The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Monday Pron. Fender releases some pretty imaginative limited editions/series every year now. My Tele was part of the Fender Rustic Ash Series, which offered Strats and Teles in classic colors but with a matte-transparent finish to let the grain show.

Here are some of the particularly unusual offerings. These are all non-custom shop releases, but rather have the "FSR LTD" Fender Special Run Limited designation or Limited Edition designation. The first pic is of the whole series (if applicable). The second is a selected guitar up close.

2013: Fender Rustic Ash Series 

56101-8f254e631a09d2d5ea3c8330a12e18d9.j

Fender American Stratocaster Rustic Ash in Satin Surf Green

afjhlough8dz2v8h8sgq.jpg

2015: Tangerine Series

fender-tangerine-strat-tele.jpg?t=144020

2015: 10 for '15 Collection

Ledition10151.jpg

American Standard Double Cut Telecaster 

421fcb30d189943998abc5728337a19e-650-80.

I also have to include this badass, the "Blackout Stratocaster"

lg_1_1_432884.jpg

2016: Fender Magnificent Seven Collection

Mag-7-2.jpg

American Standard Telecaster with Painted Headcap

6f28c701dc1401ce8ae94e750b76c5b9-650-80.

2017: Fender Exotic Collectionc62195bd50122e6c51115e42e689e397.jpg

Vintage '59 Pine Stratocaster

9cae5da3c77b05bca07ad8e8e0f8259f-650-80.

2018: Parallel Universe Series

parrell.jpg

Fender "Troublemaker." This one is fun because its name alludes to the anticipated trouble they'd get into with Gibson. They released it at NAMM, which Gibson didn't show up to this year.

fender-troublemaker-tele-2111607.jpeg

2017: Silverburst Series

N9XuSM4QnVatWzhMpRqyVh-970-80.jpg

Yeah, Mayer gets it.  

Linking back to earlier discussions, I always get a kick out of the alternate discussions about Joe Bonamassa, as he (in my opinion) doesn't get it very often.  He seems to be a very superficial player.  I was driving around this weekend listening to (gasp) FM radio and a live recording of a blues trio was on a station I flipped to.  First thing I thought was "hmmm, that sounds kinda like Stevie, but I really don't remember him having quite that tone or making those choices.  But jeez, that really sounds like Double Trouble, especially the bass.  Yeah, that's gotta be Tommy Shannon.  I guess that's Whipper Layton.  OK, maybe that's Stevie?  Weird pattern he just played there, and that tone is just a bit off, but maybe this is one of those Euro recordings when he was all drugged up?"

It was Bonamassa.

2 hours ago, DougO said:

Finally decided to order a Blackstar Fly. Look for them to go on sale next week.

Cool little amp. Sounds great for what it is. Wish I had waited until they came out with the bluetooth version, though.

Buy the extension speaker.

Edited by Deej

I don't get the Bonamassa hate.  I get that he's not the most soulful player, but so what? It's still possible to enjoy and appreciate what he does do even though listening isn't some sort of religious experience.

To wit:

I don't care what you say.  That was damn enjoyable. It even has Jack Nicholson on sax. Fuck you.

Edited by BoomMF
  • Like 3

Mayer is magnificently annoying.....I might change my mind if I saw him live as I admire the chit out of his playing. Bonamassa used to grate on me...but I've seen him twice, each time more impressed. Definitely a confident, hardworking front man...hell of a singer. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BoomMF said:

I don't care what you say.  That was damn enjoyable. It even has Jack Nicholson on sax. Fuck you.

See, I like everything BUT Bonamassa on that track.  His choices just confound me.  For instance, everything seems really tasty and well played, and then right before the vocal comes in he hits this fucked up interval at 0:56, and it throws everything off in my mind.

Don't get me wrong, I'd give my left nut to be able to play like he does, but it's all just a little too calculated for me.  That said, I hardly "hate" him.  He's a great player.

And that song is fucking brilliant.  Wow, I need to learn more about that singer.  Seems like he's been a big deal in Australia for decades, but somehow I missed him.  (I see he even worked with Charlie Sexton among dozens of other prominent musicians.)

14 hours ago, BoomMF said:

I don't get the Bonamassa hate.  I get that he's not the most soulful player, but so what? It's still possible to enjoy and appreciate what he does do even though listening isn't some sort of religious experience.

I've defended Bonamassa here. He definitely stands on a firm foundation of Hendrix, SRV, Page, and the Kings (BB, Albert, Freddie), but I hear a lot of originality in his playing. I disagree that he doesn't have his own sound.

