The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 hour ago, sidis said:

i ended up taking the LP and Strat to Straight Frets here in austin.  pretty good experience so far.  we agreed that some of the high frets on the LP needed some plecking (as i'd notices some buzzing sizzle when playing in the middle of the neck).  going to do that along with replacing the nut.  the strat was in great shape and didn't need much of anything.  we'll see if happier in a week.

I'm just catching up on this page (which is pretty strong...), so I just saw your post above.  Straight Frets is probably who I would have recommended.  Danny plek'ed my old Tele and I was very happy with it.  

The guy I used to use here in Austin is super competent and a great guy, but he chain smokes like mad in his little workshop, and the last guitar I got back from him brought the smell home with it.  For a few weeks, when I'd walk into my spare bedroom, I'd catch a faint but distinct whiff of Deep Eddy Cabaret.  I've been using Straight Frets since then.    

• Hook 'Em 3

This is one of the music podcasts that I listen to, and they just did an episode on muted-bridge guitars:

https://switchedonpop.com/episodes/old-style-guitar-shop-rubber-bridge-reuben-cox

And I googled it and it turns out it's a pretty widely-known thing (which instinctively makes me not trust the authenticity of the story):

https://reverb.com/news/the-rubber-bridge-guitars-taking-over-indie-music

They kind of make me want to go full Bill Burr... "When I was a kid, guitars had Floyd Rose locking tremolos, mirrored pick guards, and they were real pointy.  And you dressed like a girl and sang about the devil.  Now *that* was music."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

This is one of the music podcasts that I listen to, and they just did an episode on muted-bridge guitars:

https://switchedonpop.com/episodes/old-style-guitar-shop-rubber-bridge-reuben-cox

And I googled it and it turns out it's a pretty widely-known thing (which instinctively makes me not trust the authenticity of the story):

https://reverb.com/news/the-rubber-bridge-guitars-taking-over-indie-music

They kind of make me want to go full Bill Burr... "When I was a kid, guitars had Floyd Rose locking tremolos, mirrored pick guards, and they were real pointy.  And you dressed like a girl and sang about the devil.  Now *that* was music."

The fucking good old days, man.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

Praise The Lord Applause GIF

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

You should. Those reps can save you a ton of cash. Not only did mine save my like $800 on my Les Paul, when I was looking for a drum kit to put in my apartment he found a kit in the warehouse that wasn't even on the website he offered me for a killer deal.

If they call too much let them know and they'll back off. I've asked that mine check in about once a quarter so I'll know she's still there, otherwise ill reach out if I need anything.

You can also go to your account page and they have a section where you can let them know how frequently you want to be contacted.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, sidis said:

i ended up taking the LP and Strat to Straight Frets here in austin.  pretty good experience so far.  we agreed that some of the high frets on the LP needed some plecking (as i'd notices some buzzing sizzle when playing in the middle of the neck).  going to do that along with replacing the nut.  the strat was in great shape and didn't need much of anything.  we'll see if happier in a week.

My LP was plecked from the factory.  I wasn't aware that partial plecking was an option, though I guess it makes sense that it could be.  What does a full pleck run per guitar versus just specific frets?

I think I have posted pics of my SG before, but whatever...

First off, I was always a terrible guitar player.  But I haven't really played in many years so I am REALLY terrible now.  My pops bought this for me my freshman year at UT.  It was a steal because I the guy selling it thought something was wrong with it.  I can't remember what year it is (too lazy to go look at the serial), but I think its a 1991.  I kept this in the studios that I worked in so musicians could use it that I was recording.  Had many offers for it.

Here in the studio I used to own in Austin (Those are Ldogg's drums)...

spacer.png

The last house I lived in while in college...a lot to take in here (like the course catalog), but here is the SG with my Red Bear amp (the orange above was a million times better).

spacer.png

In action at Emo's circa 1998 (Ldogg on the drums)...

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Band name at Emo's?  Great shot.

Landslide.  We were awful.  And that is mostly my fault haha.  We played out a bit though.  Blue Flamingo, Emo's, The Backroom and Fitzgerald's in Houston.

Oh yeah, and the acoustic in the first shot was a guitar I bought in San Sebastián, Spain.  I carried it around Europe for another two weeks, then back to the States with hardly a scratch.  For nearly 20 years it survived moves and dogs and my wife...only to ultimately lose a battle with my daughters.  Big crack in the body.  Oh well...

Edited by Patricio Swayze
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I think I have posted pics of my SG before, but whatever…

The last house I lived in while in college...a lot to take in here (like the course catalog), but here is the SG with my Red Bear amp (the orange above was a million times better).

spacer.png

I see that you support separatists.

image.thumb.jpeg.2977a8564c546934a360db0fea6a8ed3.jpeg
(Photo from Oñati, just 47 miles from San Sebastián/ Donastia)

Also, regarding your daughters destroying the guitar… it is probably the Brazilian blood. They couldn’t help themselves. Brazilians destroy woods like Portlanders hug trees.

image.thumb.jpeg.6bcf6fcf9ef0a3558b585ca471017b47.jpeg

• Like 1

First off, I was always a terrible guitar player.  But I haven't really played in many years so I am REALLY terrible now.  My pops bought this for me my freshman year at UT.  It was a steal because I the guy selling it thought something was wrong with it.  I can't remember what year it is (too lazy to go look at the serial), but I think its a 1991.  I kept this in the studios that I worked in so musicians could use it that I was recording.  Had many offers for it.
ziyZCXzR_o.jpeg
FvJnC7cS_o.jpeg
kK6ZwvB9_o.jpeg

Red Bear Amp!

