Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

25 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

While I appreciate the insight (and upvoted your post for sharing actual, non-Colorado podunk-town recruiting talk), it is hilarious that a 9.95er has a 10 point scale and then has fractions of that scale. Like he knows whether something is 6.5 or 7 or 7.5. Give me a fucking break. Why not 7.75? Please. 

Likelihood of a bunch of rubes paying FCB’s salary - 9.95

Edited by Burt Macklin
Dammit Radical Larry

28 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

While I appreciate the insight (and upvoted your post for sharing actual, non-Colorado podunk-town recruiting talk), it is hilarious that a 9.95er has a 10 point scale and then has fractions of that scale. Like he knows whether something is 6.5 or 7 or 7.5. Give me a fucking break. Why not 7.75? Please. 

Hundredths place on a confidence level for recruiting? You're being ridiculous. That's like coming out with 6-minute abs

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

He says its a "locK' he commits to aggy, so I'm guessing he is just a normal aggy down on his knees hoping. Nothing from the ministry shows otherwise as of now. 

To be fair, Broughton is being recruited by Giles so 

Mike at Night: New Crystal Ball pick, DB intel

— I put in a Crystal Ball pick for Jahari Rogers to land at Texas. Florida did a great job on his official visit to Gainesville, but I believe that Texas is still in the best possible position to land him if all goes well on his official visit in June. Texas took a big step in this recruitment when they hosted Rogers for the spring game, and Jason Washington and Ra’Shaad Samples have been all over him. Texas assistants Craig Naivar and Jason Washington were at Arlington High to see Rogers' spring game this evening.

— I was at a private skills workout with Duncanville safety Chris Thompson today. The four-star prospect is lining up the last of his official visits for the month of June. He’s expected to see Auburn, Notre Dame, and Ohio State in the next month. I still have confidence that Texas lands Thompson at the end of the day. He wants to take some visits and give schools chances, but I feel good on my crystal ball pick. Anything can change during official visit season, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see things go down in July. I get the sense that Thompson is tiring with the process.

— File away the name of 2021 Denton Guyer cornerback Deuce Harmon. The younger brother of Oklahoma basketball signee De’Vion Harmon is picking up attention from multiple schools. Texas saw Harmon this spring, and he’s expected to camp in the summer with the Longhorns on two occasions. Harmon is a powerfully built, explosive corner with great physicality.

— It’s been exactly one month since I took over the full-time role at Horns247. Since that time, I’ve seen nearly forty schools, and I’ll wrap my spring tour tomorrow. I just want to take the opportunity to say thank you to the readers of this site. I know EJ is a tough act to follow, but you guys have been great to me over this month. I look forward to the future here.

• Like 3

IT

As the school year comes to an end so too does the spring evaluation period. Though the spring didn't net any commitments the period afforded the coaches the opportunity to hit the road en masse and keep the class running on time. Yes, things have seemed slow with verbal commitments but the staff continues to make the necessary headway for the class to take off over the next 2-3 months. 

The staff saw all the 2020 priority targets as many times as they were allowed within the rules. Players like the Big 3 defensive linemen, cornerback Kitan Crawford, safety Chris Thompson, quarterback Ja'Quinden Jackson, offensive tackle Chad Lindberg, cornerback Jahari Rogers, safety Bryson Washington, et al. Many of these players could find themselves Horns commits before the pads come back on in August.

Coaches will look to parlay the recent exposure to recruits into stronger relationships as they make it to campus for official visits. Texas will host visitors on at least three upcoming weekends and will land a good percentage of those visitors as timelines allow.

Texas feels good with all the aforementioned prospects, but are watching a few recruitments acutely. While OU and A&M aren't posing huge threat for most of the main targets, the national powers are.

Alabama pursuing defensive end Alfred Collins might be a speed bump. We've said a couple of things for a while now: We can't see Collins going to one of UT's chief rivals and the staff may need to bump his visit to the fall. Bama isn't OU or A&M so the legacy wouldn't have that loyalty blood-oath to overcome, plus he'll see Bama twice: once when he makes it to Tuscaloosa and once when they make it to College Station in October. If the staff doesn't push his official visit to the fall (it's tentatively planned for 6/14) then they must feel ultra confident they're landing him.

LSU is another school making things difficult, particularly with safety Lathan Ransom and wide receiver Troy Omeire. We think the Tigers quietly snuck in on Omeire and are the favorites. The feeling is that irks Texas but there are plenty of good options, including the best one (Johnny Wilson), still on the table. UT will make a huge push for Ransom over the next three weeks. That recruitment could very well be won or lost in that time-frame. 

