The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1977 Gibson Southern Jumbo Country Western from a very motivated seller on Reverb.  I’ve not received or played it yet, so we’ll see how good it is and if it sticks to me, but it was a very good flippable price.  I’m hoping it’s great and gives me the big body Gibson to go with my little body Martin.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I was possessed by the spirit of Goredho a few weeks back (but went new instead of revolving door of used like our favorite nutcase).

IMG_6125.thumb.jpeg.1c86668f7cf63b66ee26ff89facd86e8.jpeg

IMG_6126.thumb.jpeg.1e660cf59692a5d2d04ef581a7b498c4.jpeg

IMG_0541.thumb.jpeg.7c2f5751a23c97334bc70a43009f8feb.jpeg

i have been surprised by how much I have enjoyed playing it, the fullness of the low end on it, and how inspirational it has been. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

awesome. trying to figure out if apart from cosmetics that is different from the hummingbird. do you know what the scale length is?

Also, obviously the strat is a great guitar and this one here is among my favorite personal guitars, and it works without flow for many people, but I don't know where the fuck you guys keep your hand that it's confusing how the knob or the switch could be considered "in the way"

IMG_7845.thumb.jpeg.9eecd86cf23a7f54a1cf52b7730ed5b0.jpeg

IMG_7846.thumb.jpeg.c81a14815f7320b59049adbdd8ed5d3b.jpeg

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

That’s a cool guitar

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

awesome. trying to figure out if apart from cosmetics that is different from the hummingbird. do you know what the scale length is?

Yeah, I like southern jumbos, my brother has one and its very nice.  @Celery Man the gibson southern jumbos, J-45 and J-50 are all mostly the same guitar, with slight variations in appointments and maybe square vs slope shoulders.  All of them have these specs in common:

• 24 3/4" scale length
  • 1.725" nut width
  • 4.75" body depth
  • 16" lower bout width
  • Mahogany body
  • Spruce top

Southern jumbos and J-50's don't have the cachet of a J-45 and usually show up a bit cheaper on the used market, but they are basically the same guitar in terms of what plays a role in what you hear.  I don't know how all that compares to a Gibson Hummingbird.

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

I was possessed by the spirit of Goredho a few weeks back (but went new instead of revolving door of used like our favorite nutcase).

IMG_6125.thumb.jpeg.1c86668f7cf63b66ee26ff89facd86e8.jpeg

IMG_6126.thumb.jpeg.1e660cf59692a5d2d04ef581a7b498c4.jpeg

IMG_0541.thumb.jpeg.7c2f5751a23c97334bc70a43009f8feb.jpeg

i have been surprised by how much I have enjoyed playing it, the fullness of the low end on it, and how inspirational it has been. 

That's awesome.  You've needed an acoustic for too long!

22 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Also, obviously the strat is a great guitar and this one here is among my favorite personal guitars, and it works without flow for many people, but I don't know where the fuck you guys keep your hand that it's confusing how the knob or the switch could be considered "in the way"

IMG_7845.thumb.jpeg.9eecd86cf23a7f54a1cf52b7730ed5b0.jpeg

IMG_7846.thumb.jpeg.c81a14815f7320b59049adbdd8ed5d3b.jpeg

Just so you don't feel alone, I catch my Strat's volume knob all the time.  I'll be halfway through a blistering solo when all the sudden I'm at half volume, the crowd applauds, someone shouts "Thank GOD he's finished" and the rest of the band quits glaring at me and starts playing again.

I've yet to actually catch the pickup selector, though.  The volume knob is an effective blocker, I guess.

16 hours ago, Celery Man said:

ut I don't know where the fuck you guys keep your hand that it's confusing how the knob or the switch could be considered "in the way"

This is my take. I just kind of settled on some people strum very much front to back, it's the only way.

FWIW, the Strat had more thought put into where the controls were than basically any other guitar in history.

3 hours ago, G650 said:

This is my take. I just kind of settled on some people strum very much front to back, it's the only way.

FWIW, the Strat had more thought put into where the controls were than basically any other guitar in history.

Jazzmasters & Jaguars are  laughing at this statement. 

That said, soloists, pickers, and jazz players don’t mind the knobs & switches. 

Not everyone plays like that, or even wants to play like that.

Don’t care one way or the other for Nirvana’s music, but people like their guitarist and he used duct tape over switches because Leo put them in stupid places. 

image.jpeg.904e69c9d82acdabc33a5d883820d945.jpeg

On 5/2/2024 at 5:33 PM, Gil Bang said:

Have we discussed the Sam Ash closure? 

I still haven’t made it out to the one here, right across from the guitar center. I’ve been incredibly busy or I would have swung by to check out what deals they have for liquidation. Overall very sad.

My least favorite guitar show moment:  I was dating a gal but had met a gal who would become my (starter) wife.  I'm not the kind to cheat, I hadn't strayed any farther than Jimmy Carter did.  So my then-girlfriend and I went to a guitar show at the Austin Convention Center, and I fell in love with a mid-70s Fender Strat.  I mean, I was drooling.  We moved along, and separated for a bit for bathroom/drink break, and when we were ready to leave, she says "just a minute, I have something for you".  She had arranged to buy that Strat for me.  I was apoplectic, I was literally going to (and did) break up with her that night.  I managed to push back enough on such a generous gift -- like mid-$3K range -- and we got out of there.  I did the deed a few hours later.

