Mac8111

2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

4 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Here’s what’s left of my co-workers cabin on the land cut.  Not much.  It tore most of those up.

spacer.png

Damnit that is terrible.  I wonder if my buddies made it.  ugh.

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Damnit that is terrible.  I wonder if my buddies made it.  ugh.

Well this one was pretty shabby, I’ve seen that the better constructed ones were still standing, roof and window damage. 

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Well this one was pretty shabby, I’ve seen that the better constructed ones were still standing, roof and window damage. 

Just asked.  It did not make it.  Entire thing except roof under, and one of the lights on the pier.  Really sucks.

eta: just said they've been quoted 130k for cleanup and full rebuild, and working with state now. Thinks they can be up and running again in about 2 months.

Edited by fattyflattie

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Just asked.  It did not make it.  Entire thing except roof under, and one of the lights on the pier.  Really sucks.

Yeah rebuilding those would be a pain, having to haul all the materials in.  

Anyone familiar with fishing chocolate bayou? Went there with a friend and caught a few keeper flounder and reds. We elected to release them as we saw there was a lot of runoff coming from that petrochemical plant right there. 

I was a bit surprised at how strong the smell was and the water was quite stained where it was dumping in. Is this normal there?

4 hours ago, TexasCPA said:

Anyone familiar with fishing chocolate bayou? Went there with a friend and caught a few keeper flounder and reds. We elected to release them as we saw there was a lot of runoff coming from that petrochemical plant right there. 

I was a bit surprised at how strong the smell was and the water was quite stained where it was dumping in. Is this normal there?

i wouldn't eat anything from chocolate bayou 

I’m fairly lazy when it comes to taking pictures and video when I’m fishing, but a buddy of mine put these together from a few trips with me. I’ve probably posted one or both of these before. I think I’m trying to make myself get depressed.

Sigh. We are in prime time marlin season in Costa Rica and they still won’t let us in the country. So fucking sick of this shit.

79D11451-9E36-4ED3-B06E-516D78062406.thumb.jpeg.6f9263fa5e23e72ca3cef977a5fe7b2f.jpeg

D24D05C6-4992-4C56-AD53-C9A9E5FBBDA6.thumb.jpeg.d7e6dd1638710f8b3d9100e7ce30fdad.jpeg

I want to go marlin fishing with you. I’m serious. If fishing with a queer chick doesn’t work for you I have some cool as fuck guys I can bring with. Happy to pay for all of it. 45 and tired of not having a marlin story to tell.

5 hours ago, justhookit said:

Sigh. We are in prime time marlin season in Costa Rica and they still won’t let us in the country. So fucking sick of this shit.

79D11451-9E36-4ED3-B06E-516D78062406.jpeg

D24D05C6-4992-4C56-AD53-C9A9E5FBBDA6.jpeg

Buddy of mine is thinking of moving his boat to the states because he can’t get down there. 

I feel like Just Hook It is sitting in his bedroom with just one candle lit listening to Chicago’s greatest hits and looking at old pictures of Marlin while drinking cheap whiskey and coke while a tear builds in the corner of his eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, justhookit said:

I’m fairly lazy when it comes to taking pictures and video when I’m fishing, but a buddy of mine put these together from a few trips with me. I’ve probably posted one or both of these before. I think I’m trying to make myself get depressed.

Repeats or not, I'm always happy to watch your fishing vids.

6 hours ago, troph said:

tired of not having a marlin story to tell.

Just quote more Hemingway.

15 hours ago, troph said:

I want to go marlin fishing with you. I’m serious. If fishing with a queer chick doesn’t work for you I have some cool as fuck guys I can bring with. Happy to pay for all of it. 45 and tired of not having a marlin story to tell.

He let your brother and me on his boat, I’m pretty sure you’d be much less risk and probably easier on the toilets.  

