The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I was hoping to hear you got arrested sneaking into the master bath.

I got thrown out of Graceland and told to never come back.

I love Elvis. He was fantastic. And while touring his place, I decided I wanted to swim where he swam. So I stripped my clothes off and jumped in. Security came shortly lol.
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I got thrown out of Graceland and told to never come back.

I love Elvis. He was fantastic. And while touring his place, I decided I wanted to swim where he swam. So I stripped my clothes off and jumped in. Security came shortly lol.

No way!!!! LMFAOOOOOOOO

also the pool was really small

Edited by Bogeywon

The PRS advocates will love this clip, as will anyone else with a modicum of taste.  Holy smokes, David Grissom has to be just about the best rhythm guitarist I have ever heard, perhaps only topped by Eddie Van Halen.  David's playing is always impeccably on point.  Add in Malford, and Double Trouble, and I guess David Holt, yikes what a lineup.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The PRS advocates will love this clip, as will anyone else with a modicum of taste.  Holy smokes, David Grissom has to be just about the best rhythm guitarist I have ever heard, perhaps only topped by Eddie Van Halen.  David's playing is always impeccably on point.  Add in Malford, and Double Trouble, and I guess David Holt, yikes what a lineup.

Grissom also wrote that song, as well as my favorite Storyville tune, What Passes For Love.

• Like 1

Love that tune. And DG. Couple questions:

1) Who is the guy on the strat again?

2) I really love the studio version. I had the CD forever but must have lost it a long time ago. I have looked all over but can’t find any streaming service or way to get an MP3 file of the studio version, only a live version. Does any one know or have a link to where it can be streamed? Malford’s vocal is so much better on the studio version.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Love that tune. And DG. Couple questions:

1) Who is the guy on the strat again?

2) I really love the studio version. I had the CD forever but must have lost it a long time ago. I have looked all over but can’t find any streaming service or way to get an MP3 file of the studio version, only a live version. Does any one know or have a link to where it can be streamed? Malford’s vocal is so much better on the studio version.

David Holt is the other guitar player on the Strat. I don't know a lot about what else he's done. As far as streaming, I don't do that stuff, but it's on youtube.

Goddamn. What a clip. I was at UT ‘94-98 and saw them a lot - huge fan and a big part of what was a massive swell of good local music in Austin. Arc Angels, both Sextons, Storyville, Velvet Hammer, Soulhat, MC Overlord, etc etc.

Chris and Tommy never don’t blow me away… their blood pressures never even budge meanwhile they’re flat out murdering the pocket. Chris still owns/plays that purple Fibes kit (drool) and Tommy just looks like he was literally invented here on earth to hold a bass.

And whatever happened to Malford? He was such a talent and great voice. Great in the studio and live.

23 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Chris and Tommy never don’t blow me away… their blood pressures never even budge meanwhile they’re flat out murdering the pocket. Chris still owns/plays that purple Fibes kit (drool) and Tommy just looks like he was literally invented here on earth to hold a bass.

I'll go to my grave saying Tommy Shannon has the greatest bass tone of all time.  It is huge.  And Whipper, what a pocket, as you say.  He seems like he's playing the most basic stuff in the world, but 99% of drummers could never get that groove.  It's effortless.

And whatever happened to Malford? He was such a talent and great voice. Great in the studio and live.

I'm "friends" with Malford on Facebook -- it appears he spends a lot of his time in Scandanavia, creating music.  I don't know the guy, though.

• Like 1

For my old man yells at cloud moment for today, one thing I can say is kids these days have no idea how good they have it. Entry level guitars when I was a kid were such abject shit, they were close to unplayable. The gap between nice and entry has shrunk so much now it blows my mind.

Throw in YouTube and little modeling amps like the Spark and Katana Air and wow.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Grissom played with Joe Ely here.... very small venue ( <50 seats )....as Baker said about Clapton, the guy has perfect time. Filled every spot that needed filling. Played a PRS gold top. Malford is sorta marriage based out of here now. 

Tempting price at Adorama for the Lake Placid blue Strat or Tele, $549, a hundred lower than they usually put it on sale for. Go through the Slickdeals link.

https://slickdeals.net/f/16166665-fender-limited-edition-player-stratocaster-or-telecaster-electric-guitars-lake-placid-blue-549-each-free-s-h?src=fa-b63fcaf268924e99a85b3cfb8993bda9

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

Followed the link and came across this gem. 

