Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Looks like some highlights were posted of Bijan recently.  This dude has a nasty Juke.  Dude grew up idolizing Reggie Bush and his dream school is USC.  So happy it's a dumpster fire over there right now.  Looks like it down to Texas and Ohio State.  Let's cross our fingers Ohio State locks up Milton because this kid is a stud.  Listen to his interviews.  Dude is a complete culture fit at Texas.  Never watched his highlights until now but he's fucking good.

8 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Looks like some highlights were posted of Bijan recently.  This dude has a nasty Juke.  Dude grew up idolizing Reggie Bush and his dream school is USC.  So happy it's a dumpster fire over there right now.  Looks like it down to Texas and Ohio State.  Let's cross our fingers Ohio State locks up Milton because this kid is a stud.  Listen to his interviews.  Dude is a complete culture fit at Texas.  Never watched his highlights until now but he's fucking good.

His upcoming OV will be his 1st trip to tOSU.  Getting him in for an unofficial was big for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Milton has had four different schools think he was close to shutting it down for them over the last two months; first OU, then LSU, Georgia, and now Ohio State. And on top of that, Bama has a shot to land him. 

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Milton has had four different schools think he was close to shutting it down for them over the last two months; first OU, then LSU, Georgia, and now Ohio State. And on top of that, Bama has a shot to land him. 

That is a list of someone on the take. If true, there is no way Ohio State has a chance.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

A lot of hand wringing and sphincter puckering on the board right now. Chill dudes.

Texas wants players who also have character. All the Zach and Bru news just confirms these are guys that lack character and intelligence and aren’t a fit for a program that demands accountability and commitment. We will be better off without them and will sign players that contribute more.

Mookie is also on watch, but hopefully with him it’s just a matter of wanting to not make a premature decision. Maybe he has character and we end up seeing it, whether he picks Texas or not.

It’s pretty dumb to say a kid is stupid & a bad person just because they don’t want to play football at the school you want them to. Just worry about the guys that actually do want to play here. 

• Like 1

Roach - Summer Visit List

Spoiler

You guys have been asking for a summer visit list, so I put this together. We will keep it up for a while, but please understand it's fluid and there might be some additions and subtractions. This is a look as of right now, so things can change and we will try to update that as it happens.

June 1st

S Lathan Ransom, Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic - Unofficial 
WR Johnny Wilson, Calabasas (CA.) - Unofficial

June 14th

S Lathan Ransom, Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic - Official

June 21st

RB Bijan Robinson, Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic - Official 
WR Johnny Wilson, Calabasas (CA) - Official 
WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin - Official 
LB Kalel Mullings, Boston (MA.) Milton Academy 
CB Kitan Crawford, John Tyler - Official 
CB Jahari Rogers, Arlington - Official 
CB Kelee Ringo, Scottsdale (Az.) Saguaro - Unofficial (Maybe) 
S Bryson Washington, C.E. King - Official

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 6:31 PM, Tex Pete said:

Because that’s how the SEC and media have spun the game. Evans may be dumb. 

"Evans may be dumb.". Ya think?  You looking for a good reason not to come to Texas......well, that's not gonna be it, dumbass!

24 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Did IMG dry up and blow away?  I havent heard anything about any of their players for this cycle, or any other cycle coming up. 

Wow, your right, had to look them up and can certainly be considered down considering their 2019 cycle:

Currently 3 - 4* and 2 - 3* for 2020 compared to  2019 cycle of 3 - 5*,  5 - 4* and 15 - 3*....

It’s pretty dumb to say a kid is stupid & a bad person just because they don’t want to play football at the school you want them to. Just worry about the guys that actually do want to play here. 

Good lord, do you not detect sarcasm? This isn’t Texags.

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

What the fuck?

I'm not saying Ohio State is clean, but I don't think their alumni are organized well enough to pay the sums that Alabama and Georgia are offering to high school stars.

7 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Did IMG dry up and blow away?  I havent heard anything about any of their players for this cycle, or any other cycle coming up. 

I guess they have to operate without public money, and probably struggle on whatever cash flow is generated by tuition and donations.  

Not sure the business model is sound enough to keep paying these guys.  I don't know,   just a guess.

8 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

they had a huge year last year, right now they only have 2 guys in the Florida Top 50 - Michael Redding III (#17) and a blast from the past that is Lejond Cavazos (tOSU commit on 4/12/19, currently outside of the top composite 300 and #481 in the 247 rankings)

also have #51, #69 and #89 

Last year in Florida they had the #1 (#1 overall in the nation), #2 (#6 overall), #3 (#7 overall), #13 (#98 overall), #23, #27, #29, #46, #47, #49 

OBs. I'm guessing the source is Speigleman? Whoever it is doesn't have a great pulse for some of this info 

I had a very reliable source tell me this week that the Longhorns are the team to beat for Tucson (AZ) Salpointe running back Bijan Robinson. The Rivals100 member took an unofficial visit to UT during the weekend of the Orange-White game, and he’ll be back the weekend of June 21 for an official visit.

Where this one could get interesting is with Robinson’s visit to Ohio State on June 14. The Buckeyes, right now, are believed to be Texas’ biggest threat, and Robinson has yet to visit Columbus. Needless to say, those two visits will be key, and other schools like UCLA and USC could also factor in here as well.

