Jump to content
LTtxfan

2019 Transfer & Grad-Transfer Available Players

Recommended Posts

I'm a little confused.  

If a player declares transfer/redshirt after the season starts,  is the coach then obligated to not play them for the rest of the season in order to keep redshirt? 

I'm thinking Jalen Hurts.  Can he declare and Nick not be allowed to play him anymore this season? 

Edited by Laga4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The players are leaving their team. Like, not showing up for practice. So zero chance of them playing.

Hurts is still on the team. Saban could put him in if he wanted. Players still on their team don’t “declare” a redshirt during the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I understand it, suiting up doesn’t matter. It’s actual playing time, right? So someone who has appeared in 4 games, wants to transfer, and their coach tries to put them in a 5th game... the player could fake an injury the second they stepped toward the field and never “heal” before the season ended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Kelly Bryant just straight up quit.

That makes sense now.  If you stay with your team you are at the mercy of the coach or have a deal like Shane may have with Herman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

In Bryant's case, since he has graduated, could he stay in the ACC and play?

It probably depends on the ACC in conference transfer rules. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if there will be an instance when a coach tells a player to go in, and that player refuses because he’s made his mind up he’s going to transfer but hasn’t let the staff know to that point. Yeah he gets 4 games to burn without losing his redshirt option, but refuses to avoid risking injuriy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2018 at 5:44 PM, Wishbone said:

I wonder if there will be an instance when a coach tells a player to go in, and that player refuses because he’s made his mind up he’s going to transfer but hasn’t let the staff know to that point. Yeah he gets 4 games to burn without losing his redshirt option, but refuses to avoid risking injuriy.

Valid Point.... probably will happen.

Kyle Porter may be a transfer candidate..... Seems like he has been a good team guy. If it helps him get a grad degree paid for, Good For Him!!

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2018 at 7:17 AM, FloridaHorn said:

He's a redshirt, why wouldn't he get a scholarship?

Scholarships are declared at the beginning on Fall camp when the coaches have to turn in their 85 counters for the year.

If he was on scholarship in August his scholarship is good through Fall, Spring and Summer.

That’s why good non scholarship players won’t get a scholarships until the following year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Valid Point.... probably will happen.

Kyle Porter may be a transfer candidate..... Seems like he has been a good team guy. If it helps him get a grad degree paid for, Good For Him!!

What makes us think he is a good team guy? If he’s bailing the first moment his playing time diminishes, and we have no other evidence to think otherwise, I’d say he’s not a good team guy at all. I don’t begrudge him leaving, if he does. In fact, I’d be ecstatic. Still, that doesn’t require us to revise or augment history as he, or anyone else like this, walks out the door. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What makes us think he is a good team guy? If he’s bailing the first moment his playing time diminishes, and we have no other evidence to think otherwise, I’d say he’s not a good team guy at all. I don’t begrudge him leaving, if he does. In fact, I’d be ecstatic. Still, that doesn’t require us to revise or augment history as he, or anyone else like this, walks out the door. 

Ctj...... Here's why I know "Kyle is a Good Team Guy"....

1) Folks I know involved in the Texas Football Program

2) Comments from Players on the Team

3) Herman's comments at the press conference

“You don't have to read between the lines. I talked to Kyle and I wanted to make sure him and I were on the same page. Kyle is contemplating redshirting this year. And that's a decision that we support," said second-year head coach Tom Herman during his Monday press conference.

"And if Kyle eventually decides he wants to play, Kyle is more than welcome on our team. Kyle's still practicing with us every day to make sure that that opportunity is still a reality for him. And so we'll see how and when he wants to make that decision, but we support him in everything that he does. He's been nothing but a do-right guy in every facet of his life ever since we've been here. So we want to make sure we're doing right by him, too.”

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Ctj...... Here's why I know "Kyle is a Good Team Guy"....

1) Folks I know involved in the Texas Football Program

2) Comments from Players on the Team

3) Herman's comments at the press conference

“You don't have to read between the lines. I talked to Kyle and I wanted to make sure him and I were on the same page. Kyle is contemplating redshirting this year. And that's a decision that we support," said second-year head coach Tom Herman during his Monday press conference.

"And if Kyle eventually decides he wants to play, Kyle is more than welcome on our team. Kyle's still practicing with us every day to make sure that that opportunity is still a reality for him. And so we'll see how and when he wants to make that decision, but we support him in everything that he does. He's been nothing but a do-right guy in every facet of his life ever since we've been here. So we want to make sure we're doing right by him, too.”

Fair enough and fine by me then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tater Tot Martell’s adopted brother and diminutive 4 star Soph WR Tyjon Lindsey was just granted his release from Nebraska.

