The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

WTF is going on here?  I'm talking out of my ass as if the owner of maybe $3K worth of electrics and $3K of acoustics has anything real to say, and it turns out a couple of our regulars are sitting on many $10K's of vintage guitars and amps.

This. I thought I had some shit 

Here’s a real bad motherfucker of a strat.  It’s a 2004 John Cruz masterbuilt 1954 reissue.  I got Rolph to make me a set of his 1954 strat pickups and installed them.  A local store had an all original 1954 strat in stock a few months ago and I went and did an A/B test.  This Cruz blew away the real 54 and it wasn’t close.  However, the real 54 still won the value contest because it sold for $120,000 a couple days later.

It’s a shame Cruz went full Figurelli and got fired for posting racist shit on social media.  He was definitely one of the best Fender builders.

30E82DD4-5EA9-45DB-9473-8FD3CA8A200D.jpeg

Edited by Horn Dogg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

Here’s a real bad motherfucker of a strat.  It’s a 2004 John Cruz masterbuilt 1954 reissue.  I got Rolph to make me a set of his 1954 strat pickups and installed them.  A local store had an all original 1954 strat in stock a few months ago and I went and did an A/B test.  This Cruz blew away the real 54 and it wasn’t close.  However, the real 54 still won the value contest because it sold for $120,000 a couple days later.

It’s a shame Cruz went full Figurelli and got fired for posting racist shit on social media.  He was definitely one of the best Fender builders.

30E82DD4-5EA9-45DB-9473-8FD3CA8A200D.jpeg

@noharleyyet to the white courtesy phone, please.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

Some good amps to match with them. All original 1964 FEIC.  The Vibroverb is especially luscious.

DAC5BF63-D07C-4132-8671-C093A881CA1D.jpeg

F832BDC8-0129-46C0-A700-D8D19370341A.jpeg

FE7B15FA-5128-4305-9703-A7317897D5B0.jpeg

So I've been looking hard at the Vibroverb as an alternative to my back breaking Twin.  Do you notice the difference in (a) weight, and (b) sound (two 10s vs 2 12s)?

That super is a beauty.  I know the Rev prefers those, but he puts a baffle in front.  I wouldn't want to haul it around to the small gigs I play though.

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

So I've been looking hard at the Vibroverb as an alternative to my back breaking Twin.  Do you notice the difference in (a) weight, and (b) sound (two 10s vs 2 12s)?

That super is a beauty.  I know the Rev prefers those, but he puts a baffle in front.  I wouldn't want to haul it around to the small gigs I play though.

The age old question of how do you get a Super Reverb sound without toting around a Super Reverb. Unpossible in my opinion. The 4 x 10" 2 ohm setup is the key to the sound.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

The age old question of how do you get a Super Reverb sound without toting around a Super Reverb. Unpossible in my opinion. The 4 x 10" 2 ohm setup is the key to the sound.

Exactly!  I saw him play it once at the All Good Cafe in Dallas, which is a small cafe on a corner with giant windows on two sides, brick walls on the other two.  The sound bouncing around in there from that Super, even with the baffle, was unreal.  I think my ears rang for a week.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Htf has this thread existed for a bazillion years and you are just now showing up with this shit?

On an unrelated note, we made $502 in tips tonight. Chump change in the grand scene of things. But that’s a record for us and I’m pretty stoked about it.

I guess I’ve been too busy bitching about Texas Football to notice a guitar thread.  I usually go to the gear page for guitar talk.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, G650 said:

The short answer is you don’t!  Depending on what kind of gig you’re playing, the tone master super or twin can be decent substitutes.  You wouldn’t want to take those into a studio or anything like that, but playing for your average drunk bar the tone masters are the way to go.

45 minutes ago, Deej said:

I probably posted this before, but here's a friend's Strat. Can't remember what year it is, but I remember him saying it's an early one with the rosewood fret board. Natural relic. 

Screenshot_20230211_081416_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230211_081429_Facebook.jpg

This is a perfect example of why I don't dig relics.  There just is no reproducing honest wear and love.  What a beaut'

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

In late 63-64 Fender went to a 1X15 for the vibroverb.  It’s a lot lighter than a twin, but it also doesn’t have near as much headroom.  The Vibroverb sounds awesome on its own, but if you pull an SRV and put it up with a super you get the best of both worlds with that fat low end coming out of the 15.

I think a really under-rated option for the Twin lovers is the Pro Reverb.  You can Get a really nice blackface pro for around $1500 and it’s significantly lighter than a twin and kind of does a combination of the twin or super thing tonally.  The only drawback is that with certain speakers the pro can sound muddy in the midrange.  They kick ass with Jensens though!  Those oxfords suck in the pro.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

The short answer is you don’t!  Depending on what kind of gig you’re playing, the tone master super or twin can be decent substitutes.  You wouldn’t want to take those into a studio or anything like that, but playing for your average drunk bar the tone masters are the way to go.

