Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

17 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Roach - Film Room: Evaluating New Texas Commit Mitchell

Hide contents

ILB Juwan Mitchell, El Dorado (Kan.) Butler C.C.

Strengths: Mitchell has a thick frame with good weight and bulk. He shows good initial burst and the ability to read and react quickly to fill running lanes. He moves downhill with very little wasted motion, and he shows good tackling ability. Mitchell plays physically at the point of attack, and he shows good closing speed. Mitchell plays with a strong motor and doesn’t appear uncomfortable dropping into coverage. Mitchell plays with an edge, and he brings the physicality Todd Orlando looks for in linebackers.

Areas for improvement: Mitchell is somewhat limited athletically, and he appears to struggle with changing directions quickly. He runs well when he reaches top speed, but his lateral ability is lacking. Mitchell could improve on using his hands to shed blockers at the point of attack.7COMMENTS

Fit for Texas: Mitchell’s eligibility to immediately enroll is huge for a Texas team that is looking for immediate help at the linebacker position. Mitchell should be able to compete for time at the “Mac” position and push Ayodele Adoeye for playing time. He will also be able to contribute on special teams from the moment he reaches campus.

Recruitment: Mitchell played his high school ball at Mater Dei high school in Middletown, NJ. A full-qualifier, Mitchell is available to enroll in June. He was previously committed to Rutgers and Minnesota, and he ultimately chose Texas over offers from Arkansas, UTEP, and Old Dominion. At 6-foot-1, 235 pounds, Mitchell is ranked as the No. 1 JUCO inside linebacker in the nation and No. 5 overall prospect in New Jersey, according to 247Sports Composite.

I'm so glad Roach replaced EJ. Roach can actually evaluate, knows football, and you don't have to deal with all the pretentious bullshit.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

With guys like him and Adeoye, it’s all about how quickly they can diagnose the play and avoid false steps. It’s hard to tell on film how that will translate to this level, especially because Big 12 offensive minds are the bets in the nation at causing defenders to see ghosts.

He, and other box specific off the ball backers we can, have to be more athletic than Adeoye, and he looks like he is to me 

27 minutes ago, Fud said:

He, and other box specific off the ball backers we can, have to be more athletic than Adeoye, and he looks like he is to me 

Yeah. I’d say he’s probably more athletic than Dele, and i’d Bet he’s a good step above Dele in zone coverage drops. He didn’t have a ton of those clips, but he drops really naturally while keeping his head up to see the play.

It still comes down to how quick those two can read and react. Wheeler’s biggest problem wasn’t a lack of agility, even though that was a problem, his problem was that he spent four years here and was still slow AF to diagnose the play and move to the ball. Wheeler seemed like he was always the last defender in the box to actually move to the ball. 

Hopefully someone clicks at Mac. Wheeler and the Nickel (Locke against OSU and Thompson against WVU) were the two biggest reasons we lost those games. We can’t afford to run out a Mac who’s that slow to the ball for another year. Switching out Foster for Thompson/Locke will do a lot to fix the Nickel position, but we lose way too many starters elsewhere to not improve our weakest spot from last year. 

IT

READING THE TEA LEAVES

North Shore offensive lineman Damieon George might make a decision on his school of choice this summer. If I were to bet on it, I think he will.

As of now we have to take the package deal with running back Zach Evans at face value. If I were to bet on that deal, I'd bet they play together.

With Evans being the five-star and George the three-star it seems odd that George would announce first. When I ask people at North Shore about it, they just say the situation is different but they're adamant the two will play together.

That would mean if George committed somewhere in July, that school automatically becomes the front-runner for Evans. Either that, or it means George already doesn't value a commitment he has yet to make. I don't buy that. I've heard he doesn't want to be seen as following Evans and who can blame him.

Recently I heard something interesting. Somebody I trust floated the notion that maybe Evans already has an idea of where he wants to go. If that's accurate then George's decision could be a huge tell.

