New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

5 hours ago, elfenix said:

that's pretty clearly not molly's at the market

Molly’s Rise and Shine, Mason Hereford’s breakfast spot. It’s great (and they are doing a Night+Market-inspired crispy fried rice, one of my favorite dishes on earth), but they really need to get their liquor license. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, Fud said:

I was told to pick between Justine and Bayona for dinner. What would you go with?

Bayona is Susan Spicer, old-school New Orleans Creole from the 80’s. Justine is Justin Devillier’s (LPG) new-ish French brasserie. Much more of a party atmosphere. Both are fantastic but depends what scene you want. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 11/16/2021 at 1:50 PM, kevwun said:

Anyone been to Miss River?  It's Alon Shaya's new restaurant at the Four Seasons.  Supposed to be in the vein of Commander's Palace.

https://www.missrivernola.com/

I'm trying to figure out if we can swing a quick December trip and started looking at reservations just in case.   This place is pretty much booked solid.  But definitely want to try it at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Booked a dinner reservation at Miss River for the end of January.  So far we have Brennan's for brunch, Peche for dinner, a trip to Parkway at some point and Miss River for dinner on our last night.

Spending six weeks in NOLA beginning Mardi Gras. Miss River is one of the top places on my list so looking forward to reviews. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 12/1/2021 at 12:46 PM, kevwun said:

Booked a dinner reservation at Miss River for the end of January.  So far we have Brennan's for brunch, Peche for dinner, a trip to Parkway at some point and Miss River for dinner on our last night.

We're tentatively booked weekend before Christmas.  Reservations are tough but I have Herbsaint Dinner, Atchafalaya Brunch and Cochon dinner.  We haven't done Herbsaint or Cochon before (have done Cochon Butcher which was great).  I might give Miss river a call while there to see if happen to have any cancellations but otherwise look forward to your review.

On 12/13/2021 at 11:07 AM, Skipper said:

Still planning on this weekend.  Anyone have any must orders at Herbsaint or Cochon.  Those are still my current dinner reservations.

Never been disappointed with anything at either, but if I had to choose one dish... I always get the gumbo at Herbsaint and the louisiana cochon at Cochon was incredible.

Side note, if you can fit in Saint John or Chemin a la Mer, do it.  Both exceeded expectations, everything we tried was outstanding. Emeril's (in a more upscale format than before) on the other hand, was underwhelming. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Never been disappointed with anything at either, but if I had to choose one dish... I always get the gumbo at Herbsaint and the louisiana cochon at Cochon was incredible.

Side note, if you can fit in Saint John or Chemin a la Mer, do it.  Both exceeded expectations, everything we tried was outstanding. Emeril's (in a more upscale format than before) on the other hand, was underwhelming. 

Thanks. I looked at Chemin la Mer and it was booked solid.  Reservations are tough this weekend.   Saint John seems to have room.  I've made the mistake in the past of doing too big of a Saturday lunch then being too damn full (and buzzed) to really enjoy dinner. But if hungry may try to get some apps or something there to check it out.

Same storm that came through Austin and caused our flight to be delayed for 3 hours also forced Gris Gris to cancel our reservation because I guess they had us outside. Made the best of it and walked into La Petite Grocery. Shrimp and Grits for me and turtle bolognese for the wife. Both were great. Getting drunk at Ms Mae’s and waiting for the storm to blow through. 

3A733D25-4C40-4434-84E1-E3DE933FC5C1.jpeg

E2B86EA7-3408-43A2-8FC0-D2363BD1F084.jpeg
breffis

CBE506A3-95ED-4A18-A0B0-9F3E06E00BA7.jpeg

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2021 at 1:26 PM, Redneck Mutha said:

Saw this thread was bumped and forgot to come back to it post-trip.   So we ended up making a move to Saint John for a later brunch as after a late Friday night had no desire to make it over to Atchafalaya at 10AM.    Saint John was indeed awesome.  So thanks for that rec.   Herbsaint (dinner Friday) was also amazing.  Cochon Saturday night was just ok.  Nothing was bad but nothing was great either (food or service).  I'll stick to Cochon Butcher.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just booked a trip for the first week in Feb (happy birthday to me!).  I've stayed in every Bonvoy property around the area except the W.  Love that location, so I figured I'd give it a shot.  Wife (no pics) requested Arnaud's and then told me the rest was up to me.  Hmm..... 

Been three years since I’ve been to New Orleans but reading this I’m going to plan a trip in 22.

Some of my favorites:

Commanders Palace. I first ate there when Prudhomme was the chef, then Emeril, Jamie Shannon, and onward. Timeless. I love the place.

Jacque-Imo. It’s like the perfect counter to CP.

Domilise’s. Shrimp po boy fully dressed.

Bayona. Susan Spicer was a rock star in the 90’s and it’s been awhile since I ate here. She’s always been cutting edge.