A strat into a tweed super 5f4 with the treble knob up past noon can get you a little of that SR spank.  But there is no substitute for an SR or a TR in a smaller package that I have experienced.  No replacement for displacement.

Edit to add that I love a good pro reverb, but they break up about as early as a Deluxe Reverb.

Edited by dcbc

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

This is a perfect example of why I don't dig relics.  There just is no reproducing honest wear and love.  What a beaut'

That one looks like a 63-64 based on the color and what I can see of the decal.  Better res photos and we could figure it out most likely.

The guitar market rules are funny:

1. If it’s old, the newer it looks the better.

2. if it’s new, the older it looks the better.

makes no fucking sense!

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

That one looks like a 63-64 based on the color and what I can see of the decal.  Better res photos and we could figure it out most likely.

The guitar market rules are funny:

1. If it’s old, the newer it looks the better.

2. if it’s new, the older it looks the better.

makes no fucking sense!

It's a '64. I thought he had told me it was earlier than that, but I was wrong.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

Here’s a 1959 Hardtail strat that I sold a few months ago.  This one was refinished many years ago and naturally reliced.  @Deej note that there are 10 holes in the pickguard.  They only made 10 hole pickguards for a couple months in the middle of 1959.  59 had Strats with 8, 9, 10 and 11 holes over the course of that year.

I sold this guitar to a European dealer. Now he’s got it for sale at double the price and trying to claim original finish.

81B92B7C-0CF0-4E15-A3B2-CD5814ECDBB5.thumb.jpeg.375021f9a30b46e7a58f53a508506587.jpeg28A23958-520D-4741-9569-881B820739DD.thumb.jpeg.e8d56f20b5157ed3867d967aaa9f1cf2.jpegFBA97677-1211-4D9D-95B3-DABE0539095A.thumb.jpeg.3951c00cdb55cb17afc226f047345bb7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

In late 63-64 Fender went to a 1X15 for the vibroverb.  It’s a lot lighter than a twin, but it also doesn’t have near as much headroom.  The Vibroverb sounds awesome on its own, but if you pull an SRV and put it up with a super you get the best of both worlds with that fat low end coming out of the 15.

I think a really under-rated option for the Twin lovers is the Pro Reverb.  You can Get a really nice blackface pro for around $1500 and it’s significantly lighter than a twin and kind of does a combination of the twin or super thing tonally.  The only drawback is that with certain speakers the pro can sound muddy in the midrange.  They kick ass with Jensens though!  Those oxfords suck in the pro.

This is news I can use.  

I recently wound up pulling the trigger on the brown Vibroverb I posted upthread, but its in the shop.  It has the Oxford K12. I'll demo it but maybe it'll need the Jensen.  

I've been looking at those Pros for a while, as they're also noted for their good low end steel tone, which is something I'm always pondering.  

10 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

This is news I can use.  

I recently wound up pulling the trigger on the brown Vibroverb I posted upthread, but its in the shop.  It has the Oxford K12. I'll demo it but maybe it'll need the Jensen.  

I've been looking at those Pros for a while, as they're also noted for their good low end steel tone, which is something I'm always pondering.  

Not to be contrary, but I actually prefer a ceramic in brown Fenders. I'd try to listen to some side by side. In tweed, Jensen all the way. For blackface Fenders I like Celestions, though I'm not a big BF guy other than Bassmans.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

This is news I can use.  

What page is your Vibroverb on?  I would love to check out the pics

11 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

This is at a friends place.  1954 Tele, 1960 fiesta red HT strat, 1962 sonic blue, 1962 Olympic white, 1964 seafoam green.  All refins, but this dude has over 100 pre-cbs partscasters and basses.

B5F5B21E-D222-4B55-9FC1-7C9A1B5A638A.jpeg

Over 100?  Jeebus.  That's amazeballs. 

Yeah, I don't recall the thread the Vibro is in.  Here are some pics when the friend I bought it from was teasing me with it:

image.thumb.png.5740a769e79ab9e2d79cd6a3c0aa639d.png

image.thumb.png.54209289e039f3db0845193561d00f9d.png

I also saw he just listed the Jaguar that was a companion piece to this amp.  

https://reverb.com/item/65791716-hard-to-find-fender-jaguar-early-1962-w-slaboard-neck-see-thru-blonde

18 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Over 100?  Jeebus.  That's amazeballs. 