Also, it’s worth repeating what I’ve said previously … if Texas misses on Evans, that might sting a bit, but in no way is Robinson a consolation prize. This guy is a tremendous talent (see for yourself here), he’s ultra-productive and he’s a high-character guy as well. If Texas can land Robinson, that's a development that should be celebrated.

It’s been a while since I checked around to get the pulse of some sources on the Longhorns’ top in-state targets, so I did that this week ...

QB Ja’Quinden Jackson – Duncanville - “In talking to people close to him, I feel like it’s Texas’ race to lose if he’s flirting with the idea of committing. I think maybe the three players would be Texas, OU and LSU. Those are the schools he’s visited. I feel like Bama is in touch with him but can’t say that with a lot of certainty. I know he’s very sensitive about the quarterback issue and LSU will not take him as a quarterback. As we try to syphon through the options, that has to be taken into an account. Texas has Hudson (Card). OU doesn’t have one so that could be worth watching. But my understanding is that Texas will take him as a quarterback, and then switch him if he doesn’t win the quarterback battle against Hudson.”

RB Zachary Evans – North Shore - “I was definitely surprised (with his top five). Earlier this year, people felt they had a read on what he was thinking. He really liked Texas. I almost think something behind the scenes has gone awry. I don’t think it’s that they can’t compete for a national championship, because he’s laid out before how they can compete for national championships. Then the fact that Damieon George likes Texas, something isn’t lining up. I would not be surprised if Texas goes full throttle to try to redeem things closer to the end. But I really do think Ohio State and Oklahoma are just names on the list. I think Georgia, LSU and Bama are all threats. I think Clemson really botched the whole thing by not offering him because they could have been at the top.”

RB EJ Smith – Dallas Jesuit – “I don’t even think Texas is really in the mix. I think they were just too late to join the party. It seems like it’s Stanford or Florida’s race to lose, with Ohio State, Georgia and A&M kicking the tires in his lead group. But with the Zach Evans thing going on, I could see Texas changing its approach since he’s not in a rush to commit. But at the moment, I like Stanford’s chances with the way they’ve used McCaffrey and Bryce Love in the past.”

RB Jase McClellan – Aledo (Oklahoma commitment) – “I would not expect him to really re-open things. I think he’s very comfortable at OU. The only outlier here is does Oklahoma get a commit from someone like Seth McGowan, or do they start getting visits from Zach Evans. Adding an all-purpose back like Chris Tyree, compared to another workhorse player, could be the thing that ruffles some feathers. They’re recruiting other guys for a reason and are in a good spot with them, but other than that happening I think he feels good about OU.”

RB Ty Jordan – West Mesquite – “I think Texas is right up there for him. I know he really likes USC and some other teams. But Texas and USC are the two that come to mind when I think about Ty. He’s a niche player, not an all-purpose back. A small back. I don’t think he’s the next option behind Zach Evans for Texas, if they take two running backs, Ty would make sense. Texas is coming pretty hard after him.”

WR Demond Demas – Tomball – “I don’t think Texas is even on his list but I do think he will take visits. He may look at a school like Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State for visits.”

WR Troy Omeire – Fort Bend Austin – “Even though he did a top four with LSU and Alabama, I don’t think either are legitimate contenders. I’m sure there’s an open line of communication with those schools, but I still think it’s an in-state battle. Honestly, I think it’s neck and neck with Texas and Texas A&M. I think he likes the offense A&M runs in terms of a pro-style and in the SEC, and they have a selling point with him and Demas. But A&M has started to explore some other wide receivers too. Texas, I think, has gained the most momentum this spring with him going to the spring game, a couple unofficial visits. Before the Bru McCoy stuff erupted, he loved that Bru was getting reps in the spring game. He liked that he could make it onto the field as a freshman.”

WR Quentin Johsnton – Temple – “I fully believe he’s going to play for Texas. Him and Omeire are similar types of receivers - big playmakers who can make plays downfield. It’s a little difficult to see them getting both but not impossible. But you can say the same thing about A&M with Demas. I do think A&M is only taking two wide receivers though, have heard that. OU is making a push but with proximity and everything else - he loves that Texas staff – I think he goes to Texas.”

WR Devon Achane – Fort Bend Marshall – “I think it’s way too early to get a feeling for Devon. He hasn’t even dipped a toe in the water in terms of recruiting. He talks to coaches, but hasn’t visited any of the campuses yet. Texas is on his honey-do list, along with a bunch of SEC schools and Florida State, Oklahoma State. Anything could really happen with Devon. He’s kind of a niche player, a jack-of-all-trades. He could be part of a new-look backfield as you look past Zach Evans, can be a moveable piece at receiver, or he can just be your special teams return man. In the Big 12, he could be the fastest player in the conference. I think he’s best suited for that, but it’s too early to gauge if Texas is really in it until he visits.”

WR Kelvontay Dixon – Carthage – “I’ve heard Texas and Arkansas are battling right now. I feel like it could be Texas because of his brother, but it might come down to spots being available in Texas’ class more than anything.”

