The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

15 hours ago, Grandioso said:

Ok, which is which? That Fano model is called the PX6 or something, basically a reimagining of the Gibson Firebird. Is that a "reverse" or "non-reverse" style? The original Firebird looks upside down - with the bottom jutting out and fucking up playability high up the neck - and the strap buttons' placement would seem to make the guitar's balance/center of gravity all weird. 

bm0pt1djbh62cdodeegk.jpg

Eventually Gibson made models the other way round. Are those the "reverse" because it's the reverse of the original? Or did the original style become known as the "reverse" because it looks upside down and the flipped over, new version looked more natural/normal?

Or am I wrong and the one pictured above come out after the flipped version?

Fender sued Gibson because of the Firebird's offset body being so similar to the Jaguar/Jazzmaster.  So they "reversed" it to the shape you have in the pic.  The ones I've played are pretty wonky balance wise.  Never had a chance to play one set out the original way.

34 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Fender sued Gibson because of the Firebird's offset body being so similar to the Jaguar/Jazzmaster.  So they "reversed" it to the shape you have in the pic.  The ones I've played are pretty wonky balance wise.  Never had a chance to play one set out the original way.

I'm pretty sure that's backwards.  The non-reverse models came out 2 years after the reverse models.  

Fender's original complaint was that the original (reverse) Firebird looked like an UPSIDE DOWN Jaguar/Jazzmaster.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm pretty sure that's backwards.  The non-reverse models came out 2 years after the reverse models.  

Fender's original complaint was that the original (reverse) Firebird looked like an UPSIDE DOWN Jaguar/Jazzmaster.

You may be right.  I haven't revisited that story in a while.  Sorry if it was misinformation.

Wiki basically has the whole scoop:

The Gibson Guitar Corporation released several new styles during the 1950s to compete with Fender's solid-body instruments, such as the Telecasterand Stratocaster. After success with the Les Paul in the 1950s, Gibson's popularity began to wane in the 1960s...

The president of Gibson, Ted McCarty, hired car designer Ray Dietrich to design a guitar that would have popular appeal. Under Dietrich, the Firebird took on the lines of mid-50s car tailfins. Dietrich took the Explorer design and rounded the edges. The most unusual aspect is that the guitar is "backward" in that the right-hand (treble) horn of the body is longer than the other. Thus, the original Firebirds were unofficially referred to as "reverse". The Firebird looks like an Explorer with softer "points," or maybe a reverse Fender Jaguar or Jazzmaster.

Explorer and Firebird side by side:

320px-Gibson_Explorer.jpggibson-firebird-2018-ebony.jpg

The Firebird line went on sale in mid-1963 with four models distinguished by pickup and tailpiece configurations (see below). Unlike the Les Paul and SG line, which used the terms "Junior", "Special", "Standard" and "Custom", the Firebird used the Roman numerals "I", "III", "V" and "VII"....

From 1965 to 1969, Gibson introduced "non-reverse" models after failing to achieve marketing success with the unusual reverse-body design. Gibson had also received complaints from Fender that the Firebird headstock mirrored the Stratocaster and that the body violated Fender's design patents, with Fender threatening a lawsuit. The "non-reverse" body is a more standard double-cutaway design, with the bass horn being longer than the treble horn and the headstock having the tuners mounted on the bass side....

After a few years of disappointing sales, the "non-reverse" line was dropped. "Reverse" body Firebirds were first reissued in 1972, with a commemorative "Bicentennial" model released in 1976 which was made available in a variety of finishes including black, vintage white, natural, and the traditional sunburst. The bicentennial model was also distinguished by gold hardware and a red-white-blue logo on the white pickguard.

1965 Gibson Firebird I Non-Reverse:

qhopjomggk8mibrmi9f3.jpg 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks.  I think that's what I said but at this point I'm back to the obvious conclusion:

I need one of each.

By the way, our HS guitar hero had the Bicentennial version:

Image result for 1976 gibson bicentennial firebird

It was fucking amazing.  Plus, he could solo with it behind his head.  Bastard.

That's a nice guitar.  I have a buddy who has an Inverness Green one.  Fun guitar.

And I can do a wicked Cinnamon Girl solo behind my head.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wow.  I would have defaulted to Strat.  The switch is the only giveaway I can see.  Too hard to count pickups.

Eagle eyes on the surly.

Does the switch have a center position or is it either/or?

The give away for me was the plug going into the front of the pick guard.  

I haven't played a DuoSonic since my teens, and it was ancient then.  That looks like one of the newer ones.  So I can't say about the toggle.

2 hours ago, Grandioso said:

Wiki basically has the whole scoop:

The Gibson Guitar Corporation released several new styles during the 1950s to compete with Fender's solid-body instruments, such as the Telecasterand Stratocaster. After success with the Les Paul in the 1950s, Gibson's popularity began to wane in the 1960s...

The president of Gibson, Ted McCarty, hired car designer Ray Dietrich to design a guitar that would have popular appeal. Under Dietrich, the Firebird took on the lines of mid-50s car tailfins. Dietrich took the Explorer design and rounded the edges. The most unusual aspect is that the guitar is "backward" in that the right-hand (treble) horn of the body is longer than the other. Thus, the original Firebirds were unofficially referred to as "reverse". The Firebird looks like an Explorer with softer "points," or maybe a reverse Fender Jaguar or Jazzmaster.

