Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

You reminded me of something else. Dixon ran a 10.8 this spring, I believe. He’s physically back. He’s from east Texas and tough as fucking nails. He has wanted to commit for a fucking year. They’re arrogantly slow-playing him and leaving the door open for Traylor and others. Just take the fucking little brother of your starting tailback. He can play three different positions and the two he can play on offense offer up the kind of flexibility that Herman craves. This one is dumb to me. Dumber than fucking with Johnston and ball gargling Omeire, really. 

Supposed to be a very high character kid, as well. That's an underrated quality for the position where dipshit divas can struggle to learn intricacies of route running and the playbook, and don't want to sell out on blocking. 

I like Achane better at slot, and I like Johnston better at Z, but Omeire is meh and I'd rather either have a higher upside guy like Fuounji for that spot, or someone with more positional flexibility like Dixon, assuming Omeire is really as slow as some of his 40 times show 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Am I the only person that thinks it’s fair that Fud be required to go catch a Temple game this fall and report back?

If you lobby to get beer into high school games, then my chances of going to a game go up tenfold 

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

To be fair, most of us don't have access to full games and practice tapes of these kids, or the ability to talk to their coaches and others who attend practices, which is really the only way to assess how good a receivers hands are. The coaches do have this access, and if a kid has bad hands or doesn't track the ball, he needs to be downgraded. Should a WR with rare physical abilities potentially get somewhat of a pass on poor hands? I think that's potentially fair, although the region is always so loaded at WR that it shouldn't be difficult to find stud WRs without any warts. 

I mean I definitely get what you’re saying, but his film shows a guy who can track the ball and use his body to make the play. he has some incredible catches on film and almost always plucks the ball with his hands instead of letting it get into his body. At a minimum, he has the skill to be a good catcher of the ball, even if he’s inconsistent right now, and John Burt notwithstanding, most guys can improve their hands a lot with enough reps. 

Maybe there’s some character concerns or he’s unbelievably inconsistent with catching in games/practices, but the second one seems really unlikely based on what we know.

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

I mean I definitely get what you’re saying, but his film shows a guy who can track the ball and use his body to make the play. he has some incredible catches on film and almost always plucks the ball with his hands instead of letting it get into his body. At a minimum, he has the skill to be a good catcher of the ball, even if he’s inconsistent right now, and John Burt notwithstanding, most guys can improve their hands a lot with enough reps.  

Maybe there’s some character concerns or he’s unbelievably inconsistent with catching in games/practices, but the second one seems really unlikely based on what we know.

Quite a few times I've been a big fan of a WR, only to be told "there are concerns about his hands". These guys will always make highlight catches, but sometimes additional info is needed to know if hands are bad, and unless you want to spend hours trying to find full games online or try and find opposition or teammate hudl, you're at the mercy of info from others with connections, and probably have to trust that info

Also, bad hands don't always improve. Kind of like accuracy for a QB, or shooting in basketball. 

And to be clear, I haven't heard that Johnston has bad hands. I'm not sure what's going on there. 

12 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, but would you take Jackson or Card?

Man,  that would be a lot tougher choice for me.

I've seen Jackson play quite a bit,  and only saw Card in the State Championship against Allen so I'm a little biased toward Jackson.   

If the staff truly thinks Jackson can play QB,  and is not giving him a chance just to get him to sign,  I would go with him over Card.

Jackson is a really special athlete. 

Edited by Laga4

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Quite a few times I've been a big fan of a WR, only to be told "there are concerns about his hands". These guys will always make highlight catches, but sometimes additional info is needed to know if hands are bad, and unless you want to spend hours trying to find full games online or try and find opposition or teammate hudl, you're at the mercy of info from others with connections, and probably have to trust that info

Also, bad hands don't always improve. Kind of like accuracy for a QB, or shooting in basketball. 

And to be clear, I haven't heard that Johnston has bad hands. I'm not sure what's going on there. 

