Cord Cutters Thread

On 9/21/2020 at 2:48 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

That's why we should start seeing 2 gig internet deals popping up.  They already "upgraded" you to 1 gig that you won't use, why not offer 2 gig for an extra $10/month.

Its really only the 2nd number people should care about - the upload speed. Most of the gig offers right now are around 20-35Mbps upload speed.

heh: https://fiber.google.com/2gig/

Football TV scheduling is always fucked up and this year is... a strange one for sure. During a normal year we would surely have some games on Fox SW, yeah? And should we expect that this year? I can put up with having to figure out the LHN game (figured it out by attending previously) but uh fuck man I'll have to switch providers over this.

Edited by Celery Man

18 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Football TV scheduling is always fucked up and this year is... a strange one for sure. During a normal year we would surely have some games on Fox SW, yeah? And should we expect that this year? I can put up with having to figure out the LHN game (figured it out by attending previously) but uh fuck man I'll have to switch providers over this.

Thanks for info....  Love the avatar

avatar16591_19.gif.fb8004f7de1d914f7212a

What's really on FSSW right now?   With local broadcasts of MLB games wrapped up and no NHL/NBA new season start date on the horizon (both almost certainly not until sometime in '21) YTTV has some leverage.  Once NHL/NBA start up though, no FSSW is a non-starter though in normal times as Mavs/Stars (and Rangers when they aren't hot garbage) make up the majority of my winter/spring/summer viewing.

On 9/29/2020 at 6:56 PM, Celery Man said:

I could be wrong, but I don't remember a game in recent years on regional Fox Sports. We've had some on FS1, which is a different thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone tried or using https://www.playon.tv/ ??
I've got Hulu (No Ads) + Live TV with Enhanced Cloud DVR right now but it seems like I'm getting advertisements all the time that I can't fast forward through.
PlayOn looks like a possibility to get past that issue. 

Their words not mine, but Hulu char told me no ads is a waste of money.

Got vidgo for the UTEP game and decided to keep after the trial as it seemed good.

Three times this week I've tried to watch and it's been down each time. Monday, last night and tonight it was down. I've canceled it and will try something else once my month is up.

Picked up the new Chromecast with Google TV and it's pretty nice although probably very similar to Amazon or Roku offerings. All the apps I use in one interface and the remote. It's a nice upgrade to an older smart TV that doesn't have a nice UI or all the newer apps like Disney+. Will also be nice for the kids so they don't have to cast from our phones or the iPad.

I don't qualify for the YTTV offer since I'm not a new customer. They do have a Netflix offer with the Chromecast and six months of Netflix for $89.99 which isn't a bad deal so I might get a second one.

Yeah, it's a destination app/service... Makes sense for folks whose team/conference/other sport is on it. For me, all the soccer is worth it. And I see my favorite EPL team on E+ for non-league tournaments.

It's also decent for replays. Has all the old 30 for 30.

E. Carolina game and S. Florida game is on E+ now. So some secondary CFB.

Big 12 "Network" also on there. Only way to see Let Miles series! Ha. And the current OkSt behind the scenes.

It all looks like HD to me. Just tested with eaTme game on YTTV and E+... Both look good. Soccer games are definitely in HD. LHN in HD (not part of E+, but through the same E app). But I'm not a great judge. The only time I saw something that was definitely SD on ESPN+ with some random rock skipping competition from Mackinac Island that I turned on just bc I was laughing that they aired it.

I have Spectrum internet. Just got an email today that I can stream 175 channels through their app for $69.95, including LHN and HBO Max for the next 12 months.Think I may give it a shot. 

Another 20 bucks gives you 25 more channels including Showtime, Starz, and Epix. 

Edited by Deej

Why?

I have an NVIDIA Shield, and was wondering the benefits, Thanks.

Its just a skin/UI replacement. But it's nicer than stock. At the very least something new. It integrates Google TV from other devices so if you watch on phone, it will show on your tv or other (new model) Chromecasts. The Google search is better...more accurate. And it does a better job of showing you recommends from the apps you subscribe to. SHIELD tried to do the same, but not very well. It also integrates YTTV so you can see the live guide from the home screen and offers more correct assumptions of what you'd want to watch on YTTV. Has a watchlist for all the apps... Instead of needing to open that app and save to each watchlist. Bad side of that is something on UI watchlist is not added to your app watchlist.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hulu giving the finger to Sinclair too.. good for them... screw Sinclair:

Starting on October 23, 2020 Hulu will no longer have the rights to distribute certain Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) that are currently included with your Hulu + Live TV plan.