Anyone looking to start a niece or nephew on guitar? 

$150 for a Squire strat and a full kit of accessories plus a year of Fender Play lessons. 

https://slickdeals.net/f/16150147-sign-up-for-a-year-of-the-fenderplay-app-get-a-free-electric-guitar-starter-pack-with-amp-stand-cable-strap-picks-149

https://try.fender.com/play/free-guitar/?clickref=1011lwiik4wI&utm_source=kee2bymocha&utm_medium=referral

2B0C0811-C56D-4C33-AAA4-45C965020FA9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, locodos said:

Interesting how casually he treats his guitars and apparently how often they get their equipment stolen.

i need to read that chapter of our band could be your life again. he's such an interesting kind of middle aged dude. and seems so chill compared to... I feel like the story from the book was that he was a bit of a raging asshole. I still need a jazzmaster.

man if you tour much in a van your shit will get jacked. never get the trailer with a side door, always back up it up against a wall. Hahaha, my wife's old nonprofit (before we moved) had their big fundraiser on the last saturday before everything shut down for covid. We went back to their office to help them unload all of their equipment, and there was some sort of problem where some stuff had to stay in the trailer and there was no padlock and nobody could figure out what to do and then I was the wizard who took the van to a corner of the lot and just backed it up so that the door was a half inch from the wall. that was some proto-dad shit.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Looking for some advice on practice gear. I am trying to get back into playing bass so I want some practice headphones so I can play without disturbing the neighbors. But, I want to be able to play along with music from my phone. So I need headphones that I can hear both my bass and Bluetooth music on. Any ideas how to make this happen? Guitar Center bro off Mopac was unhelpful.

Does your amp have an input jack?  Easiest option would be to plug your phone into the amp and then use amp headphone output to hear both your music and the bass.

However, this is the page where we help you spend money, so I would suggest this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WazaAirBass--boss-waza-air-bass-guitar-wireless-headphone-amp

Edited by topochico

Does your amp have an input jack?  Easiest option would be to plug your phone into the amp...

No output on my phone, so would have to be bluetooth. Could I get away with something like a bluetooth->aux adapter, then plug that into a Vox amPlug 2 that goes to headphones?

I know bluetooth multipoint headphones exist, but from what I read there's no good way to go out via bluetooth from the bass (too much lag).

Looking for some advice on practice gear. I am trying to get back into playing bass so I want some practice headphones so I can play without disturbing the neighbors. But, I want to be able to play along with music from my phone. So I need headphones that I can hear both my bass and Bluetooth music on. Any ideas how to make this happen? Guitar Center bro off Mopac was unhelpful.

Positive Grid Spark Amp solves all your problems.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Yeah its pretty nice for that.
[mention=1334]Hunchback[/mention]does your phone not have a USB C jack? You can output through that
Ah, OK. Yes, it does. I was assuming the standard 3.5mm out. Of course they make adapters for that too I guess.

Positive Grid Spark Amp solves all your problems.
Cool, thanks for the suggestion! I'll check it out.

18 hours ago, DougO said:

Tempting price at Adorama for the Lake Placid blue Strat or Tele, $549, a hundred lower than they usually put it on sale for. Go through the Slickdeals link.

https://slickdeals.net/f/16166665-fender-limited-edition-player-stratocaster-or-telecaster-electric-guitars-lake-placid-blue-549-each-free-s-h?src=fa-b63fcaf268924e99a85b3cfb8993bda9

FYI…

These are 2020 guitars. Just a heads-up in case anyone was thinking that it might be a 2022. (I know because I just checked the back of the headstock on my Strat.)

The only drawback of the 2020 Player Strat (and I assume the Tele as well) is the the fretboard edges are not really rounded. They are not sharp, like the edges of the Squier Classic Vibe Lake Placid Blue* Mustang neck is hat I spent a couple of hours gently sanding into rolled edges last night as I listened to podcasts about the USMNT’s World Cup roster announcement… but they are not rolled. And they are not a dark wood that you can sand. They are under a layer of shellac. (If that is still a word.)

*The Fender Player Strat “Lake Placid Blue” and the Squier CV Mustang’s LPB are not the same color. 

The Fender seems to be a little aqua-ish. In certain light there can be a subtle hint of green water in that sparkly blue. No such thing in the CV Mustang. 

Edited by Napoleon

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

FYI…

These are 2020 guitars. Just a heads-up in case anyone was thinking that it might be a 2022. (I know because I just checked the back of the headstock on my Strat.)

