The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I don't think it would be confiscated unless you were bringing in 50 of them (i.e. intent to distribute).  

People bring back fake handbags and fake Rolexes on every flight, right?

That said, I'm totally unqualified to even speculate.  Maybe one of you secret lawyers can make a sock and answer without revealing yourself.

Best acoustic under $2k?  I've stated lessons and need a "reward" instrument for practicing hard for a year.  I won't buy one without playing it, but I want to hear pros, cons, opinions, etc.  I want a quality instrument that will last and is comfortable to play.  I'm playing an old beat-up Guild D25 from the 70's (I think).  It's a nice instrument, but I'd like to step up to something newer.

Used  Gibson J45

Martin D-15M

Martin 00-17

Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

Other suggestions?

• Hook 'Em 2

If your keeping the guild dreadnought, I might look at smaller bodied guitars to have something that’s a little different, which would lead me away from the J45.  Something OO, OOO or OM sized.  You can get a used Gibson LG 0, 1 or 2 in that size and price range.  They have a pretty distinctive sound.  I’ll describe it as toothless Appalachian poverty.  Very different than a dreadnought.

IMG_1548.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Another in a long list of weird guitars.  You know, when you try and make the thing, that looks like the other thing, it never results in an attractive thing.  But then again, I guess there's always Michael Anthony's Jack Daniels bass.

tjekimzbral2aabcg9pu.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/70294634-pre-owned-fender-custom-shop-crown-royal-stratocaster-pamelina-h-collection

Can we assume someone actually paid $12k to advertise for Crown Royal?

1 hour ago, tigol said:

Best acoustic under $2k?  I've stated lessons and need a "reward" instrument for practicing hard for a year.  I won't buy one without playing it, but I want to hear pros, cons, opinions, etc.  I want a quality instrument that will last and is comfortable to play.  I'm playing an old beat-up Guild D25 from the 70's (I think).  It's a nice instrument, but I'd like to step up to something newer.

Used  Gibson J45

Martin D-15M

Martin 00-17

Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

Other suggestions?

2K will get you a great guitar.... something that excites you.  So don't "settle."

My .02-

Yes:  Iconic brands, iconic models, traditional woods (cedar, spruce, rosewood).  I'm also pro-used instruments (polarizing topic) because I think buying used brings another layer of quality within budget - a 3K instrument that's like-new and you can get for 2K.

No:  I'm kind of anti-exotic woods.  In general, I don't think there's a huge sonic payoff.  Yes, they're more unique, but they don't have the same economy of scale in production and in my experience you're paying significantly more money for something that doesn't sound any better than the sitka spruce that we've been making guitar tops and piano sound boards out of for centuries.

In general, I like big Gibsons and small Martins, but that's an over-simplification.  My main acoustic is a Martin J-40 (fairly big-body), and I bought it used  - I think for exactly 2K, which was a very good price.  There are a few 000-28 that I've played that I like better.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

If your keeping the guild dreadnought, I might look at smaller bodied guitars to have something that’s a little different, which would lead me away from the J45.  Something OO, OOO or OM sized.  You can get a used Gibson LG 0, 1 or 2 in that size and price range.  They have a pretty distinctive sound.  I’ll describe it as toothless Appalachian poverty.  Very different than a dreadnought.

IMG_1548.thumb.jpeg.89efaf08356bdafdc8e633c479cec0ff.jpeg

I’d give this some consideration. I was always a dreadnaught guy until one day I wasn’t digging how mine were sounding plugged into my rig. Took the whole thing down to the best shop here in town and they just started handing me guitars to plug in. Probably played 20 that day. Sole focus was how they sounded from the pa speaker. Ended up with this Larrivee OM3. Liked the way it played but didn’t expect it to turn into my favorite playing acoustic ever. Would have never considered an OM or even a Larrivee before. Done tons of gigs with it and it always delivers. There’s something about the tightness and sponginess of the tone without being boomy that I really dig without sacrificing volume. I’ll never get rid of it.

