The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Those were just groupies trying to sleep with you man
Honestly, it was mostly women from the beach town where we rehearse and i felt like one of them was flirting w me pretty stong right in front of my girlfriend when we were down there for a party a few weeks ago!

Maybe he's an incredible bass player and i can find a way for the V to contribute!

Honestly hope so, I really like being in The Koffs. Great guys to be around. I genuinely like them and I like being associated with them, I just dont want to be in a shitty band.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I might spend $200 on that just for wall art.

Does it actually play?

Regarding:

IMG_9330.thumb.jpeg.7b00fe27a3f0b8960d226285cb748253.jpeg

I think that their quality control is getting better, but that just from what I have read on the FB group.  I bought some FFs and then sold most of them practically brand new in 2020. Kind of COVID distraction. 

The new Compound Radius is apparently:

*9.5” to 14”
*42.03mm 1st fret & 52.20mm 12th fret

Stainless steel frets with this said about the neck:

IMG_9404.thumb.jpeg.f8a3ba875ccd35f1c10006eee47c93e5.jpeg

IMG_9403.thumb.jpeg.7440ecd0c16b849f3676343a284caa9d.jpeg

Side view. 

Other posts of note:

IMG_9398.jpeg

IMG_9399.jpeg

IMG_9402.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

the kid isn't a very good drummer

There's no work-around for that, right?

A band can have a pitchy singer and still rock.  They can have a limited-skillset guitarist and rock hard (as long as he recognizes his limitations).  Ditto for bass.  

But if the drummer doesn't have some reasonable level of groove/timing/feel, there is just nothing the rest of the band can do to cover that up.  The stink covers them all.

• Hook 'Em 1

There's no work-around for that, right?
A band can have a pitchy singer and still rock.  They can have a limited-skillset guitarist and rock hard (as long as he recognizes his limitations).  Ditto for bass.  
But if the drummer doesn't have some reasonable level of groove/timing/feel, there is just nothing the rest of the band can do to cover that up.  The stink covers them all.
That's about the size of it. It's all about the drums, then they hide the poor guy in the back.
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Our guitar player bought one of those Fireflys as a back up he says. It sounded like shit. We all asked him to not play it in practice anymore it sounded so bad. I think he's half deaf cause he refuses to wear ear protection.

Speaking The Koffs, my biggest fear with that band has been realized. Last night the singer blasts out in our group text that the founder and original bass player is moving back, so I can move to lead guitar!

I'm glad they have enough respect that they don't wanna lose me, but I dont think i want to play guitar in that band. We don't need another guitar and frankly, imo, I'm a pretty good bass player and I think I make those guys sound better than they are. I dont wanna be sitting there playing an unnecessary guitar while listening and second guessing a bass player who's not better than me - fucking up all the parts I spent the last year and a half developing.

That was a good run of no drama The Koffs had. I guess we'll see how it plays out. We are supposed to fonally record in a couple weeks, but I'm not sure I wanna record the bass parts if I'm not gonna be the bassist.

Start a new band called The Phuh, and lead them in a twin bill with The Phuh Koffs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Celery Man said:

W1vf.gif

Had two buddies go to see the White Stripes in LA about 20 to 22 years ago.

They were on the floor and wanted to get close to see Jack White play the guitar and do his thing. 

Then the music started…

…and they stood mesmerized for an hour and a half as they watched Meg White’s tits slosh around for the entire show.

On 10/20/2023 at 2:21 PM, locodos said:

I don't even really like their music, but oh man do they put on a show.  I can't imagine tripping balls and seeing them.  It could be epic or scar you for life.

140709445-1412344045824151-7390579588278

EI0C8859-960x640.jpg

hq720.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEhCK4FEIIDSFryq4qpAxwayne_coyne_the_flaming_lips_gettyimages

I saw them back in 2004 when they opened for and then backed Beck.  They absolutely blew the roof off the joint on both counts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

The screen behind them with the plane crash and the heart beating in the chest was a bit unnerving.

Somehow I don't recall that, but then again, there's always a lot going on at Flaming Lips shows.

14 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

JM 00014 3100 asking price. What do I offer? Are these cool. I kinda dig it, wood grain is nice on back and sides. Thoughts?

IMG_4137.thumb.png.2e19600a266d59a2dfd8c6982339a790.pngIMG_4133.thumb.jpeg.4a9ae9aadbe5a44a4a91f26359f964e2.jpegIMG_4136.thumb.jpeg.3b39938dd9fff726c427b0a24501d04f.jpegIMG_4135.thumb.jpeg.2d89266c232de6cd45752355c412d9fb.jpegIMG_4134.thumb.jpeg.88259a7557f7b98e9f015ee130a2c90b.jpeg

That is really nice.  I'd ask for 20% less and see if they give you 15%.

So I know it’s probably been discussed many times over but I’m looking to upgrade the Yamaha 730 acoustic that I’ve had for the last 10 years. (Btw, it is and has been a fantastic guitar). As I’m still what I would call an advanced beginner, I don’t want to invest yet in a higher end guitar. Just want something that’s playable and sounds good and nice enough to keep me coming back to it.

Looking for something in a concert/auditorium or 00/000 size and ideally acoustic electric. I’ve played lower end Martín and Guild and Taylors and liked them all.

If you had max $1000-1200 where would you start?

I’m a believer in buying acoustics based on what feels and sounds good when you play them. Go to a good shop and play a bunch of them. Usually you’ll know it when the right one speaks to you.

Try to get real wood vs laminate. And I hear you on the budget, but you’ll never regret buying a better guitar.

• Like 3

Be aware (at least back in the day) Taylors don't necessarily get "better" as price goes up.  They get more expensive to make.  ~ 2001 I gave myself a decent budget (~ $3K) for a great acoustic guitar, went to Guitar Resurrection (RIP) and played everything in the store that I could afford.  I walked out with a Taylor 310 for $1.1K including case.  It just spoke to me, and honestly I liked the lack of goofy accouterments.  It looked like a tool ready for work.  I still have it.

• Like 2

I'm far from a good player, but the main difference to me when I was choosing between Taylor and Martin's more affordable guitars, other than a slightly different sound profile (which is a matter of preference) is the nut width. I went with a Martin because they are 1.75." Probably doesn't make a difference to most, maybe not even to me, but I have fat fingertips, might help a little bit. The Taylors don't get up to 1.75" until you get to the USA made models that are going to start over 2 grand. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

Yeah today I played some Martins and Taylors today and really loved both. Need to spend some more time but between the entry-ish level up to mid level guitars the difference was negligible. I also played a Guild that was really nice and had a great sound.

I own my aforementioned Taylor dreadnought and a Guild Jumbo that's basically a Chinese knockoff of a Gibson J200.

I play the Guild a lot more, and it cost me half as much as the Taylor.  It was less than $600 new (on sale, though), with a case.  Fantastic guitar.