Two schools known for cargo short clad fan bases are offering some competition for two priority targets. Ohio State is complicating the Bijan Robinson pursuit a bit. We still feel good about UT's chances for the highly rated running back but the Buckeyes pose a threat. The team that crushed fOSU in the 2007 National Championship, the Florida Gators, are after Arlington corner Jahari Rogers. Rogers recently visited Gainesville and they did impress him, but we still feel strongly about UT's chances, especially after smoothing some rough edges recently. Both players are scheduled to visit Texas the weekend of 6/21. Robinson will visit Columbus the week before. Columbus and Austin back to back? Hopefully that brings about the clarity it would for most people.

This summer will be big for wide receiver recruiting as the staff looks to cement relationships with California XWR Johnny Wilson and new-ish target Devon Achane. Wilson has yet to visit Austin but will next weekend. Bru McCoy and De'Gabriel Floyd are helping out here and will spend a lot of time with him. This recruitment has barely even kicked off yet. We expect the staff to pull the slack out of the rope and officially get this recruitment up and running. With a good impression UT will have a good shot in this recruitment.

Achane sets up well for the staff. He didn't care about recruiting this spring meaning Texas wasn't late to the party. The electric weapon wants to play running back and the staff can credibly sell him on a dual RB/WR role. With him wanting to decide later in the process they can work on Achane and Mookie Cooper. It's first come, first served for that slot in the class. If it's standing room only and the staff can seat just one give me Achane. 

At safety, Texas feels great on Duncanville's Chris Thompson but is mildly concerned about Bryson Washington. Good, that will have them keeping the gas pedal down on him. Personally, we feel good on Washington and Texas, even after talking to OU people. At this point it's unlikely Xavion Alford will end up in the class unless he wants in and the timing is just right.

Thompson visited Georgia recently but we don't feel they're a true threat to UT. That may have a little something to do with how Georgia has recruited him but who cares. Texas has recruited him harder than anybody. The reason? He's a better fit for Texas than anybody. 

Another Texas/UGA scenario to watch is with Athens, GA., linebacker Len'Neth Whitehead. If Georgia doesn't take him Texas might be able to pounce. Texas is very high on Whitehead. Of course, even if they were able to receive a commitment from him they'd have to monitor the recruitment extremely closely. He's probably a guy Georgia can get at the 11th hour. 

A spot of schadenfreude: Even though Texas isn’t recruiting King Haynes (nee: Haynes King) many are still curious where he'll end up. Jimbo Fisher recently did the unthinkable by doing the thinkable thing of offering the Longview signal caller. This seemingly has holy matrimony written all over it. King loves the college football feudal system that the SEC sits atop and Fisher would love to expand his recruiting kingdom west of the Allegheny. But despite proximity, and Jimbo’s alleged QB development, we’re beginning to see this go in a different direction. King has four OVs set up as of today - Tennessee, Duke, Auburn, and Arkansas. He’ll take an UOV to College Station in early June, but King is growing tiresome of the process and we believe he’ll be committed to his future school before his senior season. Fisher needs to kill that upcoming visit.

Finally: If the current commits are the forms and rebar the next wave could be the concrete foundation. But you know the delays with that process -- a little rain here, a little rain there. It never goes off quite as planned. That said the next 6-8 weeks should determine the class foundation heading into the 2019 season. Behind the scenes, there's a small group of prospects with thoughts of commitment videos on their mind. With a few weeks of sunshine this build should start coming together.

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Mike at Night: New Crystal Ball pick, DB intel

Hide contents

— I put in a Crystal Ball pick for Jahari Rogers to land at Texas. Florida did a great job on his official visit to Gainesville, but I believe that Texas is still in the best possible position to land him if all goes well on his official visit in June. Texas took a big step in this recruitment when they hosted Rogers for the spring game, and Jason Washington and Ra’Shaad Samples have been all over him. Texas assistants Craig Naivar and Jason Washington were at Arlington High to see Rogers' spring game this evening.

— I was at a private skills workout with Duncanville safety Chris Thompson today. The four-star prospect is lining up the last of his official visits for the month of June. He’s expected to see Auburn, Notre Dame, and Ohio State in the next month. I still have confidence that Texas lands Thompson at the end of the day. He wants to take some visits and give schools chances, but I feel good on my crystal ball pick. Anything can change during official visit season, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see things go down in July. I get the sense that Thompson is tiring with the process.

