Patricio Swayze

The all encompassing mid century modern appreciation thread

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yes, the arts and crafts thing jumped the shark a couple years back, but there was a strong contingent that really was nice, before they started putting battered columns on 2 story boxes, and calling them Arts & Craft.  I think there has a been a nice new traditionalism movement though. I'm seeing it with some of the smaller, and mixed use developments in our region.

I think the development of cement siding materials in sheet form, and a little bit of an industrial twist with corten, and corrugated materials is making the new modern stuff very warm, and more inviting with nice textures and colors. Kind of a very loose Mondrian pattern look in many cases with glass, and material juxtaposition.

Absolutely.  When the kids are out of the house and we move to our acreage in the boonies, I'm going to have my best friend/architect design a glass box for me, that will also have a lot of the corrugated metals with patina, vertical wooden elements, and cement siding.  It won't look particularly MCM, but the interior furnishings will definitely trend that way.  Might even do a sunken living room, I've always thought those were pretty groovy.

My son bought this Lakeway house in 1993 for $85,000. It was built two years after the village was started in 1962. Son sold it in 1995 for $145,000, IIRC. He put a lot of work in fixing it up. The brick was originally white, the trim brown. The split level plan was a PITA.

037C4B09-3FA7-448B-B41D-E876EA83A8BE.jpeg

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Absolutely.  When the kids are out of the house and we move to our acreage in the boonies, I'm going to have my best friend/architect design a glass box for me, that will also have a lot of the corrugated metals with patina, vertical wooden elements, and cement siding.  It won't look particularly MCM, but the interior furnishings will definitely trend that way.  Might even do a sunken living room, I've always thought those were pretty groovy.

Love level changes in a house. We have a sunken living room. It's a favorite feature of mine. Getting clients to buy into them is not easy.  I'm getting ready to start designing the empty nest house now 2,000 sq. ft of modern goodness.

Well, for your forever retirement house, be sure it is wheelchair accessible (entryways & all interior doors, also a ramp cut in the garage  “curb”).

Plus, take pictures of the wall stud framing in your bathrooms so if you decide to add safety rails in the shower/tub you’ll have no anchoring problems.

Just now, Armybrat said:

Well, for your forever retirement house, be sure it is wheelchair accessible (entryways & all interior doors, also a ramp cut in the garage  “curb”).

Plus, take pictures of the wall stud framing in your bathrooms so if you decide to add safety rails in the shower/tub you’ll have no anchoring problems.

All good points my man.  I design a lot of homes with in law suites or homes that are the last house thing. I always call for blocking in the walls for handrails in baths, zero entry showers, and look at how a ramp may need to be added at some point along with 3'-0" first floor doors everywhere.

Having said that my wifes' 96 year old grand ma was able to negotiate the small level changes in our home with no issues. We were always there when she was going between levels though at a certain point though.

On 9/1/2020 at 6:28 PM, utee94 said:

Agree for the most part, but it seems like a lot of the "new" arts&crafts style is so... fake, or plastic, or over-produced, or something.  It's like they're capturing the forms, but not the materials and the craftsmanship.

While I think new modernism is actually going the other direction, utilizing more of the traditional modern materials and less of the fake-modern too-futuristic plasticky crap that came on in the 70s.

On 9/1/2020 at 6:35 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yes, the arts and crafts thing jumped the shark a couple years back, but there was a strong contingent that really was nice, before they started putting battered columns on 2 story boxes, and calling them Arts & Craft.  I think there has a been a nice new traditionalism movement though. I'm seeing it with some of the smaller, and mixed use developments in our region.

I think the development of cement siding materials in sheet form, and a little bit of an industrial twist with corten, and corrugated materials is making the new modern stuff very warm, and more inviting with nice textures and colors. Kind of a very loose Mondrian pattern look in many cases with glass, and material juxtaposition.

I see a lot of craftsman style columns on the fronts of houses these days, but one thing that really just doesn't seem to work is that these new houses are all built on slab. When the porch is level with the ground it just doesn't give the same look as you get with the old craftsman style houses on pier and beam where the floor level is two or three feet above grade.

They could hide a lot of that with a proper wrap around porch that’s not on slab but extends past it. And then have the entry with wood/deck steps up to the porch and the door under the overhang with the slab only for the interior part of the house. Not my style but there’s still something magical about a big ass covered front porch like that.