Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I would put pressure on Lindberg. Bring in Anderson, Braun, Baker - first to commit. Every one of our targets seem content on taking their time. Meanwhile, a bunch of guys who say that they are taking their time visit Georgia and Alabama and commit immediately. It is not a money thing. They are told they are filling up and that if they want to be a part of the class they need to make a decision.

Ugh yeah... let’s definitely not do this.  He’s stated for a while now that he will take all 5 visits and will commit before the season.  We’re also the most likely pick.  Matter of fact, seems like if we pressured him to commit, it will probably back fire against us.   His mom loves Texas, he’s boys with majors, card, and parr.  Need to let this play out.  

10 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If we don't offer Amderson, Tosh Baker never visits, and the staff doesn't really go after George, do we only take 4 OL assuming we land Lindberg and try for 6 in 2021?

Texas is definitely going after George 

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

Holds a UT offer. @Doc Sam Beckett is that Clemson offer still legit or is it just an old Crystal ball pick?

https://247sports.com/Player/Kobe-Pryor-46050865/

Yeah it's a legit offer, and I expect him to commit to Clemson on the 18th. There are other backs that I like better, but oh well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bevo said:

I would put pressure on Lindberg. Bring in Anderson, Braun, Baker - first to commit. Every one of our targets seem content on taking their time. Meanwhile, a bunch of guys who say that they are taking their time visit Georgia and Alabama and commit immediately. It is not a money thing. They are told they are filling up and that if they want to be a part of the class they need to make a decision.

9 hours ago, Bevo said:

Maybe I didn't come across great but my point was that I don't think that Lindberg is worth waiting on. Same with Omerie but our options seem somewhat limited this year at WR. They aren't limited at OL.

Image result for stop posting cat

• Like 4

10 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I like the look of Anderson's film more than Lindberg's, unless Anderson was actually playing at 240 last year instead of the listed 270.

Anderson's athleticism and aggressiveness is great, but he's still got a lot to work on technically. He reminds me some of Connor Williams. Imo, Lindberg will be ready to play earlier, and could potentially be an elite guard if we already have good tackles, kind of like Tyler Johnson. 

22 minutes ago, Fud said:

Anderson's athleticism and aggressiveness is great, but he's still got a lot to work on technically. He reminds me some of Connor Williams. Imo, Lindberg will be ready to play earlier, and could potentially be an elite guard if we already have good tackles, kind of like Tyler Johnson. 

Lindberg is already pretty damned huge, which worries me, and he’s gotten his asswhipped a bunch at camps. I’ll be happy if Texas lands him, but I won’t start cutting myself if he goes elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Lindberg is already pretty damned huge, which worries me, and he’s gotten his asswhipped a bunch at camps. I’ll be happy if Texas lands him, but I won’t start cutting myself if he goes elsewhere. 

Didn't Lindberg not participate at most camps due to a shoulder injury? Did you see highlights of him getting beat, or is that something you heard from people there? 

I think he'll end up being a monster offensive guard for us

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Didn't Lindberg not participate at most camps due to a shoulder injury? Did you see highlights of him getting beat, or is that something you heard from people there? 

I like Lindberg but mostly as a Guard. I’m skeptical he’ll work out at Tackle. Problem is we already have two other interior linemen, and if the staff gets their way, we’ll add another interior lineman in George. It’s good we took 3 tackles last year, but I’d still rather have more than one tackle prospect in this class. I get all the moving parts, but it would still be better for the staff’s ideal OL class to include one less interior lineman and include someone like Baker or Anderson. 

36 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Concerts? You never lived till you attended the Doobie Brothers in the early 70's. Just wish I could have seen the stage through all the smoky haze :).

They played the Christmas carols assembly at my elementary school every year. Mildly different vibe.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I like Lindberg but mostly as a Guard. I’m skeptical he’ll work out at Tackle. Problem is we already have two other interior linemen, and if the staff gets their way, we’ll add another interior lineman in George. It’s good we took 3 tackles last year, but I’d still rather have more than one tackle prospect in this class. I get all the moving parts, but it would still be better for the staff’s ideal OL class to include one less interior lineman and include someone like Baker or Anderson. 