 

For those who don’t remember - Tyjon was definitely going to be an aggy when aggy was bulking itself as QBU and Tate was going to reclassify so that he could start over ‘Ass, my dude’.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought tOSU had all the momentum with Tyjon LIndsey for most of his recruitment? He was actually committed there for a long time before ending up with Nebraska.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Is there any fucking doubt that Kelly Bryant or Jalen Hurts will wind up at OU for 2019? If not OU, TCU? Or hell, one goes to OU and one goes to TCU. I can see it, and I don't even know if I don't like it. I think I'd like to see Hurts go anywhere else, but Bryant doesn't give me much pause. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is there any fucking doubt that Kelly Bryant or Jalen Hurts will wind up at OU for 2019? If not OU, TCU? Or hell, one goes to OU and one goes to TCU. I can see it, and I don't even know if I don't like it. I think I'd like to see Hurts go anywhere else, but Bryant doesn't give me much pause. 

TCU would be really stupid to do something like that, because they'd run the risk of having a bunch of pretty solid guys in their QB room transfer out.

OU has nothing to lose, because their QB room is hot garbage behind Murray.  They're going to ride the transfer wave for as long as they can, until Rattler can handle the reins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is there any fucking doubt that Kelly Bryant or Jalen Hurts will wind up at OU for 2019? If not OU, TCU? Or hell, one goes to OU and one goes to TCU. I can see it, and I don't even know if I don't like it. I think I'd like to see Hurts go anywhere else, but Bryant doesn't give me much pause. 

Great conversation starters CTJ.....

1) So omitting ou/tcu, where are the best places to go for QB development?

or

2) Possible destinations for Hurts, Bryant, or any other possible QB transfers.....

Maybe:

1) Penn State

2) Oregon

3) UCLA

4) BlowU

5) Okie Lite

6) Virginia Tech

7) Louisville

Florida

😎

 

 

 

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Is there any fucking doubt that Kelly Bryant or Jalen Hurts will wind up at OU for 2019? If not OU, TCU? Or hell, one goes to OU and one goes to TCU. I can see it, and I don't even know if I don't like it. I think I'd like to see Hurts go anywhere else, but Bryant doesn't give me much pause. 

Yeah, I'd rather Hurts go somewhere like UCLA and play for Kelly and not against us, but I agree on Bryant.  He isn't the least bit frightening to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI...More possible Rules changes for Transfers.......ESPN article

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24905018/ncaa-looking-more-changes-college-football-transfer-rules

The NCAA Division I Council has introduced legislation that would allow some athletes to transfer during the summer and be immediately eligible to play for a new school if there is a head coaching change before the first day of fall classes.

The NCAA announced Friday four new rules proposed by the council, which come less than two weeks before some previously passed reforms go into effect. The others would require schools to commit two years of financial aid for all graduate transfers, allow walk-ons to play immediately after transferring and prohibit athletes from competing for two different schools in the same academic year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UCLA has like 17 QB’s on scholarship including a true freshman they are using. I do not think a lack of options is the issue at UCLA. 

I read somewhere that forecasted Hurts would go wherever Lane Kiffin was coaching next year. That certainly seems plausible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2018 at 10:34 AM, closetojumping said:

Is there any fucking doubt that Kelly Bryant or Jalen Hurts will wind up at OU for 2019? If not OU, TCU? Or hell, one goes to OU and one goes to TCU. I can see it, and I don't even know if I don't like it. I think I'd like to see Hurts go anywhere else, but Bryant doesn't give me much pause. 

Hurts to OU makes a lot of sense. Norman is a driveable distance from Channelview. Excellent recent QB history. Wide open depth chart. 

If Bryant is smart he'll stay away from Auburn. I'm not sure he's all that smart, Auburn would be my pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

Hurts to OU makes a lot of sense. Norman is a driveable distance from Channelview. Excellent recent QB history. Wide open depth chart. 

If Bryant is smart he'll stay away from Auburn. I'm not sure he's all that smart, Auburn would be my pick. 

You mean the team that reportedly loathes their current mercenary QB might not take kindly to another one? I can't believe it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, texifornia said:

You mean the team that reportedly loathes their current mercenary QB might not take kindly to another one? I can't believe it.

I meant Auburn's OL play is atrocious without Hand. 

I'm not surprised at all that the team hates Stidham. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hurts at OU doesnt seem like a great fit. Sure hurts can run but his passing makes sam look like colt, Reilly seems like he wants a gun slinger at QB. Hurts actually seems like he would fit in Herman's offense better, though we have no need for him.

Edited by Not a Sock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like Riley is pretty happy having Austin Kendall, and they appear to have a near 5* kid coming next year. The fit isn't good for Hurts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Hurts actually seems like he would fit in Herman's offense better, though we have no need for him.

Things you wouldn’t hear after the Maryland loss

Edited by EZ$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2018 at 3:00 PM, cafe society said:

Yeah, I'd rather Hurts go somewhere like UCLA and play for Kelly and not against us, but I agree on Bryant.  He isn't the least bit frightening to me.

Hurts doesn’t scare me as a QB. He has greatly benefited from surrounding cast 

Edited by jdhorn92

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Great point.

Edit gremlin got me. 

 

Hurts doesn’t scare me as a QB. He has greatly benefited from surrounding cast 

Edited 36 minutes ago by jdhorn92


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

Que?

There is some speculation that Shane has a deal with Herman to redshirt so he can transfer next year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminder on Rule Changes:

New Rules:  

"College athletes will be allowed to transfer without the permission of the university or coach, and the school will be obligated to enter the athlete's name in a national transfer database within two business days.

