Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Good news that we get the summer OV. Hopefully tOSU or LSU get Milton, so one of those options are taken off the board for our more realistic targets.

I haven't heard Robinson linked with LSU.  Maybe I missed it?  Regardless. Tom needs to push and go for Robinson.  Can't put all our eggs in one basket like last cycle. 

• Like 1

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

I haven't heard Robinson linked with LSU.  Maybe I missed it?  Regardless. Tom needs to push and go for Robinson.  Can't put all our eggs in one basket like last cycle. 

LSU would be for Evans. Point being, I just want Milton to end up at one of our competitors for the 5 star backs we have a chance with.

It looks like we’re going all out for Robinson and I guess McLellan in addition to Evans.

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Nope, the schools I've heard are Arizona and UCLA.

Just now, Machinator said:

Nope, the schools I've heard are Arizona and UCLA.

Robinson has tOSU and USC up there too. He grew up a USC fan and loves LA, but I think Helton is working his magic, so we have a good shot at him. There’s definitely less difficult competition for Bijan than any of the other 5 star backs. USC being down is such a boon for us.

27 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Or two baskets. Or was it two eggs in one basket.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I assume that we are recruiting him at LB given that Orlando was tagged in the tweet.

I was just about to say the same.

If he projects as an ILB in college, I'm intrigued due to his background at running back. That conversion has certainly worked well for Texas over the last two decades.

Mike at Night: News and notes on targets in Houston

—I think the Longhorns have done a great job stemming the momentum Oklahoma was building for C.E. King safety Bryson Washington. There were rumors that Washington was ready to shut things down after being at Oklahoma for the spring game, but it looks more likely every day that he will make it to Austin for his OV. If he does, Texas has a great chance to turn the tide in that recruitment right before he makes his commitment.

—Zach Evans is going to play the recruiting game, and he’s very open about it. I typically don’t believe in package deals, but I do believe that Evans and North Shore offensive lineman Damieon George are tethered at this point. I think Texas has the in-state advantage, but I’ve always said that I would bet the field against Texas in this race. Fortuntately for the Longhorns, they are recruiting a few elite options including Bijan Robinson and Jase McClellan. If they could land Robinson or flip McClellan, they’ll be free to pursue Evans without the pressure of missing out on a big time back. I’m close to changing my crystal ball to foggy for Evans.

—Everything with North Shore ATH Shadrach Banks is status quo. He’s pretty quiet, but eventually he opens up if you talk to him long enough. There have been some questions about Banks’ future position, but it appears that he’s more and more committed to staying at receiver. Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Florida State are schools that seem to be standing out right now, but I think Texas is right behind them. It will be a long process for him, so there’s plenty of time.

—Texas is in a good position with Aldine MacArthur cornerback Joshua Eaton, but his timetable might not line up with theirs. Eaton is planning to release a Top 12 next week, and he wants to carry his recruitment until February. Texas is intrigued by Eaton’s athleticism, but it’s possible that they fill up at the position before he’s ready to make his move.

—Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford talks about a lot of other schools, but I think this race is still very much centered on LSU and Texas. His teammate Alec Bryant is committed to the Tigers, and Alford likes the DB tradition there. Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar is doing a great job in this recruitment, and I’m told Texas has connected with Alford’s mother. There will be a lot of smoke here, but I’d put my money on him ending up in Baton Rouge or Austin.

—There’s nothing new to report with Texas commit Jaylen Garth, but I thought I’d put a small blurb in here. Garth is up to about 285, and he’s starting to look like a monster tackle prospect. His quickness and athleticism were on full display today. He mentioned Alabama and Texas A&M as schools still looking into him, but Garth says he’s fully committed to Texas.

—I’ll have more on Troy Omeire after I see him tomorrow. I could see a decision for him at any time, and there are starting to be whispers about Omeire looking outside of just Texas and Texas A&M. I want to see him tomorrow before I reveal anymore, but what looked like a two-team race could get complicated.

