The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 hours ago, BoomMF said:

His longest tenured backline consisted of two vintage Silver Jubilees.

I mean, come on.

There aren't many shows these days where you can show up and the dude on guitar is slinging, on a slow day, half a mil of irreplaceable maple and mahogany. That's just cool to me, regardless of the music. Like, I would pay a reasonable amount of cash to walk into a museum and just look at a '59. If it's going to also make sound, that's just icing.

I think I've linked this one before, or maybe one of the reaction videos to it, but if you listen to this and aren't taken by the power, maybe it's not Bonamassa who's without soul.

And John Mayer? You're disqualified from a guitar culture conversation where Bonamassa is being categorized as being a blues lawyer with mojo-less tone if your signature guitar is a PRS. GTFOH [#sarcasm]

(caveat: John Mayer is a guitar god. One of the last remaining still putting out relevant music. But Mayer/Bonamassa isn't either/or and it should never be..)

I agree, this especially about "There aren't many shows these days where you can show up and the dude on guitar is slinging, on a slow day, half a mil of irreplaceable maple and mahogany. That's just cool to me, regardless of the music. Like, I would pay a reasonable amount of cash to walk into a museum and just look at a '59. If it's going to also make sound, that's just icing."  I've been pretty much making that argument earlier in this conversation.

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yep, he sounds great (especially when he's soloing and the camera is behind Beth Hart).

Dude, I can't recall what turned me onto Beth Hart (might be a Jeff Beck performance?), but that chick is crazy. And talented.

Edited by BoomMF
  • Like 1

I guess with Joe B is that, in my opinion, his music doesn't really have a distinct voice. So many guys, you recognize their sound immediately. If you played me his clips, I wouldn't always be so sure it was him.

Edited by Deej

15 hours ago, Celery Man said:

wait tigol, are you playing now?

Yes, I am.  I am not good.  At all.

I bought an American made Telecaster a few months back off of craigslist.  There's a pic on this thread and I'll see if I can find it.  The dude that sold it to me is retired and offered to teach me some lessons.  He'd been in a few bands and wasn't big on theory.  I took him up on that for a while and learned a few things in drop D.  He taught me a little blues shuffle that is cool from a beginners perspective.  I have a piano background and I'm having a hard time getting my brain around the guitar.  So, I thought an acoustic would give me a different perspective on learning.  Plus, I'm a bit sentimental about the Guild.

I'm picking it up tomorrow.

• Like 2

Yes, I am.  I am not good.  At all.
I bought an American made Telecaster a few months back off of craigslist.  There's a pic on this thread and I'll see if I can find it.  The dude that sold it to me is retired and offered to teach me some lessons.  He'd been in a few bands and wasn't big on theory.  I took him up on that for a while and learned a few things in drop D.  He taught me a little blues shuffle that is cool from a beginners perspective.  I have a piano background and I'm having a hard time getting my brain around the guitar.  So, I thought an acoustic would give me a different perspective on learning.  Plus, I'm a bit sentimental about the Guild.
I'm picking it up tomorrow.

Cool cool. FWIW, I took piano from 6-16, did theory, teachers guild, all that stuff. Picked up guitar at 12. Piano is/was incredibly useful broadly speaking in my musical pursuits, but the fretboard has never become a keyboard or linked up in that way for me. A lot more about shapes and positions, finger acrobatics. My best improvements on guitar have come from acoustic woodshedding , so you’ve got that going for you.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Cool cool. FWIW, I took piano from 6-16, did theory, teachers guild, all that stuff. Picked up guitar at 12. Piano is/was incredibly useful broadly speaking in my musical pursuits, but the fretboard has never become a keyboard or linked up in that way for me. A lot more about shapes and positions, finger acrobatics. My best improvements on guitar have come from acoustic woodshedding , so you’ve got that going for you.

Thanks!  That is really helpful....which is nice.

Yeah, I started formal piano lessons at age 4 and finally bailed ~ 9th grade.  I became pretty accomplished.  Keyboard theory was easy for me.

Taught myself guitar in 5th grade when Mom bought a cheap acoustic and took about 3 lessons.  I grabbed the guitar, her Mel Bay lesson book, and basically learned most of the  open chord fingerings, along with 2 basic barre chords.  I don't think I've gotten any better since.  I just don't think in that  nonlinear way that is the guitar fretboard.  Too many options.  If I want to play A 440 Hz on a piano, there is exactly one key I can hit.  Guitar?  It's a smorgasbord.

