The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

19 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I had that exact proline stand and it is a perfectly good multi stand. You need to be a little careful putting guitars in so as not to bang them against each other, but I used it for several years, it folds up and moves easily, the foam stayed in good shape, etc.

I replaced it not long ago with a string swing guy that is nicer looking but also more compact while holding the guitars a bit more securely (from being placed such that they bump each other or move at all)

IMG_3190.thumb.jpeg.93001d7c528fdc7ac612a9973d5d0a9e.jpeg

the only thing I don't like about the A frame stands is that I always seem to have the guitar at a deeper angle, or if I have the stand in a tight corner I have to watch the placement so the headstock doesn't bang the wall. *edit* - i think doug is talking about the same thing basically

perfect timing talking about guitars out of cases - do you guys have any room humidifiers you love? just checked wirecutter and they like a Levoit that is probably bigger than I need for my office, but I want to get something where I can set desired humidity and leave it alone (which seems possible)

https://www.amazon.com/LEVOIT-Humidifiers-Ultrasonic-Vaporizer-Essential/dp/B08HS45N13?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

I'm glad you asked about humidifiers.  

What is the ideal humidity to store...say a 1930's Gibson for example?

23 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm glad you asked about humidifiers.  

What is the ideal humidity to store...say a 1930's Gibson for example?

I was looking for where I saw Isbell say a thing on this and it is here - 

everywhere I can find on the internet says 45-55, 50, 40-60, etc. So, somewhere in that range. I'm going to choose to believe that Isbell talked to someone at Martin who said 50-55 and so I'm going to try and keep my room at 50, maybe nudge it up depending on how a hydrometer fluctuates on the other side of the room. I heavily suspect that trying to nail it that precisely doesn't matter at all. I ordered this little homie, will report back

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C2GKJ9RT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I was looking for where I saw Isbell say a thing on this and it is here - 

everywhere I can find on the internet says 45-55, 50, 40-60, etc. So, somewhere in that range. I'm going to choose to believe that Isbell talked to someone at Martin who said 50-55 and so I'm going to try and keep my room at 50, maybe nudge it up depending on how a hydrometer fluctuates on the other side of the room. I heavily suspect that trying to nail it that precisely doesn't matter at all. I ordered this little homie, will report back

Thanks for posting, but the shitty  audio makes it so difficult to watch.   I'm watching, but I'm pissed. 

Oh, I'm happy you linked it.  But I would have expected Jason to have better audio.  That's all. 

I found it very interesting.  Especially the 2 million number for the Peter Green LP.

I heard Kirk and the boys laughing about the price on Stern, but I had no idea. 

8 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Oh, I'm happy you linked it.  But I would have expected Jason to have better audio.  That's all. 

I found it very interesting.  Especially the 2 million number for the Peter Green LP.

I heard Kirk and the boys laughing about the price on Stern, but I had no idea. 

It was way cheaper than that. A couple of the burst guys know the seller. It was six figures not seven.

9 hours ago, Goredho said:

20-some years ago, when it became clear I had met the love of my life, would be starting a family and needed to get serious about a real career, I sold all my gear in a stupidly symbolic gesture of mature responsibility.

What did she sell of in a symbolic gesture of mature responsibility? 

Oh, wait...

• Hook 'Em 1

Great SERIES.  I've never been a huge Rush fan.  Don't own any of their recordings but have multiple friends who LOVE them.  But I've always appreciated them.  I've never really watched an interview with Alex.  Comes off as a really great dude...and the balls on Shifty to try to do this.  Wow.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/10/2023 at 4:48 PM, Celery Man said:

This thing seems fine. It's got an app, a little janky but you can see the humidity over time. It has been effective at keeping my office +/-5% of what I set it at. I have it at 50, I think it's probably somewhere between 40-45% naturally, so it's not working that hard and the tank probably only needs to be refilled every third day. I should have bought something like this forever ago, I've always felt a little bit of "is the humidity OK?" with my guitars out a lot of the time. I'll be curious to see how it does in the winter. Usually the acoustics go away during the heater months but we'll see how it goes this year.

