Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

30 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah, it bombed last year, but it feels a bit more possible this cycle. I never had a good feeling about the top dogs last cycle reading you guys. This actually feels a lot more doable. But.....  AM I READING WRONG?

We're recruiting way more backup plans this time around

I don’t really see much similarity to last year.

Sanders was always a pipe dream, so we had one legit RB target in Cain, who was all over the place and going to drag it out to NSD. IMO, we have a significantly better chance of landing either Evans or Bijan than either of those two and with bijan deciding early, if we miss, we can recruit on backup options with plenty of time to lock one of them in while still going for Evans and I guess McClellan. There’s almost no way we’re left empty handed. I’m not sure what else the staff is supposed to do. If we miss on the elites, it will suck but it’s not really a failure in recruiting strategy, it’s a failure in execution. *cough* Drayton *cough*

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 3

Just now, TexasFan21 said:

I wonder how keen Evans is to this scenario. Also, haven't seen a lot of tape on Bijan, are they a different style of back or similar?

Evans claims he’s cool with it, but it’s pretty much impossible to know what he’s actually thinking.

Evans is a workhorse back that’s good in the pass game and will become a good blocker if he gives much effort at all (I think he will). Bijan has workhorse back size, but right now, he plays more like a scat back on film, in that he always looks to break it outside and tries to juke a guy instead of run him over almost every time. HIS level of competition is a little spotty, so he’s definitely a bit more of a question mark. I do think Bijan could be close to Whittington’s level as a receiver and, as long as he’s not scared of contact, he can be coached up to pound it inside and become More of an every down back once in college. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t really see much similarity to last year.

Sanders was always a pipe dream, so we had one legit RB target in Cain, who was all over the place and going to drag it out to NSD.

Cain was literally so torn that he literally didn't know what team he was going to pick when he walked up to the podium. That's a fact. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

He's a great kid.  EJ felt it was truly a privilege to be allowed to inhabit in his sphere of cognition.

Marcel Brooks is setting up a visit to Austin this weekend. Texas could still be in this if the coaching staff really wows him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Evans claims he’s cool with it, but it’s pretty much impossible to know what he’s actually thinking.

Evans is a workhorse back that’s good in the pass game and will become a good blocker if he gives much effort at all (I think he will). Bijan has workhorse back size, but right now, he plays more like a scat back on film, in that he always looks to break it outside and tries to juke a guy instead of run him over almost every time. HIS level of competition is a little spotty, so he’s definitely a bit more of a question mark. I do think Bijan could be close to Whittington’s level as a receiver and, as long as he’s not scared of contact, he can be coached up to pound it inside and become More of an every down back once in college. 

Which one will Herman leave on the sideline when it's fourth-and-two at midfield with a couple of minutes to go?

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Kalel-Mullings-46038392/

Ooooo Milton. He's a fancy boy. The Stanford and Michigan CBs certainly check out.

One of my good friends and business partners went to Milton on scholarship. She sings its praises to this day. If this dude is supposedly looking at business schools, he might legitimately be interested in what Texas can offer. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

One of my good friends and business partners went to Milton on scholarship. She sings its praises to this day. If this dude is supposedly looking at business schools, he might legitimately be interested in what Texas can offer. 

He'll likely be just as interested in what Michigan and Ross have to offer unfortunately (or more likely Stanford BA/BS into MBA)

9 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:
1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

He'll likely be just as interested in what Michigan and Ross have to offer unfortunately (or more likely Stanford BA/BS into MBA)

Crypton LLC is a fabric wholesaler headquartered just outside Detroit, a bit north of Ann Arbor.  Gotta think that will make Kalel think twice before heading to Michigan.

• Like 6