5f58f5410cc75bfd6f9378841124b76f.jpg
4b3a59d8fb3c462cf1c4271a7b6ffe9f.jpeg
6d7203bac539286764492ec9411c46eb.jpeg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

And I should note that the zebra wood back and sides would probably not be Paul Wesley approved. Though I do feel bad for all the zebras that had to die to make that guitar emoji6.png

Ha ha.  The sides of the guitar are just for showing off.  The top is where the soul-stirring sound is created (that's spruce, right?).  

Edit:  ... and you've posted clips of that guitar, and I agree that it sounds glorious.

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Yes:  Iconic brands, iconic models, traditional woods (cedar, spruce, rosewood).  I'm also pro-used instruments (polarizing topic) because I think buying used brings another layer of quality within budget - a 3K instrument that's like-new and you can get for 2K.

I’d like to echo this recommendation, and give another reasoning behind it.  I’ve bought and sold a lot of guitars.  If it’s an “off” brand, I inevitably lose money on resale.  If it’s an iconic brand but new, I inevitably lose money on resale.  But if it’s a used iconic brand…. I lose a little or make a little on resale and it all evens out over a few such guitars. I basically own those instruments for however long they tickle my fancy for free.  This lets me keep a mostly fixed amount invested in instruments while cycling through guitars to find the ones I really want.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I would third the idea of used. Just play it first.

Ha ha.  The sides of the guitar are just for showing off.  The top is where the soul-stirring sound is created (that's spruce, right?).  
Edit:  ... and you've posted clips of that guitar, and I agree that it sounds glorious.

I assume spruce but honestly I’d have to look it up to be sure. There’s a little bit of grain to it that is the only thing that makes me wonder if it’s not.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

2K will get you a great guitar.... something that excites you.  So don't "settle."

My .02-

No:  I'm kind of anti-exotic woods.  In general, I don't think there's a huge sonic payoff.  Yes, they're more unique, but they don't have the same economy of scale in production and in my experience you're paying significantly more money for something that doesn't sound any better than the sitka spruce that we've been making guitar tops and piano sound boards out of for centuries.

In general, I like big Gibsons and small Martins, but that's an over-simplification.  My main acoustic is a Martin J-40 (fairly big-body), and I bought it used  - I think for exactly 2K, which was a very good price.  There are a few 000-28 that I've played that I like better.  

This is great advice all around.  I gotta say, the OOO-28 is my favorite Martin.  I have the Steve Miller model, which is essentially a OOO-28 with different inlays.  I will never need another acoustic (though it doesn't mean I'll never get another).  

I have a 1962 Gibson Country Western model that is a great guitar, but it really doesn't lend itself to lead, rather just banging out cowboy cords.  

I love both but in different ways.  But the Martin is my all around go too.  Luckily I bought it from a pawn shop in Reno and it had the new knocked off it already, so I don't mind playing it out some.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Goredho said:

if it’s a used iconic brand…. I lose a little or make a little on resale and it all evens out over a few such guitars. I basically own those instruments for however long they tickle my fancy for free.  This lets me keep a mostly fixed amount invested in instruments while cycling through guitars to find the ones I really want.

I share this philosophy 100%.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I share this philosophy 100%.  

Yup.  Let someone else take the hit of walking out of the store with a brand new guitar.  He could sell it to you in the parking lot on the way out of the store and  he'd still take a hit on the price.  

• Hook 'Em 1

A different take:  I haven't played an Alvarez Yairi in years, but the one I'm most familiar with and recorded the most was an absolute stunner, and easily the best sounding acoustic I've had in a studio setting, and that list includes a bunch of Collings, Taylors, and Martins.  This one is $1,999:

image.png.0b94eba614597daab0e4a051b69db451.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

My first 6-string was a Yairi, and I still have it.  I was probably 13 or 14 and it was lawn-mowing money.  My mother (very gifted pianist and the mainstay of the church's musicians for all my life) asked the youth pastor at our church (whose day job was in a music store) for guitar-buying advice.  He knew of a guy who was selling the Yairi, and he brought it to our house one evening.  He was very proud of it and told her, "This is a steal."  I paid $250.  I think it's a DY-52, which has same dimensions as a Martin D28.  