Shred With Shifty:  This looks like it is going to be a great serious by Chris. Really good interview to start.  

That’s really cool. Was/am a huge Rush fan. Lifeson always seemed like a good dude. They all did really.

Random story alert -
Senior year in hs in Irving in 86 - me and a buddy decided to put on a concert in the school gym to raise money for prom. School agreed to it and we ended up having the first free prom in school history as a result. We called it Senior Aid. I think we had seven bands or something. Some dude my buddy knew who had apparently done sound for Blue Oyster Cult at some point did sound.

One of the tunes my band (40 Below, lol) did for that show was Limelight. For some reason one of the older dudes who’d showed me some ropes early on (invited me to jam with him and Kim Davis from Point Blank once when I was a freshman) and who was long gone from school was nonetheless hanging around our dress rehearsal in the gym. I had worked out the limelight solo on my own and when we finished he was like dude you nailed that solo! Second only to a certain someone who liked to spend time in the reclined passenger seat of my car, that is pretty much my favorite HS memory.

Of course after watching this video, I didn’t have it right. Lol. So thanks for that Hulla. /csb
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, tbone_ said:

. . . I had worked out the limelight solo on my own and when we finished he was like dude you nailed that solo! Second only to a certain someone who liked to spend time in the reclined passenger seat of my car, that is pretty much my favorite HS memory.

Of course after watching this video, I didn’t have it right. Lol. So thanks for that Hulla. /csb

Eh, in my mind it's never really worth trying to create a carbon copy of a part unless the spirit (heh) of the song requires it.  Everybody plays differently.  If you convey the general vibe of the solo, you're done, especially if it leads to more time in the reclined passenger seat of your car.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

New guitar on Monday. 

Couldn't pass up a cheap Telecaster. 

Everyone is blowing out the 40th anniversary Squier models. They were $599 new but grabbed one for 250. Gonna put new pickups in it.  

Pic is not the one coming.

750-Tele40AVSVB_angle.jpg.auto.webp

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

even for a Squier I wonder if you start taking into account that "if you open this thing without letting the temperature normalize the guitar may explode" warning that sweetwater puts on there. I was curious what the temperature is down there and shit goddamn nope

Sneaky humblebrag.

Got home and put 10's on her (came with 9s that I assume have been on it since it was made in January of 22). Tweaked the set-up a bit. Sounds good now. 

It really looks good in person. No slab of shiny poly. The satin finish is nice and goes well with the aged hardware. Ot really is kind of a poor man's Road Worn without the finish being worn through to the wood in places. Bigger neck than any Classic Vibe I've played, so that's nice. 

Pickups aren't bad, but a bit uninspiring. They will be swapped out. 

Digging the black binding more and more. It is actual binding and not just paint. 

The thing was a steal at less than $300.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I’ve always heard that place is bad ass. Drummer buddy of mine is from there. Always talks about it. I’ve posted a video here of him playing with Zack Wylde at an in store there way back in the day.

I just had a lunch hour and was scratching the surface.  You could spend a week there finding arcane instruments or memorabilia.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Wtf is Kevin Cronin doing here on the acoustic intro? I believe the song is in D, so is that open D or something weirder?

I would assume D-A-D-A-B-E and he's barring the lowest 4 strings, or perhaps just drop D and he's only barring the lower 3 strings.  Maybe he's a really shitty guitar player?

