5 HPD Officers Shot

Lobwedgephil

On 2/4/2019 at 11:52 AM, TwiceHorn said:

I will take slight issue with you here.  I don't think "no-knock" really has a constitutional dimension, it's just a bad idea.

This search appears to be lawful.  The cops made the right kind of noises and went through the proper steps to secure a search warrant.  What's alarming, though, is how skimpy the warrant affidavit is, and how easily it could be erroneous, shaded, or even outright fabricated at either the informant or attesting officer level.  And also how deferential the judge was to the skimpy, uncorroborated facts set forth in the affidavit.

And this is what's worrisome:  the people are too deferential to the prosecutors, who in turn are too deferential to the cops, and the judge is probably too deferential to everyone at every stage.  Everyone except the defendant, that is.  And that deference has grown into something that might be considered actual, wait for it, collusion.

In my world, I call the above an average Monday in the justice system. It’s become nothing more than a rubber stamp on some annoying paperwork directive. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

so, uh, let's just put this one to bed and produce this sample of "boy" that the confidential informant bought. we can test it and determine if it is in fact heroin. let's do that. 

so, where is this sample that the CI bought? should be pretty easy to locate, right?

🙄

You mean like this? 

https://www.statesman.com/news/20180527/hays-county-murder-case-evaporates-as-police-lose-a-mystery-informant/1

if only there were some way to turn off the water to an individual house.  maybe located near the front, under a plastic cover. 

Disclaimer 1 - I agree no-knocks are bullshit. Do real actual police like McNulty and Lester. Devil’s advocate, contrarian below.

Disclaimer 2 - I’ve never flushed narcotics down the toilet.

Obviously, the quantity of narcotics one is trying to quickly dispose of is going to dictate the multi-flush. That being said how many American homes have tankless toilets? And how many of those homes are the residence or “office” of a drug distributer/seller, less than 1%?

The low-efficiency high-volume day-after-thanksgiving-turd-gobblers at the Estacado house could flush a couple pounds of organic matter, floating or sinking, with the volume in the tank.

Something I've always wondered about regarding the concern of flushing evidence... why not just turn the water off at the street? At most, folks in the house would only have 1 flush available.

Additionally, just stick something in the ww clean out or service connection to stop up the waste flow. Just send the utility company out before your ready to execute the warrant. Becomes a little more complex in rural environments with well/ septic (harder to disguise actions), but still seems less of a hassle than the no knock raids.

2 minutes ago, mightyfine said:

Something I've always wondered about regarding the concern of flushing evidence... why not just turn the water off at the street? At most, folks in the house would only have 1 flush available.

Additionally, just stick something in the ww clean out or service connection to stop up the waste flow. Just send the utility company out before your ready to execute the warrant. Becomes a little more complex in rural environments with well/ septic (harder to disguise actions), but still seems less of a hassle than the no knock raids.

Because you don't need to wear tac gear to stop up a toilet.  Or ride the MRAP.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Dewey said:

so, uh, let's just put this one to bed and produce this sample of "boy" that the confidential informant bought. we can test it and determine if it is in fact heroin. let's do that. 
so, where is this sample that the CI bought? should be pretty easy to locate, right?
emoji849.png
Goes to evidence room, comes back with heroin.

Didn't you hear the snively twerp Gamaldi? The only person that can answer any of these questions is the hero in the hospital that got shot in the face and has endured multiple surgeries.  How dare you question his authoritah? The cops are going to slow play this and pray that the drive by media moves on to the next big story.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

The weapons of these hardcore drug dealing gangstas.

752a138f7ca5c0065737835bcea17366.jpg

Wow, they were a regular army.  OR.....underarmed for typical Texans.  Seriously, I had a similar "arsenal" when I was 12 (two shotguns, a .22, and a deer rifle -- I literally had the exact same type of lineup).  I didn't have an infinitesimally small amount of weed, then, though.  So, clearly, these people had to die.

I love Texas.  The place where guns are sacred, and we should be able to carry all of them everywhere, and they are the ULTIMATE symbols of FREEDOM AND CONSTITUTION.....EXCEPT when the cops kill you in your own home, in which case those exact same guns are proof-positive that you are a bad guy and deserved to die, because here in Texas, WE BACK THE BLUE!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

What the hell is a Beretta ALS? Adjustable length stock? Google doesn’t show a model.

A400, A300, A391, 686. These are numbers that should follow Beretta.

It's clearly an ALSK-47 ASSAULT RIFLE SHOTGUN, which is why the police need armored vehicles.  Why do you hate the police, who put their lives on the line for you and just want to make it home safely to their families?

54 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

The weapons of these hardcore drug dealing gangstas.

752a138f7ca5c0065737835bcea17366.jpg

Unknown white powder and 18 fucking g's of weed.....that's fucking it?? 