It helps that we might be taking like four stud tackles in 2021, several of whom could play early. It would be nice if the Brockermeyers would transfer somewhere so they could graduate early. 

Having to basically recruit George exclusively for the 5th OL spot to help maximize our odds with Evans really ties our hands, but it is what it is. Worst case scenario, if guys like Shepherd, Hookfin, and Garth aren't ready, maybe we'll just have to play someone like Lindberg at right tackle, and we'll have a guy who's a better drive blocker than pass protector, and we'll just run behind him a lot. 

36 minutes ago, Fud said:

I was referencing his work at the UA event in the winter, and no, not highlights. 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

It helps that we might be taking like four stud tackles in 2021, several of whom could play early. It would be nice if the Brockermeyers would transfer somewhere so they could graduate early. 

Having to basically recruit George exclusively for the 5th OL spot to help maximize our odds with Evans really ties our hands, but it is what it is. Worst case scenario, if guys like Shepherd, Hookfin, and Garth aren't ready, maybe we'll just have to play someone like Lindberg at right tackle, and we'll have a guy who's a better drive blocker than pass protector, and we'll just run behind him a lot. 

Yeah. our 2019 and 2021 classes will hopefully mitigate the lack of tackles. If were viewing leaving a spot open for George as a necessity, it makes things a little difficult. I’d probably prefer we take Garth, Lindberg, and 1/2 of Majors, Parr, and then add an OT prospect but it won’t be the end of the world. 

It’ll suck if we don’t push for Baker/Anderson  and then don’t get George, but the staff seems like they’re fine with that gamble for the chance at Evans.

The Stampede: Insider notes from Texas' official visit weekend

— The OV weekend had a rough start with the weather in Austin. Zach Evans and Damieon George were supposed to be in on an unofficial visit, as the duo had planned to attend JMBLYA, and then stop by campus while they were in town. With the concert cancelled they decided not to come. I was told that Evans has been to campus enough times that they didn’t need to make another trip. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the duo back on campus during the summer.

— St. Louis Trinity Catholic running back Mookie Cooper also did not make it in this weekend. Cooper’s flights were affected by the weather, though he was ready to make the trip. When his travel was disrupted, Cooper opted to reschedule the trip for another time. I’m told that Cooper still wants to get back to Texas, and he’s keeping the lines of communication open with the coaching staff.

— Each official visitor who was scheduled did make the trip. Despite the weather, the staff made the best of things and it was thought to be a successful weekend. Derek Chang and his staff always do a great job of customizing visits to the recruit and family, and this weekend was no exception. When the recruits went to hang out with members of the team, the staff held a social event with the parents. This allowed the coaches to get to know the families on a more personal level, and it allowed the parents to become acquainted with one another.

— Duncanville safety Chris Thompson is usually pretty low-key when it comes to feedback, but I was told Texas did a lot on this visit. Thompson was hosted by junior defensive back Josh Thompson, and the two share a trainer in Christian White, AKA Coach Flight. Chris Thompson took the opportunity to connect with the coaching staff and current players on the team, and I’m told that Michael Huff played a big role in the visit weekend as well. Thompson was able to pick Huff’s brain, and he had a lot of fun spending time with players like Josh Thompson, Sam Ehlinger and Brandon Jones.

— Thompson wants to take all of his officials during the summer, and he would like to make his college decision before his senior season starts. Notre Dame and Auburn are shoe-ins for visits, and Georgia, Stanford and Ohio State are currently under consideration. Coming into the visit, I was told that the family is ok with Thompson leaving the state for college, but I think Texas created a huge gulf in this recruitment. Auburn seems to be the only other school Thompson is talking up, but I feel good with my pick on Texas right now.

— Chad Lindberg and his family had a great time in Austin, as well. Lindberg makes no secret about how much he enjoys his visits to Texas, and getting to spend the weekend with close friends Jake Majors and Logan Parr made it even better. Texas is doing a great job in this recruitment, and has clearly won over Lindberg’s mother, Emily. Lindberg's brother is a current student at Texas, and the Longhorns are the only in-school state with a serious chance for the four-star offensive lineman. I expect Lindberg to try and get some visits out of the way before making a commitment in the summer. He told me that he has no certain date set, but he would like to do it before his senior season. Texas needs to keep hammering away, but the Longhorns have a great feel for this recruitment, and I expect Lindberg to side with Texas in the end.