—I had the opportunity to see 2021 Port Arthur Memorial defensive end Jordon Thomas today. The Longhorns do a really good job with early evals, and this one should be applauded. Thomas showed off some freakish ability, and it wouldn’t surprise me if his offer list jumped from 7 to 30 in the next few months. He will have just about every offer in the book by the time he’s a senior. Remember this kid’s name, because he is going to be a big-time recruit.

—Texas is still pushing for Cy Creek linebacker Josh White. Billy Embody from Geaux247 saw the LSU commit today, and he was told that White will likely take official visits to Texas, LSU, and Alabama. Proximity to home is a concern for White, but Texas is behind in this race despite White’s strong relationship with Todd Orlando.

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

Mike at Night: News and notes on targets in Houston

Hide contents

—I think the Longhorns have done a great job stemming the momentum Oklahoma was building for C.E. King safety Bryson Washington. There were rumors that Washington was ready to shut things down after being at Oklahoma for the spring game, but it looks more likely every day that he will make it to Austin for his OV. If he does, Texas has a great chance to turn the tide in that recruitment right before he makes his commitment.

—Zach Evans is going to play the recruiting game, and he’s very open about it. I typically don’t believe in package deals, but I do believe that Evans and North Shore offensive lineman Damieon George are tethered at this point. I think Texas has the in-state advantage, but I’ve always said that I would bet the field against Texas in this race. Fortuntately for the Longhorns, they are recruiting a few elite options including Bijan Robinson and Jase McClellan. If they could land Robinson or flip McClellan, they’ll be free to pursue Evans without the pressure of missing out on a big time back. I’m close to changing my crystal ball to foggy for Evans.

—Everything with North Shore ATH Shadrach Banks is status quo. He’s pretty quiet, but eventually he opens up if you talk to him long enough. There have been some questions about Banks’ future position, but it appears that he’s more and more committed to staying at receiver. Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Florida State are schools that seem to be standing out right now, but I think Texas is right behind them. It will be a long process for him, so there’s plenty of time.

—Texas is in a good position with Aldine MacArthur cornerback Joshua Eaton, but his timetable might not line up with theirs. Eaton is planning to release a Top 12 next week, and he wants to carry his recruitment until February. Texas is intrigued by Eaton’s athleticism, but it’s possible that they fill up at the position before he’s ready to make his move.

—Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford talks about a lot of other schools, but I think this race is still very much centered on LSU and Texas. His teammate Alec Bryant is committed to the Tigers, and Alford likes the DB tradition there. Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar is doing a great job in this recruitment, and I’m told Texas has connected with Alford’s mother. There will be a lot of smoke here, but I’d put my money on him ending up in Baton Rouge or Austin.

—There’s nothing new to report with Texas commit Jaylen Garth, but I thought I’d put a small blurb in here. Garth is up to about 285, and he’s starting to look like a monster tackle prospect. His quickness and athleticism were on full display today. He mentioned Alabama and Texas A&M as schools still looking into him, but Garth says he’s fully committed to Texas.

—I’ll have more on Troy Omeire after I see him tomorrow. I could see a decision for him at any time, and there are starting to be whispers about Omeire looking outside of just Texas and Texas A&M. I want to see him tomorrow before I reveal anymore, but what looked like a two-team race could get complicated.

—I had the opportunity to see 2021 Port Arthur Memorial defensive end Jordon Thomas today. The Longhorns do a really good job with early evals, and this one should be applauded. Thomas showed off some freakish ability, and it wouldn’t surprise me if his offer list jumped from 7 to 30 in the next few months. He will have just about every offer in the book by the time he’s a senior. Remember this kid’s name, because he is going to be a big-time recruit.

—Texas is still pushing for Cy Creek linebacker Josh White. Billy Embody from Geaux247 saw the LSU commit today, and he was told that White will likely take official visits to Texas, LSU, and Alabama. Proximity to home is a concern for White, but Texas is behind in this race despite White’s strong relationship with Todd Orlando.

