Game 9: Texas vs. Purdue, 5 PM, ESPN2

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

The bottom line of this game is that when we shoot 44% from deep we can compete with a team of Purdue's ilk. Barring a starting lineup overhaul which results in uplifting the games of both our players and team, this does not bode well going into league play. Happy with the way we've played since I've been watching, but we cannot count in this shooting every night.

Purdue has a deep history, but they are unranked this year.

7 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

The bottom line of this game is that when we shoot 44% from deep we can compete with a team of Purdue's ilk. Barring a starting lineup overhaul which results in uplifting the games of both our players and team, this does not bode well going into league play. Happy with the way we've played since I've been watching, but we cannot count in this shooting every night.

I agree with this, but we also won't be playing against Carsen Edwards every game. This was a step forward.

3 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Purdue has a deep history, but they are unranked this year.

Yeah they lost everyone except Edwards from last year's team and they already have four losses. They rely heavily on the three ball and Edwards, if either one of those facets isn't clicking they struggle. It's a fine win, but not a great one. 

14 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Derka - I know you're probably a few drinks deep, as am I - but "Purdue's ilk"? Seriously?

There are 6 teams in the b12 objectively better than Purdue. That's when the real season will start for this squad.

• Like 1

why does everyone keep acting like i said anything about purdue being great? what about the phrase "purdue's ilk" implies that Purdue is great? Purdue is not a very good team. I've posted this several times throughout the offseason. We were favored to win this game according to both BPI and KenPom. What I was saying is exactly what it sounded like- we have to shoot 44% from deep to beat a pretty average team that's too reliant on hitting threes and being carried by one star player. That's because we are not good, something I've maintained for quite some time now. Texas is Purdue's ilk. 

edit- hence the rest of my post- "this does not bode well going forward". If we need to hit threes to beat a middling team like Purdue then Big XII play is going to suck, batting Shaka realizing which of his players are actually good, something he struggles with.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

why does everyone keep acting like i said anything about purdue being great? what about the phrase "purdue's ilk" implies that Purdue is great? Purdue is not a very good team. I've posted this several times throughout the offseason. We were favored to win this game according to both BPI and KenPom. What I was saying is exactly what it sounded like- we have to shoot 44% from deep to beat a pretty average team that's too reliant on hitting threes and being carried by one star player. That's because we are not good, something I've maintained for quite some time now. Texas is Purdue's ilk. 

edit- hence the rest of my post- "this does not bode well going forward". If we need to hit threes to beat a middling team like Purdue then Big XII play is going to suck, batting Shaka realizing which of his players are actually good, something he struggles with.

Mi amigo - relajate. Me gustan tus opiniones la mayor del tiempo. 

Your phrasing was off. I'm not some old head trying to prove you wrong. I'm not out to get you man.

1 hour ago, Nolacycling said:

Apologies, just invested in Cowboys and Horns now. There's only 1 Duke and Kentucky and North Carolina and Kansas, but the constant is having  a coach. Having a coach who can evaluate talent to fill needs.Having a coach who understands a teams strengths and weaknesses. 

Now?

I wasn’t saying I agree or disagree with you. It just made me cringe that all you wrote was “disagree” rather than why you disagree and stating your argument. But you did now so, cool. 

Have to say kudos to the coaching staff for trying something different with the dribble hand offs on the perimeter.  Not sure how effective it was, but it did make Purdue move on defense.  I wish the all of the guards played as hard as Ramey does.  He created a extra ball possession by working hard and creating a turnover.  Too many times Texas just ball watches and the other team gets what should be a 50/50 ball.  I see DO and Febres do it repeatedly.  Hepa needs to give a class on how to feed the post as he is the only one who does it adequately.  Coleman and Roach played better this game, but why did it take so long to double team Edwards.  That's a coaching faux-pas.     

Don't care about starters, but do like seeing finishers when it's Hepa with 23 and DO 17; and Hayes with 26 and Sims with 14. 

Good win.  Radford and VCU have given the blueprint in defending Texas.  We complain about all the three point shots, but any decent coach is going to pack the lane and make Texas beat them from outside.  I think Texas needs to press and run.  Their half court offense is not good enough and no consistent outside shooting it's too easy to defend.  Press and run and play 11 players.  Add in Hamm and Liddell to the regular nine playing and go. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Texas has some bad losses and some good wins.  UNC and Purdue are good wins and Radford and VCU are wtf losses. Not brilliant on my part but when dealing with a young team, there's bound to be a few of these.  

This team isn't young, we don't start a single Freshman. 2 seniors and 3 Sophomores isn't young in college basketball. The bench is young but that is to be expected

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’ve missed the last three games and now don’t know if I should be enraged, apathetic, disappointed or slightly encouraged.

if shaka would play his best players this team would be so much better. soooo much better. Sims is awful. you don't need to be a seasoned nba scout to see how lost he is on the floor. tat he starts over sims remains to be criminal. both ramey and long have so much more upside than febres who is still a one dimensional player. and hepa is going to be a very vey good college player, and is much more of a natural hooper than DO who will never play another meaningful game in his life when this season ends. and again, all of this is obvious, and it smacks of mack brown at his worst. the guys who got here first start ahead if younger players who are *clearly* superior. there's absolutely no excuse for the current starter/minutes situation. 