— Four-star defensive lineman Vernon Broughton arrived in style. Broughton came with a few different members of his family, and I’m told the Texas staff did a fantastic job of including the entire family in the visit. I’m also told that the decision to have the committed offensive line prospects on campus for this visit was huge for Broughton. While Majors and Parr are close with Lindberg, I’m told that they have also become close with Broughton. One source I spoke with came away from the weekend feeling that Texas grabbed a clear lead in this recruitment, but the Longhorns know the work is not done. Broughton will likely visit Texas A&M for an official before making his decision. The big factor for Texas in this one is Oscar Giles. I’m told that the family is really connecting with the Texas defensive line coach in addition to Broughton’s secondary recruiter Craig Naivar. Broughton plans to make his decision in the summer as well, so Texas must continue to push in order to win him over. As of now, I feel good about the Longhorns' chances.

— I’m told that the buy-in from committed offensive linemen Jake Majors, Logan Parr and Jaylen Garth made it easy to host them early on. All three commits are involved in recruiting other players, and their commitments are rock-solid enough to not worry about burning an early official visit. Texas has a relatively small class of five, but I’m told that the staff loves the core group they have built. Though it’s been almost two months since Bishop Dunne ATH Jaden Hullaby made his commitment, there is no panic within the staff. They have a good feel for the remaining targets on their board, and have traditionally found more success once the summer begins.

—Texas found success in the 2018 class by a group of commit's moms led by Natalia Vaughns, mother of Byron Vaughns. As a result, the families have become close outside of the recruitment, which has strengthened the bonds within the recruiting class itself. 2020 might have a similar group of moms, and many of them were in Austin this weekend. This is something to file away, but remember that moms can be the best recruiters out there.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

— The OV weekend had a rough start with the weather in Austin. Zach Evans and Damieon George were supposed to be in on an unofficial visit, as the duo had planned to attend JMBLYA, and then stop by campus while they were in town. With the concert cancelled they decided not to come. I was told that Evans has been to campus enough times that they didn’t need to make another trip. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the duo back on campus during the summer.

— St. Louis Trinity Catholic running back Mookie Cooper also did not make it in this weekend. Cooper’s flights were affected by the weather, though he was ready to make the trip. When his travel was disrupted, Cooper opted to reschedule the trip for another time. I’m told that Cooper still wants to get back to Texas, and he’s keeping the lines of communication open with the coaching staff.

— Each official visitor who was scheduled did make the trip. Despite the weather, the staff made the best of things and it was thought to be a successful weekend. Derek Chang and his staff always do a great job of customizing visits to the recruit and family, and this weekend was no exception. When the recruits went to hang out with members of the team, the staff held a social event with the parents. This allowed the coaches to get to know the families on a more personal level, and it allowed the parents to become acquainted with one another.

— Duncanville safety Chris Thompson is usually pretty low-key when it comes to feedback, but I was told Texas did a lot on this visit. Thompson was hosted by junior defensive back Josh Thompson, and the two share a trainer in Christian White, AKA Coach Flight. Chris Thompson took the opportunity to connect with the coaching staff and current players on the team, and I’m told that Michael Huff played a big role in the visit weekend as well. Thompson was able to pick Huff’s brain, and he had a lot of fun spending time with players like Josh Thompson, Sam Ehlinger and Brandon Jones.

— Thompson wants to take all of his officials during the summer, and he would like to make his college decision before his senior season starts. Notre Dame and Auburn are shoe-ins for visits, and Georgia, Stanford and Ohio State are currently under consideration. Coming into the visit, I was told that the family is ok with Thompson leaving the state for college, but I think Texas created a huge gulf in this recruitment. Auburn seems to be the only other school Thompson is talking up, but I feel good with my pick on Texas right now.