OL Chad Lindberg – League City Clear Creek – “I think that’s natural that he wanted to use his first official visit to Texas. I think he has genuine interest in all schools in his top group – Texas, A&M, Stanford, Northwestern, Georgia. The one thing people are worrying about is why he visited Texas first, but they decided at the spring game and they were able to talk to them and get them (Lindberg and the OL commitments) all in at the same time. I think it’s almost a formality. He’s going to get into Stanford, but I think he’s going to stay close to home. I just think he feels comfortable with coach Hand and the guys they have committed there. I see him committing at the end of August. I think it’s Texas one, Georgia two, A&M three. A&M is making a big push but may be getting that fifth visit more because he was unsure who was going to get that last one.”

OL Damieon George – North Shore – “He’s tough to read. I know LSU has asked about him but he hasn’t mentioned them much at all. I think with Texas, the relationship with coach Hand looms large. They’ve done a good job with Damieon and it’s a close-to-home school. I think Bama, competing for championships is one thing, developing o-line and first-round picks, and his mom really liked it when they visited there. But if him and Zach (Evans) are resolute in playing together, then this one’s done right? It’s Alabama. But one of those has to give. Damieon’s momentum might switch away from Bama but then him and Zach might not be playing together.”

DL Vernon Broughton – Cy Ridge – “I think he’s as big of a Texas lean as there is. When it comes to relationships, he feels very comfortable with Texas. He’s kind of had a revolving door with the other schools in that lead group. At one time it was Texas, Texas A&M, OU - which I believe is his top three. Then others are spending time in the top group. I think Texas has a distant lead, but he wants to enjoy he process a little bit. He’s supposed to visit Arkansas this weekend, Ohio State in June. I just don’t see him leaving home. I think when Texas offered, they jumped to the front and I don’t think that has changed.”

DE Princely Umanmielen – Manor – “I think Texas has lost some momentum there. At the same time, I think LSU has gained some momentum with him. Princely is coming back to camp at LSU in June. He’s still mentioning A&M and OU too, I think maybe Oregon is still in his top group. I know he grew up a fan of LSU. I don’t think Texas is out of it by any means. I think those two are in a close race. I’d expect it’ll get sorted out early June, maybe the beginning part of the season. I think LSU is in it after jumping into the race. I think A&M is in it too.”

DE Alfred Collins – Bastrop Cedar Creek – “I feel like he’s going to play at Texas. Vernon, Princely, Alfred – they’re probably not all going to the same school. I just think if Texas was to bring all three in, that would be a fantastic d-line haul. But the odds are probably against that. I think they get two out of three. I lean more towards Princely going out of state at the moment, Alfred and Vernon staying in state. I lean Texas (for Collins). I know he likes Bama, but he’s never been to Bama. He’s been to Texas quite a few times. He talks about OU but hasn’t been there in a while. He’s been to Austin over and over, which speaks volumes.”

LB Prince Dorbah – Highland Park – “I still feel good about Dorbah to Texas. It’s been kind of interesting to see how his recruitment has played out. When LSU offered, they were able to get him on campus for their spring game. I’d be surprised if he didn’t make his way back there this summer. But Texas been able to go neck and neck, had him in on campus for junior days, back for spring game. I think he’s been really open and honest about everything. LSU’s push has been good lately, but Texas has been doing the same thing on a longer basis. I think if he makes a decision in July like he says he is, can’t see LSU making up that ground that quickly. I think it’s Texas.”

LB Brennon Scott – Dallas Bishop Dunne – “I think Texas is on his top there. It seems like others have cooled a bit and aren’t pushing as hard. I think he’s Texas’ to lose but I’d watch out for an Arkansas, Oregon, Florida, maybe even OU. I think he’d love to work out with Texas, but those are some other schools to watch if this thing goes on and Texas doesn’t push.”

LB Josh White – Cypress Creek (LSU commitment) – “Just the way he was with LSU, I think he feels pretty good with his commitment. He’s visited quite a few times. I think he’ll entertain Texas, but I feel like he sticks with LSU. It seems like LSU has able to get him back on campus every time there’s a question. But he’s the top linebacker in there state, so Texas is not going to just throw in the towel there.”

DB Josh Eaton – Aldine MacArthur – “I think he wants to be at Texas, but if he wants to wait, will they have room? It’s kind of the same thing with d-line - who is willing to pull the trigger first? Given a lot of DBs in the state are high on Texas, I just don’t know. I have heard he’s high on their board for tall corners, but I’m not sure on that. Kids sometimes say things like wanting to wait until February, but I could see him deciding and signing in December. At the same time, other schools he talks about, Alabama, Florida, LSU - I think Florida might be the number two school there. I don’t see him at LSU, Bama, A&M or Florida really. I only see him at Texas so I wonder if his attention on others wanes in the coming months.”

DB Chris Thompson Jr. – Duncanville – “I think Texas has established themselves as the team to beat. I think there’s a pretty big Duncanville to Texas vibe right now in talking to people at the school. Other schools are still kicking the tires. I know Auburn, he has interest in Georgia and Notre Dame, but I feel like the visitors who came to Texas the first weekend of May, I feel all those guys are going to wind up in this class. I think that’s kind of the foundation of the Texas class and Thompson wants to be a part of that. Based on his skill set, has things to work on to play in the Big 12, but he’s been a priority for Texas and he appreciates that.”