My George intel has me thinking he has a top-three of LSU, Texas, and Alabama, however I've heard Alabama is waning. As has been mentioned in the past, George is originally from Louisiana. My gut is telling me LSU is the likeliest school for him at this point. I know they've been very aggressive in his recruitment.

Texas is monitoring the George recruitment closely and I wouldn't rule out a summer official visit. North Shore is likely to play well into December, making a post-season official visit unlikely for both he and Evans.

JASE AND BIJAN?

From my vantage Texas has about as good of, if not a better chance of landing Aledo's Jase McClellan or Salpointe Catholic's (Tucson) Bijan Robinson as Evans.

If Texas were to land a ridiculous duo, I think the only one that's even remotely possible is McClellan and Robinson, but just signing one would be a huge success.

Joe posted on Monday that McClellan will decide at the Under Armour game in early January. This really caught my eye because I know UT's chances would be next to zero to land him if the Horns signed Evans.

With Robinson, Texas will receive an official visit but will look to set that up strategically -- closer to him making a decision. Perhaps he'll visit with teammate Lathan Ransom?

I still feel confident Texas will land an elite running back, but your guess is as good as mine as to which one that would be.

Are you guys longing for the days of recruiting Keaontay Ingram, the most drama free recruitment you'll ever find at the position?

Embrace the musical chairs, I think it's going to work out for Texas.

KOURT WILLIAMS

Todd Orlando made his way to the other Magic Kingdom on Monday and dropped by St. John Bosco linebacker Kourt Williams.

Williams was a known commodity out west but really blew up when he ran a 4.60 40, 4.09 shuttle, and leaped 39" in the vertical. At 6-foot-1, 216 pounds he profiles as a Rover.

While the staff continues to work on LSU commit Josh White, it charted a course after Williams recently.

The visit yesterday seems to have paid off, at least a bit. With the 2019 linebacker halfway down the road in his process, it looked like UT would struggle to just get a visit. He initially said he'd visit if it fit into his schedule. Now he sounds like he might try and make it fit.

"It was great, I was able to have a great conversation with him [Orlando]," said Williams. He continued, "It's a place I would like to check out...if I find a date I'll figure something out."

Williams has already taken an official visit to Texas A&M, and will see Ohio State the weekend of June 21st.

Texas isn't the only school jumping in "late." TCU, Alabama, and Miami have all offered in the last week.

He'd be a great fit at Rover. Let's see if they can make a visit happen.

By: Joe Cook

QUENTIN JOHNSTON

Temple High School is consistently one of the strongest programs in Central Texas, and in recent years, has been the home of high-powered passing attacks of the veer and shoot variety.

The offense Sterlin Gilbert made popular at Temple is still there, and 2020 WR Quentin Johnston is a big part of why the Wildcat offense could prove effective yet again even without current Texas TE and former Temple QB Jared Wiley at the helm.

“Our back-up last year, Vance (Willis), he picked up a lot of tips and key points of overall quarterbacking form Jared,” Johnston said. “This summer, me, Vance, and other receivers are going to be working hard until we get everything right.”

Before spring drills started, Johnston focused on the high jump for Temple. He posted a PR of 6-10 earlier in the season, and his 6-8 at the 6A Region II finals was just short of the number needed to make it to Austin.

That 6-8 was the result of loftier goals. “It was actually 7-0, but I actually fell short of that,” Johnston said.

Johnston, who said he’s currently 6-foot-4, 190 pounds, is still getting used to the attention his play has garnered.

“It’s been fun but at the same time a little bit overwhelming because all the colleges are coming at once,” Johnston said. “It’s a good experience, but it has its moments.”

He lines up on the outside for the Wildcats’ fast-paced offense. He’s first in line for every drill, gets out of his break well, and he capably runs the routes the offense tasks him with.

During Monday’s practice with Oklahoma State on hand to scout him, Johnston looked in every ball during individual drills and made several plays in full scrimmage action. The Cowboys joined Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, TCU, Arizona, and Nebraska as schools that have been through Central Texas to put eyes on him.

Regarding the Longhorns, Drew Mehringer made the trek up IH-35 to see Johnston at Temple. Johnston has made the trip down to Austin as well.

“It’s just the overall feeling of family,” Johnston said regarding what stands out about the Longhorns. “I remember my first visit there, it felt like I had been there before, like I had been in the locker room.”

Put simply, “it had an overall home feel.”

He placed the Longhorns very high on his list of schools, but there’s no rush for Johnston to make a decision. For a process he described a couple times as overwhelming, Johnston is trying to absorb as much information as possible about schools recruiting him before he takes the next step in the process.

Johnston does plan to see Texas after Temple is finished with spring drills. He also plans to trip to OU, Baylor, and TCU but doesn’t have any dates solidified for when those will be, just that it will be during the summer.

• Like 1

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/05/open-post-tuesday-may-14th/

Troy Omeire | Top Four | Discussion
– Super K

2020 TX WR target, Troy Omeire dropped his top four recently…

I’ll be checking next week to see how serious of contenders LSU and Bama are. We all know Texas and TAMU are in it. But everything I’ve heard up until now is that family wants him to stay in Texas.

But I have to admit, for some reason in this cycle, LSU keeps popping up with what seems like every recruit Texas is close to nabbing. So, I’m not going to discount them entirely until I do a little more digging.

TFB Talking Point | Good News Needed
– Super K

It’s been a slow recruiting season. A lot of Texas targets holding off their commitment timelines and in other cases some misses.

What Texas has really been in need of is a little shot in the arm to get some momentum going.

I had a conversation with an in-state recruit fairly recently and he made a noteworthy comment regarding the state of Texas recruiting.

I asked him if Texas had checked all the boxes and he said pretty frankly, they had not.

One of the boxes he wanted checked was simply the desire to make sure last year’s progress was an anomaly – that it was actually a point on a line trending upwards. Fair enough but not something I felt he was particular concerned about.

The bigger point to me was he said something to the effect that, soldiers want to know who they’re going to go to war with.

He expanded on that by saying that at this point, while he likes Texas, he has very little idea who he’d been playing with or in his analogy, who he’d be going to the battle with.

This is perhaps part of the issue that can arise when a school isn’t able to build a core group of recruits within a specific region. To see how the opposite works, look at this year’s Texas offensive line class. Texas pretty much put a wall around the state.

Kids in the region know each other. They follow each other, they compete against each other and they talk to each other. So, when the group text messages are full of, “Texas is the move” it gives recruits the sense that there is burnt orange momentum.

Texas has to continue to recruit the best players, including those out of state but it’ll be important to find that balance in order to create a regional recruiting base of players and parents that set the foundation for each class.

I spoke with a source over at flagship university in a big recruiting state and we talked about a particular position group and player. The player we discussed was a highly rated out-of-state player. Source said that while they had offered the player and were recruiting him, they hadn’t received final word from the head coach to take said player.

Why?

Apparently because at that position group, they’d already taken one out of state player and there were concerns from the head coach about taking a certain percentage at each position group from outside the state and the possible negative effects it could have on their ability to recruit the region and their recruitment overall.

The point isn’t really whether they will take the player or not. The point is really that this is obviously an important point of discussion for a staff. And, I know Texas is having that discussion.

Having said all that, I believe good news is on the way…

I can’t offer any hints but I’ll just tell you that it’s starting to look like before this month is out, Texas fans will receive multiple pieces of good news on the recruiting front that could get the 2020 ball rolling.

Stay tuned…

The Latest | Texas In Top Five For Princely Umanmielen
– Charlie S

2020 Manor, TX, Defensive Line prospect Princely Umanmielen announced his top five via Twitter last night…

Texas made the cut as expected.

Per his latest update, Super K said wrote that according to his sources in the Manor area, it sounds like Texas and LSU are starting to separate themselves at the top.

Princely plans on taking his official visits before making a decision.

Juwan Mitchell Commits to Texas
– Super K

No surprise here. Texas has landed Butler CC LB, Juwan Mitchell. As we mentioned over the weekend, Mitchell should be eligible to enroll and join the team this summer.

This should provide the defense with a needed boost in both depth and competition.

Mitchell took his official visit to Texas this past weekend and we had been told that the likely scenario was that he would return home to speak with his family and then make his announcement.

There was a small chance of him taking a final trip to Miami but it appears that is no longer the case.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/05/open-post-tuesday-may-14th/

Reveal hidden contents

Troy Omeire | Top Four | Discussion
– Super K

2020 TX WR target, Troy Omeire dropped his top four recently…

I’ll be checking next week to see how serious of contenders LSU and Bama are. We all know Texas and TAMU are in it. But everything I’ve heard up until now is that family wants him to stay in Texas.

But I have to admit, for some reason in this cycle, LSU keeps popping up with what seems like every recruit Texas is close to nabbing. So, I’m not going to discount them entirely until I do a little more digging.

TFB Talking Point | Good News Needed
– Super K

It’s been a slow recruiting season. A lot of Texas targets holding off their commitment timelines and in other cases some misses.

What Texas has really been in need of is a little shot in the arm to get some momentum going.

I had a conversation with an in-state recruit fairly recently and he made a noteworthy comment regarding the state of Texas recruiting.

I asked him if Texas had checked all the boxes and he said pretty frankly, they had not.

One of the boxes he wanted checked was simply the desire to make sure last year’s progress was an anomaly – that it was actually a point on a line trending upwards. Fair enough but not something I felt he was particular concerned about.

The bigger point to me was he said something to the effect that, soldiers want to know who they’re going to go to war with.

He expanded on that by saying that at this point, while he likes Texas, he has very little idea who he’d been playing with or in his analogy, who he’d be going to the battle with.

This is perhaps part of the issue that can arise when a school isn’t able to build a core group of recruits within a specific region. To see how the opposite works, look at this year’s Texas offensive line class. Texas pretty much put a wall around the state.

Kids in the region know each other. They follow each other, they compete against each other and they talk to each other. So, when the group text messages are full of, “Texas is the move” it gives recruits the sense that there is burnt orange momentum.

Texas has to continue to recruit the best players, including those out of state but it’ll be important to find that balance in order to create a regional recruiting base of players and parents that set the foundation for each class.

I spoke with a source over at flagship university in a big recruiting state and we talked about a particular position group and player. The player we discussed was a highly rated out-of-state player. Source said that while they had offered the player and were recruiting him, they hadn’t received final word from the head coach to take said player.

Why?

Apparently because at that position group, they’d already taken one out of state player and there were concerns from the head coach about taking a certain percentage at each position group from outside the state and the possible negative effects it could have on their ability to recruit the region and their recruitment overall.

The point isn’t really whether they will take the player or not. The point is really that this is obviously an important point of discussion for a staff. And, I know Texas is having that discussion.

Having said all that, I believe good news is on the way…

I can’t offer any hints but I’ll just tell you that it’s starting to look like before this month is out, Texas fans will receive multiple pieces of good news on the recruiting front that could get the 2020 ball rolling.

Stay tuned…

The Latest | Texas In Top Five For Princely Umanmielen
– Charlie S

2020 Manor, TX, Defensive Line prospect Princely Umanmielen announced his top five via Twitter last night…

Texas made the cut as expected.

Per his latest update, Super K said wrote that according to his sources in the Manor area, it sounds like Texas and LSU are starting to separate themselves at the top.

Princely plans on taking his official visits before making a decision.

Juwan Mitchell Commits to Texas
– Super K

No surprise here. Texas has landed Butler CC LB, Juwan Mitchell. As we mentioned over the weekend, Mitchell should be eligible to enroll and join the team this summer.

This should provide the defense with a needed boost in both depth and competition.

Mitchell took his official visit to Texas this past weekend and we had been told that the likely scenario was that he would return home to speak with his family and then make his announcement.