Transfer rules for college athletes are changing. 

Once a name is in the database, any coach can contact that athlete. Previously, athletes had to receive permission from their current school to be contacted by another school before they could receive another scholarship. 

The rule change, which begins Oct. 15, applies to all Division I sports, but will mostly affect the high-revenue sports of football and men's basketball. One significant caveat is that major NCAA conferences can still implement rules that are more restrictive than the national rule."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So database should be up and running probably on Oct 15th....

Wonder if this new transfer database will be available to the Public??

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be noted - this does not eliminate the residency requirement for transfers (not graduate transfers).  Players will still have to sit out a year if they are not graduate transferring.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Should be noted - this does not eliminate the residency requirement for transfers (not graduate transfers).  Players will still have to sit out a year if they are not graduate transferring.  

Valid point...... But lots of thought that they may modify Transfer Rules further....

Examples:

1) Might start allowing 1st Time transfers to not having to sit out a yr.

(This only allowed once per individual)

OR

2) Once 2 years of eligibility have been used, a transfer player does not have to sit out a year....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other college sports allow transfers without sitting out a year...... For example Lexi Sun left Texas Volleyball after only 1 Season and is immediately eligible to play for Nebraska for 2018

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Other college sports allow transfers without sitting out a year...... For example Lexi Sun left Texas Volleyball after only 1 Season and is immediately eligible to play for Nebraska for 2018

Love-and-Other-Drugs.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Valid point...... But lots of thought that they may modify Transfer Rules further....

Examples:

1) Might start allowing 1st Time transfers to not having to sit out a yr.

(This only allowed once per individual)

OR

2) Once 2 years of eligibility have been used, a transfer player does not have to sit out a year....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other college sports allow transfers without sitting out a year...... For example Lexi Sun left Texas Volleyball after only 1 Season and is immediately eligible to play for Nebraska for 2018

Forgot to mention that conferences can still pass additional rules that restrict in-conference transfers.

Some think B12 would allow Coaches the option to block in-conference transfers, and outside chance NCAA might even allow B12 Coaches to block transfers to Teams on the schedule.

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Valid point...... But lots of thought that they may modify Transfer Rules further....

Examples:

1) Might start allowing 1st Time transfers to not having to sit out a yr.

(This only allowed once per individual)

OR

2) Once 2 years of eligibility have been used, a transfer player does not have to sit out a year....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other college sports allow transfers without sitting out a year...... For example Lexi Sun left Texas Volleyball after only 1 Season and is immediately eligible to play for Nebraska for 2018

Just for clarification: if they play 4 games or less and RS, they still have to sit out a year if they transfer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Just for clarification: if they play 4 games or less and RS, they still have to sit out a year if they transfer?

Yes.  Unless they are a grad transfer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2018 at 12:08 PM, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yes.  Unless they are a grad transfer.

No. If they play 4 or less, then that year is considered their redshirt year and they can play the next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

No. If they play 4 or less, then that year is considered their redshirt year and they can play the next year. 

 

I don't believe that's true.  There was discussion about lifting the residency requirement (the rule that says you have to sit out a year when you transfer) - but according to the articles I read they decided against it. 

The only changes made this year were:

1.   The 4 game RS rule - which allows players to play in up to 4 games in a season but still RS that year. 

2.  Players may now transfer without having to ask their coaches/schools for permission.

Here is an article that discusses the two changes above: https://www.si.com/2018/06/13/NCAA-student-athletes-new-transfer-scholarship-rule-permission-contact

 

 

Do you have a link to an article that explains the residency requirement rule change that you're talking about?

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

 

I don't believe that's true.  There was discussion about lifting the residency requirement (the rule that says you have to sit out a year when you transfer) - but according to the articles I read they decided against it. 

The only changes made this year were:

1.   The 4 game RS rule - which allows players to play in up to 4 games in a season but still RS that year. 

2.  Players may now transfer without having to ask their coaches/schools for permission.

Here is an article that discusses the two changes above: https://www.si.com/2018/06/13/NCAA-student-athletes-new-transfer-scholarship-rule-permission-contact

 

 

Do you have a link to an article that explains the residency requirement rule change that you're talking about?

Thank you for the clarification, wont be the last time I'm wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2018 at 10:32 AM, LTtxfan said:

Reminder on Rule Changes:

New Rules:  

"College athletes will be allowed to transfer without the permission of the university or coach, and the school will be obligated to enter the athlete's name in a national transfer database within two business days.

Transfer rules for college athletes are changing. 

Once a name is in the database, any coach can contact that athlete. Previously, athletes had to receive permission from their current school to be contacted by another school before they could receive another scholarship. 

The rule change, which begins Oct. 15, applies to all Division I sports, but will mostly affect the high-revenue sports of football and men's basketball. One significant caveat is that major NCAA conferences can still implement rules that are more restrictive than the national rule."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So database should be up and running probably on Oct 15th....

Wonder if this new transfer database will be available to the Public??

Anybody have news on the Transfer Database yet?

FYI..... New rule change went into effect yesterday, Oct 15th......

(New Transfer Rule info listed above.)

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...