A collaborator and friend i share studio space with has one of those he's always trying to get me to try out. A Russian JCM 800 he says. Ive seen it dozens of times and need to plug into it.

9 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is awesome, you can totally date the photos from being back in the day because we all just had half stacks in the bedroom, and also your singers footwear

Red Bear Amp!

A collaborator and friend i share studio space with has one of those he's always trying to get me to try out. A Russian JCM 800 he says. Ive seen it dozens of times and need to plug into it.

I bought the amp at Texas Music Emporium (the Music Store that ate my brain). I bought the head and then worked at Texadelphia on the drag to make money for the cabinet.
It was loud for sure, but I liked the Orange more (the Orange was an early 90s version).

2 hours ago, G650 said:

This is awesome, you can totally date the photos from being back in the day because we all just had half stacks in the bedroom, and also your singers footwear

Outlier.  I moved my half stack (early 1970s Sunn 412S) back to the bedroom in the 2010s, without the head sadly.  It was good motivation to eventually sell it.  I shipped that heavy bastard from Texas to North Carolina for $80 via FedEx.  I miss those days of relatively inexpensive shipping.  I used to run my 1973 Bassman 100 into those Sunn Speakers (my first proper amp, both purchased from my guitar teacher in high school for a song).  I sure wish I'd gotten an adapter to run that old Champ through them.  I bet it would have sounded amazing (both being 4 ohms).

AMWts8-AEK6g2-JHwso-Oqt8-Hbx-PMz-ABHx-M9

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Deej said:

Narrator: "It would have."

Oh, yes.  But  that cab was rated for 240 watts at 4 ohms with those Eminence flat magnet speakers.  The Bassman 100 could get them moving, but that Bandmaster sounded pretty anemic through them at 40 watts. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, dcbc said:

My LP was plecked from the factory.  I wasn't aware that partial plecking was an option, though I guess it makes sense that it could be.  What does a full pleck run per guitar versus just specific frets?

There was a slight ski slope in the high frets under the b and e. It was subtle but it was there visually. It was much more obvious in tone. I’d had some frustration in playing the middle of the neck on this strings because there was a lame buzz. 

he is doing that, upgrading to a bone nut, making some other slight cleanups to it, and restringing/basic set up for 280. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Still had these bad boys at the time.  Actually, I still have them.  I just don't have the heads any more.  Nowadays, they're pretty much storage for the backup 1968 Jensen C12N speakers for my Deluxe Reverb.  I bought them to sing through as PA speakers without knowing what kind of speakers were in them.  Fortunately, I didn't sing through them much.  Cabs are homemade and have pink house insulation in them.  I think the cigarette smoke stench from Memorial Music is finally gone.  But man did it make those speakers sound sweet.

g-H2-W5xsk-3-BT0d-Tvty-Pz-QKR-r-Hz-R2-jb

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

There was a slight ski slope in the high frets under the b and e. It was subtle but it was there visually. It was much more obvious in tone. I’d had some frustration in playing the middle of the neck on this strings because there was a lame buzz. 

he is doing that, upgrading to a bone nut, making some other slight cleanups to it, and restringing/basic set up for 280. 

I've got some small cowboy chord divots in my #1 Telecaster.  But it doesn't affect play and I'm leaving it alone until it does. 

Just now, dcbc said:

I've got some small cowboy chord divots in my #1 Telecaster.  But it doesn't affect play and I'm leaving it alone until it does. 

Well for me, it’s incredibly obvious that this was clearly the reason that I sound like a goober middle aged hobbyist playing my guitars instead of sounding like Mark Knopfler so it was silly not to spend a little cash to get over that small hump. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, sidis said:

Well for me, it’s incredibly obvious that this was clearly the reason that I sound like a goober middle aged hobbyist playing my guitars instead of sounding like Mark Knopfler so it was silly not to spend a little cash to get over that small hump. 

Same reason I use gold Krugerrands as picks.  The more I spend, the better I sound. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a guy that’s really good at this stuff. Since I’ve been going to him I’ve come to understand how nice a true level fretboard and true level frets are. Now I’m a total snob and ain’t got no time for it to be any other way.

28 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So I got that itch.  Been sitting at home isolating with the covid. 

We'll just have to see turns up.  

i kind of wish someone would finally bite the bullet and get one of prince's cloud guitars.  white or purple, either one would work.  saw them at paisley park and they are way cooler looking in person than you might think.

prince-cloud-guitar.png

bonus points if you can get some large breasted hottie like appolonia to buy it for you...

Edited by sidis
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I vote a 1959 burst refurb project to give @G650 some competition.

I nearly bought a referb project, then someone came up with one that had already been refurbished for about as I'd have to lay out for the refurb.  It already had all the shit I wanted done did to it.  That my friends, is irresistible.  

Not a '59 though.  I'm too tight to lay out on that. 

BTW, what's the latest on that '59 anyhow?

8 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I nearly bought a referb project, then someone came up with one that had already been refurbished for about as I'd have to lay out for the refurb.  It already had all the shit I wanted done did to it.  That my friends, is irresistible.  

Not a '59 though.  I'm too tight to lay out on that. 

BTW, what's the latest on that '59 anyhow?

It's a '58. But not much to report until April, that's when we get going.

• Hook 'Em 1