Dickie Brendan’s Steakhouse. They do a ribeye topped with NOLA bbq shrimp. Goddam it’ll knock your dick in the dirt.

• Like 1

I’ve already made reservations for Le Petit Grocery and Compere Lapin for the March trip and they both require proof of vaccine. Not sure if that’ll still be the case when we get there if the numbers drop is into another valley. 

No restaurant required vax proof when we were there Fourth of July weekend in 2021. But we were a couple weeks ahead of the Delta outbreak and read that most of the restaurants starting requiring proof of vax toward the end of the month.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

It was 90% for us 2 weeks ago. 

Same. I actually don't recall any bar or restaurant that didn't ask for proof of vaccine so maybe 100%.  Vast majority just half glance at the pic on your phone.  We definitely did not carry around actual cards but had front and back on phone.  Shockingly, the only place that actually looked at my ID to match up with pic on my phone was a random bar on bourbon street when I needed a walking beer.

Edited by Skipper

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Same. I actually don't recall any bar or restaurant that didn't ask for proof of vaccine so maybe 100%.  Vast majority just half glance at the pic on your phone.  We definitely did not carry around actual cards but had front and back on phone.  Shockingly, the only place that actually looked at my ID to match up with pic on my phone was a random bar on bourbon street when I needed a walking beer.

Domilise’s is the only place I believe we weren’t asked outside of the Quarter. Ms Mae’s even asked us and was shut down the next day because of a positive on staff. They were definitely taking it more seriously than Austin. 

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

I’ve already made reservations for Le Petit Grocery and Compere Lapin for the March trip and they both require proof of vaccine. Not sure if that’ll still be the case when we get there if the numbers drop is into another valley. 

No restaurant required vax proof when we were there Fourth of July weekend in 2021. But we were a couple weeks ahead of the Delta outbreak and read that most of the restaurants starting requiring proof of vax toward the end of the month.

There’s a vaccine mandate for bars and restaurants in Orleans parish, and as of Monday it’s for everyone over 5. It was just extended through Mardi Gras, March 1. 

27 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

There’s a vaccine mandate for bars and restaurants in Orleans parish, and as of Monday it’s for everyone over 5. It was just extended through Mardi Gras, March 1. 

Correct.  5 and up, proof of vaccination or negative test (PCR or Antigen) in prior 72 hours.  Was for 12 and up, but changed January 3.  They clearly wanted to get past NYE and the Sugar Bowl before updating.

Only require one shot, which is kinda funny.   It can be from an hour before.  Starting in Feb, its 2 shots.

6 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

I'm pondering a long weekend with my wife in early Feb in NOLA, so I'm curious what you mean by vax mandate for bars and restaurants. Do you mean you have to wear them until you're sat, or is it something more strenuous? 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I'm pondering a long weekend with my wife in early Feb in NOLA, so I'm curious what you mean by vax mandate for bars and restaurants. Do you mean you have to wear them until you're sat, or is it something more strenuous? 

Yes, like 4th&Five mentioned, you just show your card and ID to the hostess or bartender once you are sat. I understand the practicalities of what LaToya is up against, but I find it amusing you only need proof of one shot (in SF it’s fully vaxxed for two weeks, and now places are voluntarily requiring boosters). 

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Wear your vaccine card? You show your card to the hostess or bartender when you go in. 

Ha, for whatever reason, I was thinking "mask mandate" when I read "vaccine mandate". I guess, for that matter, is there a current mask mandate?

27 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Whatever it is, do it strenuously.

"I strenuously object?" Is that how it's done?

6 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Yes, like 4th&Five mentioned, you just show your card and ID to the hostess or bartender once you are sat. I understand the practicalities of what LaToya is up against, but I find it amusing you only need proof of one shot (in SF it’s fully vaxxed for two weeks, and now places are voluntarily requiring boosters). 

Yeah, my mental mistake on what you'd posted. I spent almost two weeks in NYC and France before Christmas, so I've got the vax card game down pat, for whatever that is worth and should be no big deal if we go.

1 hour ago, NOMAAA said:

what is the absolute best restuarant in town right now?  someone recommended finns a couple years back and it was incredible.  gimme the goods.

Like, overall or distinctly New Orleanian cooking? For the former:  Saint Germain is easily the best and most ambitious restaurant in the city right now, Mister Mao is the hottest among the foodie circuit, and Bywater American Bistro continues to be one of the most consistently excellent places in the city. For the latter, Peche, Brigsten’s and Clancy’s are still going strong. Personally I like Gabrielle. 

Haven’t had a chance to check out Miss River or Chemin a La Mer yet, but both look incredible and are getting a lot of buzz. 

Edit: Forgot to mention, but Saffron was the best dining experience I’ve had in NO in the past decade. 

Edited by We’reTexas

• 2 weeks later...