Fire Shaka Smart

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is tough to accomplish in four years, but I wouldn't put it past Shaka.

Shaka should definitely get at least one more year. Many of his recruits will finally be upperclassmen by then, and he'll have his best shot of any year he's been here. Fans need to realize 2 maj

Posted Images

3 hours ago, SunUvAbitchMarcos said:

Point is, there is more than talent involved and we‚Äôve seen ‚Äú all this talent...all these resources‚ÄĚ for years in the big 3 programs. It‚Äôs all coaching? Talent overrated/underdeveloped? Not the ‚Äúright‚ÄĚtalent?
Just oversimplification to say add wonder boy Coach XXX=natty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i don't know what compelled you to suddenly start posting in this forum, but you should stop.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
6 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Agreed, he’s staying through next season. I still think this is a Sweet 16 year, March is about matchups and Texas will be a handful for anyone not named Baylor or Gonzaga.

Any team who can be within 7 points with five minutes left will be a handful for Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
58 minutes ago, SunUvAbitchMarcos said:

Time will tell. If this roster is uber talented, they should be able to overcome poor coaching

riiiight. buncha kids who've been playing AAU ball their entire lives should have the seasoning, discipline, and skill to recognize and then overcome incompetent coaching. man do you know a lot about college basketball! 

3 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

If kenpom has us at 25, how do we get higher than a 6 seed?

I think we finish 5 and 5 last 10.  The remaining question for me is what place do we land in the conference?  Sixth or lower and Shakas agent will have a tough time getting that all important extension.  Let’s say team comes together, gets lucky with matchups and goes to sweet sixteen.  There Shaka gets exposed, but we lose by less than 10.  This scenario has us finishing 6  in conference.  

Now, you’re cdc in negotiations with Shaka agent.  Agent wants 2 year extension, makes his case, seems serious, has lots of facts, a solid presentation.  

Pretend baseball coach is having a tough season. It’s May or June. 

What do u do?  Do u have the balls to say no thanks, no extension.  No extension next year unless team finishes 3rd or better in conference, or something like that?  

Remember, cdc did not come across as a genius the way the Sark hiring went down.  The last thing cdc wants in 2021 is another coaching search in the big 3 sports.  

I think there is greater than 30% chance cdc caves, and agrees to a one year extension.  So yet again Shaka is saved by something that has absolutely nothing to do with his coaching ability.  The uncertainty of the new football coach and the fragility of the baseball situation impact Shaka to a degree possibly unheard of before.  

If CDC signs Shaka to an extension I will hunt you down and kill you for speaking this into existence. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I just can’t believe Shaka will be here another year. Especially if he doesn’t make it past the first or second round of the NCAA tournament. If CDC can fire Herman after the Alamo win because he didn’t think the program was headed in the right direction, he will for sure think the same thing after this year. Shaka will need to go deep in the tournament, in my uneducated opinion. Like Elite 8, maybe 16. I don’t think they’ll have Baylor Scott Drew patience. Of course, I know nothing about what I’m talking about. 

Edited by Brandywine

If he fails to get past the second tournament game, he should be fired. He's a substandard coach. Worse than Herman. He might be fine for a division II or lower school but that's about it. It's easy to see for all those who don't have some unarticulated agenda. Get him out.

48-56 in conference play, that's awful. The roster this year is talented enough to make a deep tourney run, but Shaka won't even sniff the Sweet 16.

• Like 1

Shaka has 2 years on his deal remaining. CDC extending him after this season or even listening to an extension pitch would be mind-numbingly stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, ztejas said:

Shaka has 2 years on his deal remaining. CDC extending him after this season or even listening to an extension pitch would be mind-numbingly stupid. 

Look at my scenario.  This only happens if we make it to the 2nd weekend.  People have short memories.  Nobody’s gonna remember mismanaged games etc.  The agent will most likely compare contracts, and show how many years Shakas sweet 16 peers have left on their contracts, and talk about how recruiting is tougher when players don’t know for sure coach will last 4  years, etc. 

cdc will listen.  To me this compares favorably to the Georgia football win.  Cdc will learn from past mistake or not. 