— Chad Lindberg and his family had a great time in Austin, as well. Lindberg makes no secret about how much he enjoys his visits to Texas, and getting to spend the weekend with close friends Jake Majors and Logan Parr made it even better. Texas is doing a great job in this recruitment, and has clearly won over Lindberg’s mother, Emily. Lindberg's brother is a current student at Texas, and the Longhorns are the only in-school state with a serious chance for the four-star offensive lineman. I expect Lindberg to try and get some visits out of the way before making a commitment in the summer. He told me that he has no certain date set, but he would like to do it before his senior season. Texas needs to keep hammering away, but the Longhorns have a great feel for this recruitment, and I expect Lindberg to side with Texas in the end.

— Four-star defensive lineman Vernon Broughton arrived in style. Broughton came with a few different members of his family, and I’m told the Texas staff did a fantastic job of including the entire family in the visit. I’m also told that the decision to have the committed offensive line prospects on campus for this visit was huge for Broughton. While Majors and Parr are close with Lindberg, I’m told that they have also become close with Broughton. One source I spoke with came away from the weekend feeling that Texas grabbed a clear lead in this recruitment, but the Longhorns know the work is not done. Broughton will likely visit Texas A&M for an official before making his decision. The big factor for Texas in this one is Oscar Giles. I’m told that the family is really connecting with the Texas defensive line coach in addition to Broughton’s secondary recruiter Craig Naivar. Broughton plans to make his decision in the summer as well, so Texas must continue to push in order to win him over. As of now, I feel good about the Longhorns' chances.

— I’m told that the buy-in from committed offensive linemen Jake Majors, Logan Parr and Jaylen Garth made it easy to host them early on. All three commits are involved in recruiting other players, and their commitments are rock-solid enough to not worry about burning an early official visit. Texas has a relatively small class of five, but I’m told that the staff loves the core group they have built. Though it’s been almost two months since Bishop Dunne ATH Jaden Hullaby made his commitment, there is no panic within the staff. They have a good feel for the remaining targets on their board, and have traditionally found more success once the summer begins.

—Texas found success in the 2018 class by a group of commit's moms led by Natalia Vaughns, mother of Byron Vaughns. As a result, the families have become close outside of the recruitment, which has strengthened the bonds within the recruiting class itself. 2020 might have a similar group of moms, and many of them were in Austin this weekend. This is something to file away, but remember that moms can be the best recruiters out there.

- Four-star defensive lineman Vernon Broughton arrived in style. Broughton came with a few different members of his family, and I’m told the Texas staff did a fantastic job of including the entire family in the visit. I’m also told that the decision to have the committed offensive line prospects on campus for this visit was huge for Broughton. While Majors and Parr are close with Lindberg, I’m told that they have also become close with Broughton. One source I spoke with came away from the weekend feeling that Texas grabbed a clear lead in this recruitment, but the Longhorns know the work is not done. Broughton will likely visit Texas A&M for an official before making his decision. The big factor for Texas in this one is Oscar Giles

giphy.gif

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

IT

By: Eric Nahlin, Justin Wells, and Joe Cook 

Huge official visit weekend means notes, quotes, and everything in between. 

ITINERARY FOR THE WEEKEND

Friday:

- Check in at hotel. Room personalized with pictures
- Dinner at Steiner Ranch Steakhouse. Tomahawks anyone?
- Go out with the players

Saturday: 

- Tour facilities
- Take pictures
- Academic presentation
- Film study
- Meet with players, including parents
- Herman's house for lunch
- Rest at hotel
- Back out with the players

Sunday:

- Breakfast
- Exit meeting with coaches

2020 OL COMMIT LOGAN PARR

The San Antonio O'Connor interior lineman wasted no time committing to Texas and there is zero semblance of second thoughts over that decision.

Highlights of the weekend were the food and hanging out with the coaches including film study with Coach Hand. "I got the tomahawk steak and it was the best steak I've ever had. There were apps and deserts too." Spoken like a true offensive lineman.

Film time with his future position coach also resonated. "Film taught me a lot. Coach Hand came by a practice I had where I got bull-rushed and when we watched film he showed me what I could have done better. I thought that was pretty cool."

But the food. "When we got to Coach Herman's house there were like six food stands out front, two with desserts. One was a donut with chicken tenders on it and they were best tenders I've had." 