4 minutes ago, dogbreath said:

Have to say kudos to the coaching staff for trying something different with the dribble hand offs on the perimeter.  Not sure how effective it was, but it did make Purdue move on defense.  I wish the all of the guards played as hard as Ramey does.  He created a extra ball possession by working hard and creating a turnover.  Too many times Texas just ball watches and the other team gets what should be a 50/50 ball.  I see DO and Febres do it repeatedly.  Hepa needs to give a class on how to feed the post as he is the only one who does it adequately.  Coleman and Roach played better this game, but why did it take so long to double team Edwards.  That's a coaching faux-pas.     

Don't care about starters, but do like seeing finishers when it's Hepa with 23 and DO 17; and Hayes with 26 and Sims with 14. 

Good win.  Radford and VCU have given the blueprint in defending Texas.  We complain about all the three point shots, but any decent coach is going to pack the lane and make Texas beat them from outside.  I think Texas needs to press and run.  Their half court offense is not good enough and no consistent outside shooting it's too easy to defend.  Press and run and play 11 players.  Add in Hamm and Liddell to the regular nine playing and go. 

Good post.  I felt like Purdue did not go to school on our season and did not do enough to dictate tempo.  I do think it helped that Shaka finally figured out that DO is not a crunch time player.  I still don’t understand why he took Roach off Edwards on that one play near the end where he hit the three from the top of the key over Coleman.  He was smart enough to double him on the last possession though.  

3/5 of our starters have multiple glaring weaknesses, and generally lack any sort of feel for the game. meanwhile when the lineup is five of coleman, roach, long, hepa, sims, ramey the ball moves quickly and decisively, we hit way more of our open threes, and jackson hayes is getting a dunk/block/oop every minute or so. 

as fucked up as this sounds this has me torn- I want shaka gone, like yesterday, and the longer this idiot refuses to change his lineup the more likely we are to lose, making it more likely that we fire this clown; it's *almost* worth going through this season like this knowing it means he will be fired, but the fan in me can't help but wish this idiot would start playing his best players more/from the opening tip so that we could enjoy a somewhat palatable brand of basketball. 

and yeah, it's no surprise that we won tonight with DO and Sims riding more pine. removing them from the starting lineup is the next step. we can't have such crap players in the floor to start games during league play. every night is a battle. 

Edited by Goo Punch

25 minutes ago, chase25 said:

This team isn't young, we don't start a single Freshman. 2 seniors and 3 Sophomores isn't young in college basketball. The bench is young but that is to be expected

exactly.  this excuse is tired and really doesn't apply much to basketball unless you are starting 2-3 freshmen.

51 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’ve missed the last three games and now don’t know if I should be enraged, apathetic, disappointed or slightly encouraged.

depends on how you want to end up.  its best to be apathetic in my view because we aren't going to shoot 40+% from 3 every night in conf.  most of the time we will shoot 30% which means a lot of losses to avg to good teams in conf.  we shot 44% and won by 4 against a very avg big 10 team.

good for the team tonight.  they will have to have players overcome their coaching on a nightly basis to make the tourney.  apathy will leave me pleasantly surprised if we make the tournament.

I'm past enraged because it does no good when you understand that we are mired in one and done-ville until CDC decides he's had enough.

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Agree or disagree, it's the problem we

The kid that is lighting us up is a kid that nobody wanted. Now that he is a polished upperclassman you are seeing the difference. Meanwhile, our guys are bolting for the league.

He averaged double digits as a freshman off the bench so he's been good from the start at Purdue. From day 1 as a freshman I've asked recruiting "gurus"  why he wasn't rated higher and how he compared to Jacob Young (who was in the same class) . I don't know how he wasn't a bigger recruit coming out of high school, maybe due to size, but if or when Shaka gets fired mis-evaluating this guy will be right there with all the other reasons for his firing (in fairness to Shaka, Edwards committed to Purdue about 2 and half months after Shaka got the job and I'm sure Shaka was more concerned with both Andrew Jones and D'Aaron Fox during those first few months)

4 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He averaged double digits as a freshman off the bench so he's been good from the start at Purdue. From day 1 as a freshman I've asked recruiting "gurus"  why he wasn't rated higher and how he compared to Jacob Young (who was in the same class) . I don't know how he wasn't a bigger recruit coming out of high school, maybe due to size, but if or when Shaka gets fired mis-evaluating this guy will be right there with all the other reasons for his firing (in fairness to Shaka, Edwards committed to Purdue about 2 and half months after Shaka got the job and I'm sure Shaka was more concerned with both Andrew Jones and D'Aaron Fox during those first few months)

This kid is waayyy better than he was as a freshman. That can't even be argued. The point is Texas' talent is leaving before they get to that point, and it's been going on way before Shaka. If that weren't true, we could've had Gibson, Tucker, LA, KD, and DJ all on one team. We have the same problem Kentucky is having but on a smaller scale.

