Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

8 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Two coaches on the staff have told me that Georgia is taking it to a whole new level beyond what Alabama does. They also said Aggy is trying to do the same. I asked about Clemson and they both said that Clemson is not as bad as the SEC and used it as an example of hope that a team can win without buying every player. 

Clemson just buys a 5* WR or DE every once in awhile. I'd settle for that. 

No way Kirby Smart is some affable mother fucker that these kids can't wait to play for.

Saban is the antithesis of "affable" on purpose and very successfully running this thing into "best ever" status.

Fuck "Herman is too distant from the players"

aggy is a flea on an ameba on a tick...whatever they are doing  by overtly paying players and hiring AD's that overtly supports paying players won't really make a dent, because the old guard in the SEC will keep them properly locked down once they  make anything resembling a threat

But Georgia and Alabama have broken field running here, and there is no police force who might confront them and it has zero to do with "Herman not getting close to the players" nor "Texas 'barely' beating Georgia. 

Edited by TtomTerrific

If we’re going to sit out the shenanigans and not be competitive, should I bother holding out hope that the constant escalation will happen exponentially and cause the ncaa or some other governing body to actually do something to either reign it in or make it ok?

or are we just going to plod along hands in pockets while wearing our shirts that say morally superior?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If we’re going to sit out the shenanigans and not be competitive, should I bother holding out hope that the constant escalation will happen exponentially and cause the ncaa or some other governing body to actually do something to either reign it in or make it ok?

or are we just going to plod along hands in pockets while wearing our shirts that say morally superior?

Isn't that just a Michigan (or Notre Dame) shirt?

so far....the NCAA seems most concerned with keeping Olympic Moguls Skiers who happen to return punts for Colorado out of the football games and allowing for Johnny to be allowed to sell autographs while his equally dork fuck "agent" throws one dollar bills out of a hefty bag.

something about high school Spanish and Aaron Ross couldn't enroll here cuz he transferred highschools or something. 

I cannot recall anything else that I have read about where they were involved and enforced a Goddamned thing.

But we can't use the Longhorn Network to our recruiting advantage because we might "ruffle some feathers"

We need to quit being pussies. ....Herman is the guy to do that...it will spread throughout the department.....once Del Conte gets equally jaded, it is fucking on.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Two coaches on the staff have told me that Georgia is taking it to a whole new level beyond what Alabama does. They also said Aggy is trying to do the same. I asked about Clemson and they both said that Clemson is not as bad as the SEC and used it as an example of hope that a team can win without buying every player.

Yeah, you recruit to your scheme and develop you can have success. Clemson right now plays in a conference where their B game is enough to win most Saturdays. Bama and Georgia play in a conference where their B game is good enough 10 Saturdays on the season. I'm not sure about the Big 12 right now, because there was some significant coach turnover this season, but Herman was 6-2 against the coaches that left. It took Dabo a few years (losing record in his 2nd full season, 3rd season overall) before the 10 win seasons started, and then a few more for Clemsoning not to be a thing. 8 straight 10+ win seasons and 55-4 in the last 4 seasons.

The NCAA doesn't want to lose the major football conferences by cracking down on cheating (and doesn't want to spend the money required to do so), and big football doesn't want to lose it's free indentured servants by leaving the NCAA

So we're in stasis

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

So what was the impetus for Georgia cranking things up? Just finally fed up with being behind Bama and Kirby Dgaf?

Kirby learned from Saban how to cheat efficiently and effectively. Smart also will need a talent gap to be successful.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, deech said:

Evans visit to Ole miss whose not in his Top 5 shows you exactly what is going on with his recruitment. 

this needs to be at the top of everyone's mind when they post anything about evans.  recruits are open to being bought usually have the same schools on their lists.  that's not a fucking coincidence.

when they start asking show me the money, texas is out of the picture.  texas has and can win without reverting to sec and oregon style of cheating.

7 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Don't even care. Still going to land a top 5 class comfortably.