While we were unable to reach an agreement with Sinclair Broadcast Group to continue offering channels like your Fox Sports RSN, YES Network, and Marquee Network, the good news is that you will continue to have access to a wide variety of sports from other popular channels including ESPN, TNT, and TBS, as well as FS1 and FS2.

Hulu giving the finger to Sinclair too.. good for them... screw Sinclair:

Starting on October 23, 2020 Hulu will no longer have the rights to distribute certain Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) that are currently included with your Hulu + Live TV plan.

While we were unable to reach an agreement with Sinclair Broadcast Group to continue offering channels like your Fox Sports RSN, YES Network, and Marquee Network, the good news is that you will continue to have access to a wide variety of sports from other popular channels including ESPN, TNT, and TBS, as well as FS1 and FS2.

I assume they’ll work something out before the NBA and NHL start back up... because all FS RSN is good for right now is KU football

21 hours ago, DCLonghorn said:

Sinclair probably not looking to cut great deals for the providers right now:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/creditors-brace-for-possible-debt-restructuring-at-sinclair-sports-unit-11603235294

I'm hoping the bold holders go through with forcing them to see off the regional sport networks

I'm at the point where I think I am going to go back to Xfinity triple play.  The wife wants a home phone because all providers are spotty at our house and she's worried about contacting babysitters, emergencies, etc.

Comcast has no internet + phone packages.

I can get 2 yrs of triple play w/ 205 channels and 300mbps internet and phone for $130/month.  I have to see how many extra hidden fees there are.  But right now I get ATT TV Now for $65, plus my internet/HBO for $115 .  So in 2 yrs I will save quite a bit and still have the phone.  I saw that Xfinity has a streaming app, as I assume I have to pay more for TV boxes for all the TVs.  We have 2 main TVs and I could stream to a chromecast for the other minor TVs that I rarely watch live on.  And I could use the app on my phone just like I do ATT TV Now.

Am I wrong?

50 minutes ago, Horny04 said:

I'm at the point where I think I am going to go back to Xfinity triple play.  The wife wants a home phone because all providers are spotty at our house and she's worried about contacting babysitters, emergencies, etc.

I can get 2 yrs of triple play w/ 205 channels and 300mbps internet and phone for $130/month.  I have to see how many extra hidden fees there are.  But right now I get ATT TV Now for $65, plus my internet/HBO for $115 .  So in 2 yrs I will save quite a bit and still have the phone.  I saw that Xfinity has a streaming app, as I assume I have to pay more for TV boxes for all the TVs.  We have 2 main TVs and I could stream to a chromecast for the other minor TVs that I rarely watch live on.  And I could use the app on my phone just like I do ATT TV Now.

Am I wrong?

Yes, don’t pay $20/mo for home phone, if you have internet, just get Ooma https://www.amazon.com/Ooma-Telo-Service-Amazon-Devices/dp/B00I4XMEYA/ref=asc_df_B00I4XMEYA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312114598008&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6541908049943489482&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028322&hvtargid=pla-624061713047&psc=1 it costs like $5 a month with 911/local govt fees and works great.  We’ve had it for a few years now with no problems.

Yes, don’t pay $20/mo for home phone, if you have internet, just get Ooma https://www.amazon.com/Ooma-Telo-Service-Amazon-Devices/dp/B00I4XMEYA/ref=asc_df_B00I4XMEYA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312114598008&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6541908049943489482&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028322&hvtargid=pla-624061713047&psc=1 it costs like $5 a month with 911/local govt fees and works great.  We’ve had it for a few years now with no problems.
Right, I have looked into the Ooma. But if I get Xfinity with the TV, which I don't have right now, the net cost will be lower than paying a hundred bucks for internet and keeping my streaming AT&T service. And that's without phone.

4 minutes ago, Horny04 said:
24 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Read more  

Right, I have looked into the Ooma. But if I get Xfinity with the TV, which I don't have right now, the net cost will be lower than paying a hundred bucks for internet and keeping my streaming AT&T service. And that's without phone.

I have Spectrum double play and looked into triple play but nothing was a better deal than keeping my Ooma.  Once you have the good internet price shop around for the TV App (YouTube, Hulu, att, sling, spectrum) but yeah if phone make the entire price less then power to you.

1 hour ago, Horny04 said:

Am I wrong?

Just make sure you're including modem fee, set top box fees and installation fees. 

Internet should not be $100. My xfinity is $70