12 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

While I agree that losing players prematurely has been a problem in the past we haven't had a non-surefire guy leave for the league early since Isaiah Taylor. Roach and Jones both came back. 

That's the thing. The surefire dudes should've stayed and polished their skills. What are any of them actually good at? Durant is the only one who should've left when he did.

Kentucky- One NBA title and 31 NBA players.

Bam Adebayo – Miami Heat
Eric Bledsoe – Milwaukee Bucks
Devin Booker – Phoenix Suns
Isaiah Briscoe – Orlando Magic
Willie Cauley-Stein – Sacramento Kings
DeMarcus Cousins – Golden State Warriors
Anthony Davis – New Orleans Pelicans
Hamidou Diallo – Oklahoma City Thunder
De'Aaron Fox – Sacramento Kings
Wenyen Gabriel- Sacramento Kings
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander – Los Angeles Clippers
Andrew Harrison – Memphis Grizzlies
Enes Kanter – New York Knicks
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist – Charlotte Hornets
Brandon Knight – Houston Rockets
Kevin Knox – New York Knicks
Skal Labissiere – Sacramento Kings
Trey Lyles – Denver Nuggets
Jodie Meeks – Milwaukee Bucks
Darius Miller – New Orleans Pelicans
Malik Monk – Charlotte Hornets
Jamal Murray – Denver Nuggets
Nerlens Noel – Oklahoma City Thunder
Patrick Patterson – Oklahoma City Thunder
Alex Poythress – Atlanta Hawks
Julius Randle – New Orleans Pelicans
Rajon Rondo – Los Angeles Lakers
Karl-Anthony Towns – Minnesota Timberwolves
Tyler Ulis – Chicago Bulls
Jarred Vanderbilt – Denver Nuggets
John Wall – Washington Wizards

14 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

3/5 of our starters have multiple glaring weaknesses, and generally lack any sort of feel for the game. meanwhile when the lineup is five of coleman, roach, long, hepa, sims, ramey the ball moves quickly and decisively, we hit way more of our open threes, and jackson hayes is getting a dunk/block/oop every minute or so. 

as fucked up as this sounds this has me torn- I want shaka gone, like yesterday, and the longer this idiot refuses to change his lineup the more likely we are to lose, making it more likely that we fire this clown; it's *almost* worth going through this season like this knowing it means he will be fired, but the fan in me can't help but wish this idiot would start playing his best players more/from the opening tip so that we could enjoy a somewhat palatable brand of basketball. 

and yeah, it's no surprise that we won tonight with DO and Sims riding more pine. removing them from the starting lineup is the next step. we can't have such crap players in the floor to start games during league play. every night is a battle. 

Not sure you care so much about who starts, when Hayes is playing twice the minutes of Sims and Hepa is playing more than O?  Maybe those two are comfortable coming off the bench?  As long as they get more time, and are on the floor when it counts, I'm fine with that.  I also wouldn't be surprised if the lineup changes in the near future.

It was kind of sickening to hear the announcers pumping up the should be drafted this year hype for Hayes.  I am really hoping he'll be here at least 3 years and dominate, but I don't blame him jumping if the $ is on the table.

Is Hamm still dinged up a bit?... or, has the decision been made he doesn't deserve as look in live action and needs to transfer or red-shirt?

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

That's the thing. The surefire dudes should've stayed and polished their skills. What are any of them actually good at? Durant is the only one who should've left when he did.

God you're an idiot. This is why I have you on ignore. 

Both of these dudes are crushing it. http://bkref.com/tiny/Fd8hd

Edited by ztejas

44 minutes ago, ztejas said:

God you're an idiot. This is why I have you on ignore. 

Both of these dudes are crushing it. http://bkref.com/tiny/Fd8hd

11 and 12 a game is crushing it? Good to know where your ceiling is. Myles is a guy who can shoot at 6'11. If he was more consistent and a more polished ball handler he could be so much more. As such Myles Turner is a guy who flashes ability here and there but looks pretty lost(offensively), and lacks physicality. You can look right on the same court and see Sabonis, who lacks the offensive skills Tuner does, but understands how to be physical and how to use his body to get to spots on the floor. If Turner learned that he would be unstoppable when you combined that with his shooting ability.

9 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

11 and 12 a game is crushing it? Good to know where your ceiling is. Myles is a guy who can shoot at 6'11. If he was more consistent and a more polished ball handler he could be so much more. As such Myles Turner is a guy who flashes ability here and there but looks pretty lost(offensively), and lacks physicality. You can look right on the same court and see Sabonis, who lacks the offensive skills Tuner does, but understands how to be physical and how to use his body to get to spots on the floor. If Turner learned that he would be unstoppable when you combined that with his shooting ability.

You're assuming that Myles would have acquired those skills at Texas and not under NBA coaching.