17 hours ago, Brandywine said:

I just can’t believe Shaka will be here another year. Especially if he doesn’t make it past the first or second round of the NCAA tournament. If CDC can fire Herman after the Alamo win because he didn’t think the program was headed in the right direction, he will for sure think the same thing after this year. Shaka will need to go deep in the tournament, in my uneducated opinion. Like Elite 8, maybe 16. I don’t think they’ll have Baylor Scott Drew patience. Of course, I know nothing about what I’m talking about. 

CDC did not make that decision.  

• Hook 'Em 1
34 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

and talk about how recruiting is tougher when players don’t know for sure coach will last 4  years, etc. 

This matters way less in basketball. Like, almost not at all. And I think you're overestimating how much the Texas AD actually prioritizes basketball. Shaka and his agent aren't scaring the higher ups into adding more years to a terrible contract because recruits might get scared. As if recruiting has been or ever will be our issue. 

35 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

This only happens if we make it to the 2nd weekend.  People have short memories.

Short enough to forget about 5 years of dogshit because we made the sweet sixteen? I know it isn't apples to apples but Herman just got fired for putting basically a top 16 product on the field. 

38 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

To me this compares favorably to the Georgia football win.

Except Shaka has already been extended. We're talking about after year 6 - not after year 3. 

• Hook 'Em 2
15 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah, I’m with this. 

46 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This matters way less in basketball. Like, almost not at all. And I think you're overestimating how much the Texas AD actually prioritizes basketball. Shaka and his agent aren't scaring the higher ups into adding more years to a terrible contract because recruits might get scared. As if recruiting has been or ever will be our issue. 

Short enough to forget about 5 years of dogshit because we made the sweet sixteen? I know it isn't apples to apples but Herman just got fired for putting basically a top 16 product on the field. 

Except Shaka has already been extended. We're talking about after year 6 - not after year 3. 

If you want to extend him (providing you aren't firing him which is obviously my choice) then fine- no problem- toss him another 2 year extension.  The buy out better not increase one fucking dollar though. As long as the buyout isn't going up an extension is just window dressing meaning almost next to nothing.  

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Machinator said:

Shaka has two years left on his contract. His agent won't have much leverage to push for an extension, especially if they don't make it at least to the second weekend of tournament.

Shaka might be back for 1 more year. After next year Shaka's gone.

Gotta have a new coach when TEXAS starts playing in Moody

Posted (edited)

we have more talent and experience than every team in the conference save Baylor, and yet we're middle of the pack in just about everything:

95670528-D361-468C-B1F9-8027CF7DF86A.jpeg

BUT WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THAT COMING?!?!?!

edit: our AdjD on January 6th was 87.9. to see it at 101.3 on March 1st for conference games is ridiculous. 

Edited by shadow_operative
1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Shaka might be back for 1 more year. After next year Shaka's gone.

Gotta have a new coach when TEXAS starts playing in Moody

We gotta invite him back to hang that 2019 NIT CHAMPS banner though. Texas is still the reigning #69 after all!

• Haha 1

I agree with the poster who said a deep run in the tournament would be like the Georgia win. There is just too much below standard performance in the prior years and this year sort of turned into meh after a promising start. The fight between our guards during a game was the final nail for me. Still want us to make a deep run though, of course. Hook'em.

Posted (edited)

I‚Äôm sick and tired of hearing announcers on TV saying Shaka is a ‚Äúgreat‚Ä̬†coach when his win-loss record at Texas in Big 12 clearly shows he is not.

Edited by Horn80
  • Hook 'Em 1

My feeling says we beat both Iowa st. & tcu, finishing 2 and 1 to land at 10 & 7.  That puts us in 7th place, losing tie breakers to OU and tech.  Win one, lose one conf. Tourney, we become one of the weakest 5 seeds ever, or a mediocre at best 6 seed. 

How we win 2 ncaa games in a row is a mystery, but I feel it happening.  

I don’t fucking care if he wins the national title he’s a shitty coach and should be fired. 
anyone basing hiring or firing decisions on the tournament is doing it wrong (for good or ill). That’s a single elimination crapshoot and shot can happen that doesn’t make any sense.

Its a fun way to crown a champion (my absolute favorite) but an incredibly shitty way to determine quien es mas macho. End of the day- Regular season performance shows a team and coaches quality and Smart has shown he sucks shit through a straw and no tournament result is necessary to prove that more, nor is it possible to dispel that truth. 