DB Bryson Washington – Houston C.E. King – “He’s definitely been keeping his distance from talking ever since announcing his top two. It feels like Texas was genuinely the team to beat for the bulk of his recruitment. Then that OU visit for their spring game, the something flipped and I think he saw a unique opportunity at OU. He’s not closing the door on Texas, wants to visit Texas before he decides. I’m not sure that video has been shot, or if it has two endings, but it was filmed close to his OU official visit. The fact that he’s going back to Texas keeps Texas in the race, but I feel like OU is leading the race right now.”

DB Xavion Alford – Pearland Shadow Creek – “I’ve always felt it’s kind of been a Texas-LSU race based on the frequency of visits to each of those campuses. I think Florida, Georgia and Michigan are other teams to watch. A&M to an extent, but not as much. Especially if we start talking about Bryson (Washington) to OU and Chris (Thompson) to Texas, I think Xavion is a nice complement to the Texas class. I know he likes LSU a lot but they’re after the kid from Lufkin (Jerrin Thompson), so they might have to pick. It might all depend on where Thompson commits in July. If it’s LSU, I don’t expect Alford to follow. I think the one sleeper team here is definitely Michigan. They’ve developed a good rapport. Obviously they’re the furthest from home, but he has good things to say about them, so think they have to be factored in.”

DB Jahari Rogers – Arlington – “Texas has definitely has emerged as the team to beat. Of course, he’s open about the relationship with coach (Jason) Washington being the best he has. They don’t have any DBs in the class, which has kind of opened his eyes. Right now I kind of view it as an Texas-Florida race. But he’s going to head to Texas for a visit in June so they’ll have their crack at it. I’d keep tabs on Notre Dame, but it feels like a Texas-Florida race and I’d lean towards it being Texas’ race to lose.”

DB Kitan Crawford – John Tyler – “Texas is part of his final group (with Baylor and Tennessee). I don’t know where he is on Texas’ board for sure but if you like fast corners, he fits the bill. I feel like it’s another that could be Texas’ race to lose, mainly just because Baylor and Tennessee don’t have the same allure Texas does. I wouldn’t be surprised if his top three changes as more offers come in but Texas looks good here.”

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Fud said:

OBs. I'm guessing the source is Speigleman? Whoever it is doesn't have a great pulse for some of this info 

Reveal hidden contents

I had a very reliable source tell me this week that the Longhorns are the team to beat for Tucson (AZ) Salpointe running back Bijan Robinson. The Rivals100 member took an unofficial visit to UT during the weekend of the Orange-White game, and he’ll be back the weekend of June 21 for an official visit.

Where this one could get interesting is with Robinson’s visit to Ohio State on June 14. The Buckeyes, right now, are believed to be Texas’ biggest threat, and Robinson has yet to visit Columbus. Needless to say, those two visits will be key, and other schools like UCLA and USC could also factor in here as well.

Also, it’s worth repeating what I’ve said previously … if Texas misses on Evans, that might sting a bit, but in no way is Robinson a consolation prize. This guy is a tremendous talent (see for yourself here), he’s ultra-productive and he’s a high-character guy as well. If Texas can land Robinson, that's a development that should be celebrated.

It’s been a while since I checked around to get the pulse of some sources on the Longhorns’ top in-state targets, so I did that this week ...

QB Ja’Quinden Jackson – Duncanville - “In talking to people close to him, I feel like it’s Texas’ race to lose if he’s flirting with the idea of committing. I think maybe the three players would be Texas, OU and LSU. Those are the schools he’s visited. I feel like Bama is in touch with him but can’t say that with a lot of certainty. I know he’s very sensitive about the quarterback issue and LSU will not take him as a quarterback. As we try to syphon through the options, that has to be taken into an account. Texas has Hudson (Card). OU doesn’t have one so that could be worth watching. But my understanding is that Texas will take him as a quarterback, and then switch him if he doesn’t win the quarterback battle against Hudson.”

RB Zachary Evans – North Shore - “I was definitely surprised (with his top five). Earlier this year, people felt they had a read on what he was thinking. He really liked Texas. I almost think something behind the scenes has gone awry. I don’t think it’s that they can’t compete for a national championship, because he’s laid out before how they can compete for national championships. Then the fact that Damieon George likes Texas, something isn’t lining up. I would not be surprised if Texas goes full throttle to try to redeem things closer to the end. But I really do think Ohio State and Oklahoma are just names on the list. I think Georgia, LSU and Bama are all threats. I think Clemson really botched the whole thing by not offering him because they could have been at the top.”

RB EJ Smith – Dallas Jesuit – “I don’t even think Texas is really in the mix. I think they were just too late to join the party. It seems like it’s Stanford or Florida’s race to lose, with Ohio State, Georgia and A&M kicking the tires in his lead group. But with the Zach Evans thing going on, I could see Texas changing its approach since he’s not in a rush to commit. But at the moment, I like Stanford’s chances with the way they’ve used McCaffrey and Bryce Love in the past.”

