2020 Senate Elections

Patrick Bateman

10 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

A party gets desperate as its power starts to wane.

Just watch as Texas starts really trending purple.

The thing is that the demographics are shifting so fast the Republicans won't have time to implement desperate strategies.

Cornyn's strategists already expect 10 to 11 million people to vote in Texas. That is 2 to 3 million new voters with only around 200000 max from rural counties. There should be enough new voters in Harris county alone to almost make up Beto's deficit of 220000. Democrats are expecting a turnout over 11 million so there could be 3.5 million new voters from primarily urban and suburban counties.

15 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

North Carolina republicans are the nastiest republicans in the country. Actually no, Wisconsin republicans are the worst. Their maps are drawn to where win almost all of the seats with less than %50 of the votes.

NC is a close second tho. NC is a very competitive state when you view it at face value. Presidential races always come within 3-4 points, but NC republicans cheat like no other. The state is about even from a partisan stand point, probably 55% repub and 45% dem, but the repubs cheat so hardcore in North Carolina. Look at their legislative maps. They had to do a redo of the NC-9 election.

i don’t trust those fuckers at all

Well a Democratic governor and a Democratic appointee overseeing the Board of Elections and a 6-1 advantage on the NC Supreme Court helps a lot.  

NC-9 does not get a do-over if McCrory is still governor.  Guarantee that. 

2 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Speaking of 2020 candidates, has that fighter pilot that ran for the House in 18 from eastern Kentucky (can't remember her name offhand) officially thrown in vs. Cocaine Mitch?

Not officially, no.  I don't think anyone will officially declare until after the KY Governor election in November. 

2 hours ago, GopherRock said:

Speaking of 2020 candidates, has that fighter pilot that ran for the House in 18 from eastern Kentucky (can't remember her name offhand) officially thrown in vs. Cocaine Mitch?

I think running McGrath against McConnell would be wasting her. I don’t think she’ll win and 2 political losses is hard for any candidate to overcome. That’s why experts think Abrams was reluctant to run for senate in Georgia this cycle. She might be waiting a few more years for better demographics in the state to take another shot at kemp. I hope so.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Well a Democratic governor and a Democratic appointee overseeing the Board of Elections and a 6-1 advantage on the NC Supreme Court helps a lot.  

NC-9 does not get a do-over if McCrory is still governor.  Guarantee that. 

You make a good point, but I seem to recall that the North Carolina legislature has succeeded in neutering the governor position ( shortly before dem took office). The NC Supreme Court has been over ruled by the US Supreme Court several times. 

I don’t think anything is going to change in that state until the maps are more competitive. The maps are what really matter and we haven’t been able to get a fair shake on those in NC.

4 hours ago, RayDog said:

The thing is that the demographics are shifting so fast the Republicans won't have time to implement desperate strategies.

Cornyn's strategists already expect 10 to 11 million people to vote in Texas. That is 2 to 3 million new voters with only around 200000 max from rural counties. There should be enough new voters in Harris county alone to almost make up Beto's deficit of 220000. Democrats are expecting a turnout over 11 million so there could be 3.5 million new voters from primarily urban and suburban counties.

Stop doing this

21 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Said it before, but the North Carolina Supreme Court is now 6-1 in favor of Dems. It might take some time, but they are going to fix the gerrymandering bullshit, and when they do, people will be surprised at how blue the Tarheel State really is.

Would you say that it is more of a Carolina blue or a royal blue?

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

These guys are ready to negotiate with us on important legislation regarding healthcare and climate change!

They will be when the Master Centrist from Scranton is president!! 

Collins' opponent, Gideon, raised $1 million in A WEEK. 

Collins raised $1.5 million all 1Q (2Q TBD).  Don't forget the eventual D nominee has a big ole money bomb from Act Blue waiting for them. 

The amount spent on elections in this country is out of fucking control.

It most certainly is but I do like the current trend - at least amongst Democrats - to build their war chests with money from actual people and individual donors rather than big money from the 1% and corporations.

And they’re still raising more money. Everyone can tout Trump’s Q2 $54 million or whatever but the money going to Democrats running for president is still being split 25 ways.

Add their numbers up and they’re out-raising him - by a lot.

Mayor Pete got half of that alone.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

something about this guy says he's going to have trouble winning in SC.

I like his chances especially if there is an African American at the top of the ticket. SC was 28.48% AA in 2010 so it is probably near 30% now with another 3 to 5% of other non-whites. 

If Democrats can get over 50% of white women voters and 35% of white men, with AAs turning out in a similar percentage as whites, then he could win and SC could vote for a Democratic president.

Lots of ifs I know but this far out the calculation is there. 

On 7/2/2019 at 6:18 PM, Bama Chick said:

It most certainly is but I do like the current trend - at least amongst Democrats - to build their war chests with money from actual people and individual donors rather than big money from the 1% and corporations.

And they’re still raising more money. Everyone can tout Trump’s Q2 $54 million or whatever but the money going to Democrats running for president is still being split 25 ways.

Add their numbers up and they’re out-raising him - by a lot.

Mayor Pete got half of that alone.

I wonder how effective that shitty WIN - Red program will be.

donald trump is a fucking douche for trying to copy act blue. I hope it’s not nearly as effective as what we got.

1 hour ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Mildred from needville will be donating $5 a month as soon as she gets her grandkids to set up her America online with her credit card info.

I wonder how much they will Receive from “Jimmy” from Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi whose White, lives in a trailer, hates minorities / women, and works at Walmart 30 hours a week.

Edited by Voldemort86

Someone named Chris Kobach filed to run.  Typo or different person? 

Please run.  Kobach and McSally were 2 of the biggest losers in 2018.  Good luck shedding that label. 

She's being written off already.  Stupidly, I may add. 

They say if she didn't win in 2018 in in a R+9 district (lost by 3.2, so she did almost 6 points better than a generic Democrat), no way she going to beat McConnell.  Everyone is touting how Mitch did in 2014 (he beat a good candidate by 15 points in a wave year for Republicans), BUT he only beat his opponent by 6 in 2008 (presidential election year).  

McGrath's value is not in her winning (she won't).  To some degree, she neutralizes McConnell as a fundraising chess piece.  The more money/trail time he has to spend on his own campaign, the less he can do to defend his majority.   The best thing is her base is small donors.  She basically has a limitless supply of money.  He's so hideously unpopular that only big money will donate to him.  He can raise alot, but he'll also bump up against donation limits.

It's the fight, not the victory in this case.

Edited by Bateshorn