Rode the Pathfinder all over Apalachicola Bay Sunday and caught about 15 trippletail. Only two keepers though. This was the biggest one. My partner boogered up the hook set on a third keeper. Still learning the trippletail game. 8dbe51bc4c7f4ff651ac42d98dcdc3ac.jpg

On 8/1/2020 at 5:36 PM, troph said:

Anytime. Of course who knows when they are going to let us go again. I’m holding out hope for January and the marlin fishing can be pretty good then. Otherwise it’s mostly sailfish all spring and then the marlin get good again June to August.

On 8/1/2020 at 7:22 PM, Dry Elbows said:

Buddy of mine is thinking of moving his boat to the states because he can’t get down there. 

Yeah, I can understand that. I’d be much more likely to sell the boat than do that though.

On 8/2/2020 at 8:56 AM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

He let your brother and me on his boat, I’m pretty sure you’d be much less risk and probably easier on the toilets.  

Wait, who was troph’s brother?

11 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Anytime. Of course who knows when they are going to let us go again. I’m holding out hope for January and the marlin fishing can be pretty good then. Otherwise it’s mostly sailfish all spring and then the marlin get good again June to August.

Yeah, I can understand that. I’d be much more likely to sell the boat than do that though.

Wait, who was troph’s brother?

The really tall guy with the beard.  Used to post here as Doc Holliday.

Yeah ok that’s who I figured. Seems like I talked to him a few times after that about going fishing in CR. That trip with y’all seems like it was a lifetime ago. Freaking Petey was our mate.

8 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yeah ok that’s who I figured. Seems like I talked to him a few times after that about going fishing in CR. That trip with y’all seems like it was a lifetime ago. Freaking Petey was our mate.

Well it was 8 years ago, so yeah it seems like forever.

okay, covid notwithstanding put me down for a prime trip as soon as we can (I wouldn't travel now if they let us).  I have at least one guy (client/friend) I'd love to bring.  His wife is easy on the eyes. my girlfriend would be game for a gentle cruise offshore but when I tell her it's overnight she'll bow out - she’s sporty enough but doesn’t sleep on boats well.  she'd be happy to hang out on shore when we get back.  I'm not a huge fan of more on a boat like that, I prefer less but me and a guy would be weird so I could round up another.  not sure what your protocol is but I'm not fucking around - this covid shit has our scheduled trips and experiences all backed up and the frustration is real.  I want a marlin.  then I can tell my story about catching one instead of the two that got away.

3 hours ago, justhookit said:

What does a trip run, and how many people is ideal?  I’m guessing it’s a 2 or 3 day endeavor??

Anyone hitting the surf or heading offshore this week? Neighbor got them in the surf this AM. Partner and another boat is heading offshore Wednesday, as long as this Wx holds.  Snapper just wrapped up but I guess they want to jack with some big kings, I dunno. 

Anyone hitting the surf or heading offshore this week? Neighbor got them in the surf this AM. Partner and another boat is heading offshore Wednesday, as long as this Wx holds.  Snapper just wrapped up but I guess they want to jack with some big kings, I dunno. 

Planning on hitting the surf at least a couple of times this week. Water really cleaned up today.

8 hours ago, troph said:
12 hours ago, justhookit said:

okay, covid notwithstanding put me down for a prime trip as soon as we can (I wouldn't travel now if they let us).  I have at least one guy (client/friend) I'd love to bring.  His wife is easy on the eyes. my girlfriend would be game for a gentle cruise offshore but when I tell her it's overnight she'll bow out - she’s sporty enough but doesn’t sleep on boats well.  she'd be happy to hang out on shore when we get back.  I'm not a huge fan of more on a boat like that, I prefer less but me and a guy would be weird so I could round up another.  not sure what your protocol is but I'm not fucking around - this covid shit has our scheduled trips and experiences all backed up and the frustration is real.  I want a marlin.  then I can tell my story about catching one instead of the two that got away.

