New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

21 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Had 24 hours in New Orleans last week. Goat curry at Compere Lapin was a game changer. Great bar scene as well. They know how to mix a mean cocktail. 

I think Nina Compton has really come into her own in the past two years as the next great New Orleanian chef. I think CL and BAB are more exciting than when they opened and hit one of them each trip. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I would think that’s almost a daily occurrence at Mr. B’s.  I’ve been plenty of times where the bar area is very rowdy and they are waiting for tables.  Many drunks stumbling around tables,  I always figured they are pretty lax.  

It's not daily, but it happens.

My point was that the whole "he was dressed in a tank top and shorts" (or whatever it was) thing is pretty much a non-event in NOLA.

I trace the allowance of casual attire at nice restaurants to post-Katrina. Restaurants weren’t in a position to turn away a paying customer at that point and it has lingered ever since.

I wouldn't argue with that.  I lived in NOLA a few yrs before Katrina and then for a couple after and come to think of it things did seem to get a lot more casual during the latter.

If anyone is visiting soon, I’m really curious about Mr. Mao’s, which just opened in the old Dick & Jenny’s place (where I had an awful meal several days before it closed after Mardi Gras 2020). It’s gotten tons of press so far and all the cool kids in the NOLA food scene seem to be raving about it. Heading back for a week during Jazz Fest and this, Miss River and Seafood Sally are at the top of my list. 

9 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

We are going to stop on the way back from Gulf Shores. Is there anything suggested for kids while I drink copious amounts of booze and down oysters?
Pretty sure I can’t drag them to the Erin Rose or Little Bar on Gravier

Sidecar, Peche, Casamento’s (best in town but prob closed for August), Station 6, Clesi’s. All the spots by the lake (R&O, etc) and Mid-City (Mandina’s, Liuzza’s) etc are pretty family friendly. 

• Like 1

So I went to New Orleans over the weekend for my last single friend's bachelor party. These were my experiences/takeaways:

First, I'll say that NOLA has always been one of my favorites places, and loved it when I was 22, 25, 26, and 29. Each of those times I either stayed on Canal or Bourbon, but now, it's painfully obvious to me that I have outgrown setting up base camp on Bourbon. I know I'm getting older, but it also seems a little trashier than it was 10-15 years ago. The shooting early Sunday morning only cemented my opinions. So, I look forward to returning, but staying elsewhere.

As far as restaurants/bars/entertainment went, I didn't have much say in the matter for this trip, but of the places I went:

Johnny's Po-Boys - been a favorite of mine for years. I thought this visit was only okay, but I also went near closing time so that might have affected the quality of the bread.
Antoine's - good, but not great. The pompano was solid, as were their chargrilled oysters, but oysters rockefeller, which they claimed to have invented, were very mediocre-to-bad.
Erin Rose - frozen Irish coffees were fucking excellent. Really hit the spot on the hot and humid mornings.
Parkway Bakery & Tavern - in the Mid-City area. Excellent. One of the best po-boys I've ever had. Outside the Quarter, but would absolutely have again.
Jacque Imo's - in Uptown. Solid, although, like Johnny's, don't feel like I got their best. They told me they were having to shut down for a couple weeks soon, so maybe they were low on stuff/effort. My panned rabbit wasn't particularly noteworthy this time around.
Felix's - very good chargrilled oysters, probably better than Antoine's and certainly more affordable.
Harrah's - fucked me hard. $25 minimums, but I actually had better luck at the $50 tables with fewer riff-raff.

Looking forward to my next trip when I can hit up GW Fins, Commander's Palace, and more of the places y'all have recommended... but hopefully staying in the Garden District from now on.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

Yes. The mayor made the announcement Friday evening, and by Saturday, everyone was requiring one to be worn indoors, sometimes even while I had a drink in my hand. 

Tipitina’s, d.b.a. and Maple Leaf announced they’d be required vaccination proof and I’m seeing quite a few other places follow suit. 

3 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

Tipitina’s, d.b.a. and Maple Leaf announced they’d be required vaccination proof and I’m seeing quite a few other places follow suit. 

Good. Planning to go to Jazzfest in Oct, was wondering what the response was there. 

13 minutes ago, hornian said:

Good. Planning to go to Jazzfest in Oct, was wondering what the response was there. 

I’ll be there for the full week - no update from the organizers yet on delta implications, but would definitely like a vax requirement. I’m not too worried about Jazz Fest just yet, but the city may need to delay the beginning of the second line season, which begins Labor Day. Just really want to see Galactic at Tip’s almost 18 months after they were supposed to play last.