Can we trade LSU Adeoye for Josh White? 

8 hours ago, satyanash said:

Not that he's nearly as good as Ringo, but this timeline makes him potentially fit as a late replacement 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Not that he's nearly as good as Ringo, but this timeline makes him potentially fit as a late replacement 

He will commit to aTm well before then. Their fanbase thinks he, hilariously, is kenyatta watson. But their staff smartly is treating him like a top 2 prospect at that position. We, for obvious reasons, are not. 

Isn't Aledo notorious for overuse of their RBs.  Just wondering what Surly folks think about the 9.95ers comments on Texas still recruiting blOU RB commit Jase McClellan??

https://247sports.com/Player/Jase-McClellan-46036686/

Still hard to believe Texas might lose Zach Evans to F'N Cajun Cookie Monster and LSU.

Guess T-Rob>>>> S-Drayton   (Damn It!!)

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Isn't Aledo notorious for overuse of their RBs.  Just wondering what Surly folks think about the 9.95ers comments on Texas still recruiting blOU RB commit Jase McClellan??

Still hard to believe Texas might lose Zach Evans to F'N Cajun Cookie Monster and LSU.

Guess T-Rob>>>> S-Drayton   (Damn It!!)

Look, I'm not going to absolve Stan Drayton of all his sins (don't hurt me golfclap), but Evans' choice is going to be based on far more than just the primary position recruiter.

35 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He will commit to aTm well before then. Their fanbase thinks he, hilariously, is kenyatta watson. But their staff smartly is treating him like a top 2 prospect at that position. We, for obvious reasons, are not. 

This story best ends with Bama snaking him late

Maybe we'll circle back around to Pouncey after Georgia lands Ringo

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Speaking of Ringo, he's making a return visit to Georgia this weekend.

And these things can change of course, but as of right now, he's planning on making UGA his last OV before he decides.

So much for him spending all of his Spring Break in Austin. Seems like Georgia made up ground in his recruitment.

20 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

So much for him spending all of his Spring Break in Austin. Seems like Georgia made up ground in his recruitment.

Well, they’re a hot team with talent and theyre going to pay him 200k to commit. We are offering Austin. Go figure. We will be top dog in the portal if that helps, though. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Look, I'm not going to absolve Stan Drayton of all his sins (don't hurt me golfclap), but Evans' choice is going to be based on far more than just the primary position recruiter.

1) So what should we hold Drayton accountable for in recruiting because Ingram isn't enough?? (Batsignal to Golfclap 😀)

2) What's the story on overused RBs at Aledo?? 

Jase has over 200 carries/yr on Aledo's varsity team since freshman year. (Includes being injured and missing 6gms middle of Soph yr)

14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

1) So what should we hold Drayton accountable for in recruiting because Ingram isn't enough?? (Batsignal to Golfclap 😀)

If we don't land at least one 5* / high 4* RB this cycle, then changes need to be made. Doesn't mean that it should be Evans or bust.

I've been on Team Bijan for a while now.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

You guys know I'm right, that's why you are more confident in Bijan. Beck is our only shot. If you're waiting for Drayton to deliver Evans, you're not paying attention. 

I mean yes, but also I feel better about competing with Arizona, UCLA, and Ohio State under Ryan Day as opposed to the big SEC schools.

Class size for 2020 Class gonna be interesting??

2020 Class size discussion by Jeff Howe.....

Of the 10 members of the 2019 signing class when enrolled early, there were three scholarships the Longhorns could roll back to the 2018 numbers. Doing allowed the program to hit the maximum number of 25 initial counters a program is allowed to add in calendar year.

With the seven spring enrollees and the 14 members of the class who will arrive this summer, Texas headed into the post-National Signing Day search to plug holes with four possible spots to fill if the staff wanted to do so.  Three of them have been filled with Juwan Mitchell and Iowa Western C.C. offensive lineman Willie Tyler giving the Longhorns two junior college players with multiple years of eligibility remaining. Based on Mitchell attending prep school and before he made his way to Butler, he and Tyler should both have four years to play three.