Anyway - the point of this story - as the decades went by, I "upgraded" to a Taylor 714 and a couple boutique-ish guitars (Larrivee, Bourgeois), and the Yairi was relegated to the closet for a long, long time.  One day I decided to restring it, and I got to shoot it out against these (also freshly restrung) instruments that cost 10X as much.  And I'll be damned if the Yairi didn't 100% hold its own sonically.  It might have been the best-sounding of the herd.  My assumption that it was a lower-tiered instrument couldn't have been more wrong.    

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

The denizens of this thread could probably author a great guitar buying guide.

Another buying truth for me (outside of the scope of Tigol's question) is to target guitars from the 90s.  They are now 25-30 years old, and so they feel old and broken in and have at least some of that ineffable mojo that you find in vintage instruments.  But you aren't paying vintage prices, and they aren't so old that you really have to be diligent to identify problems, repairs or modifications to protect your investment.  Are the frets ok? Is the neck straight?  Any cracks, or signs of a neck needing to be reset?  No?  Cool, its good.

I look for guitars that were obviously played over that 25-30 years, that look like they were a gigging musician's #1. Such a guitar is telling you that its a player, and you usually get a natural relic job that you'd pay extra for in a $3000+ custom shop instrument.  I have bought 6 custom shop instruments.  I still own two, but I replaced 4 with standard grade counterparts from the 90s that are just plain better guitars given my playing preferences.

Finally, when you go to the great gig in the sky -- your instrument is a vintage, 50+ year old guitar.  You are able to bequeath a vintage instrument to whoever you feel deserves it.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Another buying truth for me (outside of the scope of Tigol's question) is to target guitars from the 90s. 

It's definitely a total unpopular opinion, but I think that Fender produced their best guitars from '88 to '95. I do like early 60s pickups more, but in terms of quality, it's no contest. My '95 Strat Plus is hands down my favorite guitar. My '88 Tele up there too.

Gibson's from the 90s were also, very, very good instruments. So yeah I concur on buying 90s guitars.

• Hook 'Em 2

It's definitely a total unpopular opinion, but I think that Fender produced their best guitars from '88 to '95. I do like early 60s pickups more, but in terms of quality, it's no contest. My '95 Strat Plus is hands down my favorite guitar. My '88 Tele up there too.

Gibson's from the 90s were also, very, very good instruments. So yeah I concur on buying 90s guitars.

My 96 Les Paul Custom and 98 Am Std Strat full agree with this.

I’d put that strat up against any custom shop strat anywhere in terms of playability and tone.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I recently hit GC to check out some of the less expensive Martin acoustics and whatever else might work for what I would spend for a guitar I probably won't play much, but hopefully would make me want to play more. All the shit was locked up on the wall and I wasn't in the mood to go get some jackoff to unlock them and stand over my shoulder the whole time. So I took a look at all the other stuff I could actually pick up. The best acoustic guitar I could find among the bunch was a used Cort for $200. I had never even seen a Cort branded acoustic guitar before. Sounded better, played good, looked pretty nice, but it wasn't quite what I wanted. Most of the other crap in there was probably made in factories around the corner, but with more well-known brands on them.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1

For a long time, I've thought that the first 5 years or so of the Fender Custom Shop (late 80's to mid 90's) were the sweet spot of workmanship/dollar.  It seems like the care and attention that those guitars got is a lot more like the 5K+ "Masterbuilt" series guitars of today.  And until recently, those early-run Custom Shop guitars didn't have the perception of being "vintage," so you could get them for a fair price.  Maybe you still can(?).

Chad said he'd "never need another acoustic," and that's how I feel about my late-80's Custom Shop Tele (bought it used and it got relic'ed the old fashioned way) and my early-90's Custom Shop Strat (that I bought new).  

I have the Goredho approach to buying/selling guitars just to try out.  I've owned several Gibson SG and several Gretsch hollow-bodies.  Bought them all used and sold them for about what I paid.  Just never bonded to them because they didn't feel like "me."  But I'll never buy another Tele or Strat... no reason to.