Yeah, we’ll see. If a bunch of other good programs pass or slow play him, then I may be inclined to give the staff the benefit of the doubt, but if we’re taking 4, especially with Bru gone, his upside seems like it’s absolutely worth a flyer. he has first round upside. 

1 minute ago, Laga4 said:

Man,  that would be a lot tougher choice for me.

I've seen Jackson play quite a bit,  and only seen Card in the State Championship against Allen so I'm a little biased toward Jackson.   

If the staff truly thinks Jackson can play QB,  and is not giving him a chance just to get him to sign,  I would go with him over Card.

Jackson is a really special athlete. 

If you think Roschon is a stud, then Jackson makes more sense as the higher upside guy who eventually replaces Roschon. If you're low on Roschon, then Card might make sense as a guy who can play earlier than Jackson. 

I don't see why it's one or the other though, we're likely landing both. 

I love Jackson as a guy who can have a short yardage package early to help our short yardage efficiency. He's special as a runner, and is a credible enough passer to where it's not a wildcat package; probably not his true freshman year because Sam will still be around, but he can redshirt and work on mechanics and the playbook. Then you can add more to his plate as he develops. He's got a big arm, and he's an alpha. Elite dual threat QBs are a cheat code and trump card in college football, and it's worth exploring here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, we’ll see. If a bunch of other good programs pass or slow play him, then I may be inclined to give the staff the benefit of the doubt, but if we’re taking 4, especially with Bru gone, his upside seems like it’s absolutely worth a flyer. he has first round upside. 

Similar to Alfred Collins, he's a really quiet kid, which makes it tougher to read his recruitment 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

If you think Roschon is a stud, then Jackson makes more sense as the higher upside guy who eventually replaces Roschon. If you're low on Roschon, then Card might make sense as a guy who can play earlier than Jackson. 

I love Jackson as a guy who can have a short yardage package early to help our short yardage efficiency. He's special as a runner, and is a credible enough passer to where it's not a wildcat package; probably not his true freshman year because Sam will still be around, but he can redshirt and work on mechanics and the playbook. Then you can add more to his plate as he develops. He's got a big arm, and he's an alpha. Elite dual threat QBs are a cheat code and trump card in college football, and it's worth exploring here. 

The best part is that both offer positional flexibility, so it's not as if the guy that gets beaten out would be a waste of a scholarship anyway.

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Agree, I think we are getting both.  

That was just answering a hypothetical from SC. 

4 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

The best part is that both offer positional flexibility, so it's not as if the guy that gets beaten out would be a waste of a scholarship anyway.

It would be nice if he enrolled early so we'd have an extra semester for us and him to figure out his long term position 

57 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding Hester and Johnston and the gurus thinking on them - if the staff really thought Johnston is the stud that the rest of us think he is, maybe they would have taken his commitment when he wanted to give it. 

But nope, Drew Meh wants to see his hands improve, apparently, while pining for a flaky dude in Houston who runs a 40 that can be timed with a sun dial. 

What kind of speed does Johnston have??

Here's to sun dial flaky dude ending up aggy -- would cause glorious jubilation banter for litville...

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Here's to sun dial flaky dude ending up aggy -- would cause glorious jubilation banter for litville...

Eh, the crowing about the "head to head win" would be annoying. Lets have him eat a spot in Baton Rouge.

Edited by texifornia

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

He doesn't run track, but he eats up a ton of ground on film. I'd guess he's got at least good speed for the position.

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He doesn't run track, but he eats up a ton of ground on film. I'd guess he's got at least good speed for the position.

He's an elite high jumper. Surprised he doesn't actually run track. 

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

It looks like he’s on some of Temple’s relay teams, but I haven’t seen any individual sprint times from him.  

I suspect he’s not as fast as Fuonji, but faster than Omeire.

