Jump to content

The Guitar Pron Thread


Celery Man

Recommended Posts

I got the 50s wiring harness from JonseyBlues installed in the SG last night. The aged nickel PAFs from Mojotone look amazing, but I stalled out getting the spring screws to grab, and since I wasn't going to try my hand at soldering, I dropped it off at the guitar tech today. Looking forward to having it back soon.

7ec496ddb5927542ff116976f428458f.jpg

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I love what you’ve done with the place!

Would that bedsheet indicate that you are currently sleeping with the amp peeking out from behind it?

That’s to protect the amp from various boat propellers and marine equipment.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I love what you’ve done with the place!

Would that bedsheet indicate that you are currently sleeping with the amp peeking out from behind it?

If only it came with a fleshlight

Link to comment
Share on other sites

oooh I'm interested to hear how that goes. Some kind of Les Paul Junior/Special has been on my list for a minute.

 

Rip Tom Verlaine. I think most associated with a jazzmaster but lots of pics with him and this interesting lipstick pickup strat

_128449100_gettyimages-478163738.jpg

  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, DougO said:

I didn't realize Epiphone got rid of the round notches on the pointy ends of the headstock, I guess for their higher line of stuff. That definitely makes them more attractive and Gibsonesque.

They went to the old Kalamazoo headstocks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

oooh I'm interested to hear how that goes. Some kind of Les Paul Junior/Special has been on my list for a minute.
 
Rip Tom Verlaine. I think most associated with a jazzmaster but lots of pics with him and this interesting lipstick pickup strat
_128449100_gettyimages-478163738.jpg

Damn, I didn’t see he had died.

Gotta go listen to some Television now.
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Celery Man said:

oooh I'm interested to hear how that goes. Some kind of Les Paul Junior/Special has been on my list for a minute.

 

Rip Tom Verlaine. I think most associated with a jazzmaster but lots of pics with him and this interesting lipstick pickup strat

_128449100_gettyimages-478163738.jpg

Apparently it's a custom body, Danelectro pickups, and a Jazzmaster neck

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/28/2023 at 11:42 AM, DougO said:

I didn't realize Epiphone got rid of the round notches on the pointy ends of the headstock, I guess for their higher line of stuff. That definitely makes them more attractive and Gibsonesque.

yep.  The new headstocks match the one on my 62 Century which was made in Kalamazoo.  Only difference is my Epi 339's headstock is a bit longer.  

Edited by hullabelew
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have any of you run into a guitar/amp combo that JUST DOESN"T WORK?

My Vox "Tony Bruno" combo is crapping out.  Probably a power tube, I haven't taken it in yet.  I borrowed my buddy's Fender Deluxe Reverb in the meantime.  It sounds fantastic with my G&L ASAT Tribute Bluesboy Tele, almost better than the Vox.  I broke a string in rehearsal the other night, so I grabbed my Warmoth partscaster strat and plugged in . . . oof.  A terrible match.  I just couldn't get it to sing at all.  Must be the pickups.

  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Have any of you run into a guitar/amp combo that JUST DOESN"T WORK?

My Vox "Tony Bruno" combo is crapping out.  Probably a power tube, I haven't taken it in yet.  I borrowed my buddy's Fender Deluxe Reverb in the meantime.  It sounds fantastic with my G&L ASAT Tribute Bluesboy Tele, almost better than the Vox.  I broke a string in rehearsal the other night, so I grabbed my Warmoth partscaster strat and plugged in . . . oof.  A terrible match.  I just couldn't get it to sing at all.  Must be the pickups.

 

I'm having a hellacious time getting my AM Std Strat to play nice with my Super when it's breaking up. Cleans are OK, but I just can't get it decent on OD. I hope to have my Strat Plus back soon so maybe those pickups will work better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, G650 said:

 

I'm having a hellacious time getting my AM Std Strat to play nice with my Super when it's breaking up. Cleans are OK, but I just can't get it decent on OD. I hope to have my Strat Plus back soon so maybe those pickups will work better.

What's wrong with the OD?  I assume you mean that the amp is driving okay, but the guitar just doesn't sound as good as your StratPlus. 

 

Have you tried it through the normal channel (a little hotter on that amp, if I recall correctly).  Bridged the channels?  Fiddled with the tone knobs on the amp and guitar?  Do the tone knobs on the 6g4 behave like they do on the 5f4, where the treble is basically a drive knob?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, dcbc said:

What's wrong with the OD?  I assume you mean that the amp is driving okay, but the guitar just doesn't sound as good as your StratPlus. 

 

Have you tried it through the normal channel (a little hotter on that amp, if I recall correctly).  Bridged the channels?  Fiddled with the tone knobs on the amp and guitar?  Do the tone knobs on the 6g4 behave like they do on the 5f4, where the treble is basically a drive knob?

 

I've actually never played the Strat Plus through it. I'm just spitballing it may be better with the pickups I have in it.

 

From channel to channel has not been a huge change I've found. Somewhat better on Normal, but it's mostly just the character of the distortion is not super pleasing. My next move is swapping out the V1 tube. I put NOS 5881s in it the other day but that was almost zero effect. If pre tubes don't do much I'm going to start tinkering with the cap values on the normal channel.

The controls are a bit different on the 6G4A, it's three generations removed from the 5F4 (5G4, 6G4 in between).

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, G650 said:

but it's mostly just the character of the distortion is not super pleasing

Apples and oranges, but I ran into that when I owned a Princeton Reverb.  Beautiful cleans, but ratty fizzy breakup.  I had it modified to change the way the preamp tubes clipped and eventually sold it because I liked my Deluxe Reverb loads more.  Good luck.

  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Apples and oranges, but I ran into that when I owned a Princeton Reverb.  Beautiful cleans, but ratty fizzy breakup.  I had it modified to change the way the preamp tubes clipped and eventually sold it because I liked my Deluxe Reverb loads more.  Good luck.

Yeah, not going to lie, listening to it next to the brown Deluxe is making it sound worse by comparison.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, G650 said:

Yeah, not going to lie, listening to it next to the brown Deluxe is making it sound worse by comparison.

Nothing Fender sounds like a Brownface Deluxe. 

3 hours ago, DougO said:

 

 

Sounds cool. 

 

You go first.

  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...