For whatever reason, I don't kick the tires on acoustics in the same way.  I think that Martin J-40 is the only acoustic I've bought in the last 10 or 15 years.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Paul Wesley said:

For a long time, I've thought that the first 5 years or so of the Fender Custom Shop (late 80's to mid 90's) were the sweet spot of workmanship/dollar.  It seems like the care and attention that those guitars got is a lot more like the 5K+ "Masterbuilt" series guitars of today.  And until recently, those early-run Custom Shop guitars didn't have the perception of being "vintage," so you could get them for a fair price.  Maybe you still can(?).

Chad said he'd "never need another acoustic," and that's how I feel about my late-80's Custom Shop Tele (bought it used and it got relic'ed the old fashioned way) and my early-90's Custom Shop Strat (that I bought new).  

I have the Goredho approach to buying/selling guitars just to try out.  I've owned several Gibson SG and several Gretsch hollow-bodies.  Bought them all used and sold them for about what I paid.  Just never bonded to them because they didn't feel like "me."  But I'll never buy another Tele or Strat... no reason to.

For whatever reason, I don't kick the tires on acoustics in the same way.  I think that Martin J-40 is the only acoustic I've bought in the last 10 or 15 years.

The time machine series came from the custom shop in those years and seems to be great.  Two anecdotal pieces of evidence to support:

1.  One of my remaining two custom shops is a '63 custom shop time machine telecaster from 90-whatever.  I don't think I could get a better Tele at any price.  I certainly haven't played one.  Interestingly, it's the one reliced guitar I own.

2. Because of the above experience, I watch for Fender Time Machine teles and strats to come on the market on Reverb.  They almost never do.  People aren't letting them go.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, tigol said:

Used  Gibson J45

Martin D-15M

Martin 00-17

Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

Other suggestions?

I’m pretty sure I have a Martin D-15M (or is it a DM?) at home. If you’re in Austin and interested in checking it out, just let me know. I’d be happy to loan it out for a bit. 

• Like 2

I’m pretty sure I have a Martin D-15M (or is it a DM?) at home. If you’re in Austin and interested in checking it out, just let me know. I’d be happy to loan it out for a bit. 

Very cool! Thank you for the offer. I’ll let you know.

I will vouch, or whatever, with JJazz’s recommendation on the Yairi. I bought one in 78 as my first nice guitar, a DY-50.  I chose it over a Gibson Hummingbird which was maybe 20% more at the time.  45 years later it sits outside the “guitar room”, but rather in the tv room and gets played daily.

But, everyone is different.  Get something you have fallen in love with via playing and listening.

• Hook 'Em 2

man you ever pick up an acoustic and start playing and realize you need to trim down a nail and so you grab some clippers and it just goes plink right into the soundhole of you hd-28?

oooh 2k for an acoustic.  Did Martin's get a bunch more expensive in the past... shit man I guess it's been 7-8 years since I went on my drunken acoustic buying spree.

The biggest problem with buying used is the selection of guitars you'll be able to try. I'd definitely agree that used is a good choice. I love playing guitars but I also love collecting guitars, so I like the big iconic brands. If I was shopping with you I'd be scanning for Martins and Gibsons and dabbling in Guilds. I have 4 dreadnoughts so it's clearly not an issue for me to double down on that size, but I'd look at OOO sized guitars as well. I want a OOO-28 personally, and I love my OOO-15M. There's a big volume difference between a dread and a OOO so I'd be cognizant of that if it's something you care about as you get to O and OO guitars.

If you do go dreadnought, a Martin D-18 might be findable at 2k and would be a very classic excellent choice.

• Hook 'Em 1

man you ever pick up an acoustic and start playing and realize you need to trim down a nail and so you grab some clippers and it just goes plink right into the soundhole of you hd-28?

oooh 2k for an acoustic.  Did Martin's get a bunch more expensive in the past... shit man I guess it's been 7-8 years since I went on my drunken acoustic buying spree.

The biggest problem with buying used is the selection of guitars you'll be able to try. I'd definitely agree that used is a good choice. I love playing guitars but I also love collecting guitars, so I like the big iconic brands. If I was shopping with you I'd be scanning for Martins and Gibsons and dabbling in Guilds. I have 4 dreadnoughts so it's clearly not an issue for me to double down on that size, but I'd look at OOO sized guitars as well. I want a OOO-28 personally, and I love my OOO-15M. There's a big volume difference between a dread and a OOO so I'd be cognizant of that if it's something you care about as you get to O and OO guitars.
If you do go dreadnought, a Martin D-18 might be findable at 2k and would be a very classic excellent choice.

