Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Just now, Fud said:

They've been the most adamant about playing together I can remember from non-family members. Were Malcom Brown and Tim Cole this adamant? I think you have to treat it like a package deal. 

The quotes I've seen about them 100% attending the same school have been from George, but I may have missed something from Evans.

4 minutes ago, elguapo said:

The quotes I've seen about them 100% attending the same school have been from George, but I may have missed something from Evans.

Evans has been more adamant than George in the quotes I've seen 

• Like 1

Spoiler

—I had the opportunity to watch Temple wide receiver Quentin Johnston in action today. Johnston is a quiet kid, and he doesn’t even announce his offers on twitter, but his play is anything but quiet. He was Jared Wiley’s top target last year, and he has all of the length and athleticism to be a superstar at receiver. Johnston gets off the line with a bounce, and he can long stride past anyone in a matter of steps. He reminds me of Texas A&M signee Dylan Wright in regard to his athletic package, and former TCU wide receiver Omar Manning in his personality.

—Johnston isn’t in a rush to narrow anything down. He told me that TCU, Oklahoma, and Texas are the schools really standing out to him right now, and he’s looking to get back to Austin for a visit during the summer. Having Jared Wiley on campus really helps Texas here, but Johnston told me that he feels very comfortable with wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer. If Texas pushes, I think they can land Johnston.

—Speaking of Mehringer, I’m told he will be out and about this week on the hunt for more pass catchers. Mehringer is expected to be in California to see Calabasas wide receiver Johnny Wilson and Los Angeles (Ca.) Cathedral wide receiver Chad Johnson Jr. The son of former NFL star Chad Johnson is currently committed to Arizona State, but I’m told that he has a deep interest in Texas. The four-star wide receiver considers a dream school, and he grew up watching the Longhorns as a child.

—Mehringer won’t be the only coach leaving the state this week. I’m told that Tim Beck is scheduled to make a swing through Arizona to see priority Texas targets Kelee Ringo, Bijan Robinson, and Lathan Ransom. Beck is a former Arizona high school coach and was instrumental in the Longhorns landing Jake Smith and Brayden Liebrock last year.

—Our Clint Buckley was out at Manor today to see four-star defensive lineman Princely Umanmielen. It was reported that Umanmielen would be coming to campus over the weekend for an unofficial visit, but he told Clint that he wasn’t able to make it. Umanmielen did say that he expects to be back in Austin for a summer visit.

and then

I'm not sure I can say. The board isn't even really set at this point. I have some confidence in landing Johnny Wilson, but I think Texas is taking their time and finding the right guys.

8 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Thought McGowan had written us off?

I haven't followed recruiting much this cycle. But I feel if we can take a player that can get some carries and help depth like McGowan or the west mesquite kid it'll help with Evans. If Evans falls through we still get a good quality back and go all in with Wheaton the following year.

8 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

I haven't followed recruiting much this cycle. But I feel if we can take a player that can get some carries and help depth like McGowan or the west mesquite kid it'll help with Evans. If Evans falls through we still get a good quality back and go all in with Wheaton the following year.

McGowan would be nice but I think we didn’t prioritize him and now it might be too late. But you never know. I just want a rainmaker THIS year. We were shrugging off missing on Sanders/Cain last year, saying we were all in on Evans this year. We have to land one of these guys. Granted, Whittington looks to be a pleasant surprise but I want a 5-star RB this year and I’m willing to fire off a strongly-worded letter to make it happen.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Scholz said:

McGowan would be nice but I think we didn’t prioritize him and now it might be too late. But you never know. I just want a rainmaker THIS year. We were shrugging off missing on Sanders/Cain last year, saying we were all in on Evans this year. We have to land one of these guys. Granted, Whittington looks to be a pleasant surprise but I want a 5-star RB this year and I’m willing to fire off a strongly-worded letter to make it happen.

If we don't land a 5 star RB this cycle it would be a major failure for the staff considering the number of guys we are in on.

Edited by elguapo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

If we don't land a 5 star RB this cycle it would be a major failure for the staff considering the number of guys we are in on.

Fo sho. Plus I believe they are building a great oline. It's a long season and Evans is a nsd day 2 kid. The most important thing is they need to win games.

Drayton has been a massive disappointment on the trail, he's in the lower half of recruiters on our on-field staff. He has to be behind Beck, Washington, Naivar, Hand, Meekins and Coach Herman.

Edited by Goodman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Maybe if someone like Giles was on the job, but that's out of Drayton's league, unless Beck can get Bijan to commit on these hittas.

c1f28bdcf7acd269d8352aaa21c4731b.jpg

As much as I think I would love the money and the position of coaching college athletes, fuck that noise right there.

5 minutes ago, coachkiss said:

I do it with the girls, I could easily fire off a few to guys while I’m waiting on responses.

Just don't mix up who you're texting and mistakenly send a 4 star recruit a note asking for 30 minutes of his time.