Might want to tap the breaks there, buddy. There are 4 schools ahead of us, and that are currently IN the top 5, that cheat early and often. So basically you're saying we're going to be the #1 school that is relatively clean, and that means beating out Miami, Oregon, Ohio State, OU, Florida, Florida St., or aTm, all schools that are happy to cheat or can recruit well (at least by rankings). 

I'm not saying you're wrong that we end up in the top 5, but maybe you want to take a step back and perhaps look up the definition of "comfortably" in this context. 

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Might want to tap the breaks there, buddy. There are 4 schools ahead of us, and that are currently IN the top 5, that cheat early and often. So basically you're saying we're going to be the #1 school that is relatively clean, and that means beating out Miami, Oregon, Ohio State, OU, Florida, Florida St., or aTm, all schools that are happy to cheat or can recruit well (at least by rankings). 

I'm not saying you're wrong that we end up in the top 5, but maybe you want to take a step back and perhaps look up the definition of "comfortably" in this context.  

We'd need guys like Broughton, Collins, Washington, Jackson, Crawford, etc to fly up the rankings. It's possible, but not something I'd count on. 

Accidentally put this on the Bru McCoy thread, but the discussion is mostly happening here:

I've tested out the concept of doing what it takes to land prized recruits in conversations with the regime, so to speak. They're delusional. They don't believe or understand that the basketball program has been doing what it needs to do on the recruiting front for two decades. They also believe there is some sort of moral high ground that has value to the alumni base because "we don't want to be in the headlines for the wrong reasons". They're living in fantasyland that anyone gives a shit - the NCAA, the Big 12, the media, the fans.

My view is that Herman is too competitive to just give up on the blue chips because we therefore get to perch up on moral high ground, and he's too narcissistic to think that he's missing on recruits because of any failure on his own part. When he hits that psychological intersection after losing to pieces of shit like Georgia on the recruiting front repeatedly, he'll walk down the hall to the basketball area and compare notes with Shaka Smart and build from there. That's the hope.

For those who hope differently, I guess I have to ask why you're stuck in a bygone era? The recruiting landscape today involves paying players to come to your school, and there isn't anyone walking around that seems to care about that outside of Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, Wisconsin and the other academically-acclaimed schools not named Duke, Florida, USC and North Carolina.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Fud said:

We'd need guys like Broughton, Collins, Washington, Jackson, Crawford, etc to fly up the rankings. It's possible, but not something I'd count on. 

Yeah, that's my point. On top of that, I'm not to the point yet where I'm willing to toss Broughton, Collins, or even Dorbah and Crawford into the calculator, either. 

23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, that 6th Street has shown up during a period of bad news to tell us we need to cheat more.

This never happens.

Why shouldn't we pay players more frequently? There doesn't seem to be any enforcement by the NCAA

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, that's my point. On top of that, I'm not to the point yet where I'm willing to toss Broughton, Collins, or even Dorbah and Crawford into the calculator, either. 

I'd put Crawford and Dorbah there out of this group. Broughton is too valuable and in demand, and is still taking visits for him to be calculator, and the Collins recruitment has been too unorthodox to feel too confident for me. It's semantics though. We're likely landing them, it'll be interesting to see if some of these guys get the massive bumps they deserve.

Broughton is a 5* in my book; 6'5 285 pound guys who move like he does at that weight, who look like they weigh maybe 260, and who by all accounts are good citizens who will work hard, should be at worst top 50, imo. 

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Accidentally put this on the Bru McCoy thread, but the discussion is mostly happening here:

I've tested out the concept of doing what it takes to land prized recruits in conversations with the regime, so to speak. They're delusional. They don't believe or understand that the basketball program has been doing what it needs to do on the recruiting front for two decades. They also believe there is some sort of moral high ground that has value to the alumni base because "we don't want to be in the headlines for the wrong reasons". They're living in fantasyland that anyone gives a shit - the NCAA, the Big 12, the media, the fans.

My view is that Herman is too competitive to just give up on the blue chips because we therefore get to perch up on moral high ground, and he's too narcissistic to think that he's missing on recruits because of any failure on his own part. When he hits that psychological intersection after losing to pieces of shit like Georgia on the recruiting front repeatedly, he'll walk down the hall to the basketball area and compare notes with Shaka Smart and build from there. That's the hope.

