Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

8 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

Holy shit8d47cbe2da6385039cbc5a0c9ac47e3e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We've already had this discussion.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:59 AM, Katfid54 said:

To be fair, too, the family in the Incredibles is the Parr family, which probably plays a part in it. 

Nahlin on recruiting timelines:

There will be fireworks in July.

This statement of fact goes beyond literal 4th of July celebrations and bends towards metaphorical as the Texas staff’s hard work on the trail intersects with decision timelines.

I know it's early May and waiting until July is like waiting for vacation days between New Years and Memorial Day on the work calendar. Patience isn't exactly the hallmark of the recruitnik, but what little you have should be rewarded as some high profile recruitments wind down.

With only five commitments as of now, I feel the Texas class could be as high as 12 by the end of July and 15 by the end of August. 

Let's take a look at how that could come about.

Texas just hosted three highly regarded prospects that will feature prominently in these thoughts -- Vernon Broughton, Chad Lindberg, and Chris Thompson. On the weekend of June 21st, the staff will host at least three more -- Bryson Washington, Kitan Crawford, and Jahari Rogers (I think Alfred Collins may make it then too if not the week before).

Those June visits, along with the recent ones, set up quite well for the month I think will bear the most fruit of the cycle.

DB Bryson Washington, C.E. King: If Thompson isn't the best safety in the class Washington is. Landing both would work perfectly for Texas because they profile to different roles with Thompson in the boundary or at Joker and Washington to the field. I remain cautiously optimistic on Washington. The further he gets from his Oklahoma official visit the closer I feel he gets to his Texas commitment. The timing of his official visit literally couldn't be any better. The visit on the 21st falls just before the dead period within which Washington plans to announce (July 4th).

DL Vernon Broughton, Cy Ridge: [under construction pending mother approval]

Just kidding. You know I feel good here and after reading his mother's comments you probably do too. Change a few words around and those replies sound like commitment quotes. The family will make some big visits to LSU, Ohio State, and Alabama, but I like Texas to be the pick in July. If the staff can get Broughton to announce at The Opening along with Washington on the 4th it'll have some momentum brewing.

OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek: Like Broughton, Lindberg will also visit an LSU program
that is building quite the class. He doesn't profile there at all but likes the o-line coach quite a bit. Georgia is probably the biggest threat to Texas but I just can't see the Bulldogs winning out. Lindberg doesn't have a set date this summer but July seems about right. A late June or August announcement wouldn't really surprise me either.

WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin: This has seesawed back and forth between UT and A&M but the staff has applied some weight to recruiting his mother which I think has tipped the scales in its favor. July has served as a "safety announcement" time for Omeire. It's a timeframe he often falls back to but you can't rule out one earlier. He wants to take some officials so yet again June will serve as an active month while July functions as the dust settling. I don't see him going far from home so this will remain between UT and A&M.

CB Jahari Rogers, Arlingon and CB Kitan Crawford, John Tyler: These guys are in similar boats as priority corners who are starting to see their star rise. Rogers recently picked up a Georgia offer (to visit) as well as UT-lite, while Crawford has picked up A&M and OU. Barring some unforeseen circumstances Texas will be able to stave off these pursuits and could land each in late June or July if not sooner.

DL Princely Umanmielen, Manor: This has been seen as a UT/A&M/OU battle but it's worth noting that TFB mentioned they heard LSU was UT's biggest threat. Why is that worth noting? Because if that’s true it means he's no longer concerned about four-man versus three-man fronts. It would then mean UT is the likely destination, but I've felt that for a while and even more so after his spring game visit. He doesn't have an exact time-frame beyond summer but I could see him getting caught up in momentum, assuming things fall into place along the lines I’m thinking.

WILDCARDS/POSSIBLE AUGUST ANNOUNCEMENTS

DB Chris Thompson, Duncanville: I feel pretty strongly that Thompson will announce before the season. July is possible but it may go to August. He'll visit Notre Dame in June and will set up more officials between now and then. Texas did a great job on his recent official visit and he's a priority.

LB Prince Dorbah, Highland Park: This appears to be a Texas/LSU fight as Ed Orgeron looks to extend momentum in the class within the Texas borders. I can't see Dorbah ending up anywhere but Texas -- it just makes too much sense across the board -- but LSU has an attractive scheme for him.

DB Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek: He released a top-10 but as it currently sits this looks to be yet another UT/LSU battle. This recruitment could become a bit more unpredictable depending on how hard Georgia and Alabama push, but right now I think Alford wavers between the Horns and Tigers. He's stated he'd like to announce late but intel leads us to believe a summer decision is possible. He’ll land at the school that presses him the hardest over the next month or two.