• Hook 'Em 1
23 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Look at my scenario.  This only happens if we make it to the 2nd weekend.  People have short memories.  Nobody’s gonna remember mismanaged games etc.  The agent will most likely compare contracts, and show how many years Shakas sweet 16 peers have left on their contracts, and talk about how recruiting is tougher when players don’t know for sure coach will last 4  years, etc. 

cdc will listen.  To me this compares favorably to the Georgia football win.  Cdc will learn from past mistake or not. 

So basically you’ve set up a straw man where there would be negotiation talks if Shaka finished 6th in conference and made it to the second weekend and then tried to give CDC credit in advance for not doing it? WTF are you talking about. Shaka’s not even getting an extension discussion  unless he goes on an absolutely crazy run to at least the Final Four, and even then it would be a horrible idea. 

On 2/28/2021 at 6:39 PM, ztejas said:

He's done it before so there is precedent.

22 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If you want to extend him (providing you aren't firing him which is obviously my choice) then fine- no problem- toss him another 2 year extension.  The buy out better not increase one fucking dollar though. As long as the buyout isn't going up an extension is just window dressing meaning almost next to nothing.  

This is the correct answer if we're doing an extension (which he certainly doesn't deserve).  Give him an incentive ladened contract with zero increase in buy out, perhaps even a buy out reduction.  Didn't Mich do that to Harbaugh in the offseason?

• Hook 'Em 1
6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He's done it before so there is precedent.

I answered this above. I don't feel like going in circles here.

• Hook 'Em 1
6 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Didn't Mich do that to Harbaugh in the offseason?

Firing Harbaugh would have cost them about $8M. They extended him for ~$4M a season through 2025, with his buyout starting at $4M and decreasing by $1M each year. 

The catch being, they are sticking with Harbaugh as their head coach. So if we want to be like Michigan football (pardon me while I go throw up in my mouth) then sure, we can kick the proverbial can down the road and hope that Shaka becomes a great basketball coach at somepoint in the next x years. Or we could just fire his ass and not waste time pussyfooting around hanging onto someone clearly not right for the job. 

• Hook 'Em 2
10 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

This is the correct answer if we're doing an extension (which he certainly doesn't deserve).  Give him an incentive ladened contract with zero increase in buy out, perhaps even a buy out reduction.  Didn't Mich do that to Harbaugh in the offseason?

Yeah he ain't getting fired, so extending him with incentives and no increase in the buyout is the best plan for Texas.

Either he does something with it or he's gone after 2022.  

I don't see why they have to do anything (if they're not willing to fire him this year). Unlike the last two years, there's been very little hot seat talk in the national media and he still has another year after '21-'22, so that should kill a lot of negative recruiting talk. The problem with Harbaugh was that he was heading into the last year of his contract.

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Firing Harbaugh would have cost them about $8M. They extended him for ~$4M a season through 2025, with his buyout starting at $4M and decreasing by $1M each year. 

The catch being, they are sticking with Harbaugh as their head coach. So if we want to be like Michigan football (pardon me while I go throw up in my mouth) then sure, we can kick the proverbial can down the road and hope that Shaka becomes a great basketball coach at somepoint in the next x years. Or we could just fire his ass and not waste time pussyfooting around hanging onto someone clearly not right for the job. 

Oh, I agree with you.  I don't want to see him extended at all, but if we DO, it better not increase his buyout $0.01.

• Hook 'Em 1
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t fucking care if he wins the national title he’s a shitty coach and should be fired. 
anyone basing hiring or firing decisions on the tournament is doing it wrong (for good or ill). That’s a single elimination crapshoot and shot can happen that doesn’t make any sense.

Its a fun way to crown a champion (my absolute favorite) but an incredibly shitty way to determine quien es mas macho. End of the day- Regular season performance shows a team and coaches quality and Smart has shown he sucks shit through a straw and no tournament result is necessary to prove that more, nor is it possible to dispel that truth. 

