Jump to content
futureman

$9.95 worth every penny

Recommended Posts

We didn’t want him that much anyway. We’ll go out of state and cherry pick an elite reporter, this years in state reporter crop isn’t that great. Maybe we’ll have no one cover until the great reporter class of 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s:

1. Legitimately douchey to post how he wasn’t “happy” at 247 after Burton (say what you will about him) wrote a respectful going away message for him.  My opinion would change if EJ had really been screwed over by 247 about something, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.  Respect his decision ... lulz.

2. Funny that Burton’s version was actually more flattering to EJ (“they are relocating because his wife is going to medical school, and he found a great opportunity closer to where they will be living!”) than his own version (“I just wasn’t happy - whatevs - and in case you didn’t notice, I’ve also been mailing it in the last couple of months!”).  And even funnier that EJ apparently wanted to correct the record on that.

I am actually going to miss that ridiculous person.

Edited by longhornmatt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s:

1. Legitimately douchey to post how he wasn’t “happy” at 247 after Burton (say what you will about him) wrote a respectful going away message for him.  My opinion would change if EJ had really been screwed over by 247 about something, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.  Respect his decision ... lulz.

2. Funny that Burton’s version was actually more flattering to EJ (“they are relocating because his wife is going to medical school, and he found a great opportunity closer to where they will be living!”) than his own version (“I just wasn’t happy - whatevs - and in case you didn’t notice, I’ve also been mailing it in the last couple of months!”).  And even funnier that EJ apparently wanted to correct the record on that.

I am actually going to miss that ridiculous person.

All of this. EJ’s “announcement” was cringey as hell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's terrifying is that for all of EJ's flaws, there are/were much, much worse recruiting reporters out there. Taylor Hamm and James Hale were 247 employees at one point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Machinator said:

What's terrifying is that for all of EJ's flaws, there are/were much, much worse recruiting reporters out there. Taylor Hamm and James Hale were 247 employees at one point.

Current employee:


1d2ea35b6b92ec15ff0786c93c61c9a8_400x400

Edited by Katfid54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some background on Mike Roach from Chip Brown

MEET 'ROACHIE' OUR NEW LEAD RECRUITING ANALYST

We call him Mike. His wife, Kylie, calls him “Roachie.” And, as it turns out we have Kylie to thank for Roachie becoming the new, lead recruiting analyst here at Horns247. It was Kylie in 2013 who encouraged her husband to reconnect with his writing despite Roachie being well into a 13-year career as a coordinator of national accounts for ADT security systems.

His last day with ADT was last Thursday as Mike is now working full-time for Horns247 after working part-time the past three years. “We’ll be in the middle of dinner or on a road trip and a call will come in from a recruit, and it doesn’t bother me,” Kylie said. “Because it’s not just his job - it’s his dream job. And you want your partner to have their dream job.”

Now that we know Roachie has an unbelievably cool wife, here’s some stuff you may not have known about Mike:

— He’s 34. (Turns 35 on June 26.)

— Grew up in Irving. Attended Irving High, where he had more success on the stage as vice president of the drama club than he did playing football. “I played safety but never played,” Roachie said, who did his dominating in Irving High’s “Holy Ghosts,” a play about a church full of pentecostal snake handlers, and as Marc Anthony in “Julius Caesar.” (Roachie and I are kindred spirits when it comes to the stage. I played P.T. Barnum in the musical “Barnum” in high school.)

— Odd jobs in high school included working at Old Navy, the go kart mecca Speed Zone and was king of the carnival games at Six Flags in Arlington. “We had a game where you had to throw a football through a star, and it wouldn’t fit,” Roachie said. “I had a guy say, ‘I’ll give you twenty bucks if you literally push the ball through the star,’ and I thought, ‘I’m screwed.’ Yeah, those games are mostly unwinnable.”

— Spent two years at Northlake Community College before going to work full-time for ADT.

— Grew up a Texas fan and became interested in covering recruiting during UT’s pursuit of 2005 five-star quarterback Ryan Perrilloux. “All I heard about was this kid was supposed to be the next Vince Young, and it was the most dramatic recruitment I’d ever seen,” Roachie said. “Recruiting was different back then. There was no Twitter or social media. So everything you got was from recruiting sites.”

— First recruiting commitment he broke was Texas offensive lineman Tope Imade (while writing for HornSports). “He was a guy from Arlington Bowie. I was one of the first guys to write about him, and he returned that favor.”

— His first significant recruiting interview was Allen’s Kyler Murray. “When I told him I was a reporter, his personality totally changed,” Roachie said. “He answered eight questions in 45 seconds. “I asked, ‘You hearing from Texas?’ And he said, ‘Yeah, but that’s not happening.’ I tweeted it out and picked up a ton of followers.”

— After being recommended by EJ Holland for a part-time job with Horns247 in 2016, Roachie helped break the commitment flip of 2018 five-star safety Caden Sterns from LSU to Texas. “Caden’s one of the kids I’ve gotten closest to since I started covering recruiting.”

