Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

Anyone think Evans loves us if we’d beat UGA by 30?

I don’t. 

This is Garrett Wilson "they don't develop WRs" all over again.

Maybe technically correct (at the time he said it), but belies the true reasoning behind his decisions.

• Like 5

Chris Hummer: No. 1 recruit Zach Evans explains lack of Texas schools in top 5

HOUSTON – Zachary Evans knew his mentions would be a bit of a minefield on Tuesday afternoon. The five-star running back and the nation’s No. 1 overall player planned to release his top five later in the day, and there would be one notable exemption from that group: A Texas-based school. Evans dropped his top 5 on Twitter, a group that consisted of Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State and Oklahoma.

No Texas. No Texas A&M. No in-state schools for the North Shore High School rising senior. That will likely come as a shock to many as the Longhorns had long sat as Evans’ leader in the 247Sports Crystal Ball. And while Evans likes Texas following its 10-3 season, he said the Longhorns just aren’t quite there yet from a national perspective in his mind.

“It’s just … you don’t know how to put it,” Evans told 247Sports as a part of a wide-ranging interview. “I don’t want to be disrespectful. I ain’t saying (Texas) can’t win a natty. It’s just at the moment [Texas is] not quite there. You beat Georgia but you barely beat Georgia. What about when it comes to a Bama or go to a Clemson? Texas is a good school, they coming up. It's just ... I don't know."

Evans said competition is one of the most important aspects in his decision-making process, and he sees the schools in his top 5 as annual contenders with dynamic running back rooms that will push him. It should come as no surprise his group consists of a trio of SEC schools; the two others have made the CFB Playoff, with Ohio State winning the title in 2014. “It just really comes with the competition,” Evans said. “They say the SEC is like the NFL, so I’m trying to be down pat.”

The 5-foot-11, 200-pound junior is rated as one of the best running back prospects in a generation. If he finished No. 1 overall in the 2020 class, he’d be the first running back to finish No. 1 in 247Sports Composite since LSU’s Leonard Fournette; other No. 1 overall running backs include Joe McKnight and Adrian Peterson.

Evans is a dynamic back who led North Shore High School to a 6A state championship last season. His testing numbers are elite with a 4.51-second 40-yard dash, a 37-inch vertical and a smoking 3.84 shuttle. The five-star rusher told 247Sports he’d work through his top five and hoped to have a decision made before his senior season or at some point before the playoffs. 247Sports will have much more on Evans in the coming weeks with an in-depth profile of the nation’s No. 1 overall player.

Sounds like UGA's negative recruiting was essentially 1) Texas isn't SEC and 2) "we barely lost to them". Along with the obviou$.

Pretty sad that it worked.

Edited by satyanash

39 minutes ago, Maker Bayfield said:

Remember when missing out on those two RB's last year was ok because that pretty much sealed Evans to Texas.....yeah that was fun.

So you're just going to ignore the *fact* that this locks us in for Camar Wheaton next cycle? Holy pessimistic attitude 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Man what a bad couple weeks on the recruiting front between this, Ringo news, and Bru. Let's hope for a momentum swing soon

Also, I won't be surprised at all if Evans ends up changing his mind and considering us again. An LSU beatdown could help although I suspect his quote has very little to do with the real reasons for leaving us out

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Any reasoning he throws out about Texas not being a championship contender, not beating Georgia badly enough, etc., is complete horseshit.  He doesn’t even list Clemson in his top 5 that is supposedly all about going to a championship contender.

Clemson didn't offer Evans.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

LSU hasn’t lost less than 3 games since 2011.  This year was their first top 10 finish since 2011, with a 10-3 record and a narrow win over UCF (who was missing its QB) in the Fiesta Bowl.

Any reasoning he throws out about Texas not being a championship contender, not beating Georgia badly enough, etc., is complete horseshit.  He doesn’t even list Clemson in his top 5 that is supposedly all about going to a championship contender.

He wants to see how we would do against Bama. But we already know how LSU does against Bama. Apparently it's better to lose 8 straight and the last 29-0 than to not play them. 

Honestly trying to use logic with this one is pointless. 

PS let's ass blast LSU in September

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Is Tim Beck recruiting Bijan since he’s an Arizona kid?   I hope the answer to that is, “Yes.”

Quote from IT a couple weeks ago:

"Robinson has remained steadily in touch with the staff, especially coach Beck and coach Drayton."

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Has Ja'Quinden already "committed" to an all-star game? (I hate that I just typed that)

Looks like he has an invite pinned on his twitter but no idea if he "committed" to one. Probably what this is if I had to make an uneducated guess

What bothers me isn't the fact that Evans isn't coming here - I'd be perfectly thrilled with Bijan +1 -  it's just the complete lack of critical and analytical skills at work here.    It's a problem with society at large, too.  Do schools no longer teach these?  With regard to recruiting, I would simply bemoan the gullibility of high school kids were it not for the particular schools that continually end up as the finalists.  I didn't think Zeke had his hand out, but now...

Edited by cafe society

Just now, longhornmatt said:

This will be the 4th recruiting class (counting the transition class) for Herman’s staff.  During that period, I wonder what recruits have we landed (or have commitments from) that were primarily recruited by Drayton?  Ingram and Toneil Carter?  

