Cord Cutters Thread

Internet should not be $100. My xfinity is $70
Depends on where you live. I pay $100 for Xfinity/Comcast 100 mbps internet plus phone...which was cheaper than internet only. Cable, not fiber...no fiber option where I live. This also comes with a free Flex streaming box and free Peacock Premium. I believe only internet-only customers get free Flex/Peacock...not TV customers.

Flex box is crap. Peacock Premium is nice for EPL games.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/27/21535264/tmobile-tvision-live-internet-tv-streaming-service-price

Not sure if LHN is available.... But coming soon          (Not on Roku)

T-Mobile expands into live internet TV with new TVision streaming service

After years of anticipation, T-Mobile is finally getting into the live TV business with the launch of a new internet-based streaming service called TVision, launching on November 1st.  To be clear: TVision isn’t using the fiber-optic-based IPTV technology that it acquired alongside Layer3 back in 2017. It’s a traditional over-the-top streaming service that simply streams live television over the internet, just like YouTube TV, Hulu’s live TV service, Fubo TV, Sling TV, or (in perhaps the closest analogy) AT&T TV. But what sets TVision apart is its pricing, which aims to offer lower costs and more flexibility than its competitors.

To that end, TVision is broken up into a few different products. There’s the $40-per-month TVision Live, which offers the most traditional cable TV line. It’s focused largely on providing news and sports, including channels like ABC, NBC, and Fox (although notably, not CBS), news networks like CNBC, CNN, ABC News, and Fox News, along with sports-focused channels like FS1, FS2, ESPN, and NBC Sports. Additionally, TVision Live includes general cable fare like the Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, SyFy, TBS, TNT, USA, and Bravo.

There are also two additional tiers of TVision Live: the $50 Live TV Plus, which adds additional sports channels (including the Big Ten Network, ESPNU, NFL Network, and regional NBC sports channels), and the $60 Live Zone, which adds a few additional channels but whose main draw is NFL RedZone.  All three TVision Live plans also include a cloud-based DVR, which stores up to 100 hours of recordings (and, unlike some streaming services, those recordings are direct from the live TV feed — not on-demand content). TVision Live supports up to three concurrent streams, which means that you’ll be able to share an account with family members, too.

But TVision Live is just a part of TVision. There’s also TVision Vibe — which, at $10 per month for over 30 live channels from AMC, Discovery, and Viacom — might be the most interesting part of T-Mobile’s TV strategy. Channels here include AMC, BBC America, BET, Food Network, HGTV, the Hallmark Channel, MTV, TLC, Comedy Central, and Discovery.

There are a few more limitations here: TVision Vibe only supports up to two concurrent streams, and DVR access costs an extra $5 per month on top of the initial $10 subscription. But if you’re interested in the channels it offers, it’s among the cheapest live TV packages around.

Lastly, there’s TVision Channels, which offers standalone subscriptions to Starz ($8.99 per month), Showtime ($10.99 per month), and Epix ($5.99 per month).

T-Mobile’s TVision services can also be combined. For example, you can subscribe to both TVision Live for a basic set of channels and then add TVision Vibe on top for those additional entertainment-focused channels — just like regular cable.

Those prices certainly impressive, but other TV services, like Fubo or YouTube TV, have offered similarly low prices at their launches, too, only to raise prices considerably as content licensing costs have gone up. It’s not clear yet whether TVision’s various services will manage to avoid a similar fate in the future, despite T-Mobile’s usual rhetoric about offering a different sort of service than its competitors.

Edited by LTtxfan

Anyone know if there is a way to set up favorite channels in YTTV? Or any way to tune directly a a channel without scrolling through the whole guide?
Don't think you can favorite, but you can reorder the channels to your liking. Put your favorites at the top.

For me, YTTV always starts on the last channel I watched.

Don't think you can favorite, but you can reorder the channels to your liking. Put your favorites at the top.

For me, YTTV always starts on the last channel I watched.

Interesting. I watch through a Roku and I always have to reload it each time and it starts at the home page. Kind of irritating actually.

I did look up reordering the guide. Pretty useful.

I'm on NVIDIA Shield/Android TV. As long as I don't close the YTTV app, and just exit to the main screen (for me that's currently a sideloaded Google TV UI, but it was the same with the Shield UI), YTTV stays on the same channel and automatically pauses the show. So if I go to Netflix to watch something, and I come back to YTTV, it picks up right where I left off. Not sure how long that YTTV pause holds.

I just ran a test, and several of my apps hold on what I was watching when I bounced around to other apps. Netflix, Peacock, and ESPN app held, and CBS All Access kind of did...half the time. YTTV and ESPN held on what I was watching for all that bouncing around. Although some, like netflix, didn't hold that long. Hit or miss.

7 minutes ago, WithoutAClue said:

I just received an email from YTTV and they will have a free preview weekend of SHOWTIME and EPIX starting October 30 and running thru November 2.

I wonder if those channels have anything worth binge watching?

if they have their onDemand library too, then John Carpenter's The Thing is available on Showtime I think.

13 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I dont know what an NVIDIA sheild or sideload google tv is. I just use it on a Roku.

if you like YoutubeTV and will be keeping it for awhile, consider getting the new Chromecast with GoogleTV. The interface is slick and is custom made for youtubetv, comes with a remote that is just like roku's except you can use it for google voice search. It costs $50, but for $40 extra you can get 6 months free netflix ($77.94 value) that works whether you're a new or existing customer.

If you're a little advanced you can connect a bluetooth controller to it add a usb stick and download and play android games on it.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

Wish it wasn't limited to T-mobile and Sprint customers only. Their cell reception is not good at my house so no chance of becoming one. Glad for the competition though

Their 5G service is helping. It’s not super fast but it is expanding their reach a little. Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya, folks- 'preciate all of the wisdom in this thread.