For those who hope differently, I guess I have to ask why you're stuck in a bygone era? The recruiting landscape today involves paying players to come to your school, and there isn't anyone walking around that seems to care about that outside of Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, Wisconsin and the other academically-acclaimed schools not named Duke, Florida, USC and North Carolina.

That's it. This hyped me. One of you comfortably-6-figure sons a bitches get me a bag. Uncle Bag's gunna get this shit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

From TFLoss on spurstalk.

OrangeBloods commented today that UT definitely leads for RB Bijan Robinson after speaking with an "impeccable source."

They even went as far to say him committing on his official visit isn't out of the question

giphy.gif

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

That's it. This hyped me. One of you comfortably-6-figure sons a bitches get me a bag. Uncle Bag's gunna get this shit. 

I'm in. How much does one "bag" cost? Think recruits will take dave n busters player cards? Cause I am light on cash at the moment

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

OrangeBloods commented today that UT definitely leads for RB Bijan Robinson after speaking with an "impeccable source."

They even went as far to say him committing on his official visit isn't out of the question

Appreciate the recruiting bit Elmer, but I wonder if OB is blowing smoke up the asses of their subscriber bases given the timing of events.

EDIT: bevo14 beat me to it.

Edited by UDontKnow

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Oh here we go. Whoever it was at OB who said this probably has named his dick "Impeccable Source." 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

I'm in. How much does one "bag" cost? Think recruits will take dave n busters player cards? Cause I am light on cash at the moment

I kept all my report cards from HS and college, so I can give them those and they can redeem them for numerous tokens at Chuck-E-Cheese.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KYHorn said:

I kept all my report cards from HS and college, so I can give them those and they can redeem them for numerous tokens at Chuck-E-Cheese.

I can add a few thousand tickets that my kids won at Austin’s Park ... contingent on a LOI to Texas of course.

Texas uses big donors' ranches for events, have CEO's come in and speak with the players. How hard is it to just leave bags of money for recruits during these?

Just hire an events planner like big companies do for their annual recognition club trips. Instead of a Yeti cup and an Apple TV or some shit, just drop an envelope full of money.

Have the bills torn in half. They get the other half when they sign.

I am all for Texas having bagmen. Fuck the high ground, anyone kidding themselves that football players are real students anymore are beyond naive.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

*looks around

"Say kid. I made this beef jerky myself. Remember where you got it from... *whispers* hook 'em!"

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

2018 Clemson CFP
2017 Alabama CFP
2016 Clemson CFP
2015 Alabama CFP
2014 Ohio State CFP
2013 Florida State BCS
2012 Alabama BCS
2011 Alabama BCS
2010 Auburn BCS
2009 Alabama BCS
2008 Florida BCS
2007 Louisiana State BCS
2006 Florida BCS
2005 Texas BCS
2004 Southern California* BCS.

Who has been winning titles lately should drive home CTJs point.

Edited by Not a Sock

36 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

6 figs doesn't get you a bag. You can make six figs easy straight out of college in tech and your average young engineer can't be a bagman.

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Simmer down, Copernicus. 

He thinks 6 figs is $100K, but forgot that $999K is also 6 figs.

Just for the record, when we say 6 figs, we aren't including the numbers after the decimal point are we?

Edited by Bevo

50 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

That's not really what OB said. This isn't the first time TFLoss has misconstrued stuff from Suchomel. 

Here's the actual quote. It was a response to a thread about Justin Wells saying Texas leads for Bijan. People were asking if the staff could get Bijan to shut it down during his visit which is the only reason he mentioned the visit at all. 

"I do agree on Bijan though. Heard it from an impeccable source last night. Don't know if he'll commit on his visit, but I could see a decision coming shortly after that trip."

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

He thinks 6 figs is $100K, but forgot that $999K is also 6 figs.

And that I also used "comfortably"-6-figures.

But tbh, from what I understand of bag-men, you can work one or two recruits for cheaper than you'd think. You're not working them all. 

Edited by UncleBuck