— File away the name of 2021 Denton Guyer cornerback Deuce Harmon. The younger brother of Oklahoma basketball signee De’Vion Harmon is picking up attention from multiple schools. Texas saw Harmon this spring, and he’s expected to camp in the summer with the Longhorns on two occasions. Harmon is a powerfully built, explosive corner with great physicality.

— It’s been exactly one month since I took over the full-time role at Horns247. Since that time, I’ve seen nearly forty schools, and I’ll wrap my spring tour tomorrow. I just want to take the opportunity to say thank you to the readers of this site. I know EJ is a tough act to follow, but you guys have been great to me over this month. I look forward to the future here.

I am sure Roach is one of the good dudes in that industry, but I really wonder if he typed that with a straight face.

Remember with Bama and Collins, Bama took 6 DL last class, already has two studs committed, has another in McKinnley Jackson who's a Bama lean, and Bama always has a dozen to a score of studs they juggle for any given position group, and they recruit all of them like they're prioritized takes. It's not a lock that they'll even have room for Collins in the end, assuming Collins would even choose Bama over Texas. 

50 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I am sure Roach is one of the good dudes in that industry, but I really wonder if he typed that with a straight face. 

The 247 fanbase LOVED EJ, and anybody would know they've got to say classy things about him.  Burton did the same thing.

Only guy not acting classy about EJ's apparently voluntary determination to leave is EJ.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/05/open-post-weekend-may-24th-26th/

Update on the ‘Good News’
– Super K

In a post last week, I noted that Texas needs some good news to get some momentum going for this class.

I had noted that some good news would be on the way and could be coming before the end of the month.

It does look like the good news – in fact, multiple pieces of good news – is still on the way but not likely this month. The timelines are getting pushed back a bit.

I think you’ll start to see things come together in June. As the time gets closer and there I have a more definitive timeline I’ll give you a heads up but based on what I’m hearing, it’s looking like this summer should finally win Texas some recruiting momentum.

Texas Offers 2020 LB | Kalel Mullings
– Charlie S

Earlier this week, Texas extended an offer to 2020 Linebacker Kalel Mullings out of Boston Massachusetts.

Mullings measures in at 6’1″ 225 lbs and he holds well over 20 offers which include Northwestern, Stanford, Michigan, and Clemson.

I was able to touch base with him via messaging. Kalel let me know that he and Coach Orlando have been in communication for a while now. Orlando was planning on getting up to Boston to see him last week, but he was leaving for his official to Northwestern and they were not able to connect.

However, Mullings let me know that Orlando did make it in to see him earlier today.

When I asked him about his interest in Texas, he said: “They have a great team, a great coaching staff, and a top 10 undergraduate business school”. Academics are very important to him and Texas checks that box as well.

I then asked him if there was a chance he would take a visit to Austin and he told me, “I am definitely interested in getting down there. They are having a get together at the end of June (Pool Party) and I will try to get down there for that.”

As far as his recruitment goes, so far he has officially visited Northwestern and he is scheduled to visit Wisconsin in early June. He had been planning on making his commitment at the end of June, but he mentioned he may push that back to the beginning of his season this fall.

I will keep in touch with Kalel and should the visit come together I will let you know.

Cali Update | Johnny Wilson & Justin Flowe
– Super K

A couple of notes here on some 5-star Cali prospects…

***On the Justin Flowe front, it sounds like Texas is trying to get him to Austin for the big June 22nd event.

The issue is whether it will be an official or unofficial visit. Texas would prefer it be an unofficial visit so that they can hold the official visit till the season.

Personally, I think this plan would be the most sound. Let’s face it, you aren’t going to land a player like Justin Flowe off of one visit. So, in my estimation, bringing him on an official visit right now may solidify you in the race but you’re going to have to end up getting him back out on a second visit, anyway. If you’re going to only get one visit out him (as in an official) then it doesn’t seem wise to shoot that shot this early.

This one is still in the works.

***I’m also told that the staff is trying to get 5-star WR, Johnny Wilson on campus during the first weekend of June.

This visit would not be an official visit. If it happens (and it still isn’t locked in) it would be an unofficial visit.

The issue with unofficial visits, of course, is whether the player is able to make it out on their dime.

Again, this is something Texas is working on but it isn’t set in stone either, yet.