RB Jase McClellan – Aledo (Oklahoma commitment) – “I would not expect him to really re-open things. I think he’s very comfortable at OU. The only outlier here is does Oklahoma get a commit from someone like Seth McGowan, or do they start getting visits from Zach Evans. Adding an all-purpose back like Chris Tyree, compared to another workhorse player, could be the thing that ruffles some feathers. They’re recruiting other guys for a reason and are in a good spot with them, but other than that happening I think he feels good about OU.”

RB Ty Jordan – West Mesquite – “I think Texas is right up there for him. I know he really likes USC and some other teams. But Texas and USC are the two that come to mind when I think about Ty. He’s a niche player, not an all-purpose back. A small back. I don’t think he’s the next option behind Zach Evans for Texas, if they take two running backs, Ty would make sense. Texas is coming pretty hard after him.”

WR Demond Demas – Tomball – “I don’t think Texas is even on his list but I do think he will take visits. He may look at a school like Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State for visits.”

WR Troy Omeire – Fort Bend Austin – “Even though he did a top four with LSU and Alabama, I don’t think either are legitimate contenders. I’m sure there’s an open line of communication with those schools, but I still think it’s an in-state battle. Honestly, I think it’s neck and neck with Texas and Texas A&M. I think he likes the offense A&M runs in terms of a pro-style and in the SEC, and they have a selling point with him and Demas. But A&M has started to explore some other wide receivers too. Texas, I think, has gained the most momentum this spring with him going to the spring game, a couple unofficial visits. Before the Bru McCoy stuff erupted, he loved that Bru was getting reps in the spring game. He liked that he could make it onto the field as a freshman.”

WR Quentin Johsnton – Temple – “I fully believe he’s going to play for Texas. Him and Omeire are similar types of receivers - big playmakers who can make plays downfield. It’s a little difficult to see them getting both but not impossible. But you can say the same thing about A&M with Demas. I do think A&M is only taking two wide receivers though, have heard that. OU is making a push but with proximity and everything else - he loves that Texas staff – I think he goes to Texas.”

WR Devon Achane – Fort Bend Marshall – “I think it’s way too early to get a feeling for Devon. He hasn’t even dipped a toe in the water in terms of recruiting. He talks to coaches, but hasn’t visited any of the campuses yet. Texas is on his honey-do list, along with a bunch of SEC schools and Florida State, Oklahoma State. Anything could really happen with Devon. He’s kind of a niche player, a jack-of-all-trades. He could be part of a new-look backfield as you look past Zach Evans, can be a moveable piece at receiver, or he can just be your special teams return man. In the Big 12, he could be the fastest player in the conference. I think he’s best suited for that, but it’s too early to gauge if Texas is really in it until he visits.”

WR Kelvontay Dixon – Carthage – “I’ve heard Texas and Arkansas are battling right now. I feel like it could be Texas because of his brother, but it might come down to spots being available in Texas’ class more than anything.”

OL Chad Lindberg – League City Clear Creek – “I think that’s natural that he wanted to use his first official visit to Texas. I think he has genuine interest in all schools in his top group – Texas, A&M, Stanford, Northwestern, Georgia. The one thing people are worrying about is why he visited Texas first, but they decided at the spring game and they were able to talk to them and get them (Lindberg and the OL commitments) all in at the same time. I think it’s almost a formality. He’s going to get into Stanford, but I think he’s going to stay close to home. I just think he feels comfortable with coach Hand and the guys they have committed there. I see him committing at the end of August. I think it’s Texas one, Georgia two, A&M three. A&M is making a big push but may be getting that fifth visit more because he was unsure who was going to get that last one.”

OL Damieon George – North Shore – “He’s tough to read. I know LSU has asked about him but he hasn’t mentioned them much at all. I think with Texas, the relationship with coach Hand looms large. They’ve done a good job with Damieon and it’s a close-to-home school. I think Bama, competing for championships is one thing, developing o-line and first-round picks, and his mom really liked it when they visited there. But if him and Zach (Evans) are resolute in playing together, then this one’s done right? It’s Alabama. But one of those has to give. Damieon’s momentum might switch away from Bama but then him and Zach might not be playing together.”

DL Vernon Broughton – Cy Ridge – “I think he’s as big of a Texas lean as there is. When it comes to relationships, he feels very comfortable with Texas. He’s kind of had a revolving door with the other schools in that lead group. At one time it was Texas, Texas A&M, OU - which I believe is his top three. Then others are spending time in the top group. I think Texas has a distant lead, but he wants to enjoy he process a little bit. He’s supposed to visit Arkansas this weekend, Ohio State in June. I just don’t see him leaving home. I think when Texas offered, they jumped to the front and I don’t think that has changed.”

DE Princely Umanmielen – Manor – “I think Texas has lost some momentum there. At the same time, I think LSU has gained some momentum with him. Princely is coming back to camp at LSU in June. He’s still mentioning A&M and OU too, I think maybe Oregon is still in his top group. I know he grew up a fan of LSU. I don’t think Texas is out of it by any means. I think those two are in a close race. I’d expect it’ll get sorted out early June, maybe the beginning part of the season. I think LSU is in it after jumping into the race. I think A&M is in it too.”