Aside the food and bonding with coaches, Parr enjoyed time with fellow recruits and players. He was hosted by junior Derek Kerstetter. Even though the JMBLYA concert was cancelled the players still went out and were able to see the acts at a different venue.

Parr mentioned it was also nice to get to hang out with Duncanville safety Chris Thompson for the first time. Those two got along well and exchanged contact information. 

Now it's back to the real world for the likely guard, though he's nursing a high ankle sprain that will likely keep him out of the rest of spring practice.

Jake Majors and Jaylen Garth also used official visits. That tells you two things: the three offensive linemen are very firm in their pledges, and they're assets recruiting three priority players UT is in good standing with.

2020 SAFETY TARGET CHRIS THOMPSON

"Chris tried to eat that big steak, I told him that was for lineman." - Chris Thompson Sr.

I caught up with the four-star safety's father. He played things pretty close to the vest but also gave an honest account of where the family is.

When I asked for their thoughts on UT, he responded, "Well, I mean, Texas is, let me think about this before I say it: Texas has been on Chris for a long time, since his sophomore year. We know what it has to offer."

One of the touchier subjects was a school or two telling Chris they didn't offer him because they heard he was a silent commit to Texas: "I don't know how they could have heard that. That's not the case. I told Chris don't worry about that stuff." 

He's going to make the best choice for himself and his family.

Regarding the trip specifically: "The whole weekend we were with Coach Naivar and Coach Herman. There were only six guys there, that gave them a lot of time to focus on them. Herman spent a lot of time with them. That was our goal for the unofficials to see which schools we liked but for officials we want to see how these guys are on and off the field and build relationships." 

On how the staff envisions using Chris' skill-set: "Naiver showed him the defense, they've shown him where they see him -- boundary safety but then eventually following the footsteps of Caden. They have big plans for him as well as the guys in the previous classes." 

Visits are still to be determined other than Notre Dame being locked in for June 21st. Florida and LSU are both possibilities as is Georgia though they're still talking about the Bulldogs to see how they feel about them. Auburn will likely receive an official but the dates haven't been set.

As far as a decision date goes: "Before the season. We want to alleviate the distractions and focus on playing. I know there will still be some distractions but committing will help alleviate them."

In the staff's eyes Thompson is one of the biggest fish in the lake.

2020 OFFENSIVE LINEMAN CHAD LINDBERG

I talked to the Clear Creek offensive lineman's mother Emily Lindberg post-visit. 

The staff crossing the i's and dotting the t's:
"The whole weekend was really geared towards Chad you could definitely tell. They are very strategic with everything they do--where you're sitting at every meal, who you interact with is all planned. It made Chad feel very special."

The mothers hanging together:
"We all got along great. I got to spend a lot of time with all of them and got to know Jaylen (Garth's) mom real well, she's awesome by the way. The Card's were able to come hang out with us on Saturday night. I think we all get along great."

Chad's impressions of time with Hand:
"He hasn't told me what he thought, but they really made a point of showing him how he fits into the program. They would show a play of his film and then a play from Texas last year doing the same thing. They showed him what they really liked about him and then what they can do to make him better."

Upcoming visits:
"The only ones I know for sure are LSU (trying to figure out a date) and UGA is June 22nd. Right now we have spring football and AP tests!"

QUICK WORD ON BROUGHTON

I'll get in contact with a Broughton regarding the weekend but I asked numerous people about him and everyone feels good with where UT stands. From observing UT's approach and talking with Vernon's mother it was clear to me Texas was pulling away before the official visit. I think they further distanced themselves but still have to stay the course on Vernon as some heavyweights pursue. 

Vernon staying close to home is something I've felt was likely since last September. I think the proximity advantage is huge. Texas providing a home away from home, but one that is still close, is going to be very, very difficult for other schools to overcome. This is a recruitment that wouldn't go UT's way in 2017 when the blue-chips left the state en masse but times have changed.

I think Texas lands each of the three uncommitted players from this weekend before the end of the summer and can't rule out a spontaneous spur-of-the-moment decision from a couple of them.

Chris Thompson

The four-star safety has been visiting Texas for well over a year now. And after going with his gut, saying Texas was his leader early in the year, his eyes started to wander.