This is a ridiculous take. Arguably the best team in the conference the past 2 years is coached by a guy who was routinely lambasted over his first 6 years for how atrocious a coach he was. Things don't have to remain constant because you want to be right on the internet. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This is a ridiculous take. Arguably the best team in the conference the past 2 years is coached by a guy who was routinely lambasted over his first 6 years for how atrocious a coach he was. Things don't have to remain constant because you want to be right on the internet. 

putting that first bit of hyperbole aside, the rest of wulaw's post is 100% on point. my interpretation of the opening line to that post was not "CDC should fire Shaka even if he wins the NC", it was, "i don't care what we do in the tournament, Shaka still sucks and needs to go." again, the rest of his post would support this idea. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Is it my imagination, or have we had like 1 commitment over the past 2 years?  9ther than the guy we got a few months ago, I haven't seen much in the way of chatter, crystal balls, or even mentions on 247.

5 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Is it my imagination, or have we had like 1 commitment over the past 2 years?  9ther than the guy we got a few months ago, I haven't seen much in the way of chatter, crystal balls, or even mentions on 247.

Four signed players last fall. Greg was the only take in the signing class before that (didn't have that many roster spots).

• Hook 'Em 1
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

putting that first bit of hyperbole aside, the rest of wulaw's post is 100% on point. my interpretation of the opening line to that post was not "CDC should fire Shaka even if he wins the NC", it was, "i don't care what we do in the tournament, Shaka still sucks and needs to go." again, the rest of his post would support this idea. 

And if that's true, that nothing he does in the tournament matters, then that person is exhibiting more fidelity to their need to be right about Shaka being a sorry coach than what actually happens on the court.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
Posted (edited)

on this subject, ive long said that Bill Self is the best coach in CBB for this very reason. he's easily, factually, inarguably the best regular season coach in America. and at the end of the day that's what you want in a program- to be well coached and competitive every year over the long haul of a 25-30 game season.

something i've learned over the years is that most CBB fans have some pretty fucking crazy notions about the tourney and its importance. i assume that some time in the not-too-distant future we'll start to see more "random" programs (Oregon, TTU, Houston type programs) winning titles, due to the increasing parity in CBB/upswing in HS/college talent, but for now, you're either a blue blood or you have an elite coach (or both), or you really don't even have a chance to win it all. here's every tourney winning coach over the last 20 years:

Coach K- 3x 

Gary Williams

Jim Boeheim

Jim Calhoun- 2x

Roy Williams- 3x

Billy Donovan- 2x

Bill Self

Coach Cal

Rick Pitino

Kevin Ollie (lol)

Jay Wright x2

Tony Bennett

nothing but blue bloods and elite coaches are winning the tourney, which means that you have to go through those guys and their programs if you want to win one yourself. if the program that you support is not one of this handful of blue bloods/does not have an elite HC, then your focus should be 98% on regular season success, and you should be pretty fucking thrilled every time you find yourself in the second weekend of the tourney. i don't know why so many fans seemingly base 90% of their judgment of a HC on what he does in the tourney, because that's just not sensible or pragmatic at all. it's a fun, wild, unpredictable, single elimination tournament that only a handful of teams have a chance to win. what your program does in the regular season year in and year out is what you *should* be basing the bulk of your judgement on. folks just don't seem to look at it that way though. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

And if that's true, that nothing he does in the tournament matters, then that person is exhibiting more fidelity to their need to be right about Shaka being a sorry coach than what actually happens on the court.  

let me rephrase- "regardless of what happens in the 2021 ncaa tourney, i already know enough about Shaka to know that he's not fit to be the HC at UT." that was my interpretation of wulaw's opening line, based on the rest of his post. 

The possibility is so remote that it's not even worth discussing. Kevin Ollie seems to be the template for that scenario but there is no Shabazz Napier on this roster, I don't think.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The possibility is so remote that it's not even worth discussing. Kevin Ollie seems to be the template for that scenario but there is no Shabazz Napier on this roster, I don't think.

plus he took over a blue blood program with championship DNA and infrastructure. we ain't that. 

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

It’s not about being right on the internet and it doesn’t apply in particular to Shaka, it’s a generalized belief that what you do over 35 games times 5 years is more important than what you do in any 1 stretch of between 1 and 6 games. 
It’s more an argument on not letting the flimsiness or vagaries of the tournament color your opinion on the quality of the coach. 

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic