Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

4 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Would Rashaad Samples be allowed to check out his old man's squad (and maybe do some light recruiting) or would that be out of bounds?

edit: also, Jackson is a big fucking dude

I'd imagine he can show up, but can't talk to the recruits.

2 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

Would Rashaad Samples be allowed to check out his old man's squad (and maybe do some light recruiting) or would that be out of bounds?

edit: also, Jackson is a big fucking dude

Yeah, Jackson looked like a man amongst boys in the 6A playoffs last year as a junior. He’s one of the most physically gifted athletes in the country.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

He looks really natural catching the ball. So does Evans.

I’d definitely like to keep the string of great pass-catching RBs going.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, texifornia said:

giphy.gif

This reminds me of a story I heard of a school of jellyfish. Despite being in school, and the tireless efforts of their teachers, two of the jellyfish were never able to learn to read. Around the 6th grade, they came to their senses and realized school just wasn't the path for them. They would have to blaze their own trail if they wanted to survive. Luckily, the two were quite gifted musically. They decided to take their song and dance on the road. The two jellyfish became rather famous as they traveled town to town and city to city sharing their musical gifts. You might've heard of them- they called themselves the Co-itinerant Co-illiterate Coelenerates. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 4

16 hours ago, closetojumping said:

There is a whole bunch of whimpering defeatism infiltrating this thread and spreading itself in nefarious, non-South Austin’s mom kind of ways. 

The writing off of Ringo and Evans at this stage is wholly unwarranted and directly related to the simpering, mental farts being shot out from the IT guys. 

Pull yourselves together and find your fucking spines. If nothing else, end the fait accompli silliness in May. 

CTJ filling the bags as we speak 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Avanta Williams update :: 

Georgia is going to have several targets on campus this weekend, a group that Dawgs247 previewed here. Another prospect that Dawgs247 confirmed is Top 50 defensive back Avantae Williams (Deland, Fla./Deland). This will be an unofficial visit for Williams.

The 5-foot-11, 170-pound prospect, originally a Miami commitment, gave a verbal commitment to Oregon back in December. But Georgia never stopped recruiting him and got him on campus March 2.

“Georgia was good,” he said. “They want me at corner. I think I can be a lock-down corner...They got a new locker room. The locker room is nice.”

Three weeks ago, Georgia was seen by some as the Ducks' biggest competition for Williams, rated the nation's No. 45 overall prospect and No. 5 overall recruit in Florida by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

“I like the energy there," Williams said two weeks ago. "It’s a lot about the energy. I don’t want to go anywhere I don’t feel I can be me. I don’t want to go anywhere I’m uncomfortable, or I feel I can’t improve my game. I think that’s a place I can consider.”

At the time, Williams added that Georgia being in the hunt for titles gives them an added appeal.

“Georgia is one of the top schools in the nation, and I want to compete for a national championship," Williams said. "That’s huge to me. I want to compete with somebody in a national championship.”

Williams ran a 4.52 40-yard dash, a 4.25 shuttle and a 36-2 inch vertical leap at the Opening Orlando Regional.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

Blair Angulo says he's close to putting a CB in for Bijan for Texas, and would put the current percentages thusly: Texas 35%, UCLA 25%, Ohio State 25%, USC/UW/LSU 15%. He plans to OV to USC and UCLA in addition to Texas and Ohio State. LSU and Washington are competing for the final OV, and plans on announcing in September sometime.

The IT guys also say that they're hearing that Texas currently leads. 

This would be a big recruitment to win, as it sets the floor for the position as at least landing one 5*. 

Also wouldn't hurt to get a little momentum building in AZ.  Lathan Ransom and Ringo are obviously also big targets for us. 

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Avanta Williams update :: 

Reveal hidden contents

Georgia is going to have several targets on campus this weekend, a group that Dawgs247 previewed here. Another prospect that Dawgs247 confirmed is Top 50 defensive back Avantae Williams (Deland, Fla./Deland). This will be an unofficial visit for Williams.

The 5-foot-11, 170-pound prospect, originally a Miami commitment, gave a verbal commitment to Oregon back in December. But Georgia never stopped recruiting him and got him on campus March 2.

“Georgia was good,” he said. “They want me at corner. I think I can be a lock-down corner...They got a new locker room. The locker room is nice.”