The third spot is being filled by Georgia Tech offensive line graduate transfer Parker Braun, who will join Mitchell and Tyler on campus next month.  Regardless of whether Braun redshirts depending on how quickly he’s able to pick up the nuances of the pro-spread offense and the blocking scheme of Herb Hand, Texas could still add one more graduate transfer or immediately-eligible junior college product if the staff so desired. The Longhorns have had contact with Clemson graduate transfer Tavien Feaster and even though nothing of substance has emerged from the feelers the staff has put out to this point, Feaster would fit the definition of pursuing the best available player to be the final piece the Longhorns can add to the 2019 roster (if Texas did add one more body, the Longhorns would still be under the 85-man scholarship limit).

While adding a scholarship to the 2019 haul would mean no early enrollees in the 2020 class can be have their number rolled back to the count, the staff has added a nice mix of players who can provide both immediate help and long-term depth. In terms of how all of this impacts the class size for 2020, only 11 scholarship seniors on the 2019 roster and few (if any) true early-entry candidates for the 2020 NFL Draft to speak of, the 2020 class is going to be a smaller haul regardless of whether or not the Longhorns are able to roll scholarships back.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-JUCO-LB-Juwan-Mitchell-commit-Tom-Herman-Todd-Orlando-DeGabriel-Floyd-132020119/#132020119_4

Edited by LTtxfan

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Of the 10 members of the 2019 signing class when enrolled early, there were three scholarships the Longhorns could roll back to the 2018 numbers. Doing allowed the program to hit the maximum number of 25 initial counters a program is allowed to add in calendar year.  With the seven spring enrollees and the 14 members of the class who will arrive this summer, Texas headed into the post-National Signing Day search to plug holes with four possible spots to fill if the staff wanted to do so.

Three of them have been filled      with Juwan Mitchell and Iowa Western C.C. offensive lineman Willie Tyler giving the Longhorns two junior college players with multiple years of eligibility remaining. Based on Mitchell attending prep school and before he made his way to Butler, he and Tyler should both have four years to play three.

The third spot is being filled by Georgia Tech offensive line graduate transfer Parker Braun, who will join Mitchell and Tyler on campus next month.  Regardless of whether Braun redshirts depending on how quickly he’s able to pick up the nuances of the pro-spread offense and the blocking scheme of Herb Hand, Texas could still add one more graduate transfer or immediately-eligible junior college product if the staff so desired. The Longhorns have had contact with Clemson graduate transfer Tavien Feaster and even though nothing of substance has emerged from the feelers the staff has put out to this point, Feaster would fit the definition of pursuing the best available player to be the final piece the Longhorns can add to the 2019 roster (if Texas did add one more body, the Longhorns would still be under the 85-man scholarship limit).

While adding a scholarship to the 2019 haul would mean no early enrollees in the 2020 class can be have their number rolled back to the count, the staff has added a nice mix of players who can provide both immediate help and long-term depth. In terms of how all of this impacts the class size for 2020, only 11 scholarship seniors on the 2019 roster and few (if any) true early-entry candidates for the 2020 NFL Draft to speak of, the 2020 class is going to be a smaller haul regardless of whether or not the Longhorns are able to roll scholarships back.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-JUCO-LB-Juwan-Mitchell-commit-Tom-Herman-Todd-Orlando-DeGabriel-Floyd-132020119/#132020119_4

Trying to see how a small class would work:

QB - 1 ( filled )

RB - 2

WR - 3 ( maybe 2?? )

HB - 1 ( filled )

OL - Talk of 5, but maybe 4 if land Lindberg?

DL - 4 ( counting Dorbah potentially here )

LB - who knows, 2?  3?

CB/S - 4 or 5?

ATH - 1 ( J. Jackson ).