Explorer and Firebird side by side:

320px-Gibson_Explorer.jpggibson-firebird-2018-ebony.jpg

The Firebird line went on sale in mid-1963 with four models distinguished by pickup and tailpiece configurations (see below). Unlike the Les Paul and SG line, which used the terms "Junior", "Special", "Standard" and "Custom", the Firebird used the Roman numerals "I", "III", "V" and "VII"....

From 1965 to 1969, Gibson introduced "non-reverse" models after failing to achieve marketing success with the unusual reverse-body design. Gibson had also received complaints from Fender that the Firebird headstock mirrored the Stratocaster and that the body violated Fender's design patents, with Fender threatening a lawsuit. The "non-reverse" body is a more standard double-cutaway design, with the bass horn being longer than the treble horn and the headstock having the tuners mounted on the bass side....

After a few years of disappointing sales, the "non-reverse" line was dropped. "Reverse" body Firebirds were first reissued in 1972, with a commemorative "Bicentennial" model released in 1976 which was made available in a variety of finishes including black, vintage white, natural, and the traditional sunburst. The bicentennial model was also distinguished by gold hardware and a red-white-blue logo on the white pickguard.

1965 Gibson Firebird I Non-Reverse:

qhopjomggk8mibrmi9f3.jpg 

Never was a big fan of the Explorer/Firebird look, but this reverse one looks like somebody left it in their car in August and it melted or something.

Thanks.  I think that's what I said but at this point I'm back to the obvious conclusion:
I need one of each.

By the way, our HS guitar hero had the Bicentennial version:
s-l300.jpg

It was fucking amazing.  Plus, he could solo with it behind his head.  Bastard.

You went to hs with Stevie Ray?

58 minutes ago, DougO said:

Never was a big fan of the Explorer/Firebird look, but this reverse one looks like somebody left it in their car in August and it melted or something.

I think you're talking about the non-reverse. Those mushy-looking angles on the non-reverse were probably an extra precaution Gibson took so as not to get hauled into court by Fender. It looks like a Jazzmaster with an extra chromosome. 

Reverse Firebird talk not going away.

While I love Explorers, I've never been to into the Firbird. With the bevel on the headstock and that raised ridge down the center I've always thought they looked like they are trying to hard.

And it's fucking laughable that Leo would threaten a lawsuit against Gibson after he himself stole the design, and so many other features Fender is known for, directly from Paul Bigsby. 648a7b8d2fea5e3c184adb9d517a67f6.jpgecdd6fec8bb062f20470232ff2fe3365.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grandioso said:

I think you're talking about the non-reverse. Those mushy-looking angles on the non-reverse were probably an extra precaution Gibson took so as not to get hauled into court by Fender. It looks like a Jazzmaster with an extra chromosome. 

It looks like it was beamed down from the Enterprise during an ion storm and there was a major transporter malfunction.

On 10/8/2018 at 8:52 PM, BoomMF said:

He did eventually bust out his trusty LP that he's been using for years. (Dude's only 19 so that a significant portion of his career!)

Reveal hidden contents

A few other people put video up of the crowd walk, and you can tell by my vid that there were camera phones all over the place.  It didn't take long for me to find myself in one of them. 

Me an my trusty UT hat top of center frame smiling like an idiot as he walks by recording phone.

I'm nationwide.

Kingfish%20Show.JPG?dl=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oxH0goaZ10

• Like 1

I seem to recall from TOS that there was a 1+ hour long Mike Campbell video someone posted.  All I can find online is the little Reverb snippets.  Anyone remember this?

And as sexy as that Esquire is, I can't do bound Fenders.  Weird because I love binding on other guitars.

I’ll weigh in on the Firebird. I LOVE the one I bought last year. If y’all remember I bought it with the idea of reselling it. No. Effing. Way. Just a fantastic guitar. It was a new old-stock 2015 so the balance issues have been addressed. It has Steinberger tuners and a zero nut - intonation and ability to hold tune are impeccable. The mini HB’s are very slightly on the tinny side but hot as balls. The neck is sublime. Extremely versatile sound range. It rocks but it’d be a blues monster in the right hands.

Versus the Explorer it’s kind of an ugly duckling, but that’s what I like about it. Agree with jj that the former is too ‘80’s looking (regardless of when it was designed) though in the ‘80’s I thought it was the coolest thing ever. And the superfluous attributes DougO mentioned are part the Firebird’s charm and character, not to mention it’s a three-piece body with the center being the heart and the wings simply attachments.

As to the reverse/non-reverse issue: while the prevailing thoughts here are correct I always thought it was backwards. Why would you call the original “reversed”? Reversed from what? Haha. Logic. Anyway, the original is far superior in aesthetics for my money. That’s why I ultimately spent it. Heh.

• Like 1

Just now, SwanderedTalent said:

well to tide us over while we're waiting, my humble contribution

2e0jx2p.jpg

eight slots, seven guitars, something doesn't add up

SOON

el4pq9.jpg

the neck is on the way, the painting is about done, just have to clear coat it and reassemble

I don't recall you posting here, so if this is post #1 you're off to a hell of a start. Also, please be sure to visit our amp thread and effects pedals thread.

• Like 1