• Like 1

In Rochester, NY visiting in laws this week and just went to the House of Guitars, a fucking cool ass sepulcher of musical artifacts.  If you ever find yourself in Rochester, take your ADHD meds and pay it a visit.  It’s bad ass.  
IMG_1944.thumb.jpeg.212501746a088a4291d6095164660415.jpeg
IMG_1943.thumb.jpeg.080789e7cd0304080f33c2fb8c3457b9.jpeg
IMG_1942.thumb.jpeg.a3d68b7a3fbb5184c981ea43ffa77097.jpeg
IMG_1941.thumb.jpeg.5d5b9f507fb41eaadd88f9ae0191f7fe.jpeg
IMG_1935.thumb.jpeg.48fa6334ffd43d7ffa2e0586516d8863.jpeg
IMG_1936.thumb.jpeg.088de16f4ae3899088e60525abb835b3.jpeg
IMG_1937.thumb.jpeg.2b2202a3073a9f68508f7965da244601.jpeg
IMG_1926.thumb.jpeg.d86ade2f0acf09c470061bf48c4e5e92.jpeg
IMG_1927.thumb.jpeg.b2e579621fd107c5bd0c6a22433c1161.jpeg
IMG_1928.thumb.jpeg.c43337760eb582297dc18dac94918e3c.jpeg
IMG_1929.thumb.jpeg.18fde1ff4521984ba6190b0fcc9997c7.jpeg
IMG_1930.thumb.jpeg.a9c9ac560b4662eb9c6ff2b6c45287e6.jpeg
IMG_1931.thumb.jpeg.866297b67e95218ef13b63a393c808eb.jpeg
IMG_1934.thumb.jpeg.5edc9a0827bda5295aac57430f9f89a0.jpeg
IMG_1933.thumb.jpeg.6a6e143785cbcc7293e841c06992195c.jpeg
IMG_1932.thumb.jpeg.fb113b09c87cc5c55f8019f1a21e8263.jpeg

Oddly enough, I'm visiting Rochester next month. I'll put this on the list alongside the Garbage Plate ive been looking forward to. Dirty Years Lite will be playing a private event. Never thought I'd be so excited to see Rochester!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

DADF#AD 

Yeah, that's better than my suggestion.  Don't know why my dumb ass didn't realize it's easier to drop to F# than raise it to A.  In my defense, the next time I play in open tuning or even drop-D will be the first.

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Oddly enough, I'm visiting Rochester next month. I'll put this on the list alongside the Garbage Plate ive been looking forward to. Dirty Years Lite will be playing a private event. Never thought I'd be so excited to see Rochester!

When you go, talk to one of the owners a bit.  Tell him some music/bands you like and he’ll probably be able to point you to some authentic memorabilia.  It’s fucking bananas how much shit is there.  It’s a labyrinth of stuff, and there are actually 3 separate buildings connected by corridors that I would have missed if he didn’t give me directions.  All these pics are from building #1.

Edited by Goredho

Yeah, that's better than my suggestion.  Don't know why my dumb ass didn't realize it's easier to drop to F# than raise it to A.  In my defense, the next time I play in open tuning or even drop-D will be the first.

I was messing around with this in Drop D. Sounded decent.

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

In Rochester, NY visiting in laws this week and just went to the House of Guitars, a fucking cool ass sepulcher of musical artifacts.  If you ever find yourself in Rochester, take your ADHD meds and pay it a visit.  It’s bad ass.  

IMG_1944.jpeg

IMG_1943.jpeg

IMG_1942.jpeg

IMG_1941.jpeg

IMG_1935.jpeg

IMG_1936.jpeg

IMG_1937.jpeg

IMG_1926.jpeg

IMG_1927.jpeg

IMG_1928.jpeg

IMG_1929.jpeg

IMG_1930.jpeg

IMG_1931.jpeg

IMG_1934.jpeg

IMG_1933.jpeg

IMG_1932.jpeg

What I imagine the inside of your music shed will look like within a year or two. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When you go, talk to one of the owners a bit.  Tell him some music/bands you like and he’ll probably be able to point you to some authentic memorabilia.  It’s fucking bananas how much shit is there.  It’s a labyrinth of stuff, and there are actually 3 separate buildings connected by corridors that I would have missed if he didn’t give me directions.  All these pics are from building #1.
My pal who's from there says this store is already on the list of places he plans to take me to when I'm there. Says he bought his 1st guitar there and sent these old commercials from thr 70's - which are pretty fun.

• Hook 'Em 1