Acevedo and the HPD have a lot of explaining to do. I don't why I'm wasting my time and energy typing that they should take responsibility and admit that they fucked up. There is no way they are going to do that. Fuck these no-knock warrants right in the ass. It's beyond disgusting that these two people lost their lives over something so trivial. 

Is relieving the informant a decent enough 'first step?'

IMHO higher folks' heads need to roll, especially with regard to the unnecessary loss of 2 citizens' lives while also endangereing officers for the absolute wrong reasons.

Alleged leadership needs to be held acountable.

Art was just on the news saying they’re investigating and will overturn every stone. “They owe that to the officers, the deceased suspects families, and the community”

In that order. Protect and MF’n serve!

I want to know if citizens’ with Beretta 686 with a trap stock need to get an auto with a mag extension. Not sure if I want to know if the Beretta was an O/U or not or if that would make me laugh or cry.

Is relieving the informant a decent enough 'first step?'
IMHO higher folks' heads need to roll, especially with regard to the unnecessary loss of 2 citizens' lives while also endangereing officers for the absolute wrong reasons.

Alleged leadership needs to be held acountable.

I don’t believe the CI was “relieved”. Wasn’t it one of the officers?

I can’t believe they haven’t produced a lab report yet confirming whether the “boy” that the CI purchased was actually heroin.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

If you're dealing drugs and packing a .22 or 20 gauge shotgun you're dealing drugs wrong.

I guess an R700 could be dangerous if it was fitted out and the couple was a team of crack shot military snipers. 

What in the fuck are you talking about? Not saying these people were drug dealers, but a 20 ga shotgun will kick a whole lot of ass. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Player said:

I don’t believe the CI was “relieved”. Wasn’t it one of the officers?

I can’t believe they haven’t produced a lab report yet confirming whether the “boy” that the CI purchased was actually heroin.

I think he meant to say "revealing" not relieve

SIAP:

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --

The president of the Houston Police Officers' Union isn't mincing words after four officers were shot and one was injured while serving a narcotics warrant on the city's southeast side.

During a press conference early Monday evening outside Memorial Hermann Hospital, Joe Gamaldi put anyone caught stirring anti-law enforcement rhetoric in the community on notice.

"We are sick and tired of having targets on our back," Gamaldi said. "We are sick and tired of having dirtbags trying to take our lives when all we're trying to do is protect this community and protect our families."

Gamaldi said while we live in the greatest city in the world, there are some who are fostering resentment against police in Houston.

"Enough is enough. If you're the ones out there spreading the rhetoric that police officers are the enemy, well just know we've all got your number now," Gamaldi said. "We're going to be keeping track on all of y'all, and we're going to make sure to hold you accountable every time you stir the pot on our police officers."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

SIAP:

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --

The president of the Houston Police Officers' Union isn't mincing words after four officers were shot and one was injured while serving a narcotics warrant on the city's southeast side.

During a press conference early Monday evening outside Memorial Hermann Hospital, Joe Gamaldi put anyone caught stirring anti-law enforcement rhetoric in the community on notice.

"We are sick and tired of having targets on our back," Gamaldi said. "We are sick and tired of having dirtbags trying to take our lives when all we're trying to do is protect this community and protect our families."

Gamaldi said while we live in the greatest city in the world, there are some who are fostering resentment against police in Houston.

"Enough is enough. If you're the ones out there spreading the rhetoric that police officers are the enemy, well just know we've all got your number now," Gamaldi said. "We're going to be keeping track on all of y'all, and we're going to make sure to hold you accountable every time you stir the pot on our police officers."

Fuck that piece of shit and his threats. He should be fired for those comments

• Like 9

If I go out and murder two people, I’d like to be able to investigate myself  

Acevedo said HPD has its own special investigation unit working on the case and does not plan on asking Texas Rangers or federal authorities for help.

The chief said he’s confident their internal unit will iron out what happened last Monday.

"The day we can't investigate ourselves, we might as well close shop," Acevedo said.

Officers shot with .357 pistol or rifles and shotguns?

“white powdery substance” or cocaine?

Still no lab report confirming that “boy” is heroin?

No other heroin recovered? No plastic baggies? No other paraphernalia?

No surveillance footage or pics from other buys during a 2 week operation? Really??? The controlled buy with the CI was the ONLY drug transaction during a 2 week operation?

No statements or testimony from neighbors confirming (or even suspecting) that there was irregular activity at the house?

No body camera footage?

Sounds like Art has ‘em working in shifts.

097cdd2c05646eff634eb8858147ac7d.jpg

Like a few posters I’ve given the benefit of doubt to police in the past but these “no knock” warrants are so much bullshit. 