There was a small chance of him taking a final trip to Miami but it appears that is no longer the case.

Boy the Good News Needed update went from "let's all buy some cyanide pills" to maximum sunshine in a hurry.

• Like 2

Why?

Is this the new version of Charlie Strong is alienating Texas high school coaches by recruiting out of state? What a load of shit. Last cycle Bama took 5 Alabama kids in a 27 man class. Georgia took 6 local kids in a 24 man class. LSU took 10 Louisiana kids out of 25. Clemson took 3 SC kids out of 29.  OU only took 2 Oklahoma kids out of 24. We took 12 Texans out of 25 in what was considered an unprecedented and disproportionate out of state haul. If the high school coaches don't want Texas to recruit out of state, they could start by not sending their blue chips to Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma and Ohio State. I'm pretty sure Texas would make that trade.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Is this the new version of Charlie Strong is alienating Texas high school coaches by recruiting out of state? What a load of shit. Last cycle Bama took 5 Alabama kids in a 27 man class. Georgia took 6 local kids in a 24 man class. LSU took 10 Louisiana kids out of 25. Clemson took 3 SC kids out of 29.  OU only took 2 Oklahoma kids out of 24. We took 12 Texans out of 25 in what was considered an unprecedented and disproportionate out of state haul. If the high school coaches don't want Texas to recruit out of state, they could start by not sending their blue chips to Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma and Ohio State. I'm pretty sure Texas would make that trade.

I'm not defending Super K here, but the assertions about Strong vs. Herman are distinctly different:

Charlie Strong pissed off Texas high school head coaches by looking out of state.

Tom Herman is struggling to build consensus among Texas high school players because he is recruiting out of state more.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Tom Herman is struggling to build consensus among Texas high school players because he is recruiting out of state more.

Is this really a narrative that has enough weight to compel someone to write an article about it? I do not believe it is. I would lean to believing that this is some Zero U negative recruiting garbage, through which they are trying to persuade recruits that the success Texas had last year was just a hiccup in the Burglar universe. Perhaps this narrative is even getting more life because of Super K, and he threw in the token "good news coming this  month" for neutrality's sake.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Is there even a flagship university that takes more instate players than us?

Edited by Bevo14

6 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Is this really a narrative that has enough weight to compel someone to write an article about it? I do not believe it is. I would lean to believing that this is some Zero U negative recruiting garbage, through which they are trying to persuade recruits that the success Texas had last year was just a hiccup in the Burglar universe. Perhaps this narrative is even getting more life because of Super K, and he threw in the token "good news coming this  month" for neutrality's sake.

Which always comes back to "win and they will come." If Texas keeps winning it won't matter. I have the utmost respect for Texas HSFB, but the sandy vagina's some players and coaches get about having their ego's stroked by the local college coaches is pathetic. It's quite obvious UT wants the best athletes Texas has to offer but won't (nor should it) wait around while recruits go off and flirt with the LSU, Oklahoma, Alabama's of the world. Texas will fill your position with someone just as capable from another state. 

Edited by RoyalBevo21
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Amy guesses who the multiple commits could be by the end of the month that Super K alluded to?

If I’m being optimistic, I’d say Broughton and Lindberg, maybe Omeire but who knows with him. Washington could commit soon, but is schedule for early July and his OV to Texas is late June, so likely not this month.

Maybe throw Thompson in there too, although I think he has quite a few more OVs he plans to take. 

1 minute ago, Bevo14 said:

Seriously, is there a flagship university that even takes more instate players than us?

No. It’s fucking stupid and is surely the result of negative recruiting, not to mention that the large majority’s of this class and the 2018 class will be in-state guys. Once we start landing a few of the big fish mentioned above, I think a consensus will start to build, but the earlier we do it, the better. Getting Duncanville guys would likely help our building consensus in DFW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Boy the Good News Needed update went from "let's all buy some cyanide pills" to maximum sunshine in a hurry.