Of course in recruiting there are always surprises but right now UT is in great shape with the guys listed above. Momentum is a hell of a thing in recruiting and some guys are more susceptible to being caught up in it than others. That’ll be the time to strike.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

This statement of fact goes beyond literal 4th of July celebrations and bends towards metaphorical as the Texas staff’s hard work on the trail intersects with decision timelines.

I know it's early May and waiting until July is like waiting for vacation days between New Years and Memorial Day on the work calendar. Patience isn't exactly the hallmark of the recruitnik, but what little you have should be rewarded as some high profile recruitments wind down.

With only five commitments as of now, I feel the Texas class could be as high as 12 by the end of July and 15 by the end of August. 

Texas just hosted three highly regarded prospects that will feature prominently in these thoughts -- Vernon Broughton, Chad Lindberg, and Chris Thompson. On the weekend of June 21st, the staff will host at least three more -- Bryson Washington, Kitan Crawford, and Jahari Rogers (I think Alfred Collins may make it then too if not the week before).

Those June visits, along with the recent ones, set up quite well for the month I think will bear the most fruit of the cycle.

DB Bryson Washington, C.E. King: If Thompson isn't the best safety in the class Washington is. Landing both would work perfectly for Texas because they profile to different roles with Thompson in the boundary or at Joker and Washington to the field. I remain cautiously optimistic on Washington. The further he gets from his Oklahoma official visit the closer I feel he gets to his Texas commitment. The timing of his official visit literally couldn't be any better. The visit on the 21st falls just before the dead period within which Washington plans to announce (July 4th).

Just kidding. You know I feel good here and after reading his mother's comments you probably do too. Change a few words around and those replies sound like commitment quotes. The family will make some big visits to LSU, Ohio State, and Alabama, but I like Texas to be the pick in July. If the staff can get Broughton to announce at The Opening along with Washington on the 4th it'll have some momentum brewing.

OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek: Like Broughton, Lindberg will also visit an LSU program
that is building quite the class. He doesn't profile there at all but likes the o-line coach quite a bit. Georgia is probably the biggest threat to Texas but I just can't see the Bulldogs winning out. Lindberg doesn't have a set date this summer but July seems about right. A late June or August announcement wouldn't really surprise me either.

WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin: This has seesawed back and forth between UT and A&M but the staff has applied some weight to recruiting his mother which I think has tipped the scales in its favor. July has served as a "safety announcement" time for Omeire. It's a timeframe he often falls back to but you can't rule out one earlier. He wants to take some officials so yet again June will serve as an active month while July functions as the dust settling. I don't see him going far from home so this will remain between UT and A&M.

CB Jahari Rogers, Arlingon and CB Kitan Crawford, John Tyler: These guys are in similar boats as priority corners who are starting to see their star rise. Rogers recently picked up a Georgia offer (to visit) as well as UT-lite, while Crawford has picked up A&M and OU. Barring some unforeseen circumstances Texas will be able to stave off these pursuits and could land each in late June or July if not sooner.

DL Princely Umanmielen, Manor: This has been seen as a UT/A&M/OU battle but it's worth noting that TFB mentioned they heard LSU was UT's biggest threat. Why is that worth noting? Because if that’s true it means he's no longer concerned about four-man versus three-man fronts. It would then mean UT is the likely destination, but I've felt that for a while and even more so after his spring game visit. He doesn't have an exact time-frame beyond summer but I could see him getting caught up in momentum, assuming things fall into place along the lines I’m thinking.

DB Chris Thompson, Duncanville: I feel pretty strongly that Thompson will announce before the season. July is possible but it may go to August. He'll visit Notre Dame in June and will set up more officials between now and then. Texas did a great job on his recent official visit and he's a priority.

LB Prince Dorbah, Highland Park: This appears to be a Texas/LSU fight as Ed Orgeron looks to extend momentum in the class within the Texas borders. I can't see Dorbah ending up anywhere but Texas -- it just makes too much sense across the board -- but LSU has an attractive scheme for him.

DB Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek: He released a top-10 but as it currently sits this looks to be yet another UT/LSU battle. This recruitment could become a bit more unpredictable depending on how hard Georgia and Alabama push, but right now I think Alford wavers between the Horns and Tigers. He's stated he'd like to announce late but intel leads us to believe a summer decision is possible. He’ll land at the school that presses him the hardest over the next month or two.

Of course in recruiting there are always surprises but right now UT is in great shape with the guys listed above. Momentum is a hell of a thing in recruiting and some guys are more susceptible to being caught up in it than others. That’ll be the time to strike.

What is Collins’ timeline?

With all these storms it is good to get some sunshine pumped into my life

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Nahlin isn't kidding. This young man looks like he might be a take at kicker or maybe even punter. There's an onside kick in his highlight reel that looked ten times better than anything we tried last season.

Oh, and his highlights at WR are pretty solid looking as well. He's clearly very, very fast. It'll be really interesting to see how develops next year. Seems like a possible Tyler Owens situation - which would make it worth taking him just to watch aggy's collective head explode again.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2AvmBg

Edited by campcrunk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Putting a kicker on scholarship that also plays WR would be Peak Mensa. 