The only drawback of the 2020 Player Strat (and I assume the Tele as well) is the the fretboard edges are not really rounded. They are not sharp, like the edges of the Squier Classic Vibe Lake Placid Blue* Mustang neck is hat I spent a couple of hours gently sanding into rolled edges last night as I listened to podcasts about the USMNT’s World Cup roster announcement… but they are not rolled. And they are not a dark wood that you can sand. They are under a layer of shellac. (If that is still a word.)

*The Fender Player Strat “Lake Placid Blue” and the Squier CV Mustang’s LPB are not the same color. 

The Fender seems to be a little aqua-ish. In certain light there can be a subtle hint of green water in that sparkly blue. No such thing in the CV Mustang. 

The color you are describing sounds more like the newer Player's Series color, Tidepool. They dropped Lake Placid as one of their standard colors after they left the Mexico Standard moniker behind and introduced the Players series in its place several years ago. I'm not saying your comments are not accurate at all. I'm sure you're right. Adorama, at least at one time, was promoting the Players "Lake Placid blue" as a special exclusive thing for them. 

As far as the glossy finish on maple fretboards, I hate that as well. That feature made me NOT buy certain Fender guitars. I couldn't remember when they went from one to the other, whether it was from Standard to Players or vice versa, or if it was something else. I wasn't even thinking about it when I posted the link, so that's good to know. 

Some folks like the Standard better, some like the Players better. I haven't owned either one. It's still a nice price, though. It makes sense that it would be a 2020 guitar and I bet Adorama bought a crapload of them, since that's pretty much a 2016-ish sale price. 

^ it is in between LPB and Tide Pool. 

I love it and definitely prefer it to the Tide Pools I’ve seen online, but haven’t seen a Tide Pool in person and guitar colors can definitely vary from what is scene online. 

Ex: Squier CV Mustang’s “Sonic Blue” looks like “Seafoam Green” on the Fender site:

4C2EF41A-9317-47E5-B03E-3BE3ABC5BF58.thumb.png.6b318dbe391ab9bdc206f9410bbd093b.png

https://www.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/mustang/classic-vibe-60s-mustang/0374080572.html

Is it “Sonic Blue”? Or is it green?

21 minutes ago, G650 said:

Fender has been playing fast and loose with color names for 60 years y'all

Yeah, I think it was only a year ago I found out my 1990 telecaster wasn't yellow.  It apparently is "vintage white."  Sumbitch looks yeller to me.

yellow-tele.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

If the neck is too glossy for you, there is a simple remedy. Cheap and works well.

Just knock as much gloss down as you like. 

Screenshot_20221110_212538_Chrome.jpg

I did that on my 52 AV tele.  The nitro on the neck was pretty tacky still when I bought it.  It was miserable to play.  So I held my breath and worked the neck over lightly with the green Scotch Brite.  Really did the trick, but it occasionally will need a good wipe down with a polishing cloth.  Some day it will feel perfect like my older guitars or my 2014 Les Paul Traditional, which showed up playing about as well as anything I own.

Edited by dcbc

22 hours ago, Napoleon said:

FYI…

The only drawback of the 2020 Player Strat (and I assume the Tele as well) is the the fretboard edges are not really rounded. They are not sharp, like the edges of the Squier Classic Vibe Lake Placid Blue* Mustang neck is hat I spent a couple of hours gently sanding into rolled edges last night as I listened to podcasts about the USMNT’s World Cup roster announcement… but

[the FRETBOARD EDGES] are not rolled. And they are not a dark wood that you can sand. They are under a layer of shellac. (If that is still a word.)

…If the neck is too glossy for you, there is a simple remedy. Cheap and works well.

14 hours ago, Deej said:

Just knock as much gloss down as you like. 

Screenshot_20221110_212538_Chrome.jpg

FYI- 

The Player Strat (& Tele) from Adorama have SATIN necks

The neck feels great. It is the FRETBOARD that is coated with a layer of shellac, not the back of the neck.