Thompson was so familiar with UT that he didn't know much about any other schools. His family decided to change that. They took an UOV to Clemson and Auburn, while picking up offers from Georgia, Michigan, USC, and Miami among the 34 invitations.

It had only been a few months since his last trip to the ATX, but in recruiting years that's a lifetime. His family made the trip to Texas for his first official visit. And he left still loving the Horns.

“I was able to interact with the players more," said Thompson. "That opened and broadened my mind about Texas. I was able to hang out with people like Josh Thompson, Caden Sterns, Sam Ehlinger, Brandon Jones and others. This was my best visit out of all my Texas visits.”

One of the reasons UT is in such a strong position with the Longhorns is Co-DC/safety coach Craig Naivar. They've known each other for almost two years now.

“Coach Naivar is invested in me and I can truly see he wants me to come here," Thompson said. "If he can help people like Caden, Deshon Elliott, Brandon Jones, and others get better, then I trust in his coaching ability.”

With the Law Firm - Garth, Majors, and Parr - on campus, there was even more recruiting.

"(The UT commits) want me to come," Thompson said. "I talked mainly with Logan (Parr) and Chad (Lindberg), but it wasn’t entirely about football.”

He plans on going to Notre Dame - June 21st, then possibly Auburn, Ohio State, and Stanford. The family slowed things but left with a sense that Texas could be the one. Thompson left feeling maybe his gut is burnt orange.

Jaylen Garth

The quietest of the #cloUT2020 club, Garth is a humble, mannered kid that has grown into a potential monster. At 6-foot-5, 285, the four-star with double-digit offers (he'd have more if he wasn't so committed to UT) blends in with the commit crowd. But don't think he's not paying attention. He's watching everything.

“I always get treated good when I go down to Austin," said Garth. "But this time it was just like more chill, if that makes sense.”

It makes perfect sense. Garth was usually the recruited on these visits, but this time, he's doing the recruiting.

“We just want us to start trying to get other guys,” Garth said. “I feel like Chad (Lindberg) is really close but he said he wants to take all of his officials.”

That's where Garth thrives. He won't pressure other prospects, he just befriends them and reminds them of how great the University of Texas is. He used to trip to Austin with former Port Neches-Groves QB and current UT signal-caller Roschon Johnson. He's seen both sides of the fence.

“I was with Roschon and Tyler Johnson for the most part," Garth said. "We had a great time. Definitely feels like home."

Definitely more chill.

PRINCELY UMANMIELEN

2020 Manor DL Princely Umanmielen’s recruitment is one of the most hotly contested among regional powers for a defensive player.

Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma all have heavily recruited the 6-foot-4.5, 254 pound lineman from just outside of Austin. The experience has been “fun and stressful” according to Umanmielen. Some of that stress is a result of those three regional schools.

“It’s fun, but it’s also weird at the same time,” Umanmielen said Friday. “One time all three of (Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma) came on the same day.”

Although it was reported he made the trip to Austin this past weekend, Inside Texas was told by a program source he didn’t end up making it to campus.

However, just because he didn’t go to Austin this past weekend doesn’t mean he hasn’t already built a connection in other trips he’s made to campus.

“It was fun,” Umanmielen said of the recent Orange-White Game. “It felt like family. I stayed there and hung out with the players after.”

The only two schools Umanmielen would give the “family” tag to were Texas and Oklahoma. The Aggies are high on his list, but Umanmielen couldn’t quite describe the Aggie football program as having a family atmosphere because he hasn’t been able to have a ton of interaction with players on his trips to College Station.

Each school is telling Umanmielen something a little different as far as his position. Texas DL coach Oscar Giles is telling him he’s a 4i, Aggie DEs coach Terry Price is telling him he’s a strong end, and OU DL coach Calvin Thibodeaux is telling him they could move him all over the DL.

Umanmielen said he speaks with Giles every few days and has a good relationship with him. He mentioned Thibodeaux and Price text with him every day.

He plans to release a top five after Manor completes spring practice, and said he wants to commit toward the end of summer before his season starts.

TAHJ BROOKS

It all started when the Buffaloes came charging.