I mean, the potential trick plays alone should get him another star, right? I'm sure he'll get his fifth (sixth?) when our BOMC minions are finished altering the rankings solely to make aggy look bad - because they don't do plenty of that all on their own anyway...

11 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

Nahlin isn't kidding. This young man looks like he might be a take at kicker or maybe even punter. There's an onside kick in his highlight reel that looked ten times better than anything we tried last season.

Oh, and his highlights at WR are pretty solid looking as well. He's clearly very, very fast. It'll be really interesting to see how develops next year. Seems like a possible Tyler Owens situation - which would make it worth taking him just to watch aggy's collective head explode again.

aggy actually offered him before us, so they'd just (correctly) say they ID'd him early.

Edited by texifornia

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

Tosh Baker commits to Notre Dame.

I’ve never seen more discussion about a guy that was never a serious candidate for the program than this thread regarding this guy. It’s caused enough self-doubt where I’ve gone and said “Am I insane? Is Texas actually making some sort of real push for this guy?”. “Uh, no. “ Fuck. The ol’Surly wet willie strikes again. 

12 minutes ago, wutang75 said:

Overstreet, Lovie Smith, holla. Beat my high school like 96-0 or some shit the year they didn’t get scored on.

didn’t get scored on?  like all year?  I thought daingerfield ‘83 set that record by giving up 8 points all season. 

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

The amount of WRs the state the state is producing is absurd

It's a position we as fans should never really worry about. In this state you can land great WRs damn near by accident.

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve never seen more discussion about a guy that was never a serious candidate for the program than this thread regarding this guy. It’s caused enough self-doubt where I’ve gone and said “Am I insane? Is Texas actually making some sort of real push for this guy?”. “Uh, no. “ Fuck. The ol’Surly wet willie strikes again. 

I didn't understand this either, 98% of the times I heard this kids name came exclusively form this board.

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

giphy.gif

Surly settings....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

I didn't understand this either, 98% of the times I heard this kids name came exclusively form this board.

He's a Texas legacy, is one of the top players in Arizona where Texas has been recruiting heavily, he had offers from most of the big schools and decided between Notre Dame and Ohio State, and he has a Texas offer

Maybe the staff never pursued heavily, but see why people talked about him 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, campcrunk said:

I didn't think the junior hudl was very impression, although he's clearly really athletic, but apparently he hasn't been playing football for long, he starts on the soccer and basketball teams, and now he's putting out blazing track times for being 6'4. 

Interesting prospect

Land he, Johnston, and Achane, and we're putting some explosiveness on the field

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

Kind of surprised Lovie hasn't had more kids from ETX come up there. 

I'm not, his team fucking sucks. The good players he's getting, are local ones he's buying 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Not sure if he is good at football but I like his comedy.  He’s a funny guy.  

12 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Per TFLoss, Rivals is saying Lathan Ransom will be visiting from May 31st to June 3rd and staying with the family friend they have in the Austin area.  Also said he'll visit for the LSU game.

Additional notes from the original post- he's unlikely to OV, but his visit will be for four days 

Chip Brown: UT satellite camp in Louisiana shot down... again

For the third straight year, Tom Herman attempted to have a summer satellite football camp in Louisiana near Baton Rouge but has been unable to find a facility willing to cooperate with the Longhorns, sources told Horns247. “We’ve tried to have a camp near Baton Rouge every year that Ed Orgeron has been at LSU,” one team source said. “We had been told yes a few times, only to have university officials over there or Louisiana lawmakers shut it down before it got off the ground. It’s really a shame for all the kids in Louisiana who aren’t considered ‘LSU good.’ It robs them of exposure to any level of out-of-state school.”

Texas has tried to hold camps at Louisiana College, Southeastern Louisiana, St. Thomas Aquinas and Madison Prep High schools. All of Texas’ camp plans with those schools were eventually canceled. Hal Mumme, the former coach at Division III Belhaven University who planned to partner with Texas for a camp at St. Thomas Aquinas in Baton Rouge in 2017, accused LSU and coach Ed Orgeron with organizing an effort to pressure all local facilities not to host a camp involving the Longhorns.

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ed Orgeron is an outstanding representative of LSU. LSU is an outstanding representative for the state of Louisiana. That place is a 3rd world country where corruption is lionized and having an IQ above 80 makes you a difference maker in society. So of course they'd stonewall something that actually serves to advantage the state on the whole. 

Nevermind the fact that, this year of all year, LSU is going heavy out of state in recruiting and even their recruiting reporters and fanbase are elated at this development. But yes, lets fuck the kids in that state who, even less this year than any other, are going to get a scholarship to play football at LSU. It's fucking despicable. 

• Like 1