West Virginia @ Texas Series

LTtxfan

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Three consecutive late inning collapses. Can't wait to see what tomorrow has in store.

I don’t consider this one a collapse.  We made a couple of bad pitches.  I will take that outing from Bocchi over what we have been getting.  As you said before we just do not have any power so the margin for error is so slim.   It means when we make a terrible baserunnig error we lose a one run game.  

• Like 1

Just now, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Disappointing loss, but this team has the ability to ruin someone’s hosted regional 

just like Shaka wasn't making the tournament.  this team isn't making a regional. they will be lucky to stay over .500.  may I paraphrase the great Cholly Weis "have you seen that  pile of shit out there?"

4 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Disappointing loss, but this team has the ability to ruin someone’s hosted regional 

This team isn’t getting in to a regional. We get swept by wvu and Oklahoma. Maybe win one against Kansas 

Edited by EuroHorn

Just now, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I don’t like Bocchi’s mechanics. Side slots always lead to hangers.

I agree with this.  Pierce said they got him to change to get more movement.  It needs to be sinking movement.  Last year he had a natural downward trajectory from over the top. 

• Like 1

Just now, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I don’t like Bocchi’s mechanics. Side slots always lead to hangers.

they actually changed his slot to get more movement because he doesn't have enough velocity.  I get what you are saying but IMO, the slot isn't the issue.  he should never throw a curve on the inside of the plate.  it should always be off the plate away.

• Like 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

they actually changed his slot to get more movement because he doesn't have enough velocity.  I get what you are saying but IMO, the slot isn't the issue.  he should never throw a curve on the inside of the plate.  it should always be off the plate away.

He’s got the same velocity as Elder.  Upset 80s sometimes touching 90. 

Absolutely. He started at his armpit which is a bad decision. Start at the plate on a RH.

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He’s got the same velocity as Elder.  Upset 80s sometimes touching 90. 

I thought Elder was low 90's.  either way Bocchi isn't even close to the pitcher Elder is with his fastball command and change.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I thought Elder was low 90's.  either way Bocchi isn't even close to the pitcher Elder is with his fastball command and change.

Of course not.  I’m just saying that you don’t need to be a flamethrower to get movement with a textbook delivery.  Watch when Bocchi gets to rookie league or A-ball. They will throw that new slot in the garbage and fix him.  

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

Of course not.  I’m just saying that you don’t need to be a flamethrower to get movement with a textbook delivery.  Watch when Bocchi gets to rookie league or A-ball. They will throw that new slot in the garbage and fix him.  

Bocchi against Tenn Tech.    Fastball has movement, low 90's,  note the way he keeps the ball down.     Pierce had success in changing the slot of Parker Joe not sure why he thought it was necessary with Bocchi.

• Like 2

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

I agree about movement not being specifically related to a slot in general. everything I see from Elder says he's 92 with his fastball.  there is a big difference between 88 and 92 when you get to this level even.  especially if you are not a left hander. 

at 88 Bocchi and being RH he needs a damn good change or a damn good curve.  I don't think he had either before movement to a different slot.  I root for Bocchi, great story, seems like a very hard worker but IMO regardless of slot Bocchi will have a short life in pro baseball if he doesn't perfect one of those other pitches.

Pierce probably thought Bocchi could benefit from the slot move and its "easier" to generate movement that way.  also, nice to have a different look coming out of the pen. vs. guys with the exact same delivery as the starters.

anyway, it really doesn't matter because changing bocchi's delivery is very low on the issue list.

1 minute ago, 2005 said:

This team is done. 

They need to keep throwing the young arms to the fire.  A few of the freshman have live arms but no clue.  Get Peter back and get him as many innings behind the plate as possible.  Put Bertelson at 1st and leave him there.   It’s all about next year at this point.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

They need to keep throwing the young arms to the fire.  A few of the freshman have live arms but no clue.  Get Peter back and get him as many innings behind the plate as possible.  Put Bertelson at 1st and leave him there.   It’s all about next year at this point.  

agree with this whole heartedly.

9 minutes ago, torre said:

Bocchi against Tenn Tech.    Fastball has movement, low 90's,  note the way he keeps the ball down.     Pierce had success in changing the slot of Parker Joe not sure why he thought it was necessary with Bocchi.

good video. I stand corrected on Bocchi's velocity before.  and yeah, those were fun times.  

I agree about movement not being specifically related to a slot in general. everything I see from Elder says he's 92 with his fastball.  there is a big difference between 88 and 92 when you get to this level even.  especially if you are not a left hander. 
at 88 Bocchi and being RH he needs a damn good change or a damn good curve.  I don't think he had either before movement to a different slot.  I root for Bocchi, great story, seems like a very hard worker but IMO regardless of slot Bocchi will have a short life in pro baseball if he doesn't perfect one of those other pitches.
Pierce probably thought Bocchi could benefit from the slot move and its "easier" to generate movement that way.  also, nice to have a different look coming out of the pen. vs. guys with the exact same delivery as the starters.
anyway, it really doesn't matter because changing bocchi's delivery is very low on the issue list.

Man that’s tough. A RH with a change that tends to float @88 will get slayed.
I have never liked side slotted guys. It never fails that they hang one and when they do they get punished at bad times for it.

1 minute ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Man that’s tough. A RH with a change that tends to float @88 will get slayed.
I have never liked side slotted guys. It never fails that they hang one and when they do they get punished at bad times for it.

Fair enough on the side slot opinion.  I meant a fastball at 88.  needs a 80 MPH change or big breaking curve.

10 hours ago, torre said:

After that performance in the regional last year, I had really high hopes for Bocchi as a quality starter this season.  Not sure why that hasn't happened..... 

Has Bocchi been injured at all since last season??

Bocchi .. from that baseball hot bed Italy .. being a viable option should tell us all we need to know about the rest of the pitching staff.

In his defense last night, Bocchi threw one bad pitch in an otherwise decent outing. It was nice, for a change, not to suffer death by a thousand cuts of BB, PB, and WP.  It was a mercy killing. 

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

So Bocchi doesn't have enough velocity, but he makes up for it by not having enough movement. Sounds like a winning combo.

All I know is he came through big time last year. Why change his mechanics? PJ Robinson was a different case.