According to 2020 Manor RB and Tulsa commit Tahj Brooks, that’s when his recruitment really took off. Since a Colorado offer in late January, Brooks has picked up 14 Power 5 offers at running back.

“There’s been a lot of new schools,” Brooks said after Manor practice Friday. “I’m just being patient and I’m going to ride with it.”

One of the schools who jumped in during Brooks’ spring, TCU, came by to see him Friday. The Horned Frogs are one of five in-state schools that are seeking Brooks’ services.

While still a Tulsa commit, the 5-foot-9, 212 pound rusher said he is still open right now and will likely make a final decision toward signing day.

In addition to other in-state schools Texas State and Texas Tech, Brooks has been in contact with Texas. 

Texas has sent DL coach Oscar Giles to see him practice. According to Brooks, Texas RBs coach Stan Drayton will be out to see him soon.

“I talk to him almost every two weeks,” Brooks said of Drayton. “It’s just a good talk and we have fun. He’s going to come watch me practice.”

Brooks was able to attend the Orange-White Game and enjoyed meeting players and coaches with his family. He plans to see Duke, Georgia Tech, and Arizona this summer, but could fit Texas in his visit plans if the opportunity presented itself.

As far as notching a Texas offer, like with the rest of his process, Brooks is remaining patient and hoping Drayton likes what he sees when he visits Manor.

“We’ll see what happens then,” Brooks said. “Hopefully it’s an offer.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

Interesting that Roach is saying A&M will get an official from Broughton. OB said his OVs were probably going to be Bama, LSU, OU, and tOSU. I'd like that much better lol.

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Interesting that Roach is saying A&M will get an official from Broughton. OB said his OVs were probably going to be Bama, LSU, OU, and tOSU. I'd like that much better lol.

Is it just me or has OB seemed to jump Horns247 as far as info goes the last month or 2? By no means am I trying to compliment OB but 247 has dropped off tremendously. 

Brian Dohn: Marshawn Lloyd planning return visit - https://247sports.com/Player/MarShawn-Lloyd-46035423/

Spoiler

SPRINGFIELD, Va. – Five-star running MarShawn Lloyd made a trip to South Carolina and also attended Maryland’s spring game.

Beyond that, track dominated the spring for Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha’s Lloyd, who is the No. 6 running back in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, so he is trying to set up visits for later this spring and the summer.

Among the other schools he wants to visit are Georgia, Clemson, Notre Dame, Penn State and Texas, but he is not even close to making a decision.

“We may wait until after the season,” the 5-foot-9, 206-pound Lloyd said at The Opening Regional at The St. James. “I am still trying to get (more engaged in recruiting). I want somewhere I can be the best I can be, that will help me academic-wise, and help me pursue (a career) for life after football.”

Lloyd shared his thoughts on the aforementioned schools:

Georgia: “I’ve been there twice so far. I love it every time I go there. It’s a great school. Me and (running backs) coach (Dell) McGee, we talk pretty much every day. It’s been great.

“It’s RB U. They put running backs in (the NFL). They develop running backs the best. It’s amazing down there. They help you after football. I really like those things about Georgia.”

Clemson: “I really want to get back to Clemson. I only went there for like two hours. I didn’t really get a chance to see it but I liked what I saw.”

Maryland: “(The spring game) was amazing. It was a great experience. The players are definitely working hard. It was definitely a good experience. I like what they are doing at Maryland right now.”

“It’s a new coach (Mike Locksley), and everything seems like it is getting put together.”

Notre Dame: “The new running back coach (Lance Taylor), I am getting close to him. We started talking. Notre Dame has always been a great school to me, so I want to go check it out. I am trying to get to know (Taylor) more.”

Penn State: “Penn State is definitely involved. They produce running backs – Saquon Barkley, Miles Sanders. It seems like all their running backs do well, which I really like about Penn State.”

South Carolina: “I like (running backs) coach (Thomas) Brown, and coach (Will) Muschamp is a great coach. I am building a relationship with both of them and it is going well.”

Texas: “It’s a different environment down there. I went down there for track and loved it. I loved the campus. It was different. The kids down there are fast, a different breed. I really enjoyed the campus. I fell in love with Texas when I was down there.”

Edited by Dummy
  • Like 1