31 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

I've defended Bonamassa here. He definitely stands on a firm foundation of Hendrix, SRV, Page, and the Kings (BB, Albert, Freddie), but I hear a lot of originality in his playing. I disagree that he doesn't have his own sound.

He does have his own sound.  It seems a little more of a hybrid between straight blues and a hard rock approach.

I believe the Player series is made in China. Some people already like the build quality than MIM, though the materials are generally a bit better on Mexico models.

I really don't like the look of the Pau Ferro. Never played on it, but the lighter color really doesn't jibe well with the look of most guitars. Maybe if they stained it darker it would be fine.

I believe the Player series is made in China. Some people already like the build quality than MIM, though the materials are generally a bit better on Mexico models.
I really don't like the look of the Pau Ferro. Never played on it, but the lighter color really doesn't jibe well with the look of most guitars. Maybe if they stained it darker it would be fine.

These are all made in Mexico. They are replacing the old MIM models with these.

I agree with the Pau Ferro statement. It looks okay sometimes, but I like maple anyway.

OK, I see. The Modern Player series is the Chinese stuff. I see now some Classic Player is higher end and made in Mexico. This is a new designation, so I wonder if they're blurring the distinction even more, or if this is a different price range and how it relates to the Standard series.

21 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Is that anything like a Parker Fly?

I nearly bought one of those a year or two ago used. It was the familiar shape but with a Tele setup, cheaper  import model. It felt really nice, but I couldn't get over playing a tele style guitar that looked like a Parker Fly.

5 minutes ago, DougO said:

I nearly bought one of those a year or two ago used. It was the familiar shape but with a Tele setup, cheaper  import model. It felt really nice, but I couldn't get over playing a tele style guitar that looked like a Parker Fly.

I love the Parkers. Very ergonomic. But the neck on the one I tried not too long ago was very skinny. I had a Nitefly about 20 years ago and its neck was more average. 

I kinda regretted not buying it. It was cool, felt great, and it was like $400 or something. I just didn't want anyone to ever see me playing it. Anyway, went back a couple of weeks later having it in the bach of my mind and it was gone.

11 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

Mayer is magnificently annoying.....I might change my mind if I saw him live as I admire the chit out of his playing.

For me, it's his voice.  No issue with his playing.  Especially with Dead & Co., he's done a good job copping those Garcia licks, but then he opens his mouth and ruins Althea for me again and again. 

7 hours ago, Equinox said:

Has anyone here ever ordered a guitar from the UK? If so, what was shipping and did you have to pay VAT? There's a certain PRS guitar that I'm interested in but they were only released in the EU.

Not a guitar but other stuff. Shipping is usually high. You don’t pay VAT but depending on how the shipper lists the value you could pay customs. It’s figured off of what you pay for the item. 

Most of the time it is not an issue. 

I can't stand Mayer's voice and I'm not a fan of his playing.  All I hear is blues cliches and shit he's ripped off from other guitarists, like SRV.   He has execution chops, but little originality, IMO.   I appreciate what he's doing for the Dead's music, and have seen him live twice now, but I just can't get into him. 

19 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

I can't stand Mayer's voice and I'm not a fan of his playing.  All I hear is blues cliches and shit he's ripped off from other guitarists, like SRV.   He has execution chops, but little originality, IMO.   I appreciate what he's doing for the Dead's music, and have seen him live twice now, but I just can't get into him. 

He pulls a lot of it off from what I've seen (Slipknot is a good example).  But a lot of what would have been improv for Jerry or some of the guys who have stood in for him over the years (Trey comes to mind), the improv isn't there and he resorts to some complex, yet repetitive runs that are grating to me as the show goes on. 

Again, the guy is more of a guitar player than I'll ever be, but apart from technical chops, it's not terribly interesting.  And I have a better voice.

Edited by dcbc

13 hours ago, CTC2 said:

Not a guitar but other stuff. Shipping is usually high. You don’t pay VAT but depending on how the shipper lists the value you could pay customs. It’s figured off of what you pay for the item. 

Most of the time it is not an issue. 

Cool, thanks. But I may have found what I'm looking for in Canada.

13 hours ago, Equinox said:

Cool, thanks. But I may have found what I'm looking for in Canada.

Never mind. Second fucking time I've gone to pull the trigger on something only to find out they haven't updated their website in months. Fuck these people.