The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I've been saying it here for a while, the future if Rock and Roll is female. Look at jj's daughter's band. Almost every local / small bill i see has at least one female band on it and usually at least one female member in most of the other bands.

I remember reading there was a big spile in guitar sales to women shortly after Taylor Swift broke, and I credit her with starting that revolution. I have nothing to back that up and I'm not very familiar with her music.

Having just seen Larkin Poe live I can’t argue.
Get a Silver Sky. It's so good that Leo Fender built a time machine to travel forward in time and steal the design. 

Doing the thing that all the old guys hate is very rock n roll.
  • Like 1

I'm not surprised at the number of ladies buying guitars. Seems like every time I visit youtube or social media shares there are more hot chicks playing the hell out of guitars, or young girls playing complex stuff better than almost all of us could.
I'm not sure who or what inspired it, specifically, but it seems like a real thing over the past several years.
 Maybe cheap ukuleles are a gateway drug.

Just put out her first EP:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChSP7fzOydd/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

What have their been several variations on string trees on Strats? The 50s CV I just got has a single round one, but I think my 90s American has two. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen just one of those as well.

The vast majority are single tree. The American Standard up to the early 00s had two. And the Pluses had none because of staggered tuners.

I could actually take the trees off this one because it has had the staggered locking tuners put on it.

7 hours ago, G650 said:

Well this showed up today, pretty happy with it. Gave it some fresh strings and a quick setup and it played really really well. The nut was done right by whoever did it, it came right up to tune smoothly, almost no difference from my Plus with the LSR. The only thing I really noticed is the neck section has more shoulder which isn't great but other than that it sounds awesome. I can't complain for 900 bucks.

20221028-163515.jpg

Similar, but a little different. 

EBEA7B92-A5E2-48D5-B51B-3A16DC6ACA0C.thumb.jpeg.291fcf86d81e00662de515d85bd914bb.jpeg

I bumped up the light in post so that you can see the Lake Placid Blue

Original photo after I messed with it in post. 

45D12355-33C7-46DC-A981-E69A9A79CD00.thumb.jpeg.b9e9c1cbe182829b4ee4f298d7412844.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Similar, but a little different. 

EBEA7B92-A5E2-48D5-B51B-3A16DC6ACA0C.thumb.jpeg.291fcf86d81e00662de515d85bd914bb.jpeg

I bumped up the light in post so that you can see the Lake Placid Blue

Original photo after I messed with it in post. 

45D12355-33C7-46DC-A981-E69A9A79CD00.thumb.jpeg.b9e9c1cbe182829b4ee4f298d7412844.jpeg

Yeah I was actually looking for a LPB maple fretboard. Well actually I started looking for a LPB rosewood, then changed my mind to maple, but then I stumbled across this and it was too good of a deal to pass up. The AMM is pretty close to some of the LPBs I've seen, slightly greener. But there has been some serious variation in LPB over the years.

Any of you guys ever do mashups in a cover band? We’ve been doing a few and they’re fun. It’s been really interesting how we’ll be working on a particular song and it’ll just hit me - hey, some other song fits here too…

First one was we worked Stray Cat Strut into Hit the Road Jack. Always gets a great reaction. Kind of unexpected.

Now we’re doing House of the Rising Sun and Amazing Grace. AG sounds really cool when sung to the HOTRS chord progression. Plus the whole sin and redemption thing.

We’ve done Edge of Seventeen for a while but now we’re working on mixing in some Eye of the Tiger. I think it has potential.

The Jerry Lee Lewis thread got me thinking I might try Whole Lotta Shakin and The House is Rockin. Should be pretty easy.

Random thoughts in the guitar pron thread….

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I did find one issue, the truss rod is maxed and half stripped. The relief at the 8th fret is about .012" now, and I like more like .008". It seems to feel good to play though so I may just leave it instead of going through the fuckery of replacing the truss rod nut

14 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Seriously considering a koa Taylor 724ce. Anyone have experience with Kia Taylor’s?