We will work it out. Your brother D was a pleasure to have on the boat. Shockingly, all the shaggy peeps were too. We didn’t catch shit but we had fun. To this day, that’s only 1 of the 2 billfish trips where we got skunked. I blame TapKungFu. He followed it up by coming down another time and catching a personal grand slam (blue/white/sail). I think we had a double slam that day but can’t remember, might have been one fish short.

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

What does a trip run, and how many people is ideal?  I’m guessing it’s a 2 or 3 day endeavor??

This is a fun thing not a charter. We split fuel, food, bait, etc. I honestly haven’t done it for anyone here in the 4 years I’ve been in CR, but I’ve offered it to shaggy/surly peeps. For a marlin trip in summer it’s 3-4 days, 2-3 days of fishing and the rest is travel from dock to fishing grounds. Sometimes we only have to go 80-100 miles out, othertimes a lot further and then if the fishing isn’t good we will move. I’ve moved almost 80 miles in a night but we are at idle so not burning a bunch of fuel.  I have fuel bladders on the boat but we don’t use them for this kind of trip. Boat has 875 gallons of fuel. Average trip is probably 650 to 700 gallons @ 4ish bucks.  I’ve got a captain and 2 mates so we generally try to limit it to 4 or 5 other people. Queen bed, bunk room, couches and people on wheel watch. 3 to 4 is perfect but we’ve done up to 7 on a single overnight. I don’t have a water maker on the boat so fresh water runs out quickly if you do that many people. I’m plumbed for it so maybe I’ll start a gofundme 😂

sailfish in the spring is day trips 20-40 miles out. When the fishing is good we will spend the night offshore and can fish 2-3 days on 350-400 gallons.

Never mind.  Tap didn’t get a personal grand slam I don’t think. If the pictures match up, he brought a friend and I had a friend on the boat. Looks like we caught 2 blues 2 whites and 1 sail. So the easiest fish to catch to make the double slam, we didn’t do. Somebody should have made us stay out longer. And we got home while it was still daylight. On the other hand we caught a bunch of fish that year so I may be going off the wrong trip.

A1B0C03D-B3C6-4C9D-B41B-2EFCC56D5168.jpeg

For reference, here’s what @Judge Roybeanbag caught. Notice the lack of flags. By the way I somehow don’t have pics of that trip. Not for lack of trying to catch one though, we did not raise a billfish on the trip.

434B99F4-9151-4358-80CD-B2ADF1999495.jpeg

The worst thing is we wanted y’all to catch billfish more than any other group we had out that year. And then we failed. The only other worse trip - not lying - over the last 8 years was telling my dad we were going out snapper fishing (I.e. 30ish miles). On the way out it was calm so captain and I made the executive decision to head way out. we ran out 80 miles and billfished for like 5 hours. We didn’t even see a flying fish. Dad woke up and was wondering why we weren’t catching anything. Then went back to sleep. I’m pretty sure I still haven’t explained to him what happened on that trip, and he still thinks we only went 30 miles out.  That was the other skunk.

we fished tournaments here where we caught a bunch one day but then nothing the next on the half day of fishing. I don’t count that.

in CR the worst was taking my mom who gets seasick. you always catch billfish there but it took us much longer, until about 9 in the morning to finally hook up. Brought her out out of salon while she was holding barf bag. She was a trooper and reeled it in never letting go of her bag. Back at the dock by about 10.

mission accomplished 

Edited by justhookit

@troph my goal is a sail.  I’ve been on two short trips in the gulf in last 3 years where one came in our wash.  I spotted it the first year (was freelining a piggy behind a shrimp boat for a ling) and it nosed right up to it.  I made a mistake and popped it just a tad, subconsciously looking for a reaction strike I guess, and it jetted.  All onboard that day still bring it up and shame me when possible.  The next year we saw another but can’t remember the circumstance as well. I know we reeled up and trolled the area for an hour or so with no luck.  Both were ~20-25 miles out of POC.