DE Alfred Collins – Bastrop Cedar Creek – “I feel like he’s going to play at Texas. Vernon, Princely, Alfred – they’re probably not all going to the same school. I just think if Texas was to bring all three in, that would be a fantastic d-line haul. But the odds are probably against that. I think they get two out of three. I lean more towards Princely going out of state at the moment, Alfred and Vernon staying in state. I lean Texas (for Collins). I know he likes Bama, but he’s never been to Bama. He’s been to Texas quite a few times. He talks about OU but hasn’t been there in a while. He’s been to Austin over and over, which speaks volumes.”

LB Prince Dorbah – Highland Park – “I still feel good about Dorbah to Texas. It’s been kind of interesting to see how his recruitment has played out. When LSU offered, they were able to get him on campus for their spring game. I’d be surprised if he didn’t make his way back there this summer. But Texas been able to go neck and neck, had him in on campus for junior days, back for spring game. I think he’s been really open and honest about everything. LSU’s push has been good lately, but Texas has been doing the same thing on a longer basis. I think if he makes a decision in July like he says he is, can’t see LSU making up that ground that quickly. I think it’s Texas.”

LB Brennon Scott – Dallas Bishop Dunne – “I think Texas is on his top there. It seems like others have cooled a bit and aren’t pushing as hard. I think he’s Texas’ to lose but I’d watch out for an Arkansas, Oregon, Florida, maybe even OU. I think he’d love to work out with Texas, but those are some other schools to watch if this thing goes on and Texas doesn’t push.”

LB Josh White – Cypress Creek (LSU commitment) – “Just the way he was with LSU, I think he feels pretty good with his commitment. He’s visited quite a few times. I think he’ll entertain Texas, but I feel like he sticks with LSU. It seems like LSU has able to get him back on campus every time there’s a question. But he’s the top linebacker in there state, so Texas is not going to just throw in the towel there.”

DB Josh Eaton – Aldine MacArthur – “I think he wants to be at Texas, but if he wants to wait, will they have room? It’s kind of the same thing with d-line - who is willing to pull the trigger first? Given a lot of DBs in the state are high on Texas, I just don’t know. I have heard he’s high on their board for tall corners, but I’m not sure on that. Kids sometimes say things like wanting to wait until February, but I could see him deciding and signing in December. At the same time, other schools he talks about, Alabama, Florida, LSU - I think Florida might be the number two school there. I don’t see him at LSU, Bama, A&M or Florida really. I only see him at Texas so I wonder if his attention on others wanes in the coming months.”

DB Chris Thompson Jr. – Duncanville – “I think Texas has established themselves as the team to beat. I think there’s a pretty big Duncanville to Texas vibe right now in talking to people at the school. Other schools are still kicking the tires. I know Auburn, he has interest in Georgia and Notre Dame, but I feel like the visitors who came to Texas the first weekend of May, I feel all those guys are going to wind up in this class. I think that’s kind of the foundation of the Texas class and Thompson wants to be a part of that. Based on his skill set, has things to work on to play in the Big 12, but he’s been a priority for Texas and he appreciates that.”

DB Bryson Washington – Houston C.E. King – “He’s definitely been keeping his distance from talking ever since announcing his top two. It feels like Texas was genuinely the team to beat for the bulk of his recruitment. Then that OU visit for their spring game, the something flipped and I think he saw a unique opportunity at OU. He’s not closing the door on Texas, wants to visit Texas before he decides. I’m not sure that video has been shot, or if it has two endings, but it was filmed close to his OU official visit. The fact that he’s going back to Texas keeps Texas in the race, but I feel like OU is leading the race right now.”

DB Xavion Alford – Pearland Shadow Creek – “I’ve always felt it’s kind of been a Texas-LSU race based on the frequency of visits to each of those campuses. I think Florida, Georgia and Michigan are other teams to watch. A&M to an extent, but not as much. Especially if we start talking about Bryson (Washington) to OU and Chris (Thompson) to Texas, I think Xavion is a nice complement to the Texas class. I know he likes LSU a lot but they’re after the kid from Lufkin (Jerrin Thompson), so they might have to pick. It might all depend on where Thompson commits in July. If it’s LSU, I don’t expect Alford to follow. I think the one sleeper team here is definitely Michigan. They’ve developed a good rapport. Obviously they’re the furthest from home, but he has good things to say about them, so think they have to be factored in.”

DB Jahari Rogers – Arlington – “Texas has definitely has emerged as the team to beat. Of course, he’s open about the relationship with coach (Jason) Washington being the best he has. They don’t have any DBs in the class, which has kind of opened his eyes. Right now I kind of view it as an Texas-Florida race. But he’s going to head to Texas for a visit in June so they’ll have their crack at it. I’d keep tabs on Notre Dame, but it feels like a Texas-Florida race and I’d lean towards it being Texas’ race to lose.”

DB Kitan Crawford – John Tyler – “Texas is part of his final group (with Baylor and Tennessee). I don’t know where he is on Texas’ board for sure but if you like fast corners, he fits the bill. I feel like it’s another that could be Texas’ race to lose, mainly just because Baylor and Tennessee don’t have the same allure Texas does. I wouldn’t be surprised if his top three changes as more offers come in but Texas looks good here.”