See, Satin…

0DBEFD31-AF54-4E8F-882F-6408D39D42B7.thumb.jpeg.8121086f8fd35e9c6e6ea660ae2edd87.jpeg

But glossy fretboard…

4B9612B9-2118-4382-A521-20FCBF1332EC.thumb.jpeg.c7cf7d633f410710bf32dc4902caa370.jpeg

and the edges…

09E4BDBD-ADD8-4064-9BBE-5645341965EC.thumb.jpeg.166d4d67f2c2b6734c494cdf4ad48809.jpeg

70018E5B-0950-405C-8A0F-BCA85DF13433.thumb.jpeg.98666a615c7695918911a8ddfa39a6a1.jpeg

And here is what the color looks like under those modern bulbs next to a window on an overcast & rainy day in Dallas. 

120B3027-4D45-43D0-A17F-95C88D263D74.thumb.jpeg.a42dfa51ff55c7d469a9d5341e4af83c.jpeg

Actually, it looks a tad lighter than that, but the phone’s camera doesn’t quite capture it right. 

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, Napoleon said:

^ it is in between LPB and Tide Pool. 

I love it and definitely prefer it to the Tide Pools I’ve seen online, but haven’t seen a Tide Pool in person and guitar colors can definitely vary from what is scene online. 

Ex: Squier CV Mustang’s “Sonic Blue” looks like “Seafoam Green” on the Fender site:

4C2EF41A-9317-47E5-B03E-3BE3ABC5BF58.thumb.png.6b318dbe391ab9bdc206f9410bbd093b.png

https://www.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/mustang/classic-vibe-60s-mustang/0374080572.html

Is it “Sonic Blue”? Or is it green?

Colors like those also have a bit of reflective stuff in them so part of it can be the room and lighting you are in. It's definitely preferable if you get to see a guitar in person to see exactly what it looks like as opposed to ordering something and hoping for the best.

4 minutes ago, DougO said:

Yeah, I hate the glossy fretboards. They feel too sticky to me.

I like the glossy fretboard on my Tele, but that may be due to the frets being so smooth that my mind is confusing the smooth glide over the frets with the smoothness coming from the glossy fretboard. 

The frets just seem better than the ones of my budget guitar buys and the Fender strings s em to be better than the other strings I’ve put on other guitars (D’Addario Nickel Wound XL120 9/42).

In general, really happy with the purchase.

Early on, I was on team maple,  Being a pretty remedial player, i.e. a "rhythm guitarist", the stickiness didn't come into play, and I liked how bright the maple sounded.

I've slowly morphed to rosewood necks, just because the dry feel is so much better.  And, a fret job isn't an impossibility.  The guy who used to work on my guitars looked at me like I was from Mars when I asked if he could replace some frets on my maple-necked Strat -- "dude, just buy a new neck".

• Like 1

On my strat the guy that works on it did his thing where he sanded all the shellac off with something, planed the fretboard perfectly true, covered back with carnuba wax or something to seal it, and then put big frets on (I love big fretwire).

Hands down the best electric neck I’ve ever played. After 35 years of playing at the time I honestly didn’t know a guitar could play like that when I got it back. I’d put it up against any custom shop whatever any time.

037cc30f6c8c209bfdeb144931f1f1b4.jpg

He just did something similar on my #1 acoustic neck and it’s just so damn good.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I like the glossy fretboard on my Tele, but that may be due to the frets being so smooth that my mind is confusing the smooth glide over the frets with the smoothness coming from the glossy fretboard. 

The frets just seem better than the ones of my budget guitar buys and the Fender strings s em to be better than the other strings I’ve put on other guitars (D’Addario Nickel Wound XL120 9/42).

In general, really happy with the purchase.

I bought the Adorama  Lake Placid Strat for my son several years ago.  I always wondered why the Adorama version was so much cheaper than other Player Series Guitars.   His is not heavy and played great right out of the box.  I heavily considered buying the Lake Placid Blue Tele from Adorama at the old price.  But just didn't pull the trigger because I wasn't sure I'd end up playing it much so I decided to wait and snap up a cheap used guitar instead. 

But if I hadn't already bought something, I would roll the dice and snap that Tele version up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

On my strat the guy that works on it did his thing where he sanded all the shellac off with something, planed the fretboard perfectly true, covered back with carnuba wax or something to seal it, and then put big frets on (I love big fretwire).

Hands down the best electric neck I’ve ever played. After 35 years of playing at the time I honestly didn’t know a guitar could play like that when I got it back. I’d put it up against any custom shop whatever any time.

037cc30f6c8c209bfdeb144931f1f1b4.jpg

He just did something similar on my #1 acoustic neck and it’s just so damn good.

👆
How to tell people you’re colorblind without telling them that you are colorblind.