— Roachie said becoming the lead recruiting analyst for Horns247 is “everything to me.” “I’ve wanted to do something in sports my whole life. When I was in college, I was working toward a career in radio. I loved The Ticket (in Dallas), and I actually worked there doing odd jobs as a board operator and stuff. But I didn’t think I had the radio talent and loved the writing side. Kylie encouraged me to go after it. I worked for free for a couple years. I’d get off work at ADT at 4 pm and drive to Lubbock to see recruits at a high school game. So, if you’d have told me when I was 18 I would be getting paid to cover recruiting, I would’ve told you, ‘You’re crazy.’”

No one seems happier than Roachie’s muse, Kylie. “I’m his biggest fan,” she said. “I’m so proud of him. He’s worked so hard, out of his own pocket — actually out of our own pocket. And, now, here he is. And everyone at Horns247 needs to know he’s 100 percent dedicated.” So here’s to Roachie … and, perhaps, most importantly, to Kylie!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, satyanash said:

from Chip Brown

Who?

Loved hearing about MR. Glad to have someone there who has earned a degree of respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Where did EJ go? Nothing on his Twitter but a bunch of RTs

Ultimately he's heading to Notre Dame's Rivals page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, markstanco said:

So that's still the word huh. Thanks. These two new guys, are they as douchey?

Roach isn't new, he's just full time now. As far as I can tell he's solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we got an upgrade in quality but a downgrade in things to bitch about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lobwedgephil said:

 

Why does he feel the need to burn every bridge at 247? It's fucking weird. Moving somewhere because your wife has a good med school placement is totally normal and fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Why does he feel the need to burn every bridge at 247? It's fucking weird. Moving somewhere because your wife has a good med school placement is totally normal and fine.

he is entitled millennial, hear him roar!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Strange post in my opinion. 

Well, every other post he's made on the subject has been "strange." And by strange, I mean specifically comes across like an immature fucking child. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

“This was MY decision.”  

Lulz, now I think he actually was fired - by the organization that keeps Chip Brown around despite embarrassing himself on ESPN with made up stories and actively undermining the recruiting of the school he covers.  Quite an achievement.  And I would not have thought that if he just graciously left and started his new job.  

Burton gave him a better story for leaving than this crap he’s coming up with on his own.   You set the record straight, EJ!  Don’t let 247 disrespect you by making people think you’re professional and have a normal family life! 

What an idiot.  Is he just pissed at 247, or is he also so insecure he doesn’t want people to think his wife (with actual career prospects) makes the decisions about where they live?  “Nah, it wasn’t because of her dumb medical school!  This is all solely about my great career opportunity!”

Edited by longhornmatt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

“This was MY decision.”  

Lulz, now I think he actually was fired - by the organization that keeps Chip Brown around despite embarrassing himself on ESPN with made up stories and actively undermining the recruiting of the school he covers.  Quite an achievement.  And I would not have thought that if he just graciously left and started his new job.  

Burton gave him a better story for leaving than this crap he’s coming up with on his own.   You set the record straight, EJ!  Don’t let 247 disrespect you by making people think you’re professional and have a normal family life! 

What an idiot.  Is he just pissed at 247, or is he also so insecure he doesn’t want people to think his wife (with actual career prospects) makes the decisions about where they live?  “Nah, it wasn’t because of her dumb medical school!  This is all solely about my great career opportunity!”

The best part is the "Tired of being complacent and an environment without expectations." In other words, he's not a self-starter and he needs to be directly managed. Get in line to hire this guy, fellas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep.  And I’m sure he responds well to expectations and being held accountable by his bosses when they do try to manage him.  He seems very affable and low maintenance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We will never be done with EJ.  And neither will whoever has to respond to customer bitching for American Airlines on twitter, since he moved to a place where O’Hare is the nearest hub.  I bet some poor customer service rep was rooting hard for him to get hired somewhere near a Delta hub.

Edited by longhornmatt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EJ Holland handling a standard job switch like an immature twat is the least surprising thing ever. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Viper said:

we got an upgrade in quality but a downgrade in things to bitch about

I’m confident surly will be able to find plenty of other things to bitch about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Lulz, now I think he actually was fired 

No, he wasn't 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Why does he feel the need to burn every bridge at 247? It's fucking weird. Moving somewhere because your wife has a good med school placement is totally normal and fine.

I'm just spitballin' here, but could it possibly be... do you think... maybe he's just a dickhead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Those lazy scumbags didn't even bother go to the event, then stole the photo I took and used it on their front page!!"

...5 weeks later...

"These guys are the coolest."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Strange post in my opinion. 

What a moron...why burn bridges at 247 for no reason, especially shitting on management who handled everything diplomatically. He has more Hamm in him than I thought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Looks like E.J. will be writing for OrangeBloods while he's still in Dallas.

 

He and Ketch are the perfect reward for anyone who gives obloods money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

What a moron...why burn bridges at 247 for no reason, especially shitting on management who handled everything diplomatically. He has more Hamm in him than I thought

Honestly, tweeting out that Ketch is the GOAT is probably the most offensive thing to Burton of all of them.