Even with the lowest outcome from that, that's still at least 20.

Haven't looked at the roster, but how many Srs. will we have the following season for 2021 class?  Should have some early entries this year as well.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

With the payment of top players at $100k-$200k, like in basketball, you have to wonder where this all ends for Texas. Does the program never reach the top again because of the recruiting disadvantage, or do the remaining holdout Universities like Texas just eventually give up and join Bama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, etc. It’s making the sport less attractive for me.

• Like 1

I think:

Milton will end up being between Bama, Georgia, and LSU

Lloyd is leaning Georgia. Not sure who else has a realistic shot

McGowan is leaning OU over A&M. Unclear if that would lead to McClellan looking around even more; he's already smartly keeping his options open 

McClellan is Texas or Georgia if not OU

I'm not buying Bijan to UCLA or the in-state schools, and if OU lands McGowan, then they aren't getting both Bijan and McClellan; There's a chance it's either/or, or maybe neither. tOSU might be the top threat for Bijan, but they aren't Urban's tOSU, and don't quite strike the same recruiting fear into you (aside from maybe at QB and WR because of the offense), until proven otherwise 

Damieon George says his best relationships are with Texas and Bama. Is that a sign for who Evans likes? This feels like a four team race; Texas, Bama, Georgia, LSU, and gun to my head, I'd go with Bama, after I would have previously said Texas for the next half year 

45 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Of the 10 members of the 2019 signing class when enrolled early, there were three scholarships the Longhorns could roll back to the 2018 numbers. Doing allowed the program to hit the maximum number of 25 initial counters a program is allowed to add in calendar year.

With the seven spring enrollees and the 14 members of the class who will arrive this summer, Texas headed into the post-National Signing Day search to plug holes with four possible spots to fill if the staff wanted to do so.  Three of them have been filled with Juwan Mitchell and Iowa Western C.C. offensive lineman Willie Tyler giving the Longhorns two junior college players with multiple years of eligibility remaining. Based on Mitchell attending prep school and before he made his way to Butler, he and Tyler should both have four years to play three.

My O/U for 2020 is 23.5

Just now, RoyalBevo21 said:

So if we land Bijan or somehow flip McLellan does that essentially mean Evans is out of the picture?

Nope. It would soften the blow for if/when we whiff on Evans though. 

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

With the payment of top players at $100k-$200k, like in basketball, you have to wonder where this all ends for Texas. Does the program never reach the top again because of the recruiting disadvantage, or do the remaining holdout Universities like Texas just eventually give up and join Bama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, etc. It’s making the sport less attractive for me.

Since our 2005 title here is every title winner.

2018 Clemson CFP
2017 Alabama CFP
2016 Clemson CFP
2015 Alabama CFP
2014 Ohio State CFP
2013 Florida State BCS
2012 Alabama BCS
2011 Alabama BCS
2010 Auburn BCS
2009 Alabama BCS
2008 Florida BCS
2007 Louisiana State BCS
2006 Florida

I think it is safe to say buying players is the only way you are going to win a title nowadays.

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Not a Sock said:

Since our 2005 title here is every title winner.

2018 Clemson CFP
2017 Alabama CFP
2016 Clemson CFP
2015 Alabama CFP
2014 Ohio State CFP
2013 Florida State BCS
2012 Alabama BCS
2011 Alabama BCS
2010 Auburn BCS
2009 Alabama BCS
2008 Florida BCS
2007 Louisiana State BCS
2006 Florida

I think is safe to say buying players is the only way you are going to win a title nowadays.

God, seeing Bama win more titles in 8 years than we have in our existence is hurting my soul

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Who do you think aggy ends up with at RB?

Maybe they buy someone I've never heard of from Florida, New Jersey, or DMV, or maybe they take Edwards out of Louisiana, Tahj Brooks, or the Lancaster kid. Or maybe they surprise and land McGowan. No idea. This running back musical chairs carousel, man. Lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's, lotta strands.