The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I kind of assume tubes are like light bulbs, and they only work for so long. 

I saw Richie Kotzen once and he was playing an old vintage Marshall, and as soon as he stuck his last note his ran out and switched the amp off. My guitarist buddy next to me said “gotta save those old tubes”. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Question for the Sweetwater customers:  what's the angle for getting a sales rep who will cut a deal on a fairly pricey order?  Anybody want to lend me their rep?

You just ask. I've never had them say no to a discount.

My  rep emialed me today about some Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's that were on sale only if you called in. $2499, then offered another $300 off and $300 in store credit. Had photos of ones in stock but not on the site that had nicer tops. Some more more plain top than flame, which had me interested, plus the price was good. If they had been '50's I probably would have pulled the trigger.

awesome. like the grain on the neck, love the creme plastic and the gold knobs. curious how the... I assume that's essentially a filtertron or a filtertron-style pickup on the bridge? Curious how that and the p-90 play together. Fun guitar, at $400 it's been pretty tempting a few times.

awesome. like the grain on the neck, love the creme plastic and the gold knobs. curious how the... I assume that's essentially a filtertron or a filtertron-style pickup on the bridge? Curious how that and the p-90 play together. Fun guitar, at $400 it's been pretty tempting a few times.
That filter-tron is going to be replaced. Probably with a TV Jones. It is significantly weaker than the glorious P90 neck pickup. I LOVE that neck pickup and it still sounds really nice in the middle position. But weak.

I'll also probably replace that bridge with an adjustment wrap around at some point.

The thing is really well built. Nut width is smaller than my other guitars but I really like the neck. Best word to describe the overall guitar is smooth. Extremely happy with it.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Handcruser said:

What did you decide?

Nothing yet. Spent a long time talking with the KUTX engineer about their Gretsch Renowns.  He is super fond of them and is adamant that the heads (particularly batter) can make a world of difference on any drum.  He recommends we get Renowns with Aquarian Super Kick II (kick) and Evans G2 (tom) heads, and put the difference in cost into the cases.  Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Edited by jimmyjazz

Nothing yet. Spent a long time talking with the KUTX engineer about their Gretsch Renowns.  He is super fond of them and is adamant that the heads (particularly batter) can make a world of difference on any drum.  He recommends we get Renowns with Aquarian Super Kick II (kick) and Evans G2 (tom) heads, and put the difference in cost into the cases.  Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Agree all around - can’t go wrong with renown’s. Just bothers me that they don’t have a ton of options color wise - and I prefer wraps not stains.

Please have her put a coated head on the snare!

Get that 14x24 too!

10 hours ago, tbone_ said:

What model is that Gretsch Hulla? And Chinese or Japanese?

It is Laotian--from Laos, stupid! It's a landlocked country in southeast Asia. It's between Vietnam and Thailand, OK? Population 4.7 million.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Laotian.

I cant not die from laughing. We had a Vietnamese guy try out for the basketball team in high school.  One day in practice, he kept camping in the lane on offense. Coach went over and dragged him up from the baseline, across the free throw line, then back to the baseline, then exclaim:

"This is Laos. No go Laos!"

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2023 at 11:32 AM, tbone_ said:

What model is that Gretsch Hulla? And Chinese or Japanese?

I can never remember the numbers for Gretsch guitars.   Had to look it up.   It is the Streamliner (cheapest of their lines) but it doesn't have that on the on the truss rod cover.

They went a little overboard with the name on this one, even after the numbers.   Sticker says Made in Indonesia.  
Gretsch G2215-P90 Streamliner Junior Jet Club 

Weighs 8 lbs.  I mentioned the nut was smaller than my other guitars, but apparently it is the same as my big hollowbody Gretsch and actually a bit bigger than my tele.  I guess the skinnier neck makes if feel smaller.    I can't get over how good the P90 in the neck sounds.  

• Like 1

I have 2 dreadnoughts that I'm about ready to sell that I'll offer here 1st. PM if interested and we'll work out a Surly deal.

I bought both new and they both play and sound great and come with their original cases.

Gibson Hummingbird from around 2017 and a Martin D-18 from around 2019. I need to verify the years.

20230807_102302.jpg20230807_102314.jpg20230807_102421.jpg20230807_102430.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

On 8/5/2023 at 10:21 PM, Deej said:

I cant not die from laughing. We had a Vietnamese guy try out for the basketball team in high school.  One day in practice, he kept camping in the lane on offense. Coach went over and dragged him up from the baseline, across the free throw line, then back to the baseline, then exclaim:

"This is Laos. No go Laos!"

Where'd you go to school?  Same thing happened where I was (more or less).  I felt bad for the kid.  He had almost no English skills trying to make it in an American High School.  He would pretend like he knew some unnamed martial arts pretending to be Bruce Lee or something whenever he was catching shit.  The sheer craziness of it usually  de-escalated whatever adolescent conflict was happening at the time.  Everyone would just laugh and and walk away.  

55 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Where'd you go to school?  Same thing happened where I was (more or less).  I felt bad for the kid.  He had almost no English skills trying to make it in an American High School.  He would pretend like he knew some unnamed martial arts pretending to be Bruce Lee or something whenever he was catching shit.  The sheer craziness of it usually  de-escalated whatever adolescent conflict was happening at the time.  Everyone would just laugh and and walk away.  

I went to McCallum here in Austin. It was a different time. We all loved Coach Caldwell. He was an equal opportunity offender. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It is whatever Gibson includes in them. I found a similar one sold by Cream City that says:

Electronics: L.R. Baggs Element pickup with strap button mounted output jack. 1 x volume, 1 x tone control.

https://www.creamcitymusic.com/used-2016-gibson-hummingbird-dreadnought-acoustic-electric-guitar-in-heritage-cherry-sunburst/

The volume and tone controls are just inside the sound hole, you can see them in the pictures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

It is whatever Gibson includes in them. I found a similar one sold by Cream City that says:

Electronics: L.R. Baggs Element pickup with strap button mounted output jack. 1 x volume, 1 x tone control.

https://www.creamcitymusic.com/used-2016-gibson-hummingbird-dreadnought-acoustic-electric-guitar-in-heritage-cherry-sunburst/

The volume and tone controls are just inside the sound hole, you can see them in the pictures.

How much for the hummingbird?