The piece about Umanmielen and LSU goes with what TFB recently said, but they already have 2 OLB/DE types committed, plus 2 interior guys, and that's not counting the 3 DL guys from Louisiana they are going to land.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The piece about Umanmielen and LSU goes with what TFB recently said, but they already have 2 OLB/DE types committed, plus 2 interior guys, and that's not counting the 3 DL guys from Louisiana they are going to land.

There's a "how do we finish the class" thread ongoing on an LSU board right now, and Princely isn't mentioned by any of their posters 

They have a bunch of out of state kids though, and it wouldn't surprise me of some decommitted and created room

From our side, land Collins and Broughton, and I'd be fine with landing Princely or replacing him with Blidi, or even with taking both. Broughton is a top three prospect in the state and Collins is top ten, imo, while Princely is more of in the top 20 or 30 range, so less of a priority to me. 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

There's a "how do we finish the class" thread ongoing on an LSU board right now, and Princely isn't mentioned by any of their posters 

They have a bunch of out of state kids though, and it wouldn't surprise me of some decommitted and created room

From our side, land Collins and Broughton, and I'd be fine with landing Princely or replacing him with Blidi, or even with taking both. Broughton is a top three prospect in the state and Collins is top ten, imo, while Princely is more of in the top 20 or 30 range, so less of a priority to me. 

I'll alert the coaches.

14 minutes ago, lonestar3 said:

I'll alert the coaches.

Fud's just providing his informed opinion on our targets. If you want fewer useful posts, that's your prerogative I suppose, but maybe the "bleeding vaginas" thread or entire "politics- enter at your own risk" board will be more your style. 

1 minute ago, KYHorn said:

Fud's just providing his informed opinion on our targets. If you want fewer useful posts, that's your prerogative I suppose, but maybe the "bleeding vaginas" thread or entire "politics- enter at your own risk" board will be more your style. 

It was a joke at the very last part of his post. Pull your tampon out.

58 minutes ago, Fud said:

There will be heavy pressure on Umainlymainlyman to fish or cut bait this summer. He’s not must-have, apparently and the list of alternatives, starting with Blidi, is attractive. 

Maybe I’m just Danny Glover and getting too old for this shit, but the strategy of “you live near us, you need to commit dammit!” feels like a very Mack Brownian maneuver. Given that I like Blidi more, I don’t give that much of a shit, but I do think Oscar Giles isn’t worth the heat of my piss as a recruiter. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe I’m just Danny Glover and getting too old for this shit, but the strategy of “you live near us, you need to commit dammit!” feels like a very Mack Brownian maneuver. Given that I like Blidi more, I don’t give that much of a shit, but I do think Oscar Giles isn’t worth the heat of my piss as a recruiter. 

He might not be the only one who gets this treatment over the next three months

• Haha 1

IT: Fridays in the Humidor: 5/31/19

Spoiler

By: Justin and Eric

Putting this Bru McCoy puzzle together isn't the easiest thing to do. There are a few reasons for that, the main ones being with it coming out of left field it's hard to know the exact reason why he's leaving. If he's homesick he hadn't mentioned it before. If he doesn't like the coaches or atmosphere, he hadn't mentioned that either. Another factor making it difficult is the McCoy's seemingly loose affiliation with the truth that was on display in January.

There are a couple of rumors circulating that seem to be far-fetched, especially in light of competing rumors. This is getting dumber than checking on Ferris Bueller's health, especially with us at the end of the telephone game.

Neither rumor paints Bru in a particularly good light (especially if they're untrue) but it may come across better to an 18-year-old football player than admitting homesickness.

But perhaps the oddest thing from this week was Tom Herman, going against type, getting on a plane to try and coax McCoy back to Austin. With him was Sam Ehlinger who was also going against type. These were surprising actions given what we know about these two. We checked on that.

IT: Are you as surprised as I am that Herman flew out to LA to talk to Bru?
Source: That doesn't sound like him, I'm sure that's Del Conte telling him to go out there.
IT: What purpose does that serve?
Source: It serves a couple purposes, one it's a fact-finding mission. They need to get to the root of why he's leaving. It also shows that Texas cares about its student-athletes. McCoy leaving after one semester for whatever reason doesn't exactly look great.

Interesting and plausible given what we know of the personalities of Herman and CDC.

We expect McCoy's name to surface in the portal today but we might not put the entire puzzle together until long after people care about it.

When it comes to perception, it may not have been the greatest week for Texas given the Bru-ha ha ha ha! and missing the cut for Zach Evans' not-so-real top-five. That type of perception lacks substance and is fleeting. In fact, the staff will be able to turn that around in short order.

June 1

WR Johnny Wilson, Calabasas (Calabasas, CA) Unofficial: The five-star from Cali is finally making his long-anticipated trip to Austin. He'd mentioned as far back as January that he was going to visit Texas, so him following through is a nice sign. He holds offers from everybody, but Oregon, Ohio State, and Washington are the teams to watch here. This visit will serve as a formal introduction to the Texas staff, campus, and feel. This will get the formalities out of the way before his official visit a couple of weeks later.