I don't know much about natural talent but I know I don't have it. I practice almost daily, sometimes in earnest, but too often in my lazy zone playing comfort stuff, often discovering I'm doing it wrong. My stepmother played piano, wish I'd taken her up on lesson offers for the discipline involved.

I've never been drawn to Bonamassa blues stuff. I have tried to watch his many concert videos, but can't hang. But I really like his work with Black Country Communion.

Anayway, hopefully, Joe Bonamassa talk soon going away...exept for looking at his epic guitar collection.

Joe wins.

Joe-Bonamassa-Gibson-Guitars1.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DougO said:

I've never been drawn to Bonamassa blues stuff. I have tried to watch his many concert videos, but can't hang. But I really like his work with Black Country Communion.

Anayway, hopefully, Joe Bonamassa talk soon going away...exept for looking at his epic guitar collection.

Joe wins.

Can't buy happiness?....hold my beer

Bass is a very fun instrument, especially playing in a group.

Guitar... I’ve never been one for mastering all the scales and positions and making a study of the fretboard. My improvement has come from learning new songs. There was a bit when I was making an effort at learning a new song every week. Or I was in a big Townes thing for a long time and kinda sorta learned some of those (goddamn fingerpicking and songs in the “fuck it” time signature). Lately it’s been Isbell. And typically I learn some little thing, some different take on a chord or a way to walk up to it or hammer on an interesting note, or cheat a bit to make a chord change smoother, or whatever. And then that thing is in my guitar lexicon, and I’m a little better. And on to the next song.

• Like 4

Bass is a very fun instrument, especially playing in a group.

Guitar... I’ve never been one for mastering all the scales and positions and making a study of the fretboard. My improvement has come from learning new songs. There was a bit when I was making an effort at learning a new song every week. Or I was in a big Townes thing for a long time and kinda sorta learned some of those (goddamn fingerpicking and songs in the “fuck it” time signature). Lately it’s been Isbell. And typically I learn some little thing, some different take on a chord or a way to walk up to it or hammer on an interesting note, or cheat a bit to make a chord change smoother, or whatever. And then that thing is in my guitar lexicon, and I’m a little better. And on to the next song.

Play us some Lungs, why don’tcha!! Or some Talking Thunderbird Blues.

23 hours ago, DougO said:

Joe wins.

Is that a sitar in the back left?   

DISQUALIFICATION! FATALITY111!!!

Won’t be buying any more Hercules stands. The center mechanism failed the other day and dropped three guitars straight to the floor. Luckily I was standing there and caught the Taylor (not pictured), and the other guitars didn’t sustain any damage.

d3dc40274eab65b131a3a6dbdb2666e5.jpg

I needed a sign to hang them all on the wall anyway.

I have something similar to this... it's not the Hercules version.  I also think I paid like 30 bucks for mine.  

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GS525B--hercules-stands-gs525b-5-space-guitar-rack

My guitars usually live in the cases, but if I'm working on a project or playing with a band, you can put 5 or 6 guitars on it, including acoustics.  

I have something similar to this... it's not the Hercules version.  I also think I paid like 30 bucks for mine.  

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GS525B--hercules-stands-gs525b-5-space-guitar-rack

My guitars usually live in the cases, but if I'm working on a project or playing with a band, you can put 5 or 6 guitars on it, including acoustics.  

Those are cool but I want them up off the floor.

Someone in Atlanta pick this up:

https://letgo.onelink.me/O2PG/73cbecfc

Your posts about piano vs. guitar make sense!  I've had a bit of a breakthrough.  Working through some A chords and a light bulb went off.  The acoustic is really helping me piece things together.  This beater has a really nice sound (to me).

• Like 1

If John Mayer is the recognized ombudsman of guitar culture, maybe I should take up bagpipes or accordian. I've mainly known of him for his fake-voiced douchebag culture.

I felt this way 100% and then a friend took me to see The Dead & Company and I thought, “Hey, that douchebag isn’t sounding so douchey anymore. He’s actually pretty good and fitting in with the band. And why haven’t I ever gotten to see Jennifer Love Hewitts tits?”

Then I bought another beer and enjoyed the show.
  • Like 1