Terrell Cuney is faster than Omiere. Billy Liucci chasing after The Truth is still faster than Omiere. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TexasToast said:

Via TFloss

WR JJ Hester of Tulsa, OK told OrangeBloods today that UT is his leader, and he's in contact with Coach Mehringer every week.

https://247sports.com/Player/Javian-Hester-46051306/

11 hours ago, Machinator said:

The 2020 version of Demariyon Houston has arrived.

he ended up at Nebraska btw

Hester has way better offers - Texas, OU, tOSU, Michigan, UGA, Arky

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

JFC Johnston is a stud. It’s obvious as can be. He could be in the running for a 5 star if he played the recruiting game and went to camps.

still is a top 200 guy nationally

dude has an interesting ranking history all things considered - Collin Johnson went from like mid 80s to just outside the top 200, this guy has gone from 475 down to 186

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Quentin-Johnston-at-Temple-234504/RecruitRankHistory/

BVeM7GSR.png

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

First shot at QB, then another position (likely LB or H-back) if that doesn't work. But any school not recruiting him first as a QB won't get his signature.

I wish Chris Thompson weighed about 20 more lbs.  He'd be a beast at LB.

Also, Bru leaving opens up a scholarship right?

54 minutes ago, TtomTerrific said:

he's not wrong.

1 hour ago, Hornsfan91 said:

Not sure what thread to put this on so I’ll leave it here.

I think most would interpret this as Sterns reacting to the news of the last week. What would suck is if this was followed by Sterns going into the transfer portal.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, NoName said:

dude has an interesting ranking history all things considered - Collin Johnson went from like mid 80s to just outside the top 200, this guy has gone from 475 down to 186

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Quentin-Johnston-at-Temple-234504/RecruitRankHistory/

BVeM7GSR.png

i now realize this may have been the wrong Johnson (JQJ vs Quentin)

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

That is one of the disadvantages of having a distinct team culture, not everybody fits.

I can't wait for a coach to ascend to the top of the podium to accept the CFB championship trophy and proclaim, "We gave each and every kid an opportunity and a safe space to express his feelings. We nurtured and fostered the individuality of all of our teammates and vigorously defended from outside voices. This is the secret of success, and the future of our sport."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, NoName said:

BVeM7GSR.png

Johnston is rated #62 by ESPN and #120 by 247. Rivals just gave him a generic 3 star rating. Once Rivals actually gets around to rating him, his composite will take another big jump.

Only 7 schools have won a national championship more recently than Texas. Neither Georgia or OU are one of them. Only 9 schools have played for a national championship more recently than Texas. OU is not one of them. Texas played three games last year against OU and Georgia and won 2 of 3.

Anyways, I know I’m preaching to the choir but all this to say: fuck that Zach Evans noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Anyways, I know I’m preaching to the choir but all this to say: fuck that Zach Evans noise.

I was a little surprised by his suggestion that Texas just barely beat Georgia and that it was this close game just because Georgia got some garbage time TDs. I guess he didn't actually watch the game.

1 minute ago, Radical Larry said:

Maybe. Maybe not.

Zach also thought OU had a great defense and that Texas barely beat Georgia. He's not exactly doing 4D underwater calculus in his free time. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

What does no 🧢 mean? We're no hat all cattle?

“Your university is not actually all which you believe it to be. That is not a lie. Speak with me face to face about any future disagreements.”

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Like 4

Oh boy this will be fun.  Texas needs to start posting some clips of our defense butt fucking Georgia.  Let’s remind all these idiotic recruits how we “barely” beat them.  And Georgia hasn’t won a championship in like 40 years.  That team got butt fucked by LSU and Texas.  They play a weak ass schedule.  The sec east is fucking terrible. We pounded two teams from the SEC east the last two years in Missouri and Georgia.  One was during a rebuilding year.  Lmao.  I cannot wait to play LSU.  I have no doubt in my mind this team is going to put up an ass whipping.   I haven’t been so confident in a game since that top 5 2008 Texas-Missouri matchup with chase Daniels where we butt fucked them from the first snap.  I have the same feeling for this LSU match up.

Edited by victory88