S Lathan Ransom, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ) Unofficial: Like Wilson, the elite safety from Arizona is also visiting twice in June. The difference is he'll return on June 14th. Again, they'll look to get the formalities out of the way but there's also some hope that Ransom and his family will fall in love with Austin over the course of their visit as they stay with family friends.

June 4

DE Philip Blidi, Portales (Portales, NM) Unofficial camp visit: The 6-foot-4, 245-pound defensive lineman is the epitome of under-the-radar. Currently holding six offers, with Tulsa as the top school, if Blidi performs well in Austin, an offer is probably close. This is an interesting situation in that if he were from Texas he'd have 20 offers and wouldn't feel the need to camp. It's a bit of a bonus for the staff that they'll get to see him. If he comes across as well in person as he does through messages he could emerge as more than just insurance for Princely Umanmielen.

June 14

S Lathan Ransom, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ): Official: It's a bit odd that he and his teammate Bijan Robinson are both visiting Texas and Ohio State on opposite weekends. You'd think that was by design and maybe even a sign they wanted to get independent thoughts and compare notes. That may be the case but as of now, LSU is the team to beat. One college coach who works out-of-region told us that Ransom says privately he's all LSU. There's definitely ground to make up but it's doable.

June 21

RB Bijan Robinson, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ) Official: Here's a wise kid with no Twitter. His Instagram (much less of a cesspool) bio simply says: JUST BE A NICE PERSON. He's the owner of a positive attitude, a good work ethic, and those close to him in Tucson think Texas is the lead dog. An added bonus is he's one of the best running backs in the country. Ohio State is making a push so the Horns won't get him without a fight. This official visit could be the single most important in the 2020 class. If Texas does miss on Bijan for some reason you won't see any disparaging quotes about the school, but there's reason for optimism here.

WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin (Sugar Land, TX) Official: He's set to see LSU and A&M in the two weekends before the 21st. We still feel like the Bayou Bengals have the lead, but his mother likes Texas and the staff will make its best and likely final pitch on the official. If not, Quentin Johnston might be ready.

WR Johnny Wilson, Calabasas (Calabasas, CA) Official: UT gets him on campus again for an official on June 21st. It's an easy sell: Watch Collin Johnson, fellow Californian and long-legged boundary wide receiver. Johnson could serve a positive counter-balance to any negativity stemming from the McCoy situation. Wilson is a picture perfect fit and the staff has two visits to hammer that home.

LB Justin Flowe, Upland (Upland, CA) - MAYBE

LB Kalel Mullings, Milton Academy (Milton, MA) - MAYBE

LB Len’Neth Whitehead, Athens Academy (Athens, GA) – MAYBE

CB Kitan Crawford, John Tyler (Tyler, TX) Official: When LSU offered OU pledge, Dontae Manning, it signaled to the Sooners staff they might lose him. So they called Crawford, whose stock is rising. He'll visit Norman for an unofficial on Saturday. He might visit Baylor in two weeks as well. Remember, he told us he wanted to take a few visits. Texas gets the last at-bat and no school has come close to putting forth the effort coach Washington and coach Warehime have in this pursuit. I still think its orange house.

CB Kelee Ringo, Saguaro (Scottsdale, AZ) – MAYBE

CB Jahari Rogers, Arlington High (Arlington, TX) Official: The four-star flirted with Florida recently, but at the end of the day it looks like Texas might be the spot. He's a high priority for the staff and he knows it. The high school quarterback with 30+ offers might be one of those that jumps in this summer and closes up shop.

S Bryson Washington, C.E. King (Houston, TX) Official: Texas vs OU. Red River Shootout. Herman vs Riley. He's seen the dark side - Norman - now he's looking towards the light. I think UT can get him with a great visit, especially being around other defensive back targets that UT is in good standing with.

Unconfirmed Dates

DT Perrion Winfrey, Iowa Western C.C. (Council Bluffs, IA): One of the nation's top JUCO defensive tackles dropped a Top 8 last week that included Texas. He's scheduling a visit within the month, but also wants to see Alabama, LSU, Florida State, and Nebraska. This guy has size and talent, but it'll be interesting to see who pushes for him this summer.

LB Sav’ell Smalls, Kennedy Catholic (Burien, WA): I believe he'll trip to Austin at some point. It remains to be seen when. He's tentative for a summer visit.

Being Moved to the Fall

DE Alfred Collins, Cedar Creek (Bastrop, TX): Collins was originally going to take an official visit to Texas in June but it sounds like the staff will wisely bump this visit to the fall. Once he stated he was going to take in A&M vs Alabama in October this move needed to happen. UT is in a good spot as of today. They just have to keep it that way. If Texas can land Collins and Vernon Broughton, you'd get the two best d-linemen in the state. Hopefully half of that duo is committed before August.

Finally

Texas is still working on building a relationship with OU commit Nathan Anderson (OT, Frisco Reedy). He seems pretty receptive but they might have someone ahead of him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Ransom may be an LSU lean atm, but none of Wiltfong, Shea Dixon, or Sonny Shipp have a crystal ball pick for him to LSU.

We need to flex some fucking muscle. I'm sick of this shit.