• Haha 1

(Eric Nahlin) On Vernon Broughton

I was able to catch up with the mother of elite defensive end prospect Vernon Broughton (Cy Ridge) after the family made their official visit to Austin this past weekend. 

Per the usual Yolanda Wells-Brought offered some great insightful answers, but perhaps her most telling reply is one she mostly declined.

Judging by your tweets since the visit it seems like things went well. How did they hook you? 

Yolanda Wells-Broughton: "I don't want to reveal it because I want to see other school's authenticity and see other schools at face value and not trying to duplicate Texas. I don't want to say too much. Hollywood couldn't write the script, it was a wonderful weekend, and Texas rolled out the burnt orange carpet. I'll say that."

When last we talked, which was recently, you mentioned wanting to feel comfortable about UT more so away from football. Did they accomplish that? Do you feel more comfortable?

YW-B: "I do, I really do. The thing that impressed me, what Texas impresses upon these kids is they have an ability to build their own brand before they graduate. I tell my kids they need to get more out of the university than the university gets out of the student-athlete."

How are those selling points received by Vernon? Opportunity and networking.

YW-B: "When we got home from the visit we were doing some yard work and Vernon was, 'hey what about this, what about that.' We had a really good conversation in regards to that (opportunities away from football). My mother had a salon for 30 years. Since he's been a little kid he's been thinking entrepreneurialship. He's worked in my mother's beauty shop cleaning up and serving her clients, he attempted a lemonade stands, He's had lemonade stands, mowed neighbor's yards, he planted Sago palm trees that he sold to earn cash. It appears Texas does a really good job of branding their student-athletes and providing a plethora of opportunities in life beyond football and he likes that."

How did it go interacting with the other families? 

YW-B: "On the whole, the parents, the recruits, the lingo they were speaking it appeared to be a great group of young men. High character young men, opening doors, allowing ladies to enter first. I was really impressed with all the recruits and their families! At the end of the day, "Players want to play with players," this CLOUT 2020 would be a fine group of young men to start with in mamma's opinion! I'm sure they had a good time away from us and we had a good time away from them." 

Ha ha, I'll bet! Vernon is in demand but on a shorter decision timeline, recently you mentioned a summer decision. That means things are about to pick up. Where do you go from here?

YW-B: "We have LSU, I think LSU is next. Then Ohio State and I think Alabama is after that. We're trying to wrap it up because I need to focus on my younger children. Visits will be done by June with a decision in July because my daughter has travel ball in July."

Any parting thoughts?

YW-B: "He/We are looking for the strongest education environment that will meet his needs academically, prepare him for the real-world life after football, an opportunity where he can grow and develop as a Christian young man, and lastly a program that's gonna develop him on and off the field. I'm still trying to get a feel for where he's leaning but I know he really enjoyed the trip. We will continue praying about the decision together as a family."

My take:

It appears he Texas staff is hitting all the right notes in a recruitment it is well equipped to win. If they pull this recruitment off, it's a tremendous compliment to the coaches. With Yolanda Wells-Broughton's background as a college basketball coach, she's able to separate recruiting pitches from genuine conversations. 

As he gets closer to a decision Vernon seems to be wanting to play things closer to the vest but he's named UT his leader in the past and it would take a lot for a school to catch the Horns in my estimation.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

I just read Mrs. Broughton's interview with Nahlin and I am super-impressed by both her responses and also what it seems like our coaches have in mind for each of these young men. The whole thing about "building your brand"  really resonates with me, personally, since that is what I'm trying to do, too. But Mrs. Broughton sure seems like a sharp cookie, somebody who "gets"  the bigger picture.  Surely that has to bode well for a school like Texas vis a vis schools like LSU etc...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Broughton’s mom mentions LSU, osu, and Alabama but not aggy. They could easily get the other OV but they don’t seem to be on her mind at this point. 

It lines up with what OB said. The final OV is between OU, A&M, and Arkansas, and it'll probably be OU.

The Broughton recruitment really seems like one we will win, but I can't help but shake all the stuff about there being some shadiness in that one. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

2 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

It lines up with what OB said. The final OV is between OU, A&M, and Arkansas, and it'll probably be OU.

The Broughton recruitment really seems like one we will win, but I can't help but shake all the stuff about there being some shadiness in that one. 

Broughton's mom is on the LSU Women's Basketball Staff and Oeaux is recruiting lights out. Texas leading at this point is a small miracle. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Broughton's mom is on the LSU Women's Basketball Staff and Oeaux is recruiting lights out. Texas leading at this point is a small miracle. 

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

was. She left in 2008 after coaching for LSU for a season and a half.

Likely why she understands the benefits of attending school here.

Edited by Goodman

13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

JACotF.

just a child of the forest?

7 hours ago, elguapo said:

prepare your anus. 

18 hours ago, Scholz said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 1