This whole deal doesn’t pass any logic test. HPD screwed up, got 4 officers shot, and probably murdered two private citizens. We at least know they are dead and that should not be. 

https://abc13.com/what-was-found-in-home-after-deadly-drug-raid-hpd-warrant/5127653/

The entire investigation began after the concerned mother of the now-dead 50-something year old woman called 911 concerned about the welfare of her daughter doing drugs in her (now raided) home.

"Oh, you're concerned she's doing drugs?  We'll send someone right over and make sure you never have to be concerned about her well-being ever again."

Edited by hopkinsnhorns
word
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don’t live in Texas but I cannot believe that cop and his threats about tracking people if they shit talk cops.

Seriously, where are the people who go bananas about “Muh free speech!” when an idiot posts something dumb on Twitter gets fired on this mess?

This is an agent of the actual government threatening citizens with negative consequences for speaking out about their bad behavior. And these agents have the power to enforce their threats through government sanctioned violence via firearms.

How has this nutbar not been fired? How is there not more outrage from the people of Houston?

There should be an organized effort to bombard their social media and phone lines and emails with criticism. No threats or calls for violence or retribution or anything like that. Just polite, legitimate criticism of their bad behavior.

Dare them to come after citizens exercising their right to freely speak against the government.

The whole situation sickens me and I think y’all are correct that this was a major fuck up and the truth is being swept under the rug.

But this attitude of “We’re police officers, godammit and you pissant peasants have no right to question our authority!” is one of the root causes of so much of the downturn of modern policing.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

The context of his comments was towards people who target the cops, which were not actually involved in this case.

He should be requesting city leadership and outside investigation to get shit right.

Internal investigation should be for very minor infractions, like insubordination or some shit...not an event with 2 dead and 4 seriously wounded.

Edited by slorch

19 hours ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

https://abc13.com/what-was-found-in-home-after-deadly-drug-raid-hpd-warrant/5127653/

The entire investigation began after the concerned mother of the now-dead 50-something year old woman called 911 concerned about the welfare of her daughter doing drugs in her (now raided) home.

"Oh, you're concerned she's doing drugs?  We'll send someone right over and make sure you never have to be concerned about her well-being ever again."

Sad that an old woman was worried about her daughter and hoped the police could help. Instead of being the friendly neighborhood cop that tries to assist, they see it as a potential drug arrest.

This is gonna end up swept under the rug.

Think about no knock warrants for a sec. Think about how long it takes for dudes who are in specialized units of the military to learn how to properly bust through doors and clear a building without doing anything stupid and either getting themselves or their partners killed. This is a job that requires a lot of real life training and experience.

Then think a out the fact that these cops probably have minimal training doing such things, if they have any practice at all. It's no wonder such disastrous results are so common. You're having a dangerous job that, should it need to be done, is being done by absolute scrubs who have no idea how to respond to a dangerous situation like that.

It's really just reckless on the part of the higher ups who allow it to happen. A big part of being a successful manager of people is putting those people into positions to succeed. No knock raids not only don't do that; they actually put these dudes in position to fail. Which is exactly what happened here.

This isn't real police work. It's reckless, and it's shoddy, and it makes me wonder how we got to a place where such laziness can be allowed to happen when people's lives literally hang in the balance.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, slorch said:

The context of his comments was towards people who target the cops, which were not actually involved in this case.

He should be requesting city leadership and outside investigation to get shit right.

Internal investigation should be for very minor infractions, like insubordination or some shit...not an event with 2 dead and 4 seriously wounded.

No.....by his own words, his context clearly included people "spreading rhetoric" that is anti-cop. Fuck that shit! He has no business in public service issuing veiled threats against citizens for being critical of police. From the top down, this was a major fuck up by the cops and they are squirming like an earthworm on a hot sidewalk trying to figure out how to save face. 

Edited by immortal13

I've got an acquaintance who is retired HPD.  I asked him about this case and he was very much of the "wait until the facts come out before rendering judgement" mentality, which I can understand given his background and history.  I asked about the words of the union rep, and he said he understands why the guy said what he did, because that is the same feeling among a lot of the rank and file.  He basically blamed the rhetoric of BML, "Hands up, don't shoot", "fry like bacon" shit for driving the cops to be so defensive, which sounds like Fox News spin all day long to me.  He didn't really respond to my proposition that words like this from a union rep only exacerbate the divide.  To me, that rep sounds more like a Teamster mob boss from the 60's than anything else.

I asked about Art, and he said "Acevedo is a politician, not a good chief" and that he is essentially trying to CYA for future political reasons by opting for an internal investigation vs. bringing in the Texas Rangers to do an honest 3rd party investigation.  I've got to believe that the Ranger will be brought in eventually if shit goes awry, which I suspect it will.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns