Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I don’t care if Evans is a shithead who was never going to come here (fuck that quote he gave about us), Drayton put himself in a position where Evans was a must-get. Sorry you pushed your chips all-in on a bad hand, but you gotta leave the table now.

Not unless we miss on Bijan

Edited by texifornia

He’s going to Bama. Read between the lines. 

Doesn’t know how we would handle Bama or Clemson.

George has a Bama offer. 

And it’s not a narrative, it’s a fact that they churn propel into NFL. A guy who wasn’t even their starting RB got picked in the first round.

Throw in their sophisticated “operation” and they can pretty much get anybody they want, outside of players who have special connections with local schools or specific cos he’s. 

51 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Well the good ol days of getting the best in Texas seem long gone lol. I do wonder how good Texas could be getting the top kids in state every year but the $ec trojan horse via aggy has really put a hit on that thought ever coming to fruition. 

Whoop! right?

• Like 1

Man I really cannot wait for Tom to get his shot at that midget fuckhead Saban.  I’ve said it before but my fucking Dream is for us to knock the shit out of their QB and stomp them in the title sending their program into a 10 year death spiral.  The only time the pricks beat us was when we lost Colt and we still almost beat the fucking shitbags!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Lol. 85 percent could be shot at ketch.   Nahlin seemed to hint that it ain’t over with evans

I don't care about Evans at this point. Land one RB1 who isn't playing stupid games with us and let the rest of the RB chips fall where they may.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't care about Evans at this point. Land one RB1 who isn't playing stupid games with us and let the rest of the RB chips fall where they may.

Unfortunately this is the attitude we have to take. Evans is gonna be ridiculous stud, but it’s not in the cards. Keep improving, beat some fucking ass this year, and eventually we will start pulling more Evans-like players. 

Just now, RoyalBevo21 said:

What are the backup plans if the wheels really come off at RB and we miss on Evans, and Bijan? Any other offers out there? I'm guessing it'd just be for depth and change focus to '21 and tell Drayton to get lost. 

We need an RB1 in the class. Ty Jordan wouldn't really fit that, so yeah there'd be new offers.

Maybe Kevontre Bradford: https://247sports.com/player/kevontre-bradford-46041118/

Just now, RoyalBevo21 said:

What are the backup plans if the wheels really come off at RB and we miss on Evans, and Bijan? Any other offers out there? I'm guessing it'd just be for depth and change focus to '21 and tell Drayton to get lost. 

We try to flip Jase McClellan.

We push for one of Ty Jordan or that TCU commit from Oklahoma City. Or both. Or even the kid from Manor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

LSU hasn’t lost less than 3 games since 2011.  This year was their first top 10 finish since 2011, with a 10-3 record and a narrow win over UCF (who was missing its QB) in the Fiesta Bowl.

Any reasoning he throws out about Texas not being a championship contender, not beating Georgia badly enough, etc., is complete horseshit.  He doesn’t even list Clemson in his top 5 that is supposedly all about going to a championship contender.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Clemson didn't offer Evans.

Well Clemson showed interest, but Dabo likes to see the recruit reciprocate the interest and it became obvious what kind of recruitment this was turning into.... 

• Like 2

Just now, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Well Clemson showed interest, but Dabo likes to see the recruit reciprocate the interest and it became obvious what kind of recruitment this was turning into.... 

And it was smart. They landed Bowman early and removed themselves from having to particpate in the clown fiesta that is Evans' recruitment.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Plus the "bleeding vaginas" thread... overflows.

Yep.  This recruiting season is getting fun now.  We will get ours and have a top 10, maybe top 5 class.  The North Shore pair can work at a Pasadena, Baton Rouge or Athens Wendy's if their NFL careers don't pan out.  I am not sure if Tuscaloosa has a Wendy's.  Former Texas players connecting with Texas Exes likely do better in the long game of life, networking and business, but it  is not a "my family" decision so whatever will be will be.  

Mike at Night: Assessing the state of recruiting

— This week will be a little bit slow. The coaching staff is finishing up vacation before jumping into the summer camp circuit. Texas will get rolling this weekend with the SMU/Texas camp in Dallas on Sunday. Camps will continue throughout next week in Austin before the staff heads to California for a camp with Cal Lutheran. With that in mind, I figured I’d use Mike at Night to talk about the state of recruiting.

— Progress has obviously been slow this year, and I get that it’s frustrating for fans to follow. It can be equally as frustrating to cover at times, but I think we should see some action in the next few months. June will be a huge visit month for the Longhorns, and that starts this weekend with the unofficial visits of elite out of state targets Lathan Ransom (Tucson, Ariz./Salpointe Catholic) and Johnny Wilson (Calabasas, Calif.). Both prospects are coming in on their own dime and returning later this month for official visits. I’ve often talked about the indicators needed from out of state prospects to consider Texas a serious contender, and two visits in one month certainly falls in that category.

— I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t expecting a few more commitments in May than there were. Under Herman’s watch, Texas typically heated up a bit in May before rolling into the summer. I think that this class has been a bit different than previous groups navigating the early signing period. This is still a testing out phase, and while the last two classes seemingly committed earlier, this class is targeting more summer visits and decisions. Of the Top 50 prospects in the state, according to 247Sports, 23 are currently committed. Four of those prospects are currently in the Texas class (Hudson Card, Jaylen Garth, Logan Parr, and Jake Majors).

— I’ve mentioned it multiple times, but there is no need to push the panic button until mid-July. I think it’s likely we see late June and early July set off a few commitments, and several major targets want to make a decision before their senior seasons start. Looking at where this class stands in mid-August might assuage some fears.

— I’d also be lying if I said I didn’t expect Texas to get more early momentum from the Sugar Bowl win than they did. I think that the performance made an impact on some 2020 guys, but 2021 prospects seem to be mentioning it more. The Longhorns plan for this to be a smaller class, and they are targeting quality in their takes, but I expected one or two more big names to attach themselves in the spring. I still really like the foundation of this class. Card is the QB1 take that many schools would love, and the offensive line group is off to a better start than I can remember in recent years. Jaden Hullaby is probably undervalued at this point because of the ambiguity in his fit, but I think it was a shrewd evaluation by Texas to target a player they feel can bring something new to their offense.

— When you strive year in and year out to be ranked in the Top 5 nationally for recruiting, you’re going to be playing in some very high stakes recruitments. I know you guys want to hear that the Longhorns are running away in every race they are in, but they are battling some pretty tough teams when it comes to landing these prospects. That makes for some high-wire acts and close races, but this is life recruiting as an elite. If you look at the board right now, Texas sits in a pretty good position with the majority of their top targets.

— If you asked me what I’m worried about in this class, I would say that there are still some positions that cause me concern. Running back would probably be one of them. Texas is trending down for Zachary Evans, and they are going to continue to push to flip Oklahoma commit Jase McClellan. I think they are in really good shape with Salpointe Catholic running back Bijan Robinson, and they have the chance to establish a lead in his recruitment following his official visit. Still, when you’re playing in that class it can be feast or famine as Texas fans saw last year. I do believe that the staff is lining up quality RB2 takes, but they need a home run hitter this year.

— I’m not that worried right now about defensive line recruiting. I think that Texas lands at least two of their big three in-state (Alfred Collins, Vernon Broughton, and Princely Umanmielen), and I think they’ve shown the ability to find guys who are undervalued. I’m also not particularly worried about wide receiver. I think we’ve seen over time that while receivers generate the most buzz, the state is spitting out quality options all over. This will be a smaller receiver class as it is, and I don’t think any wide receiver makes or breaks a class.

— I say all of this to say, I understand the frustration of following and covering a stagnant class. Texas certainly does not have a perfect recruiting effort, but they’ve been pretty good over the last few cycles. There are some areas of concern (and there will be every year), but now isn’t the time to push the panic button. Stick around, it could be a fun summer.

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike at Night: Assessing the state of recruiting

Hide contents

— This week will be a little bit slow. The coaching staff is finishing up vacation before jumping into the summer camp circuit. Texas will get rolling this weekend with the SMU/Texas camp in Dallas on Sunday. Camps will continue throughout next week in Austin before the staff heads to California for a camp with Cal Lutheran. With that in mind, I figured I’d use Mike at Night to talk about the state of recruiting.

— Progress has obviously been slow this year, and I get that it’s frustrating for fans to follow. It can be equally as frustrating to cover at times, but I think we should see some action in the next few months. June will be a huge visit month for the Longhorns, and that starts this weekend with the unofficial visits of elite out of state targets Lathan Ransom (Tucson, Ariz./Salpointe Catholic) and Johnny Wilson (Calabasas, Calif.). Both prospects are coming in on their own dime and returning later this month for official visits. I’ve often talked about the indicators needed from out of state prospects to consider Texas a serious contender, and two visits in one month certainly falls in that category.

— I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t expecting a few more commitments in May than there were. Under Herman’s watch, Texas typically heated up a bit in May before rolling into the summer. I think that this class has been a bit different than previous groups navigating the early signing period. This is still a testing out phase, and while the last two classes seemingly committed earlier, this class is targeting more summer visits and decisions. Of the Top 50 prospects in the state, according to 247Sports, 23 are currently committed. Four of those prospects are currently in the Texas class (Hudson Card, Jaylen Garth, Logan Parr, and Jake Majors).

— I’ve mentioned it multiple times, but there is no need to push the panic button until mid-July. I think it’s likely we see late June and early July set off a few commitments, and several major targets want to make a decision before their senior seasons start. Looking at where this class stands in mid-August might assuage some fears.

— I’d also be lying if I said I didn’t expect Texas to get more early momentum from the Sugar Bowl win than they did. I think that the performance made an impact on some 2020 guys, but 2021 prospects seem to be mentioning it more. The Longhorns plan for this to be a smaller class, and they are targeting quality in their takes, but I expected one or two more big names to attach themselves in the spring. I still really like the foundation of this class. Card is the QB1 take that many schools would love, and the offensive line group is off to a better start than I can remember in recent years. Jaden Hullaby is probably undervalued at this point because of the ambiguity in his fit, but I think it was a shrewd evaluation by Texas to target a player they feel can bring something new to their offense.

— When you strive year in and year out to be ranked in the Top 5 nationally for recruiting, you’re going to be playing in some very high stakes recruitments. I know you guys want to hear that the Longhorns are running away in every race they are in, but they are battling some pretty tough teams when it comes to landing these prospects. That makes for some high-wire acts and close races, but this is life recruiting as an elite. If you look at the board right now, Texas sits in a pretty good position with the majority of their top targets.

— If you asked me what I’m worried about in this class, I would say that there are still some positions that cause me concern. Running back would probably be one of them. Texas is trending down for Zachary Evans, and they are going to continue to push to flip Oklahoma commit Jase McClellan. I think they are in really good shape with Salpointe Catholic running back Bijan Robinson, and they have the chance to establish a lead in his recruitment following his official visit. Still, when you’re playing in that class it can be feast or famine as Texas fans saw last year. I do believe that the staff is lining up quality RB2 takes, but they need a home run hitter this year.

— I’m not that worried right now about defensive line recruiting. I think that Texas lands at least two of their big three in-state (Alfred Collins, Vernon Broughton, and Princely Umanmielen), and I think they’ve shown the ability to find guys who are undervalued. I’m also not particularly worried about wide receiver. I think we’ve seen over time that while receivers generate the most buzz, the state is spitting out quality options all over. This will be a smaller receiver class as it is, and I don’t think any wide receiver makes or breaks a class.

— I say all of this to say, I understand the frustration of following and covering a stagnant class. Texas certainly does not have a perfect recruiting effort, but they’ve been pretty good over the last few cycles. There are some areas of concern (and there will be every year), but now isn’t the time to push the panic button. Stick around, it could be a fun summer.

I wonder if you ever read what you post from the paid sites. If you did, you would be a lot less whiny.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

No one will ever want to play here again. We’ll become the Texas A&M of the Big 12. 

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Who could that Top 5 even be without either Texas school?

LSU, Alabama are obvious. But who are the other 3? Georgia? Oklahoma? What a weird ass recruitment

Colorado School of Mines.  He wants to be an engineer.   I feel bad about sitting on this info for several months.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I wonder if you ever read what you post from the paid sites. If you did, you would be a lot less whiny. 

This would require taking $9.95-er reports at face value... $9.95-er websites put a positive spin on what they report all the time. Why do you think "drinking the Kool-Aid" becomes a thing during spring/summer workouts? Eric Nahlin straight-up said Texas will get a top 5 class at the beginning of this cycle. That's the kind of baseline we're working with with these reports.

You can make the case that it's more revealing when they occasionally report something in a negative fashion, because it's further from their default way of presenting information.

Edited by satyanash

16 minutes ago, satyanash said:

This would require taking $9.95-er reports at face value... $9.95-er websites put a positive spin on what they report all the time. Why do you think "drinking the Kool-Aid" becomes a thing during spring/summer workouts? Eric Nahlin straight-up said Texas will get a top 5 class at the beginning of this cycle. That's the kind of baseline we're working with with these reports.

You can make the case that it's more revealing when they occasionally report something in a negative fashion, because it's further from their default way of presenting information.

You take 9.95er reports at face value when they report something vaguely negative.

• Like 2