked for Procter and Gamble right out of college and went to Cincy for training for two weeks in January. We'd meet up at 8 and leave at 4, never saw the sun until I got back to Dallas.

Madison is north of Cincy so I can't imagine it being any better.

Yeah it's the same.  My wife is from Madison and says when she was a kid going to school in the winter that she left home on the bus in the dark and got back home in the dark.

Edited by kevwun

13 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

Uh Will Ferrell? Alright, enough highjacking of this thread. Let's fire Tom already!

Tbh I think he can turn it around. I knew plenty of people like him growing up that were very smart, got full of themselves and arrogant which caused them to make stupid mistakes everyone else could see but them. Most of them got back up and killed it after being humiliated. I could see Herman pulling it off if given one more year. Hiring Ash would put a damper on those hopes though.

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

I also never said there would be no changed prior to 2023

On 11/12/2019 at 12:55 PM, Randolph Duke said:

Absent any major misstep, there isn't going to be a change in any of the three major sports programs at UT Austin prior to at least 2023

Never change, Randy. Never change. 

Notre Dame, Michigan, USC, Stanford, Wisconsin and Florida all ranked way higher than UT in academics and are doing better in football. It is possible. Those people that claim whether Texas wants to do better or commit to winning are just experiencing sour grapes because of the underperformance they've seen over the years. 

That’s a really bad post, none of those are WAY higher in academics and what year are we talking s out being better than Texas? Everyone of those schools has underperformed like Texas in football lately

1 hour ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Yeah. Michigan is undeniably a better school than us. Florida is not. ND is not. USC is not. Wisconsin is probably about the same tier as us (seriously underrated school imo). Stanford is probably the second best school in the world, so yes they blow us out of the water.

What the fuck? Based on what, degree programs? I think the NW rating is a bullshit talking piece. 

1 hour ago, hornhorn said:

In the latest US news rankings ND was ranked at 15, Texas was at 48. I'd say that's way above. Way way above. 

Wisconsin was the closest at 46, everyone else I listed was 34(Florida) or above that. 

There's no question that Stanford and USC are better than Texas as universities by a mile. Let's face it, Texas is a public school that has enrollment of close to 50K students. That alone precludes Texas from being as selective as the ones listed above. 

Yeah, US News rankings are worthless as fuck.

You don't know wtf you're talking about.

Yeah it’s great for three months out of the year

Just now, Mileslong said:

Yeah it’s great for three months out of the year

That's pretty much what I've come away with. I most definitely wouldn't want to live there. I still can't grasp how it gets so dark THAT early. Jesus, that's insane. That's like some Alaska bullshit. 

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Yeah, US News rankings are worthless as fuck.

You don't know wtf you're talking about.

Yeah, any publication that ranks Texas below Florida is worthless as fuck.

LOL, ok. 

You choose a publication then.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2020/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25/locations/US/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

Tied for #21 in the United States. Ahead of Illinois, Wisconsin, North Carolina, USC, and many others you act like are on another level.

Notre Dame is down there next to Arizona State. Keep going a bit past them and you'll get to Florida and Texas A&M.

Edited by Huckleberry
Got the ranking wrong

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2020/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25/locations/US/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

#22 in the United States. Ahead of Illinois, Wisconsin, North Carolina, USC, and many others you act like are on another level.

Notre Dame is down there next to Arizona State. Keep going a bit past them and you'll get to Florida and Texas A&M.

Times relies entirely too much on research put out by universities. Its purely due to being a state university of the second largest state in the Union it enjoys the research budget that it does. You can see that in why UT lags behind not one but 2 Cali public schools in UCLA and UC San Diego. 

Larger state = larger research budget = more research = higher ranking. 

Skewed and not reliable due to that. The mere fact that it lists Brown and Rice below UT is laughable. Both of those schools and their students would run circles around 95% of UT kids when it comes to IQ. 

3 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

Both of those schools and their students would run circles around 95% of UT kids when it comes to IQ. 

Don't be ridiculous. 95% of those kids would fall down if they tried to run in a circle.

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

Don't be ridiculous. 95% of those kids would fall down if they tried to run in a circle.

Haha, good point I take that back. 

2 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

Times relies entirely too much on research put out by universities. Its purely due to being a state university of the second largest state in the Union it enjoys the research budget that it does. You can see that in why UT lags behind not one but 2 Cali public schools in UCLA and UC San Diego. 

Larger state = larger research budget = more research = higher ranking. 

Skewed and not reliable due to that. The mere fact that it lists Brown and Rice below UT is laughable. Both of those schools and their students would run circles around 95% of UT kids when it comes to IQ. 

lulz I knew this was coming.

From the guy who said "OH IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE RANKINGS IT MUST BE WRONG SOMEHOW" to other people.

Meanwhile, Texas is #20 in the United States in the teaching metric, you know, what a university is supposed to be about for students. Texas is tied for #22 in research and is #44 in citations (both below their overall ranking), so your explanation is wrong. UT's ranking is driven down by our lack of international students compared to our peers, which of course is driven by State policy.

But the funniest thing is this apparent idea you have that average student IQ is how universities should be ranked. That may be the dumbest method for ranking schools that I've ever heard.