Are there even any recruits other than RBs?  Plus, it seems some of our RB recruits had/have other coaches doing heavy lifting.  Washington was covering Georgia and in on Derrian Brown.  Beck covers Arizona and is in on Bijan.

Ideally, your RB coach is a rainmaker like Beck or Tim Brewster bringing in not just RBs, but also big time recruits at various different positions.  

I mean - yikes.   I get that Mehringer has a douche haircut, but I think the overall level of scorn for recruiting deficiencies on our offensive staff is severely misplaced on this board.

Golfclap right now.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Super K is here to confuse you all even more. On Evans, Ja'Quinden Jackson, and Oklahoma:

***Ja’Quinden Jackson has announced that his commitment is coming soon…

Look for Texas and LSU to battle in this one. This may or may not be *part* of the potential good news I’ve been mentioning.

Speculate away.

***It does indeed appear as I noted this afternoon that Evans top five is somehow connected to Kendall Miltons. Four of the five schools included in Evans top five were Miltons top four. If Milton had added a fifth, we believe it would have been OU.

Oklahoma being included in Zach’s top is an interesting one, still. And this may sound strange but I think either one of three things…

***Evans included Oklahoma in order to send a message to some other school or schools. As in, Oklahoma isn’t really in it and Oklahoma isn’t really recruiting him.

***Oklahoma is his leader.

***Or this isn’t the real list.

Sound confusing? I don’t even know where to begin to break it all down and I’m not permitted to share most if it so let me sit with this for a bit and figure how I might be able to at least communicate some rationale points of clarification.

Part of the issue is that Oklahoma has five sets of unannounced Lincoln Riley eyes (OU’s version of Carrington’s shhh) out and anything I say could potentially divulge who one or more of those eyes are and obviously we have a policy not to do that.

• Like 2

Well the good ol days of getting the best in Texas seem long gone lol. I do wonder how good Texas could be getting the top kids in state every year but the $ec trojan horse via aggy has really put a hit on that thought ever coming to fruition. 

Edited by RoyalBevo21
  • Fuck You 6

1 minute ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Well the good ol days of getting the best in Texas seem long gone lol. I do wonder how good Texas could be getting the top kids in state every year but these $ec trojan horse via aggy has really put a hit on that thought ever coming to fruition. 

We literally did just that last year lol 

Bijan's Hudl page says he's 210; 247 has him listed at 200. Either way, he's not exactly as small as I had always assumed he was just from hearing him described. Land him, and I'm completely fine with missing out on the Evans drama, especially since George as the "plus one" always seemed like a drag on that ticket anyway.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Super K is here to confuse you all even more. On Evans, Ja'Quinden Jackson, and Oklahoma:

Reveal hidden contents

Look for Texas and LSU to battle in this one. This may or may not be *part* of the potential good news I’ve been mentioning.

Speculate away.

***It does indeed appear as I noted this afternoon that Evans top five is somehow connected to Kendall Miltons. Four of the five schools included in Evans top five were Miltons top four. If Milton had added a fifth, we believe it would have been OU.

Oklahoma being included in Zach’s top is an interesting one, still. And this may sound strange but I think either one of three things…

***Evans included Oklahoma in order to send a message to some other school or schools. As in, Oklahoma isn’t really in it and Oklahoma isn’t really recruiting him.

Sound confusing? I don’t even know where to begin to break it all down and I’m not permitted to share most if it so let me sit with this for a bit and figure how I might be able to at least communicate some rationale points of clarification.

Part of the issue is that Oklahoma has five sets of unannounced Lincoln Riley eyes (OU’s version of Carrington’s shhh) out and anything I say could potentially divulge who one or more of those eyes are and obviously we have a policy not to do that.

I assume the eyes part probably means Seth McGowan is one of the silents and they aren't recruiting Evans anymore

Evans probably just included OU to piss off Oklahoma State and that one 247 mod /s

We've got 3 swings at LSU and OU next year so we'll have our opportunity to change that narrative (not just Zach's) that we aren't contenders

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

Speculate away.

Super K has earned a long leash from me but wtf is that Evans blurb lmao just say what we all know. They aren't recruiting him because they already got their two RBs.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Super K has earned a long leash from me but wtf is that Evans blurb lmao just say what we all know. They aren't recruiting him because they already got their two RBs.

Remember that TFB Texas is an offshoot of the main site, which caters to OU fans. He can't afford to upset them in the slightest.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I assume the eyes part probably means Seth McGowan is one of the silents and they aren't recruiting Evans anymore

Evans probably just included OU to piss off Oklahoma State and that one 247 mod /s

I’m more inclined to think he included OU just to piss us off. 

15 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Bijan's Hudl page says he's 210; 247 has him listed at 200. Either way, he's not exactly as small as I had always assumed he was just from hearing him described. Land him, and I'm completely fine with missing out on the Evans drama, especially since George as the "plus one" always seemed like a drag on that ticket anyway.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought he checked in at 187 lbs. at a recent camp/opening?

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't know if you read through Super K's update, but apparently LSU is the main competition.

Anyway, with Samples and Beck on JQJ, I think we're in good shape.

Yeah I missed it when I wrote that.  He's not going to LSU if he's going to start out at QB.  They already have 2 QB commits.