It's obviously poor form and really dumb.

But I also kind of totally love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fud said:

No, he wasn't 

Listen dude. Im not an EJ hater. But i think its a hell of a coincidence  that just after he starts doing this other 7 on 7 stuff he gets sideways with 247. 

And you cant say EJ is handling this correctly/professionally. 

Whether he was outright fired for taking the outside work, or he got sand in his vagina and quit, hes making it obvious there was a problem and there seems to be bad blood . On EJs part at least. 

 So deny these scenarios all you like, because the facts dont fit the  " he just decided to move on" idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Listen dude. Im not an EJ hater. But i think its a hell of a coincidence  that just after he starts doing this other 7 on 7 stuff he gets sideways with 247. 

And you cant say EJ is handling this correctly/professionally. 

Whether he was outright fired for taking the outside work, or he got sand in his vagina and quit, hes making it obvious there was a problem and there seems to be bad blood . On EJs part at least. 

 So deny these scenarios all you like, because the facts dont fit the  " he just decided to move on" idea. 

I'm telling you factually that he wasn't fired, didn't get in trouble, wasn't encouraged to look around, or anything. It was 100% his side. 

I don't like him, but you guys are tilting at windmills 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Fud said:

I'm telling you factually that he wasn't fired, didn't get in trouble, wasn't encouraged to look around, or anything. It was 100% his side. 

I don't like him, but you guys are tilting at windmills 

This. He wasn’t fired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, him being a petulant bitch for zero reason is funnier than it having an actual motive.

Maybe he thinks it wouldn't be cool and "finesse" to admit his wife has the job that matters in the family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, texifornia said:

Honestly, him being a petulant bitch for zero reason is funnier than it having an actual motive.

Maybe he thinks it wouldn't be cool and "finesse" to admit his wife has the job that matters in the family. 

Qualifying this with I don't like EJ because I think he's annoying as fuck and I don't like how he caters to the sketchy parties of college football recruiting, and I think it's amazingly stupid to burn a bridge with probably the top company in an industry without many options to work, but he had reason for being a petulant bitch here. Should he have acted like a grownup and rather than a scorned fifteen year old girl? Absolutely. But to be clear, he wasn't fired, and he didn't shit on 247 for no reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's hope this is the end of EJ, he does not deserve this much attention. We upgraded by having Mike & Clint on the recruiting beat IMO. 

IMO, he will wear out his Irish welcome pretty quickly just like he did here. He's not passionate about the school, it'll show in his work. Only a matter of time before he starts telling us about the hidden gems he discovered while at a coffee shop in St. Joes. He hated Austin, can't wait to see what he thinks of the shit hole that is South Bend or how he is treated on the streets/riding the metro of Chicago. Fuck that guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Fud said:

Qualifying this with I don't like EJ because I think he's annoying as fuck and I don't like how he caters to the sketchy parties of college football recruiting, and I think it's amazingly stupid to burn a bridge with probably the top company in an industry without many options to work, but he had reason for being a petulant bitch here. Should he have acted like a grownup and rather than a scorned fifteen year old girl? Absolutely. But to be clear, he wasn't fired, and he didn't shit on 247 for no reason. 

If you have a job, then you have potential reasons to be a petulant bitch... on the condition, of course, that you are the sort of person who lacks enough maturity and discipline to avoid being petulant and bitchy.

I don't know what happened to/towards/around/with him, and I don't care. Suck it up, bitch-tits, and be a man. Not everything goes your way on the job. Boo-hoo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Let's hope this is the end of EJ, he does not deserve this much attention. We upgraded by having Mike & Clint on the recruiting beat IMO. 

IMO, he will wear out his Irish welcome pretty quickly just like he did here. He's not passionate about the school, it'll show in his work. Only a matter of time before he starts telling us about the hidden gems he discovered while at a coffee shop in St. Joes. He hated Austin, can't wait to see what he thinks of the shit hole that is South Bend or how he is treated on the streets/riding the metro of Chicago. Fuck that guy.

EJ's going to love Chicago because it's Chicago. It has the big name recognition that, shitty or not, appeals to someone that felates and purchases $400 T shirts and leases a mercedes 3 series thinking he's the fucking balls. Cognitive dissonance is amazing. That clown could end up abandoning his lease and riding the bus while living in Cabrini Green and he'd still tell anyone who cares to listen how amazing and superior Chicago is to anywhere on the planet. He's probably already personally designing the Chicago Bulls/Cubs coat of arms tattoo he's going to get tramped on his lower back in the coming months and reading about the history of Chicago since it will be the place he's always been destined to live in greatness, and he's going to have to be armed with the facts to shout that from the rooftops. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

If you have a job, then you have potential reasons to be a petulant bitch... on the condition, of course, that you are the sort of person who lacks enough maturity and discipline to avoid being petulant and bitchy.

I don't know what happened to/towards/around/with him, and I don't care. Suck it up, bitch-tits, and be a man. Not everything goes your way on the job. Boo-hoo.

I don't disagree 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...