Good point. I have a D-18 intend to sell for probably about that.
Fwiw - my both my repair guy and the owner of the good acoustic shop here in town still say watch out for Gibson quality issues.

Any Gibson acoustic owners have any issues?
I still think im gonna sell my Hummingbird too. Slightly more though.

Both great guitars, I just never play them because they aren't my 000-28. May buy a D-28 / D-35 with the proceeds in hopes that it would be a dreadnought that sounds and plays like the 000-28. I don't know why I feel like I need to own a dreadnought.

14 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I don't know why I feel like I need to own a dreadnought.

That's like a sports car enthusiast saying he feels like he needs to own a Porsche 911.  Depending on vintage and model, it may be great, maybe not, but it's still the standard.

Nothing wrong with owning a 911 AND a Ferrari 488 AND a '63.5 split window Corvette.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Debated whether or not to share this, but here goes.

I live in a nicer area and on bulk trash days we are swarmed by recyclers and resellers going up and down the streets hunting for golden trash to scrap or resell.  I don't really care for the trucks and trailers but I'm glad they are repurposing stuff that would otherwise end up in the land fill.   Well the other day I was driving home with my daughter (who is heading off to college in the fall) and I see an acoustic guitar laid out on top of some trash bags. It looked intact so I stopped and pulled it off the pile.

This will become art in one way or another...

My plan initially was to have my daughter paint it up and use it as a wall hanger in her dorm... Gotta fill those big white walls somehow.  However my first impression is that it actually sounds pretty good, but make no mistake it's literally a piece of junk.  I haven't even checked to see if I can get it in tune, some of the tuning pegs feel frozen and if it's just going to hang on the wall then it's not worth the bother.

But now I'm trying to get her to make it a performance art piece.  If we can tune it up/ unstick the tuners have her take it on campus and learn a soulful tune.  Then take it out to the quad/union and perform her little campfire song and then WHO smash the fuck out of it in front of a crowd then walk off. (she is shy, but might do this for the lulz)

So either way, it should be a worthy project.  This is it after a quick wipe down, and yes those are cracks running down the body.   It's a Vespero made in brazil and has a serial number 1207...   Feels very light, resonant and loud.

image.thumb.jpeg.23dc7c9ddc0c88820aa1dae25aedf2dc.jpeg'

What's the verdict?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, locodos said:

Debated whether or not to share this, but here goes.

I live in a nicer area and on bulk trash days we are swarmed by recyclers and resellers going up and down the streets hunting for golden trash to scrap or resell.  I don't really care for the trucks and trailers but I'm glad they are repurposing stuff that would otherwise end up in the land fill.   Well the other day I was driving home with my daughter (who is heading off to college in the fall) and I see an acoustic guitar laid out on top of some trash bags. It looked intact so I stopped and pulled it off the pile.

This will become art in one way or another...

My plan initially was to have my daughter paint it up and use it as a wall hanger in her dorm... Gotta fill those big white walls somehow.  However my first impression is that it actually sounds pretty good, but make no mistake it's literally a piece of junk.  I haven't even checked to see if I can get it in tune, some of the tuning pegs feel frozen and if it's just going to hang on the wall then it's not worth the bother.

But now I'm trying to get her to make it a performance art piece.  If we can tune it up/ unstick the tuners have her take it on campus and learn a soulful tune.  Then take it out to the quad/union and perform her little campfire song and then WHO smash the fuck out of it in front of a crowd then walk off. (she is shy, but might do this for the lulz)

So either way, it should be a worthy project.  This is it after a quick wipe down, and yes those are cracks running down the body.   It's a Vespero made in brazil and has a serial number 1207...   Feels very light, resonant and loud.

image.thumb.jpeg.23dc7c9ddc0c88820aa1dae25aedf2dc.jpeg'

What's the verdict?

Sounds like the price was right.

20 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I know you guys have been anxiously awaiting this video

Doesn't really sound like a Tele, and someone should tell that guy Fender makes bridges that don't use 3 screws for intonating 6 strings.