~95K noncitizens registered to vote, ~58k voted in the last Texas election

Thetexashammer

14 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Being a stupid fucking asshole sure is a lucrative business these days.

It's our goddamned national brand.  More recognizable than a Coca Cola bottle shape or the Nike swoosh, "stupid fucking asshole" IS America.

22 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Electronic communications made public Tuesday show Gov. Greg Abbott’s office was a driving force in the state’s program to purge nearly 100,000 suspected non-U.S. citizens from Texas’ voter rolls.

The program was scrapped in April after the state settled lawsuits challenging it, and after Secretary of State officials publicly admitted they included flawed data showing tens of thousands of naturalized citizens were on the purge list.

The emails were made public Tuesday by the League of United Latin American Citizens and the Washington, D.C.-based Campaign Legal Center, which represented plaintiffs who sued the state.

In an August 2018 email from John Crawford, a top official of the driver’s license division at the Texas Department of Public Safety, to an employee, Crawford said DPS had run data of licensed drivers to compare to state voter rolls before, and “we have an urgent request from the governor’s office to do it again.”

At a three-day hearing in federal court in San Antonio, none of the state’s witnesses ever mentioned that Abbott had pushed for the program when questioning turned to the origins of the program, which some officials called “routine.”

But the emails show Abbott applied pressure to officials at DPS to provide data that the Secretary of State could use for voter list maintenance.

From the emails, it appears employees from DPS and the Secretary of State’s office had been working on voter purge information since March 2018.

On Jan. 25, the Texas Secretary of State’s office sent out an advisory warning county election officials that more than 95,000 registered voters were believed to be non-citizens and that 58,000 of them had cast ballots in elections.

The advisory directed county officials to request proof of citizenship from those voters. Attorney General Ken Paxton touted the news in a “VOTER FRAUD ALERT” on Twitter, and Abbott thanked Paxton and Secretary of State David Whitley “for uncovering and investigating this illegal vote registration.”

The governor added: “I support prosecution where appropriate.”

Secretary of State officials admitted at the San Antonio court hearings that the data used for the numbers wrongly included information from legal permanent residents who went on to become naturalized U.S. citizens.

The fracas snagged the confirmation of David Whitley, Abbott’s pick to be secretary of state, and Whitley ultimately withdrew from consideration. DPS Secretary Steve McCraw in March took “full responsibility” for data errors in the citizenship review.

But critics of the program say the true source is now clear.

“The bottom line is this was the governor’s program,” said Luis Vera, LULAC’s national general counsel. “He threw Whitley and the DPS secretary under the bus. All along it was the governor pushing for (the program).”

A message seeking comment was left with Abbott’s office.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Greg Abbott is an embarrassment to the University of Texas.  

When you make the previous aggy buffoon look like a voice of reason and human decency....yeah.  He should be banned from wearing burnt orange for life, or something.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When you make the previous aggy buffoon look like a voice of reason and human decency....yeah.  He should be banned from wearing burnt orange for life, or something.

Abbott - see, I'm not Perry, I won't appoint hacks to the BOR to destroy UT

But Also Abbott - LOL I'm Trump in a wheelchair 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Gov. Greg Abbott names new secretary of state months after botched voter roll review

Ruth Ruggero Hughs replaces David Whitley, who failed to receive Senate confirmation after his office questioned the voter eligibility of thousands of naturalized citizens.

Ruggero Hughs is moving from the Texas Workforce Commission, which she has chaired since August 2018.

RUTH RUGGERO HUGHS is the Commissioner representing employers of the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC). Governor Greg Abbott appointed her to the three-member commission in July 2015 and her term as commissioner expires on February 1, 2021. She is proud to sponsor Texas Business Conferences across the state, offering businesses employment law guidance, as well as implementing initiatives for veterans, women entrepreneurs, and people with disabilities. Hughs previously served in a variety of capacities at the Texas Attorney General’s Office, and represented state agencies in state and federal courts, and provided management oversight of the 11 civil litigation divisions. In her last position as the director of defense litigation, Hughs supervised the defense of all lawsuits filed against the state. Hughs was recognized twice as a Rising Star in the legal community by Texas Monthly and is a graduate of The University of Texas at Austin and Rutgers Law School. She is a member of the State Bars of Texas and New Jersey, Austin Bar Association, Hispanic Bar Association, Travis County Women Lawyers Association, and a sustaining member of Junior League. She also serves as the chair of the Governor’s Advisory Council on Cultural Affairs, which identifies issues impacting the state’s changing demographics. @txworkforce

Another longtime hotwheels employee. I'm sure she'll fuck it up, too.

Was it like this when Texas flipped from Blue to Red?

Texas was a longtime conservative Democrat state. Did the Democrats go nuts like this with 1 last gasp before the end? I know a lot of them switched sides when they saw the writing, I really don't see that with the more powerful of this bunch.

28 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Was it like this when Texas flipped from Blue to Red?

Texas was a longtime conservative Democrat state. Did the Democrats go nuts like this with 1 last gasp before the end? I know a lot of them switched sides when they saw the writing, I really don't see that with the more powerful of this bunch.

I also remember a lot of side flipping (Phil Gramm and Rick Perry, holla!) but I don't recall a scramble at subverting the democratic process.  

But I was young.

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Telling that Abbott is genuinely scared of losing control in 2020. I assume that the state GOP understands the inevitable trend but hopes to keep favorable gerrymandered districts for another decade. 

the problem for the republicans is that they gerrymandered the shit out of the urban areas by diluting them with the suburbs. the suburbs are trending democratic if they havent already turned blue. essentially the republican plan to dilute the brown people with the white people is going to backfire as it becomes more of an educated vs dumbass fight. so all of those educated people in the burbs will cast their vote for the democrats along with the urban folks turning most if not all of the urban areas blue, and the republicans will be left with the idiot rednecks living in their trailers out in the middle of nowhere. 

4 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

essentially the republican plan to dilute the brown people with the white people is going to backfire as it becomes more of an educated vs dumbass fight. so all of those educated people in the burbs will cast their vote for the democrats along with the urban folks turning most if not all of the urban areas blue, and the republicans will be left with the idiot rednecks living in their trailers out in the middle of nowhere.

This.  Their gerrymander is at serious risk of being busted.

I'm not entirely sure if the suburbs are changing that much or that the Republican party has drastically changed over the last 20 years especially in the past few with Trump. While some on the Right have become over the top hypocritical in turning from the party of family values to party of results, I don't think their base has done the same.

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

I also remember a lot of side flipping (Phil Gramm and Rick Perry, holla!) but I don't recall a scramble at subverting the democratic process.  

But I was young.

Perry is marking time at the DoE until the current Aggie President runs out his contract and then will take Sharp's place as system Chancellor and appoint a new President. That is what has been rumored anyway. I've heard Sharp (a Democrat) may re-enter politics, but I don't know how reliable that rumor is.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm not entirely sure if the suburbs are changing that much or that the Republican party has drastically changed over the last 20 years especially in the past few with Trump. While some on the Right have become over the top hypocritical in turning from the party of family values to party of results, I don't think their base has done the same.

Go look 2016 election results v the last three elections. The numbers don’t lie

16 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Sharp isn’t getting back into politics 

And are Abbott and Perry such great friends that Abbott's guys on the Board of Regents would vote in Perry?

If the above poster's rumors are right, we'll probably hear of this move come April 2020, as that is when Michael Young's contract is up.