Lathan Ransom Sets Two Texas Visits
– Super K

I checked in with the father of 4-star AZ DB, Lathan Ransom and he tells me that Lathan has nailed down not just one but two visits to Texas this summer.

Earlier this year we were first to report that Ransom would be in Austin for an unofficial visit from May 31st to June 3rd. As I noted at that time, they have family friends in the Austin area.

But Ransom’s father tells me they will return to Austin almost immediately after that unofficial visit for an official visit on June 14th-16th.

Ransom has already taken official visits to OU and LSU. Texas will make his third OV.

He will also visit Notre Dame on June 8th-10th and then Ohio State on June 21st-23rd.

So, it seems safe to say that Texas, OU, LSU, Notre Dame and Ohio State are in his top group.

In terms of a decision timeline, Lathan’s father says, “he hasn’t planned that yet. Should be around July or August time frame”.

In other words, he will finish his OVs in June and then make a summer decision, most likely.

So doing some quick tablecloth math, if Texas were to add the 6 guys IT predicts in the next couple months (Crawford, Lindberg, Washington, Rogers, Thompson and Jackson) we would be sitting at 11 commits, and the per player average would be 93.43. That is good for 4th in per player average in the country, behind Clemson, LSU, and Georgia. It would also put us at 216.88, good for 5th overall in the rankings. 

And that's without serious heavy hitters and possible risers still out there like Broughton, Collins, Evans/Robinson, Wilson, Flowe, Ransom, and the kid from Temple.

That's a seriously great position to be in with most of out big rankings guys outstanding. We'd be really sitting in a great spot. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So doing some quick tablecloth math, if Texas were to add the 6 guys IT predicts in the next couple months (Crawford, Lindberg, Washington, Rogers, Thompson and Jackson) we would be sitting at 11 commits, and the per player average would be 93.43. That is good for 4th in per player average in the country, behind Clemson, LSU, and Georgia. It would also put us at 216.88, good for 5th overall in the rankings. 

And that's without serious heavy hitters and possible risers still out there like Broughton, Collins, Evans/Robinson, Wilson, Flowe, Ransom, and the kid from Temple.

That's a seriously great position to be in with most of out big rankings guys outstanding. We'd be really sitting in a great spot. 

I don't think Jackson commits before the season starts, and I don't think IT is predicting that either, but I agree that things are shaping up really nicely.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't think Jackson commits before the season starts, and I don't think IT is predicting that either, but I agree that things are shaping up really nicely.

Well,  this is a direct quote from like the second paragraph from today's Humidor:

The staff saw all the 2020 priority targets as many times as they were allowed within the rules. Players like the Big 3 defensive linemen, cornerback Kitan Crawford, safety Chris Thompson, quarterback Ja'Quinden Jackson, offensive tackle Chad Lindeberg, cornerback Jahari Rogers, safety Bryson Washington, et al. Many of these players could find themselves Horns commits before the pads come back on in August.

Sure, he says MANY, and not all, but he included Jackson in that group, man. It's not like I'm pulling shit out of thin air. 

But yes, the point is that even with many of the guys we wouldn't even consider as the vanguard players of the class we're looking pretty damn good. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Huh, lame

One of his coaches has been on Texas boards since the beginning of this recruitment saying that there was no way he was going to Texas due to driving distance, and that it was Tech, OU, or maybe TCU

Just now, Fud said:

One of his coaches has been on Texas boards since the beginning of this recruitment saying that there was no way he was going to Texas due to driving distance, and that it was Tech, OU, or maybe TCU

Ohio State's just a skip and jump from his house. 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

That's too bad.  Gruver to Austin is a ways (8ish hours), but it's a really easy drive.  You don't have to get on any interstate, and you don't get mangled in any of the Dallas to Austin traffic.

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

That's too bad.  Gruver to Austin is a ways (8ish hours), but it's a really easy drive.  You don't have to get on any interstate, and you don't get mangled in any of the Dallas to Austin traffic.

Just a typical west Texas district game 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I cannot imagine how any drive that is 8 hours long is easy. Especially one you would do a minimum of 6 times a year as a parent.  I actually have respect for the guy if that's a priority to be close to home and he chooses Tech. 

1 minute ago, mr. sunshine said:

I would too if 4 of his 6 finalists weren’t further from Gruver than Austin

They're probably just filler hats on the table. He cut out us and Okie Lite, who he actually had decent relationships with, most likely to draw a line that they're out.