Our provider got bought out (ugh), but we're on a fiber network (yay!) and the new service is essentially saying "eff TV/phone- we'll set you up to stream everything". Speeds/prices seem to be pretty decent, comparatively.

So, I'm looking for recs on streaming services. We currently subscribe to D+, Netflix, and Prime. 

• YTTV- Seems to be the favorite here, and would allow for me to still have local channels. BUT it's pricier ($65) and I'd still have to carry D+ (so $73 total)
  • Hulu Live- Could bundle it with D+ and save money ($55 for both plus ESPN+), would still get my local channels and such.

'Preciate insight from folks who've tried both, or who have some additional insights or things I should be considering.

The other option is xFinity/Comcast, which has a terrible reputation out here. 

On 11/11/2020 at 10:12 PM, NWBuck said:

Hiya, folks- 'preciate all of the wisdom in this thread.

Our provider got bought out (ugh), but we're on a fiber network (yay!) and the new service is essentially saying "eff TV/phone- we'll set you up to stream everything". Speeds/prices seem to be pretty decent, comparatively.

So, I'm looking for recs on streaming services. We currently subscribe to D+, Netflix, and Prime. 

• YTTV- Seems to be the favorite here, and would allow for me to still have local channels. BUT it's pricier ($65) and I'd still have to carry D+ (so $73 total)
  • Hulu Live- Could bundle it with D+ and save money ($55 for both plus ESPN+), would still get my local channels and such.

'Preciate insight from folks who've tried both, or who have some additional insights or things I should be considering.

The other option is xFinity/Comcast, which has a terrible reputation out here. 

I've had both Hulu and YTTV. Both wife and I highly prefer YTTV. The hulu interface is just bad. We've also experienced more buffering and forced commercials with hulu. Only reason I switched to hulu in first place was FSSW, but they no longer have anyway, so switching back to YTTV. The key though is they are month tom month, can cancel easily and quickly.

One thing before giving up cable, make sure you get or price in unlimited download. We used to hit it all the time before just changing to unlimited internet.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

One thing before giving up cable, make sure you get or price in unlimited download. We used to hit it all the time before just changing to unlimited internet.

Great insight... Thanks! 

In the above, are you referring to a data cap? I'm not sure that's something I've considered or even read about with our ISP... I'll look again 

12 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

Great insight... Thanks! 

In the above, are you referring to a data cap? I'm not sure that's something I've considered or even read about with our ISP... I'll look again 

Yeah, sorry data cap. Streaming seems to crush it... That and if you have any iPhone users in house (cloud sync seems to also abuse it)

If you can’t buy unlimited, just get a router that allows you throttle specific devices. I have all of the kids phones throttled to 1.5MPS and they can’t tell the difference. Otherwise all of the video they watch on their phone is high def even though the phone doesn’t display it

I've got kind of a dumb one that's related to the data usage. I'm capped and I like streaming fireplaces on 2 TV's in my house all the time. It's odd, I know. One of the TV's is 1080, the other 720. If I stream a 4K video on these, is it going to use 4K bandwidth when it's not actually displaying 4K on the TV's? 

This is the first time I haven't had unlimited data plan, and also the first time I've had all streaming TV service, so I'm playing around with how much I need to buy. I'm averaging about 50-75 gigs a day and it's just me in the house. I have 1000 GB a month. Guess I'll just bump it up to 4000 GB a month and not worry about it? It's only 20 bucks more a month for a year for that.

Fucking data caps. I feel like I'm on my first cell phone plan but these guys won't even give me free nights and weekends. 

8 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I've got kind of a dumb one that's related to the data usage. I'm capped and I like streaming fireplaces on 2 TV's in my house all the time. It's odd, I know. One of the TV's is 1080, the other 720. If I stream a 4K video on these, is it going to use 4K bandwidth when it's not actually displaying 4K on the TV's? 

This is the first time I haven't had unlimited data plan, and also the first time I've had all streaming TV service, so I'm playing around with how much I need to buy. I'm averaging about 50-75 gigs a day and it's just me in the house. I have 1000 GB a month. Guess I'll just bump it up to 4000 GB a month and not worry about it? It's only 20 bucks more a month for a year for that.

Fucking data caps. I feel like I'm on my first cell phone plan but these guys won't even give me free nights and weekends. 

tumblr_nwfreig6bF1qdqw3ro4_r1_500.gif

Just got Hulu email...

As we continue to refine the Hulu + Live TV experience, we’re reaching out to let you know the price of your Hulu + Live TV plan will increase from $54.99/month to $64.99/month on Friday, December 18, 2020.

lol... reminded me to cancel and go back to YTTV... no way I'm paying same/more for Hulu (with add cloud ,etc) than YTTV.

9 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Just got Hulu email...

As we continue to refine the Hulu + Live TV experience, we’re reaching out to let you know the price of your Hulu + Live TV plan will increase from $54.99/month to $64.99/month on Friday, December 18, 2020.

lol... reminded me to cancel and go back to YTTV... no way I'm paying same/more for Hulu (with add cloud ,etc) than YTTV.

for anyone on dark theme and can't read this, Hulu is raising their live tv price to $65/month the same as youtube tv. makes it an easy choice really

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/11/16/not-to-be-outdone-hulu-live-tv-to-bump-price-to-65-month/

Not to be outdone by its competition, Hulu is reported to be raising its live TV offering, Hulu + Live TV, to a price of $65/month. That puts right in line with YouTube TV’s monthly price.

Reported to go into effect on December 18th, affecting both new and current customers, this is the latest pricing change Hulu subscribers have seen since last year when the price went from $44.99 to $54.99/month in December, 2019.

Edited by Viper