Yeah, I don't recall the thread the Vibro is in.  Here are some pics when the friend I bought it from was teasing me with it:

image.thumb.png.5740a769e79ab9e2d79cd6a3c0aa639d.png

image.thumb.png.54209289e039f3db0845193561d00f9d.png

I also saw he just listed the Jaguar that was a companion piece to this amp.  

https://reverb.com/item/65791716-hard-to-find-fender-jaguar-early-1962-w-slaboard-neck-see-thru-blonde

Ah, that’s a Vibrolux, different from a vibroverb.  Still badass nonetheless!

Jaguar and Jazzmaster prices have gone nuts lately.  The hipsters haven’t figured out that Strats and Teles were actually superior guitars.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, G650 said:

I didn't realize Horn Dogg was friends with Joe B

I have a friend that brokered a deal for Joe B to buy a burst for $600K.  He went to Joe’s house to deliver it and said the house is wall to wall guitars and amps.  He said Joe paid in cash, literally grocery bags full of $100 bill stacks.

Edited by Horn Dogg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Ah, that’s a Vibrolux, different from a vibroverb.  Still badass nonetheless!

Jaguar and Jazzmaster prices have gone nuts lately.  The hipsters haven’t figured out that Strats and Teles were actually superior guitars.

Yes, I should've been more clear.  I bought this Vibrolux.

But I'm still looking at the 2x10 Vibroverb because I've heard good things about it.  My question about the weight & sound relative to 2x12s in the Twin remains pending.  

I've been trying to pick out some of my poors guitars to put up for sale to make some space. I pulled my 2012 Epiphone SG G-400 out of mothballs, since I haven't bonded with it in a few years and I have since gotten a real Gibson "faded" SG that I love. But dang, now this Epi SG seems pretty nice again. Looks like it needs a nut replacement, though. So now instead of downsizing I'll probably be spending more on keeping the same guitar that I never play. 

It's a dadgum disease.

• Hook 'Em 1

I get all the nuance between the vibrolux, vibroverb, super, tweed, pro, brown, etc etc. But my question is can you really hear that in a band setting?

I have an old super, pro, dual showman, and two old boogies. And honestly the minute our drummer kicks in all the nuance goes out the window to my ear. In fairness, I do try to dial all of them to a similar sound that cuts and sits well with the other guitar player. But for our band stuff (not the duo I regularly gig with) I honestly think I’d be better served with just a blues jr.

If we had some sort of pro sound guy or set up maybe I could see it. But I’m our sound guy, so we’re far from that.

2 minutes ago, DougO said:

I've been trying to pick out some of my poors guitars to put up for sale to make some space. I pulled my 2012 Epiphone SG G-400 out of mothballs, since I haven't bonded with it in a few years and I have since gotten a real Gibson "faded" SG that I love. But dang, now this Epi SG seems pretty nice again. Looks like it needs a nut replacement, though. So now instead of downsizing I'll probably be spending more on keeping the same guitar that I never play. 

It's a dadgum disease.

happy-days-al-yep-yes.gif

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I get all the nuance between the vibrolux, vibroverb, super, tweed, pro, brown, etc etc. But my question is can you really hear that in a band setting?

I have an old super, pro, dual showman, and two old boogies. And honestly the minute our drummer kicks in all the nuance goes out the window to my ear. In fairness, I do try to dial all of them to a similar sound that cuts and sits well with the other guitar player. But for our band stuff (not the duo I regularly gig with) I honestly think I’d be better served with just a blues jr.

If we had some sort of pro sound guy or set up maybe I could see it. But I’m our sound guy, so we’re far from that.

You're probably right, but then how would we make three years long threads out of that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did any of y'all try to inform me of the Tom Bukovac HomeSkoolin' youtube channel that started during the pandemic shutdown bullshit?

If so, I apologize for not paying enough attention. Totally addicted now, but I could have used it even more a couple of years ago. It's just kind of a bitch scrolling way down the video playlist to start from the beginning.

15 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

At the ends, yes you can, very clearly. In the middle, depends. In very similar models not at all.

Cabinetry, speakers, and all make the biggest difference, but if you take a blackface twin vs a tweed Deluxe, its night and day. Even my tweed Bassman and blackface Bassman are wholly different amps in the mix.

8 minutes ago, DougO said:

Did any of y'all try to inform me of the Tom Bukovac HomeSkoolin' youtube channel that started during the pandemic shutdown bullshit?

If so, I apologize for not paying enough attention. Totally addicted now, but I could have used it even more a couple of years ago. It's just kind of a bitch scrolling way down the video playlist to start from the beginning.

That is an actual must subscribe, if one subscribes to YouTube thingys. Uncle Tom is a riot.

• Like 1