Three weeks ago, Georgia was seen by some as the Ducks' biggest competition for Williams, rated the nation's No. 45 overall prospect and No. 5 overall recruit in Florida by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

“I like the energy there," Williams said two weeks ago. "It’s a lot about the energy. I don’t want to go anywhere I don’t feel I can be me. I don’t want to go anywhere I’m uncomfortable, or I feel I can’t improve my game. I think that’s a place I can consider.”

At the time, Williams added that Georgia being in the hunt for titles gives them an added appeal.

“Georgia is one of the top schools in the nation, and I want to compete for a national championship," Williams said. "That’s huge to me. I want to compete with somebody in a national championship.”

Williams ran a 4.52 40-yard dash, a 4.25 shuttle and a 36-2 inch vertical leap at the Opening Orlando Regional.

So a bidding war between Kirby and Christobal.  

IT

As we approach the beginning of summer, the slow pace of the 2020 cycle will pick up speed. The early stages of the race are the climb before the plateau of July and finally the descent filled with curves, dangerous speeds, and potential glory. Not everyone has the legs for it, but the Texas staff has proven it does.

With satellite and on-campus camps on the horizon, there will be a ton of evaluating and learning about the next two classes. For the current class, Texas will rename June, Official Visit Month. Particularly next month when they are scheduling OV weekends on the 14th-15th and 21st-23rd. Some prospects who will end up in the class will visit, particularly on the final weekend allowed before the dead period begins on June 28th.

John Tyler's Kitan Crawford had his spring scrimmage on Wednesday, and both coach Washington and coach Naivar were in attendance. When we look back at this through the recruiting archives, I feel confident that will be the moment the four-star corner knew he was going to Texas. The Horns already had a decent lead, but OU and A&M offers piqued Crawford's interest briefly. After this week, I think this one is over. He'll take his official visit to Austin on 6/21 and also might see the Aggies and Baylor at some point but I really don't think it'll matter. The early eval + great relationship with UT staff + proximity to home + DBU = Orange house.

Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ) composite five-star tailback Bijan Robinson and four-star safety Lathan Ransom have some schools of interest in common, namely Texas, Ohio State, and LSU. Robinson and Ransom will be in Austin for an official on 6/21. Connecting with Bijan this week, he's eager to return after his expectation-exceeding unofficial in April. In fact, we have heard enough in this recruitment to where Texas might be wearing the yellow jersey. Robinson has remained steadily in touch with the staff, especially coach Beck and coach Drayton. After seeing USC, Ohio State, and two others, I don't get the sense this recruitment will go the distance. Expect an early season decision for Robinson.

With Ransom, Texas made his top-five and will host him twice in the next month. His LSU trip flipped this recruitment and the Tigers hold the early advantage but with the Ransoms being in Austin six days over the next month there's a lot of opportunity to make up ground. If the staff can't take the lead in June, expect them to try once more in September when they catch a tiger by its tail.

Staying out-of-state, Texas has its eyes on Athens Academy (Athens, GA) linebacker Len'Neth Whitehead. At 6-foot-2, 225 pounds, he has the traits to play Mac and is under-recruited because his school is in a low classification that plays poor competition. Nevertheless, he's a animal with a mean streak and good movement skills. He wants to visit Austin in June and is a maybe to officially visit 6/21. Like many Georgia offers, we're not sure his offer is committable. If UT were to somehow land him the staff would have to protect itself against a late flip.

Duncanville (TX) might be one of the only schools with more D1 talent than Salpointe.

Four-star quarterback Ja'Quinden Jackson had his ups and downs during their spring game on Thursday, but remained positive afterwards. The fact Texas sent coach Beck and coach Naivar absolutely thrilled him. He is determined to play quarterback at the next level and UT will give him an honest shot. Speaking to those close to JQJ, he maintains he'll wait until after the season to make his decision. I could see most of his OVs late in the season, but more importantly Texas looks great and will get an official. OU and LSU are keeping tabs.

Four-star safety Chris Thompson looked good, and he told me that Texas is still his leader. He'll officially visit Georgia and Notre Dame within the next few weeks, and I could see a decision before summer ends. One note we learned was how close Jackson and Thompson are becoming. Not saying best friends, just saying that two college level athletes find commonality in the recruiting wars and the chance they both end at Texas isn't far-fetched.

Land those two and Texas will look even better for 2021 studs Savion Byrd (offensive tackle) and Kendrick Blackshire (LB/DL).

Duncanville was on the wrong side of one of the greatest high school games the state has ever produced last season when it lost to North Shore on a Hail Mary in the state finals. On Thursday the Mustangs received their championship rings.

There's some buzz offensive lineman Damieon George may announce a decision this summer, but I'm a bit skeptical as he still seems pretty unsure of who his favorite is at this time. The 16-year-old giant was looking slimmer than ever and said he's in the low 330's. He says he wants to take summer officials to Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Texas. Hmmm.

That's an interesting grouping because of the stated packaged deal between George and running back Zach Evans. Evans isn't going to Missouri or Oklahoma. Trying to get a handle on where he might go is a bit more difficult than where he won't be going, however.

George not mentioning LSU is the biggest surprise. When I asked Zach's brother about LSU, he made it sound like Evans wasn't too interested in the Tigers either. I found that odd as I've heard differently. I've also heard Evans knows where he wants to go, but as one source aptly put it, "you never know with Zach. He changes his mind a lot."

As we've been writing for a long time, Texas just needs to be in the peloton late to make one final attack and see what happens. If they land Robinson in September, by then they'd be playing with house money trying to land one of Evans or Jase McClellan.

TEAM - 2019 Buford (GA) running back and Texas signee Derrian Brown is making incredible progress and as wild as this sounds there's hope he could practice this fall. We know, it sounds wild but Brown's camp and team sources are cautiously optimistic that he'll return to the field after a red-shirt season.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Fud said:

Texas 35%, UCLA 25%, Ohio State 25%, USC/UW/LSU 15%

This shows a benefit of recruiting AZ. If they aren't considering ASU, any other competition is going to be a flight away, so other schools can't realistically pitch "stay close to home". 

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/05/open-post-weekend-may-17th-19th/

Jalin Conyers | Update | The Latest
– Super K

I spoke with 2020 TE, Jalin Conyers (Gruver, TX) about where things currently stand in his recruitment.

You’ll recall that Conyers visited Texas for an unofficial visit not too long ago. Conyers is an athletic tight end who saw his recruitment explode fairly recently picking up offers from Texas, OU, Ohio State, Georgia and a host of others.

A few notes from conversation with him…

***Thus far, he tells me that he has taken unofficial visits to Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, OU and Oklahoma State.

***While Conyers has offers from schools farther away and says that his parents are supportive of him going to school farther away, as Darius mentioned shortly after Conyers visit to Texas, my read after talking to him is that he is unlikely go very far away.

“For my family and my friends being able to watch, especially being from a small town and not being able to go as many places, it’s honestly in the back of my head that I kind of want to go somewhere close but at the end of the day I’m going to to a place where I believe that I fit in and a place where my mom and dad, whether it’s far or close that they will be glad to go to anytime and watch games and be apart of it”.

***In terms of distance, OU and OSU he says they’re about three or four hours. Texas Tech, he says, is about a three hour drive. And he said Texas is nine hours.

That would seem to put Texas at a pretty significant disadvantage, however, I noticed he added he was looking for a place that his parents would be, “glad to go to go to anytime”. Austin typically fits the mold of that kind of place.

***Conyers says that he plans on releasing a top five later this month. Those five schools will be his list of official visits. He said he already knows two of those schools but said he wasn’t ready to release those. Just based on the fact that he’s only visited five schools unofficially, my best guess would be those five will be his OVs but I guess it is possible he throws an out of a region school in the mix.

Either way, despite the driving distance, I’d be a bit surprised to not see the flagship in-state program.

***Conyers said that it is possible he take his official visits in the summer and make a decision before the season starts but added that it is entirely possible that he wait until the fall to complete his process and announce a decision.

***And, it would seem Texas feels Conyers’ interests is bona fide as he tells me coach Waraheim has remained in touch and recently visited him up in Gruver, TX…which, again, is a bit out of the way.

***Again, look for his top five later this month (around May 24th, he says).

Running Back | Recruiting Updates
– Super K

***Not a pleasant update but I am told that Texas will not make the cut for 2020 5-star running back, Kendall Milton.

Milton visited earlier this year.