I came back and read it after taking the pills. I'm having a Romeo and Juliet moment with the computer. It's been rea

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Haha 1

Fwiw, regarding May vs June vs July, Suchomel from today

Texas did just get a commitment on Monday night, but I think it’s entirely possible we see a bit of a lull in “major” recruiting developments over the next month-and-a-half, before seeing things really pick up steam in July and to a lesser degree, August.

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Texas did just get a commitment on Monday night, but I think it’s entirely possible we see a bit of a lull in “major” recruiting developments over the next month-and-a-half, before seeing things really pick up steam in July and to a lesser degree, August.

This sounds right. Unless Princely takes his OVs soon or we knock one of Lindberg/Broughton/Thompson off their timelines, Kitan Crawford or Jahari Rogers will probably announce after their OVs, which won't occur until late June.

23 minutes ago, Fud said:

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This sounds right. Unless Princely takes his OVs soon or we knock one of Lindberg/Broughton/Thompson off their timelines, Kitan Crawford or Jahari Rogers will probably announce after their OVs, which won't occur until late June.

If I'm picking between believing TFB and OB, that's a pretty easy decision to make.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Which always comes back to "win and they will come." If Texas keeps winning it won't matter. I have the utmost respect for Texas HSFB, but the sandy vagina's some players and coaches get about having their ego's stroked by the local college coaches is pathetic. It's quite obvious UT wants the best athletes Texas has to offer but won't (nor should it) wait around while recruits go off and flirt with the LSU, Oklahoma, Alabama's of the world. Texas will fill your position with someone just as capable from another state. 

+1.  I'll tell you what, if the coaches and players agree to let us pick our 25 first each year, we won't recruit out of state.  Last I've seen, most of the Texas players consider OOS schools.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

No. It’s fucking stupid and is surely the result of negative recruiting, not to mention that the large majority’s of this class and the 2018 class will be in-state guys. Once we start landing a few of the big fish mentioned above, I think a consensus will start to build, but the earlier we do it, the better. Getting Duncanville guys would likely help our building consensus in DFW.

^^^^Thank You^^^^

Honestly tired of the entitled state of Texas recruits narrative..... it's just a lazy weakass 9.95er narrative to stay in the good graces of HS coaches and Tx trainers.   Texas should sign the best group of competitive players no matter what state they are from.

Hermanator just needs to:

• Win 10+ games in 2019
  • Keep developing recruiting relationships
  • Get best OKG players (Our Kind of Guys)
  • Recruit in-state and nationally
  • Add a Strong Recruiter to 2020 staff

Not imperative, but a B12 Championship in 2019 would significantly elevate the profile of the Texas Football program.  🤘  

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Honestly tired of the entitled state of Texas recruits narrative..... it's just a lazy weakass 9.95er narrative to stay in the good graces of HS coaches and Tx trainers.   Texas should sign the best group of competitive players no matter what state they are from.

Hermanator just needs to:

• Win 10+ games in 2019
  • Keep developing recruiting relationships
  • Get best OKG players (Out Kind of Guys)
  • Recruit in-state and nationally
  • Add a Strong Recruiter to 2020 staff

Not imperative, but a B12 Championship in 2019 would significantly elevate the profile of the Texas Football program.  🤘

Not only that, but we’ve generally prioritized in-state players every year under Herman. A lot of the times we’ve gone OOS is when the in state target picks a different school. 

• Like 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Not only that, but we’ve generally prioritized in-state players every year under Herman. A lot of the times we’ve gone OOS is when the in state target picks a different school. 

We didn't even go out of state that much with Strong, its just a go to negative recruiting tactic rivals use, and it works when we don't win.

• Like 1

So fucking tired of this narrative making the rounds. And quoting an unnamed defensive recruit, who is clearly repeating shit he’s been spoon fed by (insert opposing coaching staff here) is not helping anything. As pointed out, Texas really is the only Flagship program that deals with this shit. Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, USC, Blow U...all take elite national players from any state they can, and I NEVER read about their in-state players or coaches getting butt-hurt. 

Edited by Sejjr
  • Like 1