Is this a Koa top or back/sides?  

My brother has a Koa (back and sides) Taylor....I think maybe a 200 series but it was a limited edition.  I sounds like a much more expensive guitar.   A coworker also has a 700 series Koa (back and sides) that sounds incredible.  Both of these have Spruce tops.  

I don’t know about KOA but a buddy of mine has a 7 series with the new bracing they came out with a few years ago and it sounds incredible acoustically.

If you are going to plug it in though, Taylor’s generally sound like ass plugged in. Some guys def get away with it but the consensus is not great. I have an old 810 that is this way. Fantastic guitar otherwise though.

6 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

Well, with comforting reassurance of Surly, this guitar found a new forever home. It’s all Koa. Played every Taylor and even some Martins and just kept coming back to this one.

I might as well sell all of my other guitars because this is the ONE (just kidding). 

51272877-F4A5-439A-8EEE-9C197D50644A.jpeg

Congrats, she is pretty.

• Hook 'Em 1

Any of you guys ever do mashups in a cover band? We’ve been doing a few and they’re fun. It’s been really interesting how we’ll be working on a particular song and it’ll just hit me - hey, some other song fits here too…

First one was we worked Stray Cat Strut into Hit the Road Jack. Always gets a great reaction. Kind of unexpected.

Now we’re doing House of the Rising Sun and Amazing Grace. AG sounds really cool when sung to the HOTRS chord progression. Plus the whole sin and redemption thing.

We’ve done Edge of Seventeen for a while but now we’re working on mixing in some Eye of the Tiger. I think it has potential.

The Jerry Lee Lewis thread got me thinking I might try Whole Lotta Shakin and The House is Rockin. Should be pretty easy.

Random thoughts in the guitar pron thread….

Mashups are fun as is messing with time signatures and tempo. I like playing Wish You Were Here in 3/4 (to the point I almost forgot how to play it right) and Man In The Box can really swing if you want it to.

The guitar player from NIN used to come back and sit in with his old Atlanta band at their bar gigs. They did a funny jazz cover of Closer and changed the lyrics to “I wanna love you like a gentleman / I wanna take you to the movies.”
  • Like 1

I just remembered i have about 2k in ETH.  I was thinking of buying a Les Paul or SG for Christmas when I come back to Austin.

has anyone put a gibson on a LONG plane trip?  AUS to Singapore is like 23 hours of planes.

Of course i spent 3k on the 2k, but you got to do what you go to do.

3 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I just remembered i have about 2k in ETH.  I was thinking of buying a Les Paul or SG for Christmas when I come back to Austin.

has anyone put a gibson on a LONG plane trip?  AUS to Singapore is like 23 hours of planes.

Of course i spent 3k on the 2k, but you got to do what you go to do.

It's a Gibson, so once you pop the headstock off, it will easily fit in the overhead compartment.

One option would be to get a quality flight case and use that for the whole trip back.

If the guitar comes with a Gibson hard case and you want to keep that instead, I would fly with the guitar in its case (headstock supported) and packed double boxed like you were going to ship it. Detuned and something between the strings and the fingerboard. Just check the box as an oversized checked box. It will be pricey ($100-150), but you will keep the original hard case clean and damage free when you arrive.  Use quality packing tape to make a "carry handle" for the box as you or the airport guys lug it around.  

The stress of hoping you may be able to carry on a nice guitar is not worth it IMHO. They are supposed to let you carry on an instrument, but I think you are at the mercy of what ever gate attendant you have the day you fly. 

I don't fly with guitars any more, but if I did have to check one, I may consider popping in an Apple AirTag just in case the box didn't arrive with me. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

They’d make you put it in the overhead or check it I bet.

If you pay for the seat, you can use it for whatever you want. 

Airlines allow you to purchase an adjoining seat for your instrument if its size exceeds the standard carry-on limit.