He then toured a number of other schools in the SEC, along with Ohio State. It sounds like the list will consist of those schools.

***Texas also missed the cut for 2020 RB target, Kobe Pryor (GA) who released his top six earlier this month.

He is set to announce his decision this weekend.

***The two “big” targets that remain on the board and in play are Zach Evans and Bijan Robinson.

As I mentioned last week, I believe Evans may be closer to a decision that had previously expected.

Robinson’s mother has consistently told me that she wants Bijan to make his decision before the season begins.

I’ll work to confirm whether Robinson plans on making a return visit out to Texas this summer for an official visit.

***I’d like to see Texas have at least one running back commitment going into the season. There are a few really talented running backs in the state who though they may not be as highly rated, would give Texas a weapon and not deter bigger name backs from committing.

Update | Vernon Broughton
– Super K

Stopped by Cy Ridge yesterday to see 2020 DL, Vernon Broughton…

Here are my notes for our conversation…

***First, I think after that conversation it became more and more apparent that where Vernon ends up is going to have as much to do with how well people recruit his family, as it will with how they recruit him.

“If you love my family, I’m going to love you back”. Vernon said that his mom really had a nice time on the visit. I have yet to speak with her about their recent Texas visit but per my sources, mother was pleased with the visit.

Again, I think that is going to be a crucial factor.

***As I’ve previously noted, Broughton’s mother did coach at LSU and Vernon says he did live in Baton Rouge at one time and he did say that he has an affinity for LSU.

However, interestingly, he said he has yet to set up an official visit to LSU.

Still, of all the head coaches at the various schools, his face lit up when he talked about coach Orgeron, “The thing I like about them is coach O, he’s goofy and all”, Broughton said with a smile.

***Broughton said his next official visit is set for Ohio State. Vernon said he didn’t have the rest of his visits set up but truth be told it sounded like his mother is doing a lot of the scheduling.

***He did say that there is a possibility that he will save his official visits for schools outside the region. This is significant because, as of now, he didn’t seem certain that he was even going to set a Texas A&M official visit. If that persists and TAMU’s visit ends up being an unofficial, that certainly gives Texas an advantage.

I got the sense that TAMU has a lot of work to do in this race.

***Vernon said he will probably take an official visit to Alabama.

***In terms of a decision timeline, Vernon said, “I’m looking at making a decision towards the end of the summer. Yeah, commitment towards the end of the summer”.

***On his official visit to Texas he said, “it was amazing. The trip was amazing to be honest. Hanging out with Chad (Lindberg) and all of them and Jalen (Garth) acting crazy and having a good time and my mom and them chilling at the hotel. It was cool”.

***To be candid, I left the conversation with quite a few question marks. So in trying to piece it all together my sense is that by the time the final summer OVs are over, the schools who will have received offers will be Texas, Ohio State, LSU and Alabama. I’m not totally sure who that fifth school will be. It may still be Texas A&M.

***But I still get the sense that Texas’ biggest competition remains LSU.

***I also came away thinking that to win this battle Texas really needs to recruit both Vernon and his family. Vernon talked about some schools not communicating with him as much as he’d like. He even mentioned schools that send him a lot of edits but when it comes to having actual conversations with him, he’d like to see more of that.

***Again, it doesn’t seem this one is going to drag out too long. A late summer decision appears to be the plan.

13 hours ago, texifornia said:

I thought you told us we were DOOMED if we didn't pay like the "LSUs and Georgias of the world". Has that changed?

Well, how else is he going to drive up the price? Come on man, you understand how negotiations work.

i say this also believing we have a puncher’s chance in this recruitment. 

3 hours ago, Fud said:

Blair Angulo says he's close to putting a CB in for Bijan for Texas, and would put the current percentages thusly: Texas 35%, UCLA 25%, Ohio State 25%, USC/UW/LSU 15%. He plans to OV to USC and UCLA in addition to Texas and Ohio State. LSU and Washington are competing for the final OV, and plans on announcing in September sometime.

The IT guys also say that they're hearing that Texas currently leads. 

This would be a big recruitment to win, as it sets the floor for the position as at least landing one 5*. 

Hahahahahaha @satyanash

• Like 4