I'm a dumbass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

I got the Gibson Southern Jumbo deluxe in and it’s great.  I’ll be checking it out for awhile, but my initial impression is that it’s gonna be a keeper*.

* guarantee limited to 2 week term

IMG_5382.jpeg

IMG_5383.jpeg

IMG_5384.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

My least favorite guitar show moment:  I was dating a gal but had met a gal who would become my (starter) wife.  I'm not the kind to cheat, I hadn't strayed any farther than Jimmy Carter did.  So my then-girlfriend and I went to a guitar show at the Austin Convention Center, and I fell in love with a mid-70s Fender Strat.  I mean, I was drooling.  We moved along, and separated for a bit for bathroom/drink break, and when we were ready to leave, she says "just a minute, I have something for you".  She had arranged to buy that Strat for me.  I was apoplectic, I was literally going to (and did) break up with her that night.  I managed to push back enough on such a generous gift -- like mid-$3K range -- and we got out of there.  I did the deed a few hours later.
I'm a dumbass.

Wait, homegirl was going to buy you a $3k Strat?

Idk I’m not saying you are a dumbass. I actually get not really wanting a girl you didn’t really dig to spend $3k on you.

My question was more was she really going to spend that? And do you still have her number?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Idk I’m not saying you are a dumbass. I actually get not really wanting a girl you didn’t really dig to spend $3k on you.

My question was more was she really going to spend that? And do you still have her number?

Oh, she was totally ready to spend that.  (She was a direct descendant of Ed Bluestein, I don't think money was ever an issue for her, although she did work for a living.)

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Goredho said:

I got the Gibson Southern Jumbo deluxe in and it’s great.  I’ll be checking it out for awhile, but my initial impression is that it’s gonna be a keeper*.

* guarantee limited to 2 week term

IMG_5382.jpeg

IMG_5383.jpeg

IMG_5384.jpeg

Ok if you change your mind you need to list it here. I love that goofy Gibson pickguard. It’s hog, right?

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm a dumbass.

Jimmyjazz music video that’s just this backwards

IMG_7949.gif.42b6f15608fcbd0f134d12f693c575ac.gif

Edited by Celery Man
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Ok if you change your mind you need to list it here. I love that goofy Gibson pickguard. It’s hog, right?

Yep, mahogany back/sides and sitka spruce top.  I'll let you know if I decide its not for me and why.  You'd get the price I got, which was muy bueno.

Is there a reason to NOT buy a Mexican Tele?   There's one local that looks amazing, and I can budget buying it without selling my mint-condition Peavey T60 . 

But, if I sell my Peavey, I can budget 1500+. 

Or, maybe I should sell this old Gibson, and buy a ton of other gear?   Don't get me wrong; it's cool as shit to strum a 1937 ES-150, but...maybe that value would better be deployed into a kickass couple of guitars and a terrific amp?

or, in my case, lessons?  (because I'm pretty shitty)

1 hour ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Got the new Epiphone Dave Grohl DG-335 a few weeks ago. Definitely pricey for an Epi, but I am a huge Dave/FF fan so I had to have it. I am very happy with it. 

IMG_1958.jpeg

I'm a sucker for Adam-12 reruns.  I love the nostalgia, because I remember every episode from my childhood.  Trini Lopez was on a few episodes.  

• Like 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I dunno, Mexican Teles are a dime a dozen.  Peavey T60s are cool and much more rare (and in general I'm not a fan of Peavey, even though my old Delta Blues amp rocked).

I know, but it's a closet queen.  The neck is so thin that I can't play it when I'm playing the Gibson a lot.   Maybe you guys that are better than me (most of you) can go from a really fat neck to a thin one, but I struggle with it.  It frustrates the shit out of me to the point I don't want to play it. 

My Sam ash is about a minute away from my house. Been going for 14 years I've lived in the neighborhood. About a week ago I asked one of the employees why the wall was looking a little thin and he made a comment about not taking on trades because they were consolidating and Phoenix was getting new inventory from the closing locations. Oops...wonder if he knew or that was the line given. 

I have gotten to know many of them over the years.... lot of turnover but a few that have stood the test of time. The service guitar tech is/ was Brent Gutierrez.  Used to make or maybe still does make his Gutierrez guitars. Good dude. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm a sucker for Adam-12 reruns.  I love the nostalgia, because I remember every episode from my childhood.  Trini Lopez was on a few episodes.  

I-Adam-12, I-Adam-12, see the man......  I also remember them calling a tag number:  David Ocean Ida, 1-4-9

Also used to love Emergency.  Nurse Dixie......   Just looked it up and she was mid 40s when Emergency was on.  

I watched Emergency religiously when I was a kid.

Any trauma could be treated using an IV with Ringer's lactate or D5W.  The important thing was to stabilize and transport to Rampart, stat!

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I-Adam-12, I-Adam-12, see the man......  I also remember them calling a tag number:  David Ocean Ida, 1-4-9

Also used to love Emergency.  Nurse Dixie......   Just looked it up and she was mid 40s when Emergency was on.  

She was a hell of a jazz singer 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/2/2024 at 11:53 AM, topochico said:

It's so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend you picking one up.....

IMG_6673.jpeg

Dammit...I should have bought that one as